Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Automobile Exhaust Sounds

HarleyEarl

While out today, standing at a street corner waiting for the walk light, I heard this throaty whail from a car behind me, and not having seen it, immediately I thought that sounds like an Infinity G35 Coupe....sure enough turned to see and it was. It has a great throaty warble to its exhaust. Some others I like are the new Corvette and the Mustang as well as the Audi 4(8cyl). Of course I just love the sound of an eight.

I think the VQ Nissans have the most Godawful exhaust notes this side of rice. It sounds so mechanical, so synthetic, and almost whiny. Very irritating. There's a clear distinction between an FX35 and 45. Honestly, I like the Northstar exhaust. Pleasant, subdued, and composed at idle and under moderate acceleration, but give 'er the guns and she sound beautiful.

I think the VQ Nissans have the most Godawful exhaust notes this side of rice. It sounds so mechanical, so synthetic, and almost whiny. Very irritating. There's a clear distinction between an FX35 and 45.

Honestly, I like the Northstar exhaust. Pleasant, subdued, and composed at idle and under moderate acceleration, but give 'er the guns and she sound beautiful.

[post="33522"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree about the VQ exhaust sound, although I did hear an G35 that sounded really good. But that still doesnt make up for the dozens of the ricey ones I've heard. I think the GTO, Corvette, and Mustang have the best exhaust sound.

Well, would you be surprised if I told you I think my Quad4 powered GA has the best exhaust not of any 4-banger? Especially at higher RPMs? Well, would you? :D :P As for best sounding 6... I love the sound of SC 3800s. Especially the Series III in the Grand Prix. And the best sounding 8... The LS2 powered GTO. The exhaust is turned absolutely perfectly. Hmm... or maybe my judgement is just turned to think these Pontiacs sound the greatest... :unsure: :lol:

This is exactly what my car will sound like after I'm done with it...I so want this exhaust...it's an Eisenmann race exhaust with a super sprint straight pipe (resonator delete)...sounds awesome...unfortunately it ain't cheap....

http://www.dinan540.com/VIDS/540i6_Eisenmann.mov

Stock, 540's don't have much engine sound to them...BMW did a job of making the sound of the V8 very unnoticeable...the rumble deffinitely came out more with my dinan CAI...it's a little more noticeable, not by much though...from what my friends say, on the outside it sounds awesome, so that's always a plus...if you want that engine sound though BMW I6's sure do sound sick... Edited by Nick

One exhaust I did not like (and I really wanted to) was the last-gen V8 F-bodies. Waaay too much flatulence and popping when letting off the throttle. Come to think of it, my truck "farts" when letting off between first and second gear. I don't like that.

One exhaust I did not like (and I really wanted to) was the last-gen V8 F-bodies. Waaay too much flatulence and popping when letting off the throttle. Come to think of it, my truck "farts" when letting off between first and second gear. I don't like that.

Wow... my GA does that alot. Anytime I'm off the gas, it is doing that. :P

I think the VQ Nissans have the most Godawful exhaust notes this side of rice. It sounds so mechanical, so synthetic, and almost whiny. Very irritating. There's a clear distinction between an FX35 and 45.

Honestly, I like the Northstar exhaust. Pleasant, subdued, and composed at idle and under moderate acceleration, but give 'er the guns and she sound beautiful.

Agreed on both points, especially the one about the VQ. It's way to video-gamish, not to mention fake, for my tastes. The more muted note from an earlier Maxima was so much sweeter.

For exhaust sounds, you can't go wrong with any LSx engine. In stock config, the engine so effortlessly produces a sound that's music to my ears. It's a sharp contrast to the 4.6 and 5.0 Mustangs, which all sound "forced" to me. The new HEMI isn't too bad either.

I also have a special place in my heart for the classic "blum-blum-blum-blum" sound of a vintage small block Chevy.

