GM Officially Cancels Zeta Buick

General Motors' on again, off again rear-wheel drive sedan plans are, well, off again. The U.S.' largest automaker has been mulling over a rear-wheel drive Chevrolet Impala and a rear-wheel drive Buick sedan, but both plans have been canceled due to newly passed CAFE regulations.

A source familiar with GM's plans revealed to Automotive News that GM had actually planned to release a rear-wheel drive Impala in 2011. The design featured a long hood and short decklid and was about 3 inches longer than the front-wheel drive 2008 model.

The source also revealed that the rear-wheel drive Impala was slated to get an SS version, which would have featured a V8 producing more than 350 horsepower.

However, the 35 mpg CAFE regulations have forced GM to scraps its large rear-wheel drive plans. Both of the canceled models were slated to ride on the same Zeta platform that underpins the Pontiac G8 and the upcoming 2010 Chevrolet Camaro.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-officially-...uick-model.html

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a smart move. And it'll give the new LaCrosse, which will be better than the current vehicle and roomy-enough, some breathing space in Buick showrooms too.

The "full-size" sedan market is a loser from a business standpoint too. Not just because of CAFE either. It's been shrinking for years, and going to continue to contract as buyers look to smaller cars.

GM needs to plot all its vehicles on a graph. 2 axes: sales potential on one and profit margin on the other. Full-sized sedans end up in the worst quadrant: low profit because of high incentives and low sales potential because of shrinking market. GM ran its factories in the 1st quarter of 2008 at 76% of capacity. Factor in another 10% too high of reliance on fleet sales and you've got about 7 or 8 assembly plants they need to close to get close to 100% plant capacity (the holy grail of profitability). My vote starting with full-sized sedans would be:

> Detroit-Hamtramck

> Doraville (minivans)

> Moraine (mid-sized BOF SUVs)

> Wilmington (find a way to build the Solstice and Sky at Bowling Green)

> Orion (G6 is quickly becoming a fleet queen - get rid of her and let the new LaX shine at PBG dealers)

> Lordstown (build the Deltas in Korea)

> your choice of 2 full-sized P/U and SUV plants (the demand is not coming back ever)

I'm heart broke too, but they know where the market is heading, and unfortunately, for fans of bigger, V8 Sedans, it's looking like you'll have to pony up to a $60,000 Caddy if you want something like that.

Guys, from the looks of things, I think the US auto industry returning to the "glory days" of awesome RWD V8 sedans isn't going to come to us now, thanks to high oil prices and our Government. I'd be willing to bet that in a few short years, aside from Caddy, GM will only have the Camaro, maybe the G8, and the smaller Kappa platform to satiate our taste for rear drive. Hopefully, and I mean hopefully, that 1 Series small rear driver (Alpha) hasn't been put on the backburner, because I think if marketed right, it could be badged as a Saturn, Pontiac or Buick and sold as a really cool American alternative to say, a the aforementioned 1 Series, or the G35.

In the meantime, I think we can all hope that GM can get it's proverbial sh*t together and come out with a really awesome new Cobalt and get the Volt launched with unbridled success post haste - because right now the focus is on fuel economy and price.

Edited by gmcbob

I also think an Alpha based sedan could be sold as a Nova in the States - complete with the Turbo 4 that's in the Cobalt SS. But I think we have a better chance of seeing a human being launch a golf ball on Mars than we do that. :lol:

Well, that's what we've all read about Hamtramck but maybe it's another GM mistake??? Theoretically, since the Zafira is a Delta-based vehicle it should be built on the same line as the Cobalt. Pick one: Lordstown, Hamtramck or GM-DAT -- not all three. The Volt will be practically handbuilt -- if it ever goes into production. It should also be built at the chosen Delta plant.

> Detroit-Hamtramck (Let's See- Volt, Zafira, etc...) Closure Not Going to Happen

> Doraville (minivans) Already Closed

> Lordstown (build the Deltas in Korea) Not Going to Happen.

Edited by buyacargetacheck

This is a smart move. And it'll give the new LaCrosse, which will be better than the current vehicle and roomy-enough, some breathing space in Buick showrooms too.

The "full-size" sedan market is a loser from a business standpoint too. Not just because of CAFE either. It's been shrinking for years, and going to continue to contract as buyers look to smaller cars.

GM needs to plot all its vehicles on a graph. 2 axes: sales potential on one and profit margin on the other. Full-sized sedans end up in the worst quadrant: low profit because of high incentives and low sales potential because of shrinking market. GM ran its factories in the 1st quarter of 2008 at 76% of capacity. Factor in another 10% too high of reliance on fleet sales and you've got about 7 or 8 assembly plants they need to close to get close to 100% plant capacity (the holy grail of profitability). My vote starting with full-sized sedans would be:

> Detroit-Hamtramck

> Doraville (minivans)

> Moraine (mid-sized BOF SUVs)

> Wilmington (find a way to build the Solstice and Sky at Bowling Green)

> Orion (G6 is quickly becoming a fleet queen - get rid of her and let the new LaX shine at PBG dealers)

> Lordstown (build the Deltas in Korea)

> your choice of 2 full-sized P/U and SUV plants (the demand is not coming back ever)

Detroit-Hamtramck : Chevrolet Volt , and Global Daewoo/Chevrolet MPV , and Epsilon II Chevrolet Malibu.

Orion: Epsilon II Chevrolet Malibu , Epsilon II Pontiac G6(rebadge of Epsilon II Chevrolet Malibu).

Lordstown:Gamma II(Next Aveo and Corsa. ) Gamma II Crossovers(both Chevrolet and Opel/Vauxhall/Saturn ).

I apologize if I offended anyone on the East Coast with the stream of profanities that just left my mouth.

Well... whatever comes, it better be good, and it better be fast. I think they'll have no choice but to give a heavy MCE for the Lucerne since it's going to be around a bit longer (unless GM has something else up their sleeves for Buick--which I'm doubting).

It should not have to be so difficult to be a GM enthusiast. The more news like I this I hear day by day, the more I defect to another automaker. I am still keeping my ear to the ground for GM, but more and more I find myself tuning in elsewhere.

New can of worms to be opened: what does this mean for "Omega," the rear-drive platform which was slated to replace Zeta and Sigma?

While Ford has promised us up to five new rear-drive vehicles and shows no sign of deviating from its future plans, GM can't seem to get it's $h! together.

It should not have to be so difficult to be a GM enthusiast. The more news like I this I hear day by day, the more I defect to another automaker. I am still keeping my ear to the ground for GM, but more and more I find myself tuning in elsewhere.

New can of worms to be opened: what does this mean for "Omega," the rear-drive platform which was slated to replace Zeta and Sigma?

While Ford has promised us up to five new rear-drive vehicles and shows no sign of deviating from its future plans, GM can't seem to get it's $h! together.

Ford plans on doing their 3.5L TT V6... I don't understand why GM wouldn't consider something like this? I mean, what about a DI 3.6L Turbo? Would the economy be so horrendous?

I'm so tired of Cadillac as the favored brand.

+1

Place this twin-turbo 3.6 under the hood of more mainstream GM products and then we will talk. I believe Ford will place their twin-turbo 3.5L in products other than what you will find at Lincoln in the future.

I will take a quick stock here for a moment, if you will.

Ford: Future rear-drive products are on the way without delay, decent spread of the twin-turbo 3.5L in cars beyond Lincoln.

GM: Future rear-drive products in serious question or canceled all together, twin-turbo 3.6L limited to Cadillac.

I am going to have to ask a Ford executive in the future how GM's lunch tastes, it seems.

Edited by YellowJacket894

no excuse why they cant import some chinese park avenues.

i really almost don't care about gm anymore. as many things they get right, they seem to eff up more. they only look at it from a narrow minded fat white middle aged michigan man perspective......maybe it is time to give carl peter the reigns.

really, i don't care. chrysler and ford seem to have rwd plans and make no excuses. gm is pure bull$h! is all.

w bodies for everyone!

