Maybe Uncle Bob was one-hundred percent right ...

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/world/env....html?id=525590

You may have heard earlier this month that global warming is now likely to take a break for a decade or more. There will be no more warming until 2015, perhaps later.

Climate scientist Noel Keenlyside, leading a team from Germany's Leibniz Institute of Marine Science and the Max Planck Institute of Meteorology, for the first time entered verifiable data on ocean circulation cycles into one of the U. N.'s climate supercomputers, and the machine spit out a projection that there will be no more warming for the foreseeable future.

Of course, Mr. Keenlyside-- long a defender of the man-made global warming theory -- was quick to add that after 2015 (or perhaps 2020), warming would resume with a vengeance.

Climate alarmists the world over were quick to add that they had known all along there would be periods when the Earth's climate would cool even as the overall trend was toward dangerous climate change.

Sorry, but that is just so much backfill.

There may have been the odd global-warming scientist in the past decade who allowed that warming would pause periodically in its otherwise relentless upward march, but he or she was a rarity.

If anything, the opposite is true: Almost no climate scientist who backed the alarmism ever expected warming would take anything like a 10 or 15-year hiatus.

Last year, in its oft-quoted report on global warming, the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) predicted a 0.3-degree C rise in temperature in the coming decade -- not a cooling or even just temperature stability.

In its previous report in 2001, the IPCC prominently displaced the so-called temperature "hockey stick" that purported to show temperature pretty much plateauing for the thousand years before 1900, then taking off in the 20th Century in a smooth upward line. No 10-year dips backwards were foreseen.

It is drummed into us, ad nauseum, that the IPCC represents 2,500 scientists who together embrace a "consensus" that man-made global warming is a "scientific fact;" and as recently as last year, they didn't see this cooling coming. So the alarmists can't weasel out of this by claiming they knew all along such anomalies would occur.

This is not something any alarmist predicted, and it showed up in none of the UN's computer projections until Mr. Keenlyside et al. were finally able to enter detailed data into their climate model on past ocean current behaviour.

Less well-known is that global temperatures have already been falling for a decade. All of which means, that by 2015 or 2020, when warming is expected to resume, we will have had nearly 20 years of fairly steady cooling.

Saints of the new climate religion, such as Al Gore, have stated that eight of the 10 years since 1998 are the warmest on record. Even if that were true, none has been as warm as 1998, which means the trend of the past decade has been downward, not upward.

Last year, for instance, saw a drop in the global average temperature of nearly 0.7 degrees C (the largest single-year movement up or down since global temperature averages have been calculated). Despite advanced predictions that 2007 would be the warmest year on record, made by such UN associates as Britain's Hadley Centre, a government climate research agency, 2007 was the coolest year since at least 1993.

According to the U. S. National Climatic Data Center, the average temperature of the global land surface in January 2008 was below the 20th-Century mean for the first time since 1982.

Also in January, Southern Hemisphere sea ice coverage was at its greatest summer level (January is summer in the Southern Hemisphere) in the past 30 years.

Neither the 3,000 temperature buoys that float throughout the world's oceans nor the eight NASA satellites that float above our atmosphere have recorded appreciable warming in the past six to eight years.

Even Rajendra Pachauri, the head of the IPCC, reluctantly admitted to Reuters in January that there has been no warming so far in the 21st Century.

Does this prove that global warming isn't happening, that we can all go back to idling our SUVs 24/7? No. But it should introduce doubt into the claim that the science of global warming is "settled."

Thank you for this.

Maybe it is just sheer luck but my theory on global warming seems to be very true.

Global warming =/= truth, facts or evidence

Global warming = hidden agenda, $$$$$$ politic$ & more $$$$$$

Thank you for this.

Maybe it is just sheer luck but my theory on global warming seems to be very true.

Global warming =/= truth, facts or evidence

Global warming = hidden agenda, $$$$$$ politic$ & more $$$$$$

Global warming is nothing more than a multi-billion dollar enterprise. Is it complete bull$h!? For the most part, yes, but there is some good that has come from it.

I've never believed in global warming...I've laughed at those who do. The sun goes through phases. It has much more impact on our temperature than any human-induced global warming can every achieve. The sun goes through cycles every 11 years in regards to its sunspots (Scwabe cycle). More sunspots = more energy, and throughout the next 11 years the sunspots slowly decrease. A new cycle begins when the average number of sunspots on year is greater than the year before it. Scwabe cycles are known to get less intense over periods of many year, as that is part of another much more vast cycle...one which affected the 1700's in what is known as the Maunder Minimum. A mini ice-age if you will. Believe it or not, we are headed into a global cooling trend as the next couple decades will most likely prove. Get out your parkas. :AH-HA_wink:

Guys, finding and reading this article has made my great day go out on a great note. I now have a truckload of crow ready to go for one of my teachers, who highly advocates Mr. Al Gore and the theory of Global Warming.

Now, I am not saying that pollution does not have detrimental effects on the environment. It does. Air pollution leads to health problems, acid rain, and so forth. Land pollution comes back to haunt us with a poisoned water supply. But what upsets me is that the fact it has been blown totally and completely out of proportion for political agendas. We now have a man with Nobel Peace Prizes because he has forced his agenda laden with his brand of psuedo-environmentalism down the throat of politics and the American people as a result, a man who is essentially a fraud and is not deserving of the merit he has been given.

I hope to god it just keeps cooling down after their so called "15 year hiatus" passes so that these environmentalist poseurs will be exiled out of the scientific community as well as the political community.

Edited by YellowJacket894

The whole Global Warming deal is so politicized that the rhetoric is near-poisonous. I too, was under the impression that we were headed for a cooling, because that's what I was taught in school.

Although I hope that one day in the future that we will be laughing at the 'Global Warming' hysteria, I still think that we should be looking at our ecological footprint, and look for ways to minimize our environmental damage.

The whole Global Warming deal is so politicized that the rhetoric is near-poisonous. I too, was under the impression that we were headed for a cooling, because that's what I was taught in school.

Although I hope that one day in the future that we will be laughing at the 'Global Warming' hysteria, I still think that we should be looking at our ecological footprint, and look for ways to minimize our environmental damage.

Agreed.

+1

just like the laugh we had at the 70's global cooling scare...

We're just human, we still know $h! compared to how everything works.

Eventhough global warming is bullsh*t... And it is.

I still don't think much can be done to sway public opinion. The ignorant masses have found something else to panic about (Think: Cold War, Communism, Witches) And as such, the elite of our now global society have found something that will 'keep the masses under control'. Nothing more than good 'ole Conflict Theory in Sociology; the elite control the masses through policy, lies and limiting freedom.

Think of it like this; GM now makes some of the best cars in the world, yet the ignorant masses still believe exactly the opposite because they are TOLD to do so. People could be freezing their asses off in Mexico and would still believe in global warming because they have been cognitively conditioned to do so.

Eventhough global warming is bullsh*t... And it is.

I still don't think much can be done to sway public opinion. The ignorant masses have found something else to panic about (Think: Cold War, Communism, Witches) And as such, the elite of our now global society have found something that will 'keep the masses under control'. Nothing more than good 'ole Conflict Theory in Sociology; the elite control the masses through policy, lies and limiting freedom.

Think of it like this; GM now makes some of the best cars in the world, yet the ignorant masses still believe exactly the opposite because they are TOLD to do so. People could be freezing their asses off in Mexico and would still believe in global warming because they have been cognitively conditioned to do so.

Absolutely.

Want proof?

You won't find any of the prominent wackos using the term "global warming" any longer. They are now using "climate change" to cover their asses as global temperatures drop. New name - same load of BS.

Stick it to the evnviormentalists all over the world in there Prius's, am still feeding 3 large American cars with V6's. Bastards.