Like: Nissan 350Z, Titan/Armada Infiniti G35/FX35 Pontiac GTO Ford Mustang GM 3800s Dodge Ram (Hemi), Viper Don't like Porsche Boxster (at low RPMs, it has a tinny, metallic sound to it) BMW six-cylinder engines (they sometimes sound strained at low RPMs/speed)

Most factory exhausts are kinda like listening to top 40. My 90 3300 sounded pretty fair at 6000 tonight. I do wish it would just shift firm at 55-5700 and be done with it. the extra 3 are just wasted on a slow shift. If ya wanna hear engines go to the next Vintage Fest when it comes near your area. Much variety, in high tune, with little muffler. Better yet for me was the Ferrari/Maserati fest. Early raw V12's, B12's, many different cam tunes. The radical flat 12's from late 60's and 70's used in the prototypes are simply amazing. You can walk though the paddock when their comming in from practice and the sounds as the engines struggle with idle and the drivers slowly fight their way in amounst the crowd is simply an awsome experiance. On the track they just sing. I liked the sound of the Modena V8's too. I love the sound of the LS engines they are using in all of GM's racing projects. From the sound of the #3 & #4 Champion C6-R's to the Daytona Proto types as well as the CTS-VR and the GTO R. Hows abouts a 671 Detroit ? 125 Montesa ? 'Ol Clyde Dagenham when hes pullin hard earnin our keep ? Blu mentioned the back gas or what ever you want to call it. I call it bark. My Alpine did that and I loved it. I was "pre rice". It had factory 4-2-1 headers, into a straight thru short muffler, on to the back with a single 13/4 chrome angle cut tip. 12.5:1 compression with a radical cam and that engine went from full revs to nill by the time you hit next gear which was a 6-8" throw. It barked like an angry Malamute be atch. I loved it. Great thread Harley, I was just thinking about this today. The sounds of my engines. I could do a trivia if I had audio capability.

One exhaust I did not like (and I really wanted to) was the last-gen V8 F-bodies.  Waaay too much flatulence and popping when letting off the throttle.  Come to think of it, my truck "farts" when letting off between first and second gear.  I don't like that.

I'm the opposite on that.. especially with Headers, cam, and exhaust...
Music to my ears

I may be the odd duckling... but I like the 90's 60 degree V6s and the 3800s. I guess I'm under the influence of my sis' Corsica and ma's Lumina...

Agreed, Toni.  It was a very distinctive growl they gave the 60 degree engines in those days.  Too bad all that character has been stifled.

I do aggree with that.. however I may be biased since my 3100 V6 Achieva has a pair of Flowmasters on it (I may not be a V8, nor sound like one but I love it) B)
Sound Clip I recorded... Click download at the botom of the page and agree on the next

A few months ago I heard a 300ZX and loved the sound of it.. RPMs didn't get too high so there's a possibility that I could change my mind.

Pretty much I love the sound of any GM, Mopar, or Ford V8
A few 4 bangers such as WRX STI's and SRT-4's.. haven't heard a Cobalt SS yet

Oh god, that's exacly what I think of the infinity burble...... it sounds like a computer generated sound.... so artificial... :angry: Nothing like a true american/european v-8.... they're the only ones who seem to be able to make a decent sounding engine..

Oh god, that's exacly what I think of the infinity burble...... it sounds like a computer generated sound.... so artificial... :angry:  Nothing like a true american/european v-8....

[post="33632"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That may be because they aren't V8s... Have you heard the Nissan/Infiniti V8s (particularly the trucks)? Very American V8 rumbly.

The best sounding car I have ever heard was my dads 67 Chevelle with a 327. That sound is addicting. Theres no better sound than a Chevy small block revving to 7000rpm. Just hearing that car run, you could feel the power it had, and it gets your adrenaline flowing. I just wish my dad would have let me buy it from him.

Some great exhaust notes: Any SBC wiht a free flowing exhaust and high compression. Any big block chevy with a decent set of duals Northstar Caddys 3800s, esp in Camaros Impalas and Rivieras 5.0 Mustangs wiht headers... even shorty headers. I can honestly say with 100% honesty that my very own '68 Camaro has one of the best exhaust notes of a non-restored budget muscle car I've ever run across. I love true duals on a crate motor like the ZZZ350. The 7000 rpm redline with awsome horsepower peek makes it quite a enigma to the ear.

