Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

- - - - - - GA$ - - - - - -

4th gen F-body for the win! :AH-HA_wink:

Seriously.

They get great mileage.

I wonder what sort of mileage the wagon will get when it's done? Might surprise a few folks around here.

Meanwhile. I suffer with the cost of diesel (paid 4.99 9/10ths today) as I am driving the Silverado exclusively now.

Found a viable answer recently: I super low-mile '76 Chevelle sedan with a 250 6cyl. and three on the tree! The thing even has a factory radio delete - total stripper!

Get it! And pics please!

How about a Ford Aerostar? RWD v6 and you can get them with a 5 speed?

I love RWD beasts from the past as much as the next guy but at 5 am when i drive my FWD Buick i could careless which wheels have the power going to them.

I respect you very much for never breaking your promises, but it might be time to swallow your pride and get a 3800 W body. Great on gas, safe, very comfortable. I mean to back and forth to work its perfect then every go cruising or shopping take the Classics out. I saved $20 bucks last week by driving the LeSabre from the caprice. Thats a nice carry out dinner for free. I still feel the same at the end of the day.

:yes:

How about a Ford Aerostar? RWD v6 and you can get them with a 5 speed?

I love RWD beasts from the past as much as the next guy but at 5 am when i drive my FWD Buick i could careless which wheels have the power going to them.

I respect you very much for never breaking your promises, but it might be time to swallow your pride and get a 3800 W body. Great on gas, safe, very comfortable. I mean to back and forth to work its perfect then every go cruising or shopping take the Classics out. I saved $20 bucks last week by driving the LeSabre from the caprice. Thats a nice carry out dinner for free. I still feel the same at the end of the day.

Thats why it wouldnt bother me to drive an Impala when the lease on the Equinox is up. Even Moms Aveo doesnt bother me other than the pedal placement and the lack of a good right armrest. I would drive the other 2 only every so often.

Hey I got it. I will use the Sears Craftsman whenever possible. There we go!!!!! I could gear it to go about 35-40 mph. Can you do that?

Capriceman:

While they are not "bad" suggestions, I'd rather put

a gun in my mouth before I own a ford minivan

on a Ranger frame (Aerostar) or a Wonder-bread

bland FWD car with B-pillars and a sideways motor.

I'm really in love with my idea of that Corvair....

- 4-speed

- pancake six

- air cooled

- HARDTOP

- white interior

- RWD

- 20-24 mpg

Not in the budget at the moment, but who knows?

BTW: I found a '77 that is it's twin as well. :AH-HA_wink:

Where on Earth do you find this stuff because around here in my neck of the woods, there is no such thing as a 1970-1980 Chevrolet for sale that isn't a Chevelle/Malibu/Camaro/Monte Carlo. All the four doors around here were demolition derbied long ago, I'm afraid. I'd love to have either the '76 or '77 you described!

While they are not "bad" suggestions, I'd rather put

a gun in my mouth before I own a ford minivan

on a Ranger frame (Aerostar) or a Wonder-bread

bland FWD car with B-pillars and a sideways motor.

I'm really in love with my idea of that Corvair....

How bout a 4Gen F-Body with the 3400 or 3800? Camino may be on to something.

1996 Firebird 3.8L

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/car/683323118.html

1997 Camaro 3.8L

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/car/684907507.html

1995 Camaro 3.4L

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/car/680667265.html

2000 Camaro 3.8L

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/car/678452884.html

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Where on Earth do you find this stuff because around here in my neck of the woods, there is no such thing as a 1970-1980 Chevrolet for sale that isn't a Chevelle/Malibu/Camaro/Monte Carlo. All the four doors around here were demolition derbied long ago, I'm afraid. I'd love to have either the '76 or '77 you described!

Both cars are local barn finds.

Well, I haven't had to drive the SS much while in San Diego since the University offers free shuttle and local bus service. But, it looks like I'll be going to work in New Mexico for a few years, and I've been looking into something small, efficient (both in terms of fuel and packaging), reliable, sub $20k... the 4 door Astra is currently topping the list.

edit: This doesn't mean I'll be ditching the SS!

