Is it just me ...

Is it just me or has things really slowed down over the past few months?

It seems we had an abundance of new posts being made back around November of last year. Now everything has slowed down to a trickle.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Is it just me or has things really slowed down over the past few months?

It seems we had an abundance of new posts being made back around November of last year. Now everything has slowed down to a trickle.

Things get busy around auto show time and new model year releases...not much going on now..

Things get busy around auto show time and new model year releases...not much going on now..

True.

But it seemed that, not too long ago, the participation in these forums was constantly on a level that we have seen when the 2008 Auto Show information was being posted. Then when auto show-related posts did get posted, things would just be constantly bustling.

Recent Pontiac threads have me riled pretty bad. I decided not to continue with my rants, for now. I said what I needed to say. Sometimes it's just not fun to continue to state the obvious, over and over.

Yeah, I've noticed that, too.

I am busier at my new job, so I don't have time to lounge around as much.

Personally, I've found less meat on this site than, say, 3 years ago, but that could be because I was new then and I found lots of links to news articles (remember the LA Times/GM scandal? That wasn't even covered up here in Canada) and things that helped me battle import humpers up here. The Great White North is securely in the lap of Japan Inc: almost none of the bad Toyota, Honda, etc. press get any coverage up here, so C&G was a big help in directing me to the juicy places to locate the truth.

For those of us semi-post whores (3,000 in 3 years ain't that bad is it? :unsure: ), some of the topics have been beaten to death and I find it difficult not to get impatient when newbies come on board, all full of piss & vinegar. (Makes me wonder how some of you longer term posters must have felt when I was new, 3 years ago :lol: )

The drama doesn't bother me. We've all seen the know-it-alls come and go. I just learn to ignore them, comfortable in the knowledge that they will get bored and move on.

EEK - I just realized it just passed FOUR years since I joined. My, my, my - where has the time flown?

Edited by CARBIZ

I think a lot of the drama lately turned some people off.

I know it has for me. There is one person who visits this forum with the sole intention of stirring up trouble and has repeatedly said he is leaving... any day now.... just... wait.... for.........it.

I know it has for me. There is one person who visits this forum with the sole intention of stirring up trouble and has repeatedly said he is leaving... any day now.... just... wait.... for.........it.

Let's not point fingers at any individual who has joined these forums.

If we start playing the blame game, this thread will get closed by the admins, and I would rather it stay open.

• 3 weeks later...

Oldtime 'car' builder checking in. There was more vitality here in '05-'06. I'm not being judgemental, but I believe that the socioeconomic forces at work are truly altering the passion we've had for cars. Not the same as in my youth. For example, I can't comprehend the excitement over a well executed sedan. Does nothing for me. I've seen those slippery Pontiac G8's whooshing purposefully past me on the Interstate. Beautiful cars. But seeing a late model, well maintained Z28, WS6 Firebird or Firehawk gets the blood pounding.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

I'm getting ready to change the graphics to the site to eliminate the words "greatest fans".

When fans on a fan site get shouted down for, you know, actually liking the product and defending the product from slanted and biased attacks.... well, then the site doesn't deserve to use those first two words. The consistent negativity towards some of the best products GM has produced, ever, has kept me away.

and the terrorists win.

Oldtime 'car' builder checking in. There was more vitality here in '05-'06. I'm not being judgemental, but I believe that the socioeconomic forces at work are truly altering the passion we've had for cars. Not the same as in my youth. For example, I can't comprehend the excitement over a well executed sedan. Does nothing for me. I've seen those slippery Pontiac G8's whooshing purposefully past me on the Interstate. Beautiful cars. But seeing a late model, well maintained Z28, WS6 Firebird or Firehawk gets the blood pounding.

I understand what you mean.

Seeing a classic or an attractive late model coupe really stirs my soul. Chevelles, Camaros ... the list stretches for miles and miles, it seems. :yes:

I understand what you mean.

Seeing a classic or an attractive late model coupe really stirs my soul. Chevelles, Camaros ... the list stretches for miles and miles, it seems. :yes:

Common ground for discussion. To me, a Corvette is that more rounded C4 version circa 1994 or so. My friend allowed me to borrow his FX3 'Vette in the late '90's off and on. A fine version of one of those rendered in Torch Red is still my ideal. Seeing those headlights rotating up and out at twilight sighting down that long hood is inspiring. Tilting that front clip forward to check the oil...priceless. Love those Chevelles mid-60's to the twin-light '70 model.

