mustang84

350 hp Taurus ST/SHO on its way

29 posts in this topic

From Leftlane:

For the last few weeks, the internet has been abuzz with rumors about the possible return of a performance-oriented Ford Taurus for the 2010 model year, when the large sedan will receive a major redesign. So, is a hotter version of the 2010 Taurus really coming?

SHO enough.

First things first. You may not actually see the return of the "SHO" nameplate. Sources indicate to us that Ford may very well take a cue from across the pond and adorn the sedan with an "ST" badge.

The regular 2010 Taurus that Alan Mulally said they "should have made originally," is confirmed to debut at NAIAS 2009 and on sale a few months later. We feel pretty confident that the ST model will also debut in Detroit. However with NAIAS more than half a year away, things could certainly change. We wouldn't be shocked to see the ST model held over to debut at the 2009 Chicago Auto Show.

More: http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-taurus-st.html

I think the ST moniker makes the best sense since Ford is working to unify its house, so to speak.

Now where is our all-wheel drive and twin-turbocharged 3.6L V6-equipped Chevrolet Malibu SS? :scratchchin:

Malibu sales will take a hit but if it as good as they say it is I just might have to be happy for Ford.

Ford should seriously consider offering their new 2.5L/six-speed on the Taurus, iMO. The current V6 Taurus weighs, what, 3600 lbs? Reinvent the bench seat (i.e., offer a shoulder belt), and you'll have a fuel-efficient full-sized six-passenger crossover sedan...

NO BENCH SEAT PLEASE. LEAVE THOSE RELICS TO GM.

08 taurus FWD is about 3800 lbs. AWD maybe 3950. The ecoboost 4 as a base engine is a nice idea, but the v6 ford family gets good FE as it is without straining much.

with a 350hp ecoboost and powershift, it makes you question why a 275hp northstar lucerne is even relevant. A Taurus ST AWD if priced right would be a serious sleeper car, assuming its not a 2 bagger at closing time looks wise.

I have serious doubts as to why Ford would even consider a global RWD platform at that point for its cars although they may have enough of a case to do so from cops, cabbies, MKR, and next gen mustang drivers to justify wasting the expense.

Wow! If it looks as good as that rendering with its "Kinetic" design, great interior(?), and powertrains this will be amazing!

NO BENCH SEAT PLEASE. LEAVE THOSE RELICS TO GM.

bench seats are great on dates. It's all execution. I don't think you necessarily *need* a console splitting th efront seats to look or feel luxurious or sporty. Besides, that's a big damn car, why not take advantage of it? Not to mention it's not like Americans will ever buy their bread and butter cars with sticks, especially big ones. The people have pretty much spoken on this one. And clutchless shifting has advanced enough too....

08 taurus FWD is about 3800 lbs. AWD maybe 3950. The ecoboost 4 as a base engine is a nice idea, but the v6 ford family gets good FE as it is without straining much.
A NA four is aridiculous idea in a big car. That thing would have to make BIG torque to ever work.

with a 350hp ecoboost and powershift, it makes you question why a 275hp northstar lucerne is even relevant. A Taurus ST AWD if priced right would be a serious sleeper car, assuming its not a 2 bagger at closing time looks wise.

I have serious doubts as to why Ford would even consider a global RWD platform at that point for its cars although they may have enough of a case to do so from cops, cabbies, MKR, and next gen mustang drivers to justify wasting the expense.

Well, it would be nice to unify the full-size platform around the world (see Falcon) and save some bucks. They could always slide it to Mazda and compete in the JDM, as well as maybe allow Volvo to go back to rear-drive for their standard.

A NA four is aridiculous idea in a big car. That thing would have to make BIG torque to ever work.

Ecoboost isn't naturally aspirated, it's Turboed.

Just as an example from across town, the Ecotec Turbo has more torque than the Taurus V6.

Just as an example from across town, the Ecotec Turbo has more torque than the Taurus V6.

I would certainly hope both cases are true.

Would be nice to see more turbocharged volume cars again.

I think the ST moniker makes the best sense since Ford is working to unify its house, so to speak.

Now where is our all-wheel drive and twin-turbocharged 3.6L V6-equipped Chevrolet Malibu SS? :scratchchin:

Ya...I hope that we will eventually see some hot hatches here like the European Fiesta ST and Focus ST (no lame trunked models, please).

I can't see why we couldn't have sedan and hatchback ST models...more choices. Plus it's not like the cars have different suspensions and engines...just different butts.

I can't see why we couldn't have sedan and hatchback ST models...more choices. Plus it's not like the cars have different suspensions and engines...just different butts.

Yeah, as long as they do offer hatchbacks. Trunks are so useless in subcompact/compact models.

Yeah, as long as they do offer hatchbacks. Trunks are so useless in subcompact/compact models.

I do agree, but if they have folding seats it's not so bad, besides depending on he look I prefer the sedan to the hatch (Mazda3) or teh hatch to the sedan (Euro Focus).

Ford is getting NO Ford has its act together and on the way back for sure.

The products they will have will be superior and have no product overlap unlike GM has and will continue to do untill some heads are chopped off at the top.

Wow... grampa will really feel those extra ponies through his depends!

as long as you are on the boost, and can deal with the turbo lag, of which there still is in that motor.

I think its admirable that Ford is trying to balance fuel efficiency and performance in the upcoming 2010 Taurus by installing an EcoBoost 4 cylinder engine. It's out-of-the-box thinking like this that might save larger vehicles from becoming totally extinct in the future. I hope their efforts are successful.

I think its admirable that Ford is trying to balance fuel efficiency and performance in the upcoming 2010 Taurus by installing an EcoBoost 4 cylinder engine. It's out-of-the-box thinking like this that might save larger vehicles from becoming totally extinct in the future. I hope their efforts are successful.

It's a turbo V6, not a 4 cylinder. The car is huge. A 4 cylinder would not work all that well.

It's a turbo V6, not a 4 cylinder. The car is huge. A 4 cylinder would not work all that well.

Oops! I thought I had read somewhere that the base model was going to be equipped with an EcoBoost 4 cylinder (I could have sworn it was a 2.5), but I did some research and all I could find now was that the current normally aspirated 3.5 V6 would be the base engine. My bad! I'm not quite sure why I thought a 2.5 4-cylinder EcoBoost would be the base engine.

The EcoBoost V6 in the ST trim level will make this one hot car though. Ford really seems to be getting their act together in quick order.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead