Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Exposed: Renault Megane Mk. III

Looks good; I'll be curious as to whether it sets new safety precedents as the mk 2 did.

I'm expecting nothing short of a 5-star EuroNCAP Adult rating, but I wonder how it will do on the Child and Pedestrian ratings. For exmple, the Fiat 500 got 5-stars Adult, 3-stars Child (scale ranges between 1 and 5 stars), and 2-stars Pedestrian (scale ranges between 1 and 4 stars).

Guest aatbloke
I'm expecting nothing short of a 5-star EuroNCAP Adult rating, but I wonder how it will do on the Child and Pedestrian ratings. For exmple, the Fiat 500 got 5-stars Adult, 3-stars Child (scale ranges between 1 and 5 stars), and 2-stars Pedestrian (scale ranges between 1 and 4 stars).

I completely agree with you, and I wonder if whether pedestrian ratings will be where Renault are looking to set new standards in this segment. The last Megane had phenomenal front and side impact protection though when it debuted and set new class-leading standards.

Guest aatbloke
It looks really good from profile, witth nice sculpting, but the front needs work. There's a massive, gaping hole up front that ruins the entire design.

I'm not the biggest fan of Renault's latest corporate face either, following the latest Laguna and redesigned Clio. Overall though the new Megane should set new standards in the segment, and the overall profile is very attractive and not quite off-the-wall as the old car.

You know why the French won the French Revolution?

Cause their opponent was FRENCH. :P

(yes I do consider that insightful input in this thread) :alcoholic:

The front definitely needs a change.

The current Megane looks fantastic, bobble butt aside.

Then again, why should I care? They aren't going to be selling it here!

Guest aatbloke
The front definitely needs a change.

The current Megane looks fantastic, bobble butt aside.

Then again, why should I care? They aren't going to be selling it here!

Because its platform at the very least will underpin the next Nissan Sentra.

Because its platform at the very least will underpin the next Nissan Sentra.

But Sir, I do not like Nissan! And, the Nissan model will have its own brand specific styling inside and out anyway.

How this angry little French car looks has no bearing on how the Sentra will look. Although this is a bad comparison, it'd be almost like, Volkswagen Golf V and Audi TT MkII.

Guest aatbloke
But Sir, I do not like Nissan! And, the Nissan model will have its own brand specific styling inside and out anyway.

How this angry little French car looks has no bearing on how the Sentra will look. Although this is a bad comparison, it'd be almost like, Volkswagen Golf V and Audi TT MkII.

Exactly. What's most important about driving a car? The way it, well, drives. The platform dynamics largely determine that, which as I'm sure you're aware was a major criticism of the first-generation TT - it felt like a tarted up Golf. But a fairer comparison would be the Golf and Leon.

What's important about the new Megane is what lies underneath the skin - because any part of it, and least the chassis, will likely be in the next Sentra, a car which will undoubtedly be sold in the States even if the Megane isn't.

Edited by aatbloke

Exactly. What's most important about driving a car? The way it, well, drives. The platform dynamics largely determine that, which as I'm sure you're aware was a major criticism of the first-generation TT - it felt like a tarted up Golf.

What's important about the new Megane is what lies underneath the skin - because any part of it, and least the chassis, will likely be in the next Sentra, a car which will undoubtedly be sold in the States even if the Megane isn't.

Since Renault isn't sold in the states anymore, I highly doubt U.S. drivers are going to be concerned about one being a "tarted up" another.

Plus, if U.S. drivers gave a damn about "how a vehicle drives" then they wouldn't be piling into sport utilities, crossovers, and pickups, OR TOYOTA CAMRYs for that matter.

At anyrate, Renault and Nissan both strike me as mainstream brands, so although the argument with the TT and the Golf is undeniable, Audi and Volkswagen are technically placed at different ends of the perceived image spectrum. Criticism levelled at TT's for driving like the sexed up, tarted up econoboxes they are is fine.

I was so hoping it would not come to this but I guess that I have to explain to you that my origianl post stated only that I shouldn't give a flying "F" about the way it LOOKS because it won't be sold here as it appears/will appear.

Our current Sentra's styling has been derided by at least one U.S. auto rag and for good reason, it looks dumpy. It drives soft. Even in SE-R Spec V trim. And it does share some architectural components with Renault and they are made on the same assemble line together.

