Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

What should I do? I found a car, but it might not be for sale...

My parents bought a brand new 1983 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ new; I was 8 y-o at the time. I essentially grew up with this car, and learned how to drive on it. May of 1993 my mom traded it in and it was gone forever (I did see it on two separate occasions in 1994). Ever since then, I've had a special place in my heart for these unloved GPs, and vowed one day to own one (even though it was never really mine, I treated it like it was my own before I bought my first car, a '78 Camaro LT, in 1992). Over the years I'd spot one for sale or just sitting alone, but all have needed work. Last Sunday I was out cruising around looking at dealer inventories and I spotted this:

DSCN6174.jpg

DSCN6173.jpg

I've seen this car before, in the same spot, but never really "noticed" it (I wasn't looking for this at the time). There's a very SMALL Pontiac-Cadillac dealer in Burlington County (NJ) that stores 75% of his inventory (about 5 new cars) inside of the garage on weekends. While peeking in to see if they had a G8, I spotted the '84-'87 GP LE pictured above. There was also a 6000LE and an '80s El Camino in there too, none of which look like they have been driven or moved in a LONG time. They all are wearing dealer's tags, but again, they don't look like they've been moved as the amount of dust covering them is apparent looking through the window.

So my question is, should I contact the dealership and ask about the status of this car? The reason I've been hesitating is that I found it by looking through their garage window on a day the dealership was closed - it's not like it was parked outside - so would they think I want to break in? Would they take me seriously? Even if they said it was for sale, I only have a small amount available ($1k), so I'm guessing I wouldn't have enough to buy it. But should I try anyway? And if you say yes, how should I word it?

If it belongs to the dealership, it's for sale. Everythings for sale, but as clean as the car looks in the pictures, $1k won't be enough. The car is worth more than that, plus at a dealer you're gonna pay more than if it belonged to an individual. Maybe it belongs to one of the employees. One of our techs has tons of cars stored on our lot, and all of his are for sale. Can you see the car during the day when they are open? Just tell them you saw it and would like to know if it's for sale, no big deal, but the money could be an issue. If you show an interest, then they'll know there are still people willing to put forth an effort for the car so the next day it could be out on point with a price on it. You need to be ready with more money.

Well, I just sent the dealership owner an e-mail; hopefully I get good news back soon. If it is for sale, and the price is negotiable, I'll tell them they can keep the Thule aftermarket carrier to knock off some $$$ :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the input so far. Anyone know of a good site to check out GPs of this vintage? I'd like to know options, features, etc. for this generation.

Well, I just sent the dealership owner an e-mail; hopefully I get good news back soon. If it is for sale, and the price is negotiable, I'll tell them they can keep the Thule aftermarket carrier to knock off some $$$ :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the input so far. Anyone know of a good site to check out GPs of this vintage? I'd like to know options, features, etc. for this generation.

Might Wanna Ask Cort, those are essentially Monte Carlos...

I'm still on my quest for a 1968 Pontiac Grand Prix!

>>"I'm still on my quest for a 1968 Pontiac Grand Prix!"<<

Ooo, now you're in my neighborhood. Need a 428 car or is 350 HP enough for you? I like the '68s, but they sure are good at hiding- I never see them.

As a possible aside, I know of a real nice '70 wagon that may be available to tide you over.....

GMTG- I think I have most all of the '80s Pontiac brochures handy, let me know if you get it & need info...

That's a pretty car, hopefully it's 301/305/307-powered. Reminds me of my '81, except mine was silver/black landau/red vinyl buckets. Good luck with your inquiry.

My mom's '83 GP LJ was maroon with a maroon landau and a dark red velour cloth interior/buckets. I remember vividly many trips taken in that car... it truly was the car of my childhood (while many of my friends parents had the all-new minivan, my dad refused to buy anything than a two-door coupe). As for my dad, he was okay with "basic transportation" and the cheaper, the better. He'd buy old '70s Dusters and Ford Mavericks - whatever worked well and that he could pay in cash on the cheap. Anywhere we went as a family, we took the GP.

Did a little "Googling" today and found through my research that this is likely an '86 or '87 GP due to the fact that it has a third brake light and this was done starting in the '86 model year. I'm going to venture a guess that it is also equipped with a V8, as it has <aftermarket, I'm assuming> dual exhaust outlets with chrome tips - I don't think a V6 owner would go that length <shrug>. I like this car a lot, but other than for sentimental reasons, it's not a "must have" for me. If it works out, then great; if not, then I'll move on. It sure looks like a really clean 20-something year old car though.

