Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

...A VW.

veedubjetta13.jpg

It's a 1998 Jetta GT. It has a 2.0l 4cyl, automatic, moonroof, alarm, air conditioning, and only 68k miles. It's not perfect, there are some flaws, but it's mechanically sound. I was cautious about buying a VW, but I didn't buy it blind. I looked into its reliability ratings and common issues, got a carfax report and had it checked out by a mechanic before I bought it. It runs very well and is rather peppy for only having 116 hp. Rides nicely, too. It has alot of quicks I'm not used to, though. The seats recline using a twist knob, the single door lock button is on the center stack, the wiper stalk functions oppositely of how I would expect, the headlight knob lacks a parking light function, the trunk lock is tricky to work, and the mirror adjusters are interesting. I love it! Haha... It may not be very exciting or something to be enthusiastic about, but I'm really excited about this car. It's intriguing and ought to be good little car for me. Certainly as far as fuel efficiency goes. I've put 350 miles on it already and I've only put $30 worth of gas in it. I'm looking forward to modifying it, as well. I'm sure the term "rice" is popping into your head right now and your thinking "It's just a Jetta, why bother?" and whatnot. I think it has potential to be a cool little car with minor adjustments. I'm excited, either way. Anyways... Time for some pictures.

At the dealership:

DSCN4074.jpg

DSCN4075.jpg

DSCN4076.jpg

The first night home after washing it:

veedubjettayoho2.jpg

veedubjettayoho3.jpg

veedubjettayoho4.jpg

veedubjettayoho6.jpg

veedubjettayoho5.jpg

veedubjettayoho1.jpg

veedubjettayoho8.jpg

veedubjettayoho11.jpg

Edited by blackviper8891

Thanks, guys. A set of wheels are definitely on the agenda. If not aftermarket, a set of factory Alloys atleast.

Also, I forgot one picture. It's of the fabulous seats. It's no wonder Jettas are known for being homo-mongers. :P

veedubjettayoho9.jpg

Edited by blackviper8891

An automagic Jetta?! LAME! May the car gods have mercy on your soul for buying that thing given your previous automotive luck. I'd get used to seeing this if I were you:

checkenginelight.jpg

Remember: It's a Way of Life. :AH-HA_wink:

But Volkswagen gremlins aside (and there are many), I will definitely give you a thumbs up for its condition because that's honest to God one of the cleanest Jettas I've ever seen. Ever. Inside and out. Can't remember the last time I saw one of that vintage around that you couldn't stick a few fingers through the quarter panels or filled to the door handles with clothes and shoes and garbage of some spaceshot daddy's girl. I wish you the best of luck with her, dude. Keep oil in it and be gentle to it and hopefully you'll get some good years of faithful service out of it while you save up some cash to get something cooler. We all want to see you in a 300ZX or something you feel is of equal coolness in the not too distant future; you seem to be getting your $h! in one sock and deserve a fine set of wheels to show for it.

And don't be a loser. Keep the Cutlass as a backup car. Maybe you won't hate it as much now that it's not required of daily service anymore. There's nothing wrong with having a beater, especially when it's a G-body beater!

An automagic Jetta?! LAME! May the car gods have mercy on your soul for buying that thing given your previous automotive luck. I'd get used to seeing this if I were you:

Remember: It's a Way of Life. :AH-HA_wink:

But Volkswagen gremlins aside (and there are many), I will definitely give you a thumbs up for its condition because that's honest to God one of the cleanest Jettas I've ever seen. Ever. Inside and out. Can't remember the last time I saw one of that vintage around that you couldn't stick a few fingers through the quarter panels or filled to the door handles with clothes and shoes and garbage of some spaceshot daddy's girl. I wish you the best of luck with her, dude. Keep oil in it and be gentle to it and hopefully you'll get some good years of faithful service out of it while you save up some cash to get something cooler. We all want to see you in a 300ZX or something you feel is of equal coolness in the not too distant future; you seem to be getting your $h! in one sock and deserve a fine set of wheels to show for it.