Edited by regfootball

Guest aatbloke
Another stab to the heart of my favorite car company. Does no one have the will to save her? :nono:

Except that these days, Buick isn't a company.

Guest aatbloke
I'm so tired of Cadillac as the favored brand.

Cadillac is the marque which GM is trying to push as its Mercedes, Lexus and BMW rivalling Q-car worldwide. It's going to get all the upmarket favouritism.

Cadillac is the marque which GM is trying to push as its Mercedes, Lexus and BMW rivalling Q-car worldwide. It's going to get all the upmarket favouritism.

See, the thing about that is... I don't care.

Time to pay attention to, and finance the development of, the other brands.

Ahh, Vauxhall is a company, even if it's run as divisions of GM Manufacturing and GM Europe. I wouldn't rule out Buick still existing as a company either, but perhaps Hudson knows if it and other entities were actually de-registered, or are just dormant, pieces of paper in a file somewhere.

Normally, this is where you would expect me to say I told you so, but I am not! I only wanted to wish Buick fans my condolences on this loss, you need more product, not less product.

Unless Buick gets a Delta or Alpha product ( both doubtful) or a stretched Epsilon II to replace the Lucerne, it looks like 4 years from now Buick will have 2 vehicles - the Enclave and the LaCrosse. Maybe GM will use Buick to compete with the FWD Lexus (ES and RX with the LaCrosse and Enclave) and use Cadillac to compete with the RWD Lexus, as well as Mercedes and BMW.

Buick needs a largish RWD sedan flagship to justify its premium image both here and in China. Killing this car is a short sighted move that makes no sense.

Seems like the "me too" GM of the 1990s is still alive and well. We all know how well things turned out then. Someone needs to buy this company and save it from itself.

It's all part of GM's master plan to reduce costs by reducing customers. If they don't actually have anyone who wants to buy their product then they don't have to go to expense of actually designing and building things. Their new business model involves producing concepts that tour the autoshow circuit in perpetuity <like the Camaro, Velite, and Beat> without ever actually being produced and charging people to come view the concepts. Sure, market share will take a beating, but look at all the money they'll save after all the plants get closed.

In other words:

Step 1: Cancel all the good vehicles

Step 3: Profit!

Buick needs a largish RWD sedan flagship to justify its premium image both here and in China. Killing this car is a short sighted move that makes no sense.

GM already made a business case for a large RWD car that is not sold in the US, but sold in China as a Buick, in Australia as a couple of Holden models and in the Middle East as a Chevrolet. Maybe that's the way it will remain in the future.

Edited by ZL-1

Looks like GM is being consistent with where they have been over the last decade...no RWD models except for a few from Cadillac and a few other niche models (1998--Corvette, Camaro, Firebird; 2008--Corvette, G8), and a sea of FWD mainstream cars, though the 2008 GM FWDers are certainly nicer than they were 10 years ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Edited by moltar

I am sorely disappointed. :nono:

I am also. Very, very disappointed. I love the Invicta concept, but Buick needs a larger, RWD flagship. I was actually looking forward to possibly purchasing that car. If this news holds true, I'm done with GM; atleast where it counts, by purchasing their vehicles. Nothing against the other brands, but the Lucerne replacement was the car I was hoping to get.

Guest aatbloke
Neither is Vauxhall, but who's counting! :smilewide:

Vauxhall Motors Limited is a private limited company registered in England & Wales with Companies House, and a wholly-owned subsidiary of General Motors. Its share capital consists of both ordinary and preference shares. The Vauxhall brand name and logo are owned by Vauxhall Motors Limited.

Buick is merely a registered brand name owned by General Motors. It is not a separate legal entity in its own right.

There's nothing wrong with Cadillac being the favored brand,

but there's a difference between that and pretty much blatant

euthanasia of Buick by way of product starvation.

This is just getting disgusting, GM is going to under-utilize the

Zeta chassis more than any other platform in their 100+ year

history and once again the damn Japanese will eat their lunch!