Now if money were not an object right now, I found an original condition, red with black interior, 57k mile '97 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am T-top Coupe for sale - the ultimate TA for me. Back in late 1996, I stalked my then local B-P-G dealer (back where I grew up) because they had two awesome '97 WS6 Ram Air Coupes for sale - one black and one red <I wanted the red one> - fully loaded cars too. The wife and I just started our relationship and she thought I was wierd for stopping by to see them on an almost daily basis (I passed the dealership on the way to her house). The black one sold first, in late winter, and the red one went during the late summer. I really played the NJ Lottery weekly to try to get the cash to buy one (I was in my senior year of college in '97, so there was no way I could afford one then). Anyway, the one I found is listing for $12,995 and I've been trying to convince the wife all weekend that the T/A is a liveable daily driver for me and that it would be cool to drive around - all 4 of us - with the t-tops off. So far she's not buying :lol:

I'll be waiting patiently tomorrow to see if the dealership responds to my e-mail about the GP.

>>"I'm still on my quest for a 1968 Pontiac Grand Prix!"<<

Ooo, now you're in my neighborhood. Need a 428 car or is 350 HP enough for you? I like the '68s, but they sure are good at hiding- I never see them.

As a possible aside, I know of a real nice '70 wagon that may be available to tide you over.....

GMTG- I think I have most all of the '80s Pontiac brochures handy, let me know if you get it & need info...

Well balt, here is my issue, I don't care what engine it has in it, however Mrs. PCS demands, auto trans so she can tool around town. I have tried over and over again teach her to shift gears, but she doesn't get it, she even has trouble using my paddle shifter on my Grand Prix GXP. If you find or see a 68 Grand Prix, let me know, I am seriously looking for one. Do you have a pic of the 70 wagon, and what condition it is in, and possibly a price? Let me know.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Well balt, here is my issue, I don't care what engine it has in it, however Mrs. PCS demands, auto trans so she can tool around town. I have tried over and over again teach her to shift gears, but she doesn't get it, she even has trouble using my paddle shifter on my Grand Prix GXP. If you find or see a 68 Grand Prix, let me know, I am seriously looking for one. Do you have a pic of the 70 wagon, and what condition it is in, and possibly a price? Let me know.

That is exactly what my wife told me...gotta be an auto trans... just in case.....

That is a good looking GP....I have a soft spot for quite a few old Pontiacs... :yes:

If you find or see a 68 Grand Prix, let me know, I am seriously looking for one.

'68 GP production: 31,711. Of that, GPs with manual trans: 306. Manual take rate was way down vs. earlier years- it's not going to be a concern.

I struggle to recall ever seeing a '68- maybe 1 at a Pontiac show- they're nowhere and this evaluation is going way back.

Here's a sweetie, tho, and in that classic late '60s Verdoro Greeeen:

http://ww2.collectorcartrader.com/details.php?adId=90282813

90282813_2.jpg

Might Wanna Ask Cort, those are essentially Monte Carlos...

*chuckles*

He did ask ... and, sadly, I don't know that I was of much help.

As I mentioned to ya, GMTruckGuy, sometimes people will post Pontiac stuff on ChevyTalk.org, but that isn't all that consistant. Another place, that I just thought of, is montecarloss.com. Yes, it's main car is the 4th gen MCSSs, but I believe some of the guys there also have Pontiac GPs of the same vintage. And, as vonV noted, they are essentially MCs. I would suspect that SOME (not all) of the tech info on MCSS would be applicable, too.

Hmm...have you looked at Pontiac.com? I know chevy.com has a link to clubs relative to the various models ... I don't know if Pontiac has a similar links page or not. You might try it, just in case....

Sorry I wasn't more helpful this time around :(.

BTW, from the pics, looks like it is in great shape ... but, sometimes, looks can be deceiving....

GOOD LUCK with this ... and be sure to let us know what the dealership responds to you.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I wanna drive" ... Trace Adkins ... '(Her Favorite Color Is) Chrome'

'68 GP production: 31,711. Of that, GPs with manual trans: 306. Manual take rate was way down vs. earlier years- it's not going to be a concern.

I struggle to recall ever seeing a '68- maybe 1 at a Pontiac show- they're nowhere and this evaluation is going way back.

90282813_2.jpg

That is a good looking car.....

I just hope most of these cars have good homes....if I see one with 20s, I'm going to cry....

Saw one of those big GPs at a car show last year - I'll keep my eyes open, PCS.