Not to take the wind out of your sails... but....

my daily driver: 7.0 liter V8

wife's car: 5.7 liter V8

my "toy" 6.0 liter V8

company car: 4.6 liter V8

Thats 23.3 liters spread amongst four cars. By "big" did you

mean the Pontiac's 3.8 liter V6 or the Chevy's 3.4 liter? :wink:

Guys, finding and reading this article has made my great day go out on a great note. I now have a truckload of crow ready to go for one of my teachers, who highly advocates Mr. Al Gore and the theory of Global Warming.

Now, I am not saying that pollution does not have detrimental effects on the environment. It does. Air pollution leads to health problems, acid rain, and so forth. Land pollution comes back to haunt us with a poisoned water supply. But what upsets me is that the fact it has been blown totally and completely out of proportion for political agendas. We now have a man with Nobel Peace Prizes because he has forced his agenda laden with his brand of psuedo-environmentalism down the throat of politics and the American people as a result, a man who is essentially a fraud and is not deserving of the merit he has been given.

I hope to god it just keeps cooling down after their so called "15 year hiatus" passes so that these environmentalist poseurs will be exiled out of the scientific community as well as the political community.

For the record, the scientific community collectively bang their heads on the wall when scientific theory is confused with "theory" in common usage.

It's about time the global warming fad ends.

We have more to worry about from the next ice age than we do global warming. If you think 3°C hotter than normal is bad, try 8°C below normal. The scary part is that, the next one is right around the corner! Oh no! I wonder how the media will deal with the impending ice age?

Weather and Climate are young sciences. How to respond to weather and climate IS politics.

Perfectly aware of the age of weather and climate (~<150 years old) . There are so many big problems in the USA and Canada that it seems like mental masturbation for politicians to take on a problem that scientists are more equipped to educate the world on.

the local paper had an uproarius article they posted on their web site last night about a local weather man who basically went on record saying a similar thing. within a couple hours there were over 500 comments either from libbers wanting to hang the guy or from common folks like the rest of us who know GW was a crock and a way to take away liberties and know that Gore is a fraud.

Think Gore should go to court, or at best give back the Nobel Prize and all the money he's profited from this?

Will they take back the Nobel, Oscar from Al Gore?

Better not.... he'll shut down the internet. After all he INVENTED it. :rolleyes:

Good comments in this thread. Climatology is a young science. I loved the remark about scientific 'theories.' Too true. Even evolution is considered a theory, despite the piling on of evidence from different disciplines.

It only makes sense that 6 1/2 billion people are making a dent on this planet. It also makes sense for us to gently move toward saner energy and resource uses. The Cold War remarks were spot on!

C'mon my friend, you know we don't feel that way just because we think that the global warming hysteria is BS.

I think you are in the minority.

I'm the oddball around here. I don't care if my car is a V8, V6, I3, or radial 7. I don't care if it's fueled on puppy dog smiles as long as they're cheap, renewable, and doesn't cause pollution.

What I want is a classy exterior/interior, roominess, and lots power.

There are many out there who only want to fuel with gasoline.... not even diesel is acceptable to them.

There are many out there who only want to be at the helm of a V8 powered vehicle, a V6 or even a Turbo-4 with great performance is unacceptable to them. <I believe you fall in this category>

These people just dismiss global warming because it conflicts with their wants.... not because of any specific research out there.

Besides, one article doesn't wipe out years of research. When Switzerland gets it's glaciers back, when 1,500 year old ice sheets 7 times the size of Manhattan stop breaking off Antarctica, when the Northern Passage is no longer regularly navigable, then get back to me about global warming being total BS.

Sure we know how gravity works... in theory. :wink:

I'm the oddball around here. I don't care if my car is a V8, V6, I3, or radial 7. I don't care if it's fueled on puppy dog smiles as long as they're cheap, renewable, and doesn't cause pollution.

What I want is a classy exterior/interior, roominess, and lots power.

There are many out there who only want to fuel with gasoline.... not even diesel is acceptable to them.