Common ground for discussion. To me, a Corvette is that more rounded C4 version circa 1994 or so.

You mean Callaway's series of twin-turbo Corvettes?

Callaway_Corvette.jpg

Yes, they are quite impressive. The one in the picture I have posted there was capable of a top speed of 254 mph, it was known as the "Sledgehammer." This was in the early 1990s. You could also order a Callaway-tuned turbo Corvette at your Chevrolet dealership if you selected the B2K option package, although it wasn't as fast.

My friend allowed me to borrow his FX3 'Vette in the late '90's off and on. A fine version of one of those rendered in Torch Red is still my ideal. Seeing those headlights rotating up and out at twilight sighting down that long hood is inspiring. Tilting that front clip forward to check the oil...priceless.

A clamshell hood has a priceless novelty effect when you open it, no doubt. It was always an element of the Corvette that further fueled my passionate enthusiasm for that car when I was a kid.

Love those Chevelles mid-60's to the twin-light '70 model.

Agreed.

The 1970 model was the definitive zenith for the Chevelle name, in my opinion, and quite possibly for all mainstream intermediate Chevrolets in general.

You mean Callaway's series of twin-turbo Corvettes?

Callaway_Corvette.jpg

Yes, they are quite impressive. The one in the picture I have posted there was capable of a top speed of 254 mph, it was known as the "Sledgehammer." This was in the early 1990s. You could also order a Callaway-tuned turbo Corvette at your Chevrolet dealership if you selected the B2K option package, although it wasn't as fast.

A clamshell hood has a priceless novelty effect when you open it, no doubt. It was always an element of the Corvette that further fueled my passionate enthusiasm for that car when I was a kid.

Agreed.

The 1970 model was the definitive zenith for the Chevelle name, in my opinion, and quite possibly for all mainstream intermediate Chevrolets in general.

The Callaway'd do nicely. I'm looking right now for a '93 to '97 6 speed Z28 to fix up. The market's all over the place. Plus, I may be naive, but less than 40% of those ads I've answered on Craigslist ever return an e-mail or phone call. Also negotiating with two dealers who have an admirable sense of what their Z's are worth on the open market.

The Callaway'd do nicely. I'm looking right now for a '93 to '97 6 speed Z28 to fix up. The market's all over the place. Plus, I may be naive, but less than 40% of those ads I've answered on Craigslist ever return an e-mail or phone call. Also negotiating with two dealers who have an admirable sense of what their Z's are worth on the open market.

You know, speaking of Camaros, I found a gem in my area last Tuesday. It was a 1992 25th Anniversary Camaro RS V8 for $3500 with an immaculate interior. Save for a few places were the headliner had started to become unglued, it was very close to perfect. It wasn't a Z28, but I would actually choose it over one. It will no doubt be a future collectors car whose value will only appreciate.

I have always wanted at least one F-Body in my driveway, though, since I was a kid. I have a horrible affinity for those cars. It seems I will have to wait until well into the next year, though, before I can seriously try to hunt one down. I would like one in a "fixer-upper" state for very few dollars. I found an 80s Firebird locally that is a perfect candidate for purchase, but I am trying to put whatever I can into saving up for a basic-model F5 Camaro when it debuts.

You know, speaking of Camaros, I found a gem in my area last Tuesday. It was a 1992 25th Anniversary Camaro RS V8 for $3500 with an immaculate interior. Save for a few places were the headliner had started to become unglued, it was very close to perfect. It wasn't a Z28, but I would actually choose it over one. It will no doubt be a future collectors car whose value will only appreciate.

I have always wanted at least one F-Body in my driveway, though, since I was a kid. I have a horrible affinity for those cars. It seems I will have to wait until well into the next year, though, before I can seriously try to hunt one down. I would like one in a "fixer-upper" state for very few dollars. I found an 80s Firebird locally that is a perfect candidate for purchase, but I am trying to put whatever I can into saving up for a basic-model F5 Camaro when it debuts.

I like the '93 to '97 Camaro. To me whether in motion or sitting still appears like the perfectly thrown dart. While my spouse was still living, I owned a '94 and 2000 Z28. Also had an '02 WS6 which I picked up on August 29, 2001. Fine car. Had that for less than a year. My spouse died during that year. I attempted to assuage my grief in picking up the last '02 Firehawk between Maine and Florida at a Pontiac dealership in July of 2002. Fabulous Black Beauty. I needed a diversion. Had the Firehawk for 16 months before trading her in on a GMC pickup.