Vauxhall Motors Limited is a private limited company registered in England & Wales with Companies House, and a wholly-owned subsidiary of General Motors. Its share capital consists of both ordinary and preference shares. The Vauxhall brand name and logo are owned by Vauxhall Motors Limited.

Buick is merely a registered brand name owned by General Motors. It is not a separate legal entity in its own right.

Where can I buy Vauxhall stock? :rotflmao:

Guest aatbloke
See, the thing about that is... I don't care.

Time to pay attention to, and finance the development of, the other brands.

I understand that but if GM is serious about pushing a credible luxury brand (and the signs are that they have been) that will be a respected marque globally in the same way as BMW is, then they're going to choose Cadillac - especially if they're cautiously picking and choosing investment strategies as a result of the current economic climate.

I do believe that Buick ought to have a rear wheel drive flagship of somesort. Whether or not it's full size is another thing, but should be midsize to larger.

Neither is Vauxhall, but who's counting! :smilewide:

Then so technically Vauxhall should be developing it's own products like Saturn USED to even though it took GM money to found Saturn Corporation and not pestering GM for resources?

GM's home page lists Vauxhall as merely a brand JUST LIKE Buick. GM purchased Vauxhall way back when around 1925.

Vauxhall is no more special than SAAB as far as being it's "own company"

Vauxhall doesn't even have any unique products of it's own. Not since around the 1970's. They're either German GM developed rebadged imported Opels or rebadged imported Australian GM Holdens. Now Saturns are rebadged imported German GM Opels and restyled/rebadged North American GM products.

yay for Kool Aid

Guest aatbloke
I do believe that Buick ought to have a rear wheel drive flagship of somesort. Whether or not it's full size is another thing, but should be midsize to larger.

Then so technically Vauxhall should be developing it's own products like Saturn USED to even though it took GM money to found Saturn Corporation and not pestering GM for resources?

GM's home page lists Vauxhall as merely a brand JUST LIKE Buick. GM purchased Vauxhall way back when around 1925.

Vauxhall is no more special than SAAB as far as being it's "own company"

Vauxhall doesn't even have any unique products of it's own. Not since around the 1970's. They're either German GM developed rebadged imported Opels or rebadged imported Australian GM Holdens. Now Saturns are rebadged imported German GM Opels and restyled/rebadged North American GM products.

yay for Kool Aid

GM's sales homepage isn't going to detail technical company information to the general public; there's no legal requirement to because Vauxhall is a private subsidiary company. Likewise, no product line - whether unique or not - has any bearing on a company's legal status. If you're not going to take my word for it - and Vauxhall have been a past audit client I've worked on - then simply look at the Companies House website, which clearly lists Vauxhall Motors Limited as well as its own subsidiaries, Vauxhall Motors Finance Limited and GMM Luton Limited.

Vauxhall Motors Ltd - I'll reiterate - is a private limited company, registered in England & Wales, with its own share capital. It has its own board of directors, the MD of which (equivalent to a US CEO) is Bill Parfitt. It has been a wholly-owned private subsidiary company of GM since 1926, just as Adam Opel GmbH has since 1929. Both were outright purchases; neither were dissolved or merged with other corporations.

I am not saying Vauxhall is "special." What I am saying that like Saab and Opel, it is a wholly-owned private subsidiary company. That means it has to comply with Companies Acts, it has legal obligations to its employees, it requires an annual audit, and it is required to disclose its accounting affairs on an annual basis for corporation tax purposes. It is not a public company (unlike its parent) so it does not have to publicly disclose its financial statements.

Buick however was dissolved as a company during a series of mergers into what today has become General Motors. These days the Buick name and logo exist only as a copywritten marque. The dissolution of the former Chrysler Corp and Daimler-Benz in the 1990's was a very similar situation, with the old companies' shares dissolved and exchanged for new shares in a single newly formed company, although that company itself has since been dissolved.

As far as Vauxhall's products are concerned, it offers a rebadged imported Holden and the rest of the car product line is developed by GM Europe, primarily at Opel. Both Vauxhall and Opel build cars with Vauxhall, Opel, Chevrolet and Holden monikers for various markets across the UK and continental Europe. In addition, Vauxhall's subsidiary GMM Luton (formerly Bedford) handles the light commercial line, building two van models for Vauxhall and Opel as part of a joint venture with Renault.

MyerShift, it's important you have a thorough understanding and knowledge of company formations and company law before getting into these kinds of discussions. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the product itself. Vauxhall could make Toyota-developed widgets and the situation would be no different.

Edited by aatbloke

Wouldn't Buick be down to 2 vehicles in 2 years since the Lucerne and DTS go out of production in 2010?

Unless we have a major worldwide recession gasoline prices will continue to climb. We're looking at prices approaching $5/gallon in that same 2 years. Can anyone envision non-luxury brands like Pontiac and Buick thriving with gas prices that high? A 2-vehicle lineup may be the least of Buick's troubles.

Unless Buick gets a Delta or Alpha product ( both doubtful) or a stretched Epsilon II to replace the Lucerne, it looks like 4 years from now Buick will have 2 vehicles - the Enclave and the LaCrosse. Maybe GM will use Buick to compete with the FWD Lexus (ES and RX with the LaCrosse and Enclave) and use Cadillac to compete with the RWD Lexus, as well as Mercedes and BMW.

I only wanted to wish Buick fans my condolences on this loss, you need more product, not less product.

So tell us... oh, great swami... is there more product coming for Buick, even if it isn't a large RWD sedan (since the market has, in general, moved away from such vehicles)? Buicks can come in all sizes, body styles, and drivetrains - if GM is interested. <_< Or are they too busy creating the GM Europe "Driving Conversations" Blog?

This whole "Buick must have a rear-wheel drive flagship" is a total crock. Those of you spouting this garbage are either very young or have a bad/selective memory. Buick for years had as its flagship a car called the Riviera. Remember that car? Specifically the FWD version that came out in 1979 and was one of the best-selling Rivs of all time? Remember, this was before Lexus -- a time when Buick was considered THE near-luxury car preferred by doctors, business owners, and country clubbers.

Even after Lexus came on the scene the FWD H-Body LeSabre became a legend in itself. It sold so well it was almost its own franchise. Aside from the me-too styling of its C-Body counterparts the 1985 FWD Electra was well-received and unique in many ways. The 1991 Park Avenue was truly a sales winner and a step up in styling for Buick as well.

For Buick customers, FWD was embraced and judged superior long ago.

Normally, this is where you would expect me to say I told you so, but I am not! I only wanted to wish Buick fans my condolences on this loss, you need more product, not less product.

A shrill scream through the piercing silence -- guess that means PCS is back! :smilewide:

This whole "Buick must have a rear-wheel drive flagship" is a total crock. Those of you spouting this garbage are either very young or have a bad/selective memory. Buick for years had as its flagship a car called the Riviera. Remember that car? Specifically the FWD version that came out in 1979 and was one of the best-selling Rivs of all time? Remember, this was before Lexus -- a time when Buick was considered THE near-luxury car preferred by doctors, business owners, and country clubbers.

Even after Lexus came on the scene the FWD H-Body LeSabre became a legend in itself. It sold so well it was almost its own franchise. Aside from the me-too styling of its C-Body counterparts the 1985 FWD Electra was well-received and unique in many ways. The 1991 Park Avenue was truly a sales winner and a step up in styling for Buick as well.

For Buick customers, FWD was embraced and judged superior long ago.

Who has more respect as a Tier-1 luxury brand? Lexus, with it's FWD/RWD product mix, or Acura, with an all-FWD lineup? Also, pre-2003, Cadillac was considered a joke by most shopping for a status/luxury car. Yeah, I know the Catera was RWD, but it had problems that the drivetrain layout couldn't hide.

Sorry, but these days if you want to be taken seriously in terms of performance, status, or luxury, you need RWD. Keeping Buick all FWD stifles its march toward acceptance as a premium nameplate.

BTW, I turn 30 in July, so there goes your stereotype.