I've been eyeballing a silver MCSS ('87/'88) for a few days now. It's in pretty good original condition with a very nice interior. No price on it, but it is for sale.

GMTG: nothing ventured...

What else was in there?

NEW: (1) Caddy CTS, (2) G6 sedans, (1) G6 GT Coupe

OLD: '80s Pontiac 6000LE, '87 Pontiac Grand Prix LE, '70s/'80s Chevy El Camino, and one other car I can't recall

Hey, at least I found out rather than still sitting here wondering. Atleast they have my name & contact info should it ever become available in teh future :AH-HA_wink:

Thanks for taking the time to look, but this car is not a "MUST HAVE" for me. If I find one that's a good deal, then I'll bite. I just happened upon the white '87 GP LE and wondered if I should ask or not, seeing how it is parked in a garage and not in an area where cars are "for sale". Again, thanks :thumbsup:

go get this one: http://providence.craigslist.org/car/650921734.html

they are out there. The one above is a light blue 80k mile original for $2400 or something close.

The one below is a two tone maroon over grey. Pretty! http://norfolk.craigslist.org/car/665981486.html

I love to help people spend money... :rolleyes:

90282813_2.jpg

That's a beauty, color is very similar to my 69 Pontiac Custom-S which is midnight green. :smilewide:

I've been eyeballing a silver MCSS ('87/'88) for a few days now. It's in pretty good original condition with a very nice interior. No price on it, but it is for sale.

*raises eyebrow curiously*

Details, bud, details!

And, GMTG ... sorry that white one wasn't for sale after all :(.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Nowadays you can't be too sentimental" ... Billy Joel ... 'It's Still Rock And Roll To Me'

• 10 months later...

UPDATE...

So here I am at work this morning and we're on an early dismissal day (aka "half day") due to parent/teacher conferences. This is the block (period) that I usually eat lunch; howver, it's too early for me and they give us a 45 minute lunch after the kids leave and before the parents are to arrive anyway. So I decide to check my personal e-mail and this is what I find sitting in there from 7:30 AM this morning:

--- On Fri, 3/6/09, DAyres wrote:

Subject: RE: Used car request, '87 GP

To: gmguy74

Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 7:53 AM

I may be interested.

What would you offer?

So I quickly reply back with the following:

Dear Mr. Ayers,

Thank you for contacting me about the 1987 Pontiac Grand Prix. Would you kindly reply back to me at your earliest convenience with more information about the car, including what model it is, what its current mileage is, the options/features it has, the interior color & seating arrangement (front: bench or bucket seats), and any repairs that it may need to be a registered & inspected drivable car? (the only things I know about it is that it is a 1987 Pontiac Grand Prix with a white exterior) I look forward to receiving your rely. Thanks again!!

Sincerely,

Roger

So I now patiently wait for his response!!

UPDATE #2...

So apparently, he responds very quickly. Here is his response:

’87 GP LE, 305 V8

Monte SS GM dual exhaust.

Bucket seats/ grey cloth. Factory Sunroof. Pwr everything w/ delco CD player

90500 miles, No problems, no drivability issues, no check engine lite. Good tires,,,,

I have had this since new, still have MCO - it has never been titled. I use this as a summer pleasure vehicle.

So in your opinion C&G, what would this car be worth? He also sent me another e-mail asking if I could stop by Saturday (tomorrow) to see it in person. I'd like to get C&Gs advice and opinions on what price this car is worth before I go any further. It is kept in the dealership's garage and has been under a car cover since I first saw it last May.

BTW, If I bought it, this would become my daily driver once my AURA's SmartLease contract ends. It'd still be well-maintained, cared for, and garaged too. I guess I'd also look for a winter beater, as to not let road salt from NJ's winter storms damage this car.

Please post away... Thanks!!

Well, if time allows today I'm going to try to stop by and see the car. I'll take my camera and get pictures if I do see the car. I'm afraid the owner will want $10k because it's a well preserved car :rolleyes: I think I'll tell him that I just want to see the car today and will get back to him early next week with a price - that way I can try to research it some more. $3,000 cash would be a great deal and one I probably could pull off. We'll see...

Well, if time allows today I'm going to try to stop by and see the car. I'll take my camera and get pictures if I do see the car. I'm afraid the owner will want $10k because it's a well preserved car :rolleyes: I think I'll tell him that I just want to see the car today and will get back to him early next week with a price - that way I can try to research it some more. $3,000 cash would be a great deal and one I probably could pull off. We'll see...