So now I'm looking to go around again in my 'quest' for a Camaro which'll serve as a clean canvas until I go off on another tangent. The joys of this pursuit are fleeting, but I'll do it anyway...symptom of my restless age I suppose.

I hope you get your F5. I'll doubtless check them out myself. Saw the Concept in April '06 in the Doraville, GA assembly plant while on break from building Chevy Uplanders. GM should bring them to market just as presented in that concept imo. I understand that there are practical realities to consider, as I myself fluctuate in viewing my car as transportation, and an extension of me. Somewhat shallow I grant you.

True, but I believe there's a lot of confusion with what's happening to GM's future plans in many regards... CAFE has halted production of certain vehicles, and some have been ditched altogether. What's to get excited about? A lot less now.

I think a lot of the drama lately turned some people off.

YES!

+1

I like the '93 to '97 Camaro. To me whether in motion or sitting still appears like the perfectly thrown dart.

Agreed. That era of Camaro did have a quite pleasing shape, overall.

While my spouse was still living, I owned a '94 and 2000 Z28. Also had an '02 WS6 which I picked up on August 29, 2001. Fine car. Had that for less than a year. My spouse died during that year. I attempted to assuage my grief in picking up the last '02 Firehawk between Maine and Florida at a Pontiac dealership in July of 2002. Fabulous Black Beauty. I needed a diversion. Had the Firehawk for 16 months before trading her in on a GMC pickup.

My condolences about your spouse.

I would have kept that Firehawk if it had been me. If I had a chance to wrap my hands around one, I would never let it go.

So now I'm looking to go around again in my 'quest' for a Camaro which'll serve as a clean canvas until I go off on another tangent. The joys of this pursuit are fleeting, but I'll do it anyway...symptom of my restless age I suppose.

I suppose I understand your restlessness about cars in my own way. I know that if I had a week will, I would probably have another two cars in my driveway right now with probably a third on the way.

I hope you get your F5. I'll doubtless check them out myself. Saw the Concept in April '06 in the Doraville, GA assembly plant while on break from building Chevy Uplanders. GM should bring them to market just as presented in that concept imo. I understand that there are practical realities to consider, as I myself fluctuate in viewing my car as transportation, and an extension of me. Somewhat shallow I grant you.

I hope I get it too. I have my heart set on that car, quite frankly. There is no term on any loan that will keep me away from it, either.

And I do not find your view on cars shallow at all. I do not believe there is any car enthusiast out there that views their car simply as mere transportation. It is that view that separates the enthusiast from the buyer, quite frankly.

I know that I have always viewed my car as an extension of myself and a personal statement about myself. It is why I am self-conscious right now about it not being clean. :smilewide:

For the enthusiast, whatever car they drive, own, maintain, and occasionally modify will always be that extension, that statement of who they are. There will always be an emotional attachment to that model of car as well.

Such is the condition of the automotive enthusiast.

Agreed. That era of Camaro did have a quite pleasing shape, overall.

My condolences about your spouse.

I would have kept that Firehawk if it had been me. If I had a chance to wrap my hands around one, I would never let it go.

I suppose I understand your restlessness about cars in my own way. I know that if I had a week will, I would probably have another two cars in my driveway right now with probably a third on the way.

I hope I get it too. I have my heart set on that car, quite frankly. There is no term on any loan that will keep me away from it, either.

And I do not find your view on cars shallow at all. I do not believe there is any car enthusiast out there that views their car simply as mere transportation. It is that view that separates the enthusiast from the buyer, quite frankly.

I know that I have always viewed my car as an extension of myself and a personal statement about myself. It is why I am self-conscious right now about it not being clean. :smilewide:

For the enthusiast, whatever car they drive, own, maintain, and occasionally modify will always be that extension, that statement of who they are. There will always be an emotional attachment to that model of car as well.

Such is the condition of the automotive enthusiast.

And the human condition. Like Michael Corleone said " Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in. " Doubtless be looking as I said earlier. Thank you for your condolences. My wife was the control rod always keeping me a safe distance from a runaway reaction. Left to my own devices, haven't done too bad. Still learning to be less offensive, obnoxious etc...if ever I've offended anyone here, I'm sorry...

As for the 'Hawk, I have twinges of regret now and then. If I ever locate the few pictures of her which exist I'll post 'em. She is/was a pretty car...