There are many out there who only want to be at the helm of a V8 powered vehicle, a V6 or even a Turbo-4 with great performance is unacceptable to them. <I believe you fall in this category>

These people just dismiss global warming because it conflicts with their wants.... not because of any specific research out there.

Besides, one article doesn't wipe out years of research. When Switzerland gets it's glaciers back, when 1,500 year old ice sheets 7 times the size of Manhattan stop breaking off Antarctica, when the Northern Passage is no longer regularly navigable, then get back to me about global warming being total BS.

Nobody is arguing that these events are happening! Where the controversy lays is in the mechanisms that are making them happen. The biggest challenge is that there weren't meaningful records kept much before the beginning of the last century and weather satellites only go back 40 years. With Mother Nature we are talking tens of thousands of years to formulate a decent weather model. For all we know, the fact that the North AMerican plate is separating from the European plate by an inch a year could be doing it. Before you laugh too hard, in 100 years ( a mere blink to Mother Nature) that means North America will have moved 8 feet!

How does that affect ocean currents?

Nobody is arguing that these events are happening! Where the controversy lays is in the mechanisms that are making them happen. The biggest challenge is that there weren't meaningful records kept much before the beginning of the last century and weather satellites only go back 40 years. With Mother Nature we are talking tens of thousands of years to formulate a decent weather model. For all we know, the fact that the North AMerican plate is separating from the European plate by an inch a year could be doing it. Before you laugh too hard, in 100 years ( a mere blink to Mother Nature) that means North America will have moved 8 feet!

How does that affect ocean currents?

I don't doubt that there are multiple causes for climate change. There are those that we can't alter, but there are still those we can because we are the source. Carbon Dioxide is a greenhouse gas... that isn't in question.

We are simultaneously vomiting up massive amounts of carbon dioxide while also chopping down the main sink for CO2, the rain forests. Much of that CO2 has been trapped under ground for millenia.

A certain amount of CO2 is required for the balance of the ecosystem on this planet. Unfortunately, we are helping to tip that balance substantially.

As far as the climatology record. Mother nature keeps her own record... she doesn't need any help from us. Ice cores are just one way of measuring what was happening way back in the day.

The minority is not as small as you may think. :AH-HA_wink:

As a matter of fact, I am trying to find a way to obtain a diesel car to fit my needs. If I am unsuccessful in finding one, I will find a suitable compromise.

I don't dismiss the effects man-sourced pollution has on this planet. They are there and they are visible; we can have an effect, either positive or negative, on our environment. I would be ignorant to deny that.

However, I do largely dismiss the theory of global warming because it is, in my opinion, a horrible exaggeration of that fact I have just mentioned. I resent how it is treated as scientific truth when it is not, I resent how it is treated as if there could be nothing out there to prove it false, especially by the extremists who put a lot of faith into a theory based around a science we are still learning to understand. Any skeptic who challenges it is scolded and labeled as a wasteful human being.

Edited by YellowJacket894

some theories have tons more evidence than others. Gravity is very predictable above the nanoscale. Evolution explains pretty much everything except how life started. "global warming" has some facts backing it up, but does not explain a process or events why those facts are there.

Oldsmoboi.... I too don't care what we use to fuel our lives, as long as it can be extracted/pumped/refined/made in responsible ways. making a market for corn ethanol that causes more pollution than other alternatives is not responsible. Brazil makes ethanol, what, 1/3 as cheaply, yet we can't trade that with them, how is that responsible? subsidies and devaluing the dollar with our foreign policy/budget is not responsible either. Ideas / policies that aren't responsible is what is causing all these debates/problems/unrest in our society.

When you break down our problems down to something everyone can understand, instead of the blame game, solving the problems become much easier.

When you break down our problems down to something everyone can understand, instead of the blame game, solving the problems become much easier.

How about this then:

Your gasoline powered BOF V8 is killing the environment, economy, dollar, and national security.

Before anyone makes a quip about my Roadmaster, I log 5 times the number of miles on buses <sometimes hybrid ones> than I do behind the wheel of the Roadmaster.