Now, when Renault dictates to Nissan how their cars will look and drive, then I will pay a little more attention. But only a little. I don't like Nissan.

I said NOTHING about the architecture and how it will drive!

Guest aatbloke

Myershift, there's no need to get out of your pram.

The fact remains that while Renault doesn't sell in the States, the relevance of the new Megane is that the next Sentra will almost certainly use its underpinnings to at least some degree, and possibly even bodyshells if the partnership between the two companies in other markets is anything to go by - whether U.S. drivers, or you, care or not!

Edited by aatbloke

Guest aatbloke
MyShift, we're commenting on it because we're, well, car enthusiasts...it's what we do (and soem of us live across the pond). That's reason enough for me! :D

Sounds good to me too. If it has four wheels, an engine, and a place to park my arse, then I'm in!

interesting looking... that concept would be absolutely beautiful if it had a decklid :P

while reading this thread i googled recent renault cars... i have to say the laguna coupe concept is beautiful

Exactly. What's most important about driving a car? The way it, well, drives. The platform dynamics largely determine that, which as I'm sure you're aware was a major criticism of the first-generation TT - it felt like a tarted up Golf. But a fairer comparison would be the Golf and Leon.

Sadly most Nissans on Renault platforms drive nothing like Renaults. The Tiida/Versa is known for having soft, wallowy "Japanese Buick" suspension, while the Clio on the same B-platform is well regarded for its handling and sportiness. The two cars do share the same great crash test scores, which is nice.

Edited by empowah

Guest aatbloke
Sadly most Nissans on Renault platforms drive nothing like Renaults. The Tiida/Versa is known for having soft, wallowy "Japanese Buick" suspension, while the Clio on the same B-platform is well regarded for its handling and sportiness. The two cars do share the same great crash test scores, which is nice.

The Tiida doesn't use the same platform as the Clio; it uses an extended and modified variant of the Clio's chassis. Suspension settings do vary by market and I agree, that does affect the way a car drives. A colleague of mine just last week drove a Tiida in the ROI and commented that it belied its Renault origins. All Clios handle well enough, but they're not class-leading and I wouldn't call the bread-and-butter models sporty - an issue that's often been commented in the press. They actually feel quite sedate for a small car, and every generation has felt the same despite becoming heavier. The Micra uses the same platform and feels very similar to drive; like the Clio (disregarding Renaultsport models), it's a supermini better known for its practicality than it is for throwing it around bends like a hooligan like you could with small Peugeots or Ford Fiestas over the years.

I'm sure you more than aware of the criticisms levelled at the original TT for feeling just like a Golf. VAG did a massive improvement to quell this criticism with the mk2, however.

Edited by aatbloke

It always disappoints me that automakers feel that the American market isn't worth having the sportier cars...that somehow we love floaty, disconnected driving experiences. Some do, but I personally would rather see more sporty handling vehicles here. Todays suspension systems allow for both good handling and ride quality.

Sounds good to me too. If it has four wheels, an engine, and a place to park my arse, then I'm in!

Alrighty. Sounds good to me too!

I think small cars suck and love big luxury yachts... while I prefer to

drive a couch on wheels there's certainly a market for small well

handling cars... I enjoy one from time to time.

• 1 month later...

Can't do much else but agree with that. From Chevy Aveo to Bugatti Veyron, I pretty much pay attention to everything. Hell, cars like the Daihatsu Charade interest me...

I think small cars suck and love big luxury yachts... while I prefer to

drive a couch on wheels there's certainly a market for small well

handling cars... I enjoy one from time to time.

Totally irrelevant to the topic, but I just have to say that I love the Studebaker tow truck in your sig. Someone working at a factory not far from my apartment complex has an absolutely beautiful Studebaker pickup, bright red, probably late-1950s or so. From what I can tell, it's driven daily - no idea whether it's using the original engine or not.

Forget Oldsmobile - bring back Studebaker! :D

• 2 weeks later...
interesting looking... that concept would be absolutely beautiful if it had a decklid :P

Another area where U.S. tastes get on my nerves: Can't appreciate a hatch car....but love some damn SUVs (well, at least they did before today's gas crunch)