Or try this, a variation on a theme from 1 Corinthians 13; When I was a child I thought, spoke and behaved as a child. I put aside childish things. But when I became a man, I went on eBay and replaced at a premium every damn thing I'd given up as a child...

And the human condition. Like Michael Corleone said " Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in. " Doubtless be looking as I said earlier.

Agreed. :yes:

Thank you for your condolences. My wife was the control rod always keeping me a safe distance from a runaway reaction. Left to my own devices, haven't done too bad. Still learning to be less offensive, obnoxious etc...if ever I've offended anyone here, I'm sorry...

No worries; you have in no way offended me. And believe me when I say, it doesn't really take too much to offend me. :P

As for the 'Hawk, I have twinges of regret now and then. If I ever locate the few pictures of her which exist I'll post 'em. She is/was a pretty car...

I would have to agree, since you did purchase it in black, which has, is, and always will be my first color choice on a new car. Black offers a degree of visual class that is rarely surpassed by any other color.

Or try this, a variation on a theme from 1 Corinthians 13; When I was a child I thought, spoke and behaved as a child. I put aside childish things. But when I became a man, I went on eBay and replaced at a premium every damn thing I'd given up as a child...

Which is why I have at least kept all of my Hot Wheels, my Legos ... :smilewide:

Hey 'Jacket; I bought those two Firebirds, the WS6 and the Firehawk from the same Pontiac dealer. Both were black. Both times on delivery they 'buffed' 'em out before turning them over to me. You'd think I'd have learned after the first time. I 'Zymol-ed' the daylights out them after that. The gloss when they were shining was pretty deep.

I just sent my obligatory 'is-she-still-for-sale (?)' e-mail to a guy selling a red '94 6 speed Camaro with 100k miles on the clock. I've asked this same question for the last 3 weeks to no avail. No phone # in the Craigslist ad listed for the sale. The Z looks clean and straight.

Have a good night. See you later

Hey 'Jacket; I bought those two Firebirds, the WS6 and the Firehawk from the same Pontiac dealer. Both were black. Both times on delivery they 'buffed' 'em out before turning them over to me. You'd think I'd have learned after the first time. I 'Zymol-ed' the daylights out them after that. The gloss when they were shining was pretty deep.

Black is very hard to maintain, yes. But you get an impeccable-looking car as a result from a taken-care-of coat of it.

There is only one example of where I would reconsider purchasing a black car, though. And that would be with any Chrysler product produced in the late 1990s. I have seen the black paint on most Chrysler products fade out due to sun damage, and fade quite badly. I have seen it happen on an acquaintance's black Dodge Avenger and my own father's Dodge Dakota.

I just sent my obligatory 'is-she-still-for-sale (?)' e-mail to a guy selling a red '94 6 speed Camaro with 100k miles on the clock. I've asked this same question for the last 3 weeks to no avail. No phone # in the Craigslist ad listed for the sale. The Z looks clean and straight.

Quite a shame, really. I hope the guy gets back with you or that he has not sold it already. I wish you luck in your search.

And if I see anything in my area, 'Tooth, I will be sure to let you know. Camaros are quite plentiful around here, if you don't mind a drive or shipping fees. :)

Have a good night. See you later

You too. Take care. :)

I have to agree with you there. I have also noticed a different feel to driving one of those classics. I love driving my Vette but driving either the 71 Camaro or the 72 Skylark just feels different. I don't know if it is just the idea of cruising in a classic car or if the ride is that much different. Either way, I love driving my classics and feel more like cruising and relaxing in them.

As for posting, I have always been on again/off again with posting, depending on how I feel, what work has been like, or whatever. I also try to stay out of the hard core disagreements (to much to deal with without turning my online time into an arguement). I have to agree that GM has much further to go, and if they are smart they will be constantly moving the target to ensure they are never again satisfied with 'good enough,' but sometimes it seems like some people are never going to appreciate how far they've come.

Even so, I appreciate that it is almost always civil here.

Okay, I'm sorry... so I beat the "why the F*** is the 5G Camaro

not a Hardrtop" horse to a pulp every few weeks....

At least I'm not dancing on the Zeta Chevy & Buick's grave all

happy about how many more crappy Euro-sourced, mid-size, 4

cylinder FWD $hitboxes GM will try to shove down our throat. <_<

It could be a number of things.

1) As I have mentioned, no one cares to post news anymore. If there is nothing to discuss, why would people come here to discuss it?