Sounds good. I showed the pics to my '86 Regal LTD driving (he LOVES these cars) brother, and told him a bit of the rundown, and he said a couple grand. But, this is also the person who thinks a lot of cars should be $2 or $3, honestly. Though he also didn't think making something like this your new daily driver was a good idea, either, and that's exactly what his Regal is for--it has a bit less miles but is in great need of a complete engine overhaul, for the oh so great ancient 307. He did also say that "the Pontiacs had really nice interiors", but didn't explain further. I can't imagine too much is different.

But really, why not, if you have a garage and such. A car is a car, and not useful unless driven.

$3k cash would be good, I think. Interesting car find and then turn of events, ey?

Edited by caddycruiser

Thanks for the reply caddycruiser... I agree with you about making the '87 Grand Prix a daily driver year round. It would more than likely be garaged for the remainder of this winter and once the April showers wash off all of the road salt, then it would start seeing some driving duty. But I'm going too far ahead here, if something works out with the dealer I need to see if my auto insurance will cover this car. I don't want to buy it and then not be able to get coverage!! I also am thinking that I need to rid myself of the AURA if I do this and find a decent beater to use when the GP is "parked". If you look in the pictures I took last year, there's an '80s Pontiac 6000 parked next to it. I wonder if I can get a package deal and make the 6000 the daily driver?

Here are the two pictures from last April for reference:

DSCN6173.jpg

DSCN6174.jpg

It's definitely a nice car, and if you could get it for a nice cash price and maybe even a beater (hey, seriously, ask about the 6000...3 Pontiacs would be great!), why not. Certainly not a car you'll run upon, especially with the specs, everyday.

Well, I went to check out the car for a whole 15-20 minutes today :lol:(I did get to start it up!). It is a very nice ar for being 22 years old and I have to agree with caddycruiser in that if I were to buy this car, it would not be best as a daily driver. However, I see the potential in making this car - a car similar to what I grew up with at home & learned how to drive with - a fun summer pleasure vehicle and something I can take to local car shows and cruise nights.

That being said, I talked with the owner and had the opportunity to sit in it, start it up, see the engine bay & trunk areas, and did a quick walk-around (thank God that Thule bike rack is not mounted to the car permanently!). It is in excellent shape, showing some wear but no where near what an unloved GP of this vintage has. The car has an updated (mid-'90s maybe?) Delco CD AM/FM Radio installed, a Monte Carlo SS GM dual/dual exhaust setup (just one pipe leading out to the duals in the rear), the owner changed the door panels out with those from a GP Brougham model (more upscale and comfortable, he said), comes with two new-old stock exterior mirrors due to a vibration behind the glass when you close the driver's door, and has the original window sticker and I think he said manuals and other paperwork too.

In one of my e-mails to him yesterday I asked if he could tell me a price range he was expecting to get for the car, and being a professional salesperson he ignored that question completely (which I expected anyway). I asked again today what he was expecting to get and was given this answer - "I don't need to sell this car, so I'm not giving it away. I expect to get no less than $4,000-$4,500 for it". We ended the conversation soon after, as the dealership was closing (he was the only one there in this very small dealership) and I had a combo birthday/retirement party to go to. Because of the time and weather concerns (gray skies), he said I was welcome to come back next week on a nice day for a test drive, and that he would put it on the lift so I could see how clean the underside is. I asked if he wouldn't mind me bringing someone with me that is more knowledgable with mechanics, etc. and he said that it was no problem. He asked if I was still interested, to which I replied yes, and he said he liked how I eneded one of my e-mails by saying that the car will continue to be well-cared for and garage kept if I do buy it. I take that as a good sign and hope things work out.

At this point I need to find someone that's willing to go with me next week for a test-drive and brief inspection of the car (remember, I'm no mechanic!!). I also have to figure out a way to make this purchase if I do decide to go for it. If he said he'd take $3,000-$3,500, I'd be more confident about syaing yes to buying it. I know an extra grand might not be looked at by many here as out of the question, but it depends on my finances, what I can afford with insurance costs, and this means I will need to find a part-time 2nd job to pay for the car & insurance costs (I know the wife will not like a 3rd car again unless I take the measures to not incur new, additional costs out of our current paychecks). I want to drive it and have a more qualified person examine it for me, plus look into a loan, but I am interested in getting this car.

I took 3 or 4 pictures today that I have to download out of my camera (with about 280 other pictures going back to late November). I'll post them as soon as I can.