Some crappy exhaust notes: anything wiht a coffee can exhaust DOHC Japanese motors wiht cherry bombs. :puke: Honda S2000

I also have a special place in my heart for the classic "blum-blum-blum-blum" sound of a vintage small block Chevy.

I have a sound for you :D

I'm biased, but I love the sound of my '73 Camaro... small block Chevy 400 bored .30 over, (406) cammed, 10:1 compression with Hedman shorties running via 2.5" inch X-pipe to 3" Flowmaster single chamber Delta Flow mufflers.

It has just enough back pressure to sound mean, but is free flowing enough to run good. It's loud too, shakes the neighbors windows. :D And it massages your back while sitting in it.

Second would be my '68; pretty mild small block 350 run through hedman headers via 2.5" X-pipe to 40 series dual chamber Flowmasters. It purs more than it roars, and it's a 4 speed so I can do those nice 'clutched' slow downs :)

I love "popping" exhaust systems... Nothing like letting the clutch out and hearing the fury of a hot V8 announce itself to your stoplight mates.

News cars I like, right off hand...

The GTO sounds awesome as does the SSR. Previous generation F-bodies are orgasmic because they turn so fast.(Of course I'm talking about F-bodies with non stock exhaust--as most have) Any GM truck (Our '99 has a glass pack on it and surprisingly sounds great [We bought it that way]) It sounds especially good in the Tow/Haul mode when the engine is extended further up the RPM scale before shifting.

But probably the BEST sounding V8's I've heard (On a modern, stock car) would have to be the Mustang 4.6 and 5.0 motors.

Give me a 5.0 Ford, 2 flowmasters and a clutch and I'm as close to heaven as I can get without crossing over!

WORST sounding, BY FAR: Dodge Viper.

I used to dislike the FX35/G35 exhaust noise, but now I've grown to like it. Our 528i sounds pretty good, particularly right after the GM slushbox shifts from second to third at ~4500 rpm... it's a very crisp change in tone following a good pause, almost like a flappy-paddle M3. As far as V-8's, GM's LSx engines are a bit too monotonous in the midrange and up, IMO... they sound the same from 3000-6000 rpm, only differing in noise and speed. The Northstar motors are more interesting.

Like:

Nissan 350Z, Titan/Armada
Infiniti G35/FX35
Pontiac GTO
Ford Mustang
GM 3800s
Dodge Ram (Hemi), Viper

Don't like

Porsche Boxster (at low RPMs, it has a tinny, metallic sound to it)
BMW six-cylinder engines (they sometimes sound strained at low RPMs/speed)

[post="33617"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, from the outside at lower RPMs, our 5 makes this strange whirring, fan-like sound. The 01+'s with the newer 3 liter motors seem to have changed that.

How about the 3 cylinder Metro that is one beastly machine :P Or the 5 clinder Colorado I Hate the new mustangs exhaust its too high pitched for an 8. Off topic but my Briggs & Straton lawn mower is beastly when you take off the exhaust and soak the air filter with starter fluid. ^_^ Since my Caprice has no Cat. Converter it sounds thoaty.

My friend's '96 Grand Am GT sounds like crap (like every 3100) but the exhaust smells really really good.  And if you put the radion on any AM station, you can hear the engine through the speakers.

[post="34158"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

haha...yea...that engine sounds through the speakers thing I can relate to...my dad's car did that, as does mine sometimes (but i don't listen to AM radio so whatever)...It's funny to hear the radio revving...

Pre GOVERNMENT REGULATED HIGH COMPRESSION OHV AMERICAN V8 with a allmost RADICAL CAM and ported and polished heads with low drop HEADERS and DUEL EXOSTS with THREE INCH PIPES!!!--------NO NEW CAR CAN SOUND LIKE THAT BABY!!!

• 3 weeks later...