2) The CAFE :bs: has killed off a lot of the enthusiasm.

3) GM being in trouble again has killed off a lot of the enthusiasm (After all, it's been such a roller coaster)

4) PCS. He sucks. And therefore, he makes the site suck a lot.

5) GM is actually just losing fans (Thanks to their poor performance, CAFE, greenies and bad times right now)

I dunno... Maybe it's a bit of all of those.

Yeah, news stories are fewer and more far between. Ninety-Eight used to make sure news stories were posted, even if they had already been posted by other members before him. :AH-HA_wink:

And I miss Flybrian. I certainly hope he didn't feel compelled to leave, as he was well-liked by me and just about every member I can think of.

We seem to be missing a "captain of the ship" since Flybrianna's departure. Maybe his circumstances allowed him to be here constantly, shaping C&G's progress, until he landed that internet sales position at the used car dealership.

We're also missing a lot of our talented artists. The chop and sketch competitions have just about dried up. I mean, thanks to those who participate, but we need more talented ppl to come in here and enter. I miss Viper's sketches and Plum Crazy's and a few others. Ted, chop something prease.

The CAFE news and ever-increasing gasoline prices have taken a lot of the enthusiasm out of us, it seems, as well. Driving is no longer done for fun nearly as much as it used to. The forecast is for snooze-inducing cars for the entire foreseeable future, and that sucks giant donkey wieners.

I think we're in a period of "general mayonnaise" right now. We need something to cheer our sorry asses up.

Yeah, news stories are fewer and more far between. Ninety-Eight used to make sure news stories were posted, even if they had already been posted by other members before him. :AH-HA_wink:

And I miss Flybrian. I certainly hope he didn't feel compelled to leave, as he was well-liked by me and just about every member I can think of.

We seem to be missing a "captain of the ship" since Flybrianna's departure. Maybe his circumstances allowed him to be here constantly, shaping C&G's progress, until he landed that internet sales position at the used car dealership.

We're also missing a lot of our talented artists. The chop and sketch competitions have just about dried up. I mean, thanks to those who participate, but we need more talented ppl to come in here and enter. I miss Viper's sketches and Plum Crazy's and a few others. Ted, chop something prease.

Yup, it all started going down when 98 and Fly left, although I notice that Fly's been logging on, just not posting. Also haven't seen WMJ in quite some time.

I have to agree with you there. I have also noticed a different feel to driving one of those classics. I love driving my Vette but driving either the 71 Camaro or the 72 Skylark just feels different. I don't know if it is just the idea of cruising in a classic car or if the ride is that much different. Either way, I love driving my classics and feel more like cruising and relaxing in them.

As for posting, I have always been on again/off again with posting, depending on how I feel, what work has been like, or whatever. I also try to stay out of the hard core disagreements (to much to deal with without turning my online time into an arguement). I have to agree that GM has much further to go, and if they are smart they will be constantly moving the target to ensure they are never again satisfied with 'good enough,' but sometimes it seems like some people are never going to appreciate how far they've come.

Even so, I appreciate that it is almost always civil here.

Breeding the cost out of the car and the fuel economy consideration has sapped the vitality and excitement from the driving experience. The last vestiges of affordable performance died with the '02 F-Bodies. Yeah you can still have one hell of a ride in an '08 'Vette for 50 grand. I appreciate what the Domestics are doing with their 'pony/musclecar' offerings. GM's timing could've been better, but they enjoy tipping their hand in giving a glimpse of what to expect 3 years down the road. I say; 'surprise me' once in a while. But this being the age of instantaneous communication and instant gratification I guess you'd have to ignore a lot of chatter to be surprised.

The CAFE news and ever-increasing gasoline prices have taken a lot of the enthusiasm out of us, it seems, as well. Driving is no longer done for fun nearly as much as it used to. The forecast is for snooze-inducing cars for the entire foreseeable future, and that sucks giant donkey wieners.

I think we're in a period of "general mayonnaise" right now. We need something to cheer our sorry asses up.

Sadly, I can't find much to disagree with here.

As for me, I'm too busy trying to save my own butt to spend the sort of time and effort on C&G that I'd like to. That, and a lack of participation on certain "projects" has darkened my outlook almost as much as the fuel prices and CAFE BS.

But, this too shall pass.

So let's all make a conscious effort to meet here more often.

This site is my HOME on the internet. :)

Edited by Sixty8panther