I decided to stay up and download all 285 pictures off my camera. Here are the somewhat crappy photos I took when I saw the Grand Prix in person today:

DSCN8843.jpg

DSCN8844.jpg

DSCN8845.jpg

DSCN8846.jpg

(Sorry about this pics darkness - I tried getting a shot of the dual/dual exhaust, but it was getting really cloudy at this time and the interior lighting wasn't all that great)

And the Pontiac 6000 sedan that was in last April's pictures was gone, along with a few other vehicles that I noticed on past visits. The late '70s/early '80s El Camino Conquistador was still there, bed loaded up with stuff. I did ask him if it was for sale, which he quickly replied no to. I told him I was asking because I knew that Carlisle Fairgrounds was looking to buy one for an upcoming show. He seemed intrigued by that comment, but didn't say anything more about the El Camino.

On a side note, he apparently is a G-body Grand Prix fan... he told me he also owned 1981 and 1985 GPs, both red in color, one with a red vinyl top. He said the wife took the '81 in their divorce settlement and he sold the '85 several years ago since he had the '87. I asked why he went with white after two red cars, and he said that the red was discountinued in '85 (or did he say '86?), so he changed it up a bit. I think the color combo is great - white exterior with a gray half-vinyl top and a gray cloth interior.

This car will not go down in value at this point. It's in beautiful physical condition. If it is as good mechanically, I'd say the price is on the money. If you can do it, do it! I'd love to have it myself.

Wow, looks great. I think my brother would be jealous...the interior does look better, as he said. Still clearly the same core, but the console and such in that one helps it hugely.

A lower price is always a good thing, but think about it and do what seems right for you. No rush, as obviously it isn't publically for sale and he doesn't seem into rushing you to take it off his hands, so find a mechanic, keep the line of chatting either by email or phone ongoing, and see where it does. Sometimes just continued interest and inquiries, over time, will let the price relax, etc. a bit.

But yes, definitely a nice car. Not something I'd put 12k miles on a year and drive daily, which is a consideration, but a very nice car.

DF - don't think that that thought hasn't crossed my mind too yesterday (looking for another classic car for the amount I can possibly spend on this Grand Prix). The only problem to that is if I go classic for the amount of money I have available means I'm not getting a "daily driver" car and one that can require a restoration, which I have no skills, time, or money to complete. I like this '87 GP because it's a car from my childhood, is already considered a classic in the state of NJ (20 years old is the requirement), and while needing some TLC-type of attention, is in great shape and can be used immediately for show at local car shows and cruise nights. So it would suit me well for what I want, although it's not like it's a classic 1962 Pontiac Grand Prix (my favorite of all years). But that dream is just about impossible to make come true :lol:

ocn - This car will not go down in value at this point. That's what I've been thinking - this car can be sold down the road for at least the amount I'm paying for it, if not more since I'd be taking care of it. I'm sure if I like these cars, someone else out there does too. It's in beautiful physical condition. If it is as good mechanically, I'd say the price is on the money. I look at it as the modern-day barn find - a time capsule car that has been used but not abused. The opportunity I've been waiting for to find a decent conditioned '80s GP has finally come. Now it's up to the financial part, but after someone much more qulaified than me examines it first so I don't buyy a money pit :lol:

caddycruiser - well, he doesn't have it parked outside for sale, and from what he said about not having a need to sell it, I can agree with you. However, he did state that he knows if he lists the car for sale or does park it outside he knows it will sell quickly. So I don't know how to read him quite yet. I did state that I'm interested, I want to take it for a test drive, and I want someone with knowledge to look it over with me (even if it's just general automotive mechanic knowledge and not G-body specific knowledge), all to which he agreed and did not seem pushy. I like the fact that he acknowledged my comment about keeping the car "well-cared for and garage kept" and said that he wants this car to go to a good home - which tells me that he may negotiate on the price. I will definitely stay in contact with him and keep that line of communication going. And while originally I wanted to buy this car and use it as my DD, seeing it in person and acknowledging that it's a 22 year old car made me realize this car would best be suited for summer duty and pleasure driving. That plus the really nice unsold 2008 G8 sedan parked outside reinforced the fact I still want a new car to drive too (selfish, I know!).

No updates to report. The owner wants me to come back for a test-drive on a nice day, and so far the weather in southern NJ hasn't been nice to take the car out (threats of rain, gray skies, and spotty rain showers). Plus I want to take someone with automotive mechanical knowledge with me that knows what to check out, and once I have that information I can then work out the financials. I'll send the owner an e-mail tonight after I watch the weather report letting him know I'm still interested and working things out.