Sketch Competition #24 - G5 Replacement VOTING

Welcome to the Sketch Competition #24 Voting thread!

Remember, artists who entered must vote for someone other than themselves.
Those that do not vote or vote for themselves will be assessed a two (2) point penalty.

Voters, please nominate two (2) entries in this format:
1st place
2nd place

Each first place vote earns 2 points and each second place vote earns 1 point.

Voting begins now and will end Saturday, May 17, 2008 @ 11:59 PM. Only those votes cast during that time will be counted.

Draw_Pontiac_G5ag.jpg
Draw_Pontiac_G5ag1.jpg

Draw_Pontiac_G5af.jpg

G5.jpg

pontiacg5gtsedan.jpg
pontiacg5gxpconv.jpg

pontiacg5postug6.jpg
pontiacg5sidelf6.jpg

G5.jpg

smallg5tempestdp3.th.jpg

sea.jpg
gga.jpg

alleg5kleinyb0.th.jpg

pontiacg5frontek1.th.jpg
pontiacg5rearzn6.th.jpg

Good luck to all!

My vote

Hmm, we can only vote 2 of them? Had 3 favorites of them in mind but oh well...

Also, I think you have missed one of them. The one that the user have uploaded rather than posted the pic, I don't remember what it was but I don't see it here.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

Also, I think you have missed one of them. The one that the user have uploaded rather than posted the pic, I don't remember what it was but I don't see it here.

You may be thinking of Luchey. His posting was not a sketch.

I have to disagree with Argen. Though #9 is definitely a more radical design, I don't think it would take be any stretch to be a G5 design. #4 is definitely a handsome design, especially the convertible, and is more in line with Pontiacs current design cues. But #9 is wild and unrestrained, unmistakably a sports car, and this is the kind of style I think all Pontiac models should have, from entry level compact to top-tier halo.

I have to disagree with Argen. Though #9 is definitely a more radical design, I don't think it would take be any stretch to be a G5 design. #4 is definitely a handsome design, especially the convertible, and is more in line with Pontiacs current design cues. But #9 is wild and unrestrained, unmistakably a sports car, and this is the kind of style I think all Pontiac models should have, from entry level compact to top-tier halo.

Well, that's exactly why we disagree. It's wild and unrestrained. I really miss the days when Pontiac wasn't "extreme" all of the time. Wild gave us the monstrosities of the 90's, particularly the Trans Am WS6 with it's preponderance of nostils and whale-tail wing that scream, "Look at me!" Pontiacs of the sixties were good-looking, but never really crossed that line between looking cool and just looking stupid. They were cool because they were a bit subdued and classy; an image that Pontiac could certainly benefit from. Now, nine does yet cross that line, but for god's sake don't tell GM to make Pontiac's styling "wild and unrestrained".

Truthfully, I want Pontiacs to look fantastic. However, I want it to be in a balanced way that is cool and stylish. I've always wanted Pontiac to move in a more fluid direction and also to focus more on overall performance. Generally, I've wanted Pontiac to be more like Mazda and Alfa Romeo. Both are now developing beautiful designs, and both are dedicated to creating lively cars. That means both light, front-drive hatches as well as rear-drive, power mosters. In this context, I imagined the G5 more like the upcoming Mi.To or the 147 or the Mazda3. I didn't mean to come down on number nine, but it just seems more like a proposal for a fiero, than a G5. I think the difference is that nine is what we'd like to see, but it's four is what we'll probably get.

(On a side note, I frequently walk past a RX8 40th Anniversary Edition on the way to the park and I stop and gawk at it every time.)

Well, 9 is my favorite for a couple reasons. I am always a sucker for the swoopy lines that sports cars have, and I want the Pontiacs to have those swoopy lines of their Fiero and Firebird had. Well, believe it or not, the 80's Firebird is the one that got me hooked to Pontiac, and was the very first dream car of mine when I moved to the US in late 1984. From then on, I always loved to see Pontiac as a sports car maker. Though I did know that they had others, but it's their sports cars that really gave me excitement. I am also a sucker for the headlights that goes over to the hood a bit, part of the reason I love my current 08 Grand Prix so much.

btw, mine actually got a vote? amazing, I didn't really expect neither one to get any votes. I think I got lucky there. Thanx. :rolleyes: I wonder what is the next contest going to be like, so I can prepare for it. :)

I guess the winner has pretty much been determined so far.

Well, I was born in Seoul, Korea in 1971, and moved to US and got naturalized as US citizen later. You may have noticed that I am not from US since my English still isn't perfect, which I feel kinda ashamed since it's been over 20 years.