Scratch the Astra, apparently mpg drops significantly at speeds above 65 mph. I think I'll just be getting a Cobalt coupe with the 2.2L and a 5M instead.

I was just thinking i cant remember the last time a saw a three on the tree. I haven't drove one since i was 20 that was at least 23 years ago

I was just thinking i cant remember the last time a saw a three on the tree. I haven't drove one since i was 20 that was at least 23 years ago

I can't recall when I've seen one...never driven one... I can't imagine driving a manual with a column shift.

That's what they say, but every Astro I've seen has done a great job of protecting the people inside...

My friend had a 91 and got caught in a 3 truck accident (it was between the other two) and he walked away...

Our Astro took a nasty 30 m.p.h. hit in the ass end from a Semi...that pushed it through a busy intersection and about 40 feet beyond...

My wife drove it to work after the accident. When it went in to get fixed, the body shop guy said that there was no frame damage.

Chris

Ah, 3-on-the-tree. I bemember it well. Down and back, up and forward, down and forward. Reverse? Up and back. To make it even more fun, the column-shift manuals I've driven had no power steering, they were in full-size pickups, AND I was a runt. Memories!

When I can think of it, and I know there's going to be a long red light, I shut off the Sierra at traffic signals and slip it into neutral. I keep the DIC on "instant MPG" mode, it scares the crap out of me, so it makes me keep my foot out of it most of the time. Living in a hilly area takes it toll, as well. This past weekend in flat, level Maryland and Delaware, I was very pleased with my mileage at 60 mph on those smooth highways.

As Sly mentioned earlier on in the thread, my solution to the rising gas prices was to buy a bike. Okay, so maybe thats not really why I got the Harley, but if I take the bike out on the nice days this summer, I'm sure it will save me a little money (on gas, that is...)

The L98 in my GTA seized up last week, so I'm currently car-less (feels weird) and trying to find something in the ~$600 price range that gets somewhat decent fuel economy. Anything over 15mpg is acceptable to me. While I'd love to find a clone of my old Comanche (2wd 2.8 5 speed), it seems like that's gonna be pretty hard to do. I thought about a neon, but would prefer a 2wd 4 cyl 5 speed S10, a 4 cyl 5 speed Cherokee, or something along those lines.

Sly, I say sell the banana and the B59.... the Caddy is deteriorating cosmetically and while its a cool ride, its not anything too special. The 59 is just taking up space and not doing you or Julie any good, and while you'll miss it i'm sure, again, its not anything too special as far as its not like your 'dream' 59 Buick. I would clean them both up and sell them, take the money and get you and Julie some reliable and economical transportation, and save the money you're left with until Julie is feeling better, back at work, and things settle down a little bit as far as jobs/the apartment/the kid on the way. Then go out and buy whatever pre-war car you want, or find the 59 of your dreams. To me, that just sounds like a more practical and efficient way to go about the whole car situation right now.

Take it for what it is though... I dont have a car, or a motorcycle license, and I have to go 20 miles each way to get to/from work every day... so I guess I'm not one to talk about practicality or efficiency, haha

nightster-1.jpg

To me, that just sounds like a more practical and efficient way to go about the whole car situation right now.

Hmmm...'practical and efficient' are not words I would ever associate with 68... :)

Well, I got the Craigslist ad. for the Banana Boat up last night.

It sucks that I'm selling this thing but I keep reminding myself

when I have the money I'll get a '61 Cadillac hardtop that will

fill the Cadillac shaped hole in my heart quite well.

Check it out and let me know what you think: I neglected to

mention XP's ownership since I thought it would confuse the

potential buyers to hear I bought the car twice... (sketchy?)

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/car/687481342.html

Just as one door closes, another one opens. A '65-'69 Corvair

hardtop, esp. 2 door has long been on my list of dream cars.

If I can do well on this sale than that black Corvair with a

white interior might just appear in my driveway. :)

How bout a 4Gen F-Body with the 3400 or 3800? Camino may be on to something.

two or three years ago I might have gone for somethig like that

but after owning the Coupe deVille I want a car that has a

back seat bigger than a Barbie Corvette. I can't beleive I've

actually turned into one of those people.... bitching about the

lack of rear seat space in a 4th gen. F-body! Having kids really

does change everything.