I also have been fueling the Roadmaster with E85.

Nope..

What people want here is to AVOID giving up their freedom. And all we ask is that people try to innovate instead of 'give up'. I don't want to drive a &#036;h&#33;ty car, and before you say that cars wont go downhill because of this propaganda, REMEMBER the 80s.

I aspire only to a V8. But thats because I don't want the alarmists among us to completely rule out the FREEDOM of driving a V8. Would I consider something else? Sure. Do I drive a V8 everyday? Absolutely not.

I buck on the global warming myth because evidence hasn't been shown to prove it even exists. With gravity and evolution, the evidence is there but the puzzle isn't complete. But more importantly, I'm tired of people trying to tell me how to live my life. This society is so condescending and concerned with peripherals that the core is rotting right in front of our eyes. Maybe that is the 'iceberg' we should be worrying about.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

How about this then:

Your gasoline powered BOF V8 is killing the environment, economy, dollar, and national security.

Before anyone makes a quip about my Roadmaster, I log 5 times the number of miles on buses <sometimes hybrid ones> than I do behind the wheel of the Roadmaster.

I also have been fueling the Roadmaster with E85.

you're so condescending. why?

maybe I didn't make my last post as explaining as i wanted. my bold was not only aimed at you, but everyone.

edit: your first statement is placing blame, exactly what i was talking about.

Edited by loki

"Global Warming" is simply a Crock of &#036;h&#33;. Even if it weren't, we, as mere humans, cannot do anything about it, we're too small. That's not to say I will throw out my compact florescents, or my reusable grocery bags, it just means I am not going to regress to the ways of the Amish to please some wingnut who is jumping on the latest Chicken Little bandwagon.

"Global Warming" is simply a Crock of &#036;h&#33;. Even if it weren't, we, as mere humans, cannot do anything about it, we're too small. That's not to say I will throw out my compact florescents, or my reusable grocery bags, it just means I am not going to regress to the ways of the Amish to please some wingnut who is jumping on the latest Chicken Little bandwagon.

don't forget those evil CFL's have evil, cancerous, maddening mercury in them. (starting the CFL scare I am) :lol:

you're so condescending. why?

maybe I didn't make my last post as explaining as i wanted. my bold was not only aimed at you, but everyone.

edit: your first statement is placing blame, exactly what i was talking about.

Not that I think anyone on this board needs it, but it explains the situation to the lowest common denominator.

1. Carbon Dioxide is a greenhouse gas. This is a proven fact, not a theory.

2. We are adding massive amounts of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere.

3. We are cutting down the forests that remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

Unfortunately, the full situation proves too complicated to people who care more about who Paris Hilton is dating. So it really does need to be broken down to "Gas burning V8 = bad for puppies".

Edit: You can't address the problem without finding the cause. Of course I realize there are many other sources of CO2 that need to be addressed, but this is a car website.

But here is where the opinions differ: some believe we should become Amish while others believe we are entitled to drive Ford Expeditions, while I believe that we in the West can do whatever the f%$K we please until a certain half dozen countries learn to zipper up their pants!!!! :banghead:

The government of India has the f$%King audacity to go whining to the UN because they believe there is a international conspiracy (that Canada is at the center of :smilewide: ) to prop up the value of potash. India. Population 1.2 billion and growing at nearly 100 million a year. How dare they lecture anybody else on hogging or abusing resources!! A country not much larger than Ontario and Quebec (combined population 19 million), with 55 times the population!

Hmm.

Some clarification seems to be required here.

I may love my V8s, but I am a major advocate for both alternative fuels and planting trees - the status of "global warming" notwithstanding.

However, I simply don't buy all of the fearmongering BS we are being fed.

Hmm.

Some clarification seems to be required here.

I may love my V8s, but I am a major advocate for both alternative fuels and planting trees - the status of "global warming" notwithstanding.

However, I simply don't buy all of the fearmongering BS we are being fed.

as I said, you are in the minority.