My love for swoopy sports cars probably born by the Firebird, since when I was young in Korea, I have never seen such a sexy looking, swoopy designs like the Firebird, with the hidden, pop-up headlights, since all Korea had were boring small hatchback called Hyundai Pony, boring little sedan called Hyundai Stellar, Kia Brisa, and all. All they had were FAR from being looking any good, since, in the old days, it was considerred a luxury just to own a car(well, back in the late 70s). My dad had like 3 different years of Hyundai Pony(I think 1976, then 1979, then 1981 I believe), and they were FAR from being a quality cars you would dream of. cramped interior(was a small car), rear wheels protrude into the rear seats, un-hatchback like, tiny trunk, and all. It wasn't until the early 80's when Daewoo motors were established and started selling a modified Opel Rekord as Daewoo Royal, as a more expensive family sedan. When we moved to US in late 84, one sight of the Firebird was enough to fuel my love for sports cars, even more so due to the help from the show called 'Knight Rider'. From then on, I had always been a sucker for the swoopy sports car looks, and the pop-up headlights, once pop-up headlights died down(which I still miss), Grand Prix's headlights caught my eyes when it was re-styled in 2003, that covers a bit of the hood, and I love that design still, along with the swoopy rear quarter that make it look sorta like a 4 door sports car, also the fog-lights that were housed together with the turn signal, which in my opinion is a really clever design, all of which that are MISSING from the aussie made G8 trash.

Well, that's that. Sorry about the long post.

Well, I was born in Seoul, Korea in 1971, and moved to US and got naturalized as US citizen later. You may have noticed that I am not from US since my English still isn't perfect, which I feel kinda ashamed since it's been over 20 years.

My love for swoopy sports cars probably born by the Firebird, since when I was young in Korea, I have never seen such a sexy looking, swoopy designs like the Firebird, with the hidden, pop-up headlights, since all Korea had were boring small hatchback called Hyundai Pony, boring little sedan called Hyundai Stellar, Kia Brisa, and all. All they had were FAR from being looking any good, since, in the old days, it was considerred a luxury just to own a car(well, back in the late 70s). My dad had like 3 different years of Hyundai Pony(I think 1976, then 1979, then 1981 I believe), and they were FAR from being a quality cars you would dream of. cramped interior(was a small car), rear wheels protrude into the rear seats, un-hatchback like, tiny trunk, and all. It wasn't until the early 80's when Daewoo motors were established and started selling a modified Opel Rekord as Daewoo Royal, as a more expensive family sedan. When we moved to US in late 84, one sight of the Firebird was enough to fuel my love for sports cars, even more so due to the help from the show called 'Knight Rider'. From then on, I had always been a sucker for the swoopy sports car looks, and the pop-up headlights, once pop-up headlights died down(which I still miss), Grand Prix's headlights caught my eyes when it was re-styled in 2003, that covers a bit of the hood, and I love that design still, along with the swoopy rear quarter that make it look sorta like a 4 door sports car, also the fog-lights that were housed together with the turn signal, which in my opinion is a really clever design, all of which that are MISSING from the aussie made G8 trash.

Well, that's that. Sorry about the long post.

Except the G8 has something the GP never had: real performance and fantastic proportions. It even has something the Firebird never had...an IRS. Styling is subjective but the G8 is most certainly not trash.

It IS to me at least. For I don't care about the power. I care more about sportier styling BEFORE the power, so..... Especially when the gas prices are ridiculously high like todays. I know I'm the only one, but I still think they should have kept the Grand Prix and sold it ALONGSIDE the G8, since that stupid Chevy trash(impala junk) still goes on no matter what. Even if it is the better seller, I hate the Impala even more since I blame Impala for the death of Grand Prix. Again, I know I'm the only one, but I absolutely hate the IMPORT so....

Also, to me, G8 is like the second ugliest Pontiac ever, after that stupid chevy trash re-badge G5. Too plain to be called a Pontiac. Due to this G8, I even hate Holden for doing business in US under my favorite brand. I want them to do business in US as HOLDEN, NOT Pontiac. Again, I know I am the only one, but I absolutely HATE the G8's styling, INSIDE and OUT. I would have not hated it this much if it was the replacement for the Bonniville only, but since it killed my favorite car, Grand Prix along with it, I just don't like it Period. TOO PLAIN, and it's the UGLIEST TRASH I have ever seen for ANY Pontiac.

I am sorry, but that's how much I hate imports, especially if they are doing business under Pontiac name. I hated the LeMans so much before, same thing goes to the Holden GTO which is NOT a Pontiac, and now the G8, I hate all 3.

It IS to me at least. For I don't care about the power. I care more about sportier styling BEFORE the power, so..... I know I'm the only one, but I still think they should have kept the Grand Prix and sold it ALONGSIDE the G8, since that stupid Chevy trash(impala junk) still goes on no matter what. Even if it is the better seller, I hate the Impala even more since I blame Impala for the death of Grand Prix. Again, I know I'm the only one, but I absolutely hate the IMPORT so....

Also, to me, G8 is like the second ugliest Pontiac ever, after than stupid chevy re-badge G5. Too plain to be called a Pontiac. Due to this G8, I even hate Holden for doing business in US under my favorite brand. I want them to do business in US as HOLDEN, NOT Pontiac. Again, I know I am the only one, but I absolutely HATE the G8's styling, INSIDE and OUT. I would have not hated it this much if it was the replacement for the Bonniville only, but since it killed my favorite car, Grand Prix along with it, I just don't like it Period. TOO PLAIN, and it's the UGLIEST TRASH I have ever seen for ANY Pontiac.

I am sorry, but that's how much I hate imports, especially if they are doing business under Pontiac name.

Ugliest Pontiac award goes to the Aztek, then I would say the plastic cladded Grand Am is next up, oh and let's not forget the $h!fire, or and the Current GP is no looker either (I liked the previous generation though). You forget that Holden is owned and operated (just like Opel and GMDAT) by GM. I find the G8 to be one of the best looking, best proportioned and most cleanly (no stupid plastic cladding) sedans on the market. Different strokes for different folks. :)

Also I didn't mention power, although it has that in spades too. Performance is also (and importantly) about being able to actually go around a corner without understeering into a tree.

Edited by Dodgefan

I know, I know, I DID say I'm the only one, but to me, I find Aztek a BEAUTIFUL car. It was UNIQUE to pontiac, and until Buick came out with the Rendezvous, it was the ONLY car ONLY Pontiac had, that was VERY functional. Believe it or not, I actually have it's poster posted in my room that I got from the auto show several years back. Also, I prefer Sunfire over ANY G5 trash that is nothing more than just a name-badge and grille modifications of the Cobalt $h!. At least Sunfire had it's OWN front and back design that were WAY sportier than Cobalt ever was. Also, Grand Prix should have NEVER died. I could have been lot happier if they hadn't killed the Grand Prix and ADD the G8 there, for I am all for ADDITIONAL, NEW products for my favorite brand, NOT killing of any existing ones, like Chevy is doing. Also, for the plastic claddigs, I admit, they used it way too much, but I am like the proud only owner of the 99 Grandam and loves the claddings, that told you that it IS a Pontiac. It gave Pontiacs that character that you can tell from a far, that it is a Pontiac. Though my 08 Grand Prix doesn't have it(Well, Grand Prix Never had the claddings as far as I can remember), I wouldn't trade my beautiful Grand Prix, nor my dad's(it's his now) Grand am over 100 G8s if they even going to give them to me for FREE. That's how much I hate it. Partly due to the fact that it WASN'T made in North America. I mean, if they give 100 G8's to me, I would probably junk them, and get $500 out of it(you know $50 you get for junking the car).

I know, I may sound arrogant, but that's how much I am AGAINST getting the Holden product to sell under Pontiac. I know they are owned by GM, but I would rather see them sell AS Holden or OTHER GM brand, EXCLUDING Chevy(for I hate them and I DON'T Want them to get ANY new models), NOT Pontiac. NEVER. I would rather have the used and beat up 10 year old Bonneville over this threatningly ugly Aussie import trash. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing AGAINST Australian made cars, I just DON'T like them doing business in US under Pontiac that's all. I DO Love SOME Australian cars, such as FPV F6 Typhoon, which is a great car, though rather plain looking. but it too, I never want to see it being sold under Pontiac. I even hated the LeMans that was actually made in my native country since it was sold under Pontiac, my favorite brand.

Also, performance does not mean a thing to me, since I don't use the car that much, other than commute to work back and forth and a regular grocery, and the gas price reaching $4.00 a gallon these days, I DO NOT want to waste my money on performance oriented gas guzzler, when my 08 Grand Prix's 3.8 litre itself proves to be a sorta gas guzzler compared with my previous 3.4 litre Grandam.

Sorry if you are offended by any of my remarks, but that's how I see it.

Just to mess with the numbers:

Sorry, but the first is just a more realistic proposal. Number nine is a brilliant rendering, but it just doesn't seem like a G5.

I agree.

4 (more realistic)

9 (what it should be)

Actually, you english is very good and I didn't actually think you were from another country until you mentioned it. We've actually had a 93 Grand Am, which was replaced with a 04 Grand Am. My dad also has a 78 Grand Am coupe and is trying to piece back together the 76 Ventura in our garage.

• 1 month later...