And don't be a loser. Keep the Cutlass as a backup car. Maybe you won't hate it as much now that it's not required of daily service anymore. There's nothing wrong with having a beater, especially when it's a G-body beater!

Haha... Well, every other car I've owned had the check engine light on for most of the time I driven them, Cutlass included, so it wouldn't be anything new to me. :P

As well, the Cutlass is going back to my parents. It was part of the deal with my Mom helping me buy it. I have no say in what happens with it now.

Thanks, though. Appreciate it.

So, tell us about the door chime: doo Doo DOO doo Doo DOO doo Doo DOO :AH-HA_wink:

You know I do not have a bad thing to say about this one. VWs tend to get under your skin in a way other cars can't. I love how they feel to drive. Best of luck with this one, sir!:)

Nice ride, BV. Take good care of it and keep up with the maintenance, and it'll reward you with many fun miles. My friend bought one of these new in 1998, only with a stick. Its peppiness betrayed its 116hp rating, and the shifter felt oh-so-slick.

As far as mods go, I agree with the consensus - throw on a set of nice wheels and call it a day.

So, tell us about the door chime: doo Doo DOO doo Doo DOO doo Doo DOO

You know I do not have a bad thing to say about this one. VWs tend to get under your skin in a way other cars can't. I love how they feel to drive. Best of luck with this one, sir!

Yes, that's another one of those quirks I love, haha. :P Thanks.

Nice ride, BV. Take good care of it and keep up with the maintenance, and it'll reward you with many fun miles. My friend bought one of these new in 1998, only with a stick. Its peppiness betrayed its 116hp rating, and the shifter felt oh-so-slick.

As far as mods go, I agree with the consensus - throw on a set of nice wheels and call it a day.

Yes, I would have greatly preferred a stick, but I couldn't pass this one up just because of the transmission. The auto works a bit differently than I'm used to. It holds onto gears much longer than most autos I've driven. It's great for hills, but I'm sure it's affecting gas mileage a bit.

Per mods, I'd like to do a bit more than just wheels. Nothing ricey, but some minor details. I've been on Ebay a dozen times already making a list of what all I want. The biggest things are head and taillights. Otherwise it's badges, keys, interior pieces, etc.

A few things I've picked:

These or the chrome version of these.

Definitely these.

Maybe these.

I like these as well.

Perhaps one of these.

The list goes on, I'll probably get one or two at the most, which is all I can probably afford anyways. :P

Edited by blackviper8891

Yes, that's another one of those quirks I love, haha. :P Thanks.

Yes, I would have greatly preferred a stick, but I couldn't pass this one up just because of the transmission. The auto works a bit differently than I'm used to. It holds onto gears much longer than most autos I've driven. It's great for hills, but I'm sure it's affecting gas mileage a bit.

Per mods, I'd like to do a bit more than just wheels. Nothing ricey, but some minor details. I've been on Ebay a dozen times already making a list of what all I want. The biggest things are head and taillights. Otherwise it's badges, keys, interior pieces, etc.

A few things I've picked:

These or the chrome version of these.

Definitely these.

Maybe these.

I like these as well.

Perhaps one of these.

The list goes on, I'll probably get one or two at the most, which is all I can probably afford anyways. :P

Those are all great and tasteful mods, and since your stock headlights are amazingly in good shape still you can sell them to help make up the difference.

I'm reluctant to bring this up, but whenever I see this generation of Jetta, I think of this:

homedepot1.jpg

I had a friend who had one back in the day. Absolutely loved it. I think you got a great deal, automatic notwithstanding.

So, tell us about the door chime: doo Doo DOO doo Doo DOO doo Doo DOO :AH-HA_wink:

You know I do not have a bad thing to say about this one. VWs tend to get under your skin in a way other cars can't. I love how they feel to drive. Best of luck with this one, sir!:)

Was that the Jetta you hit? :AH-HA_wink:

I'm reluctant to bring this up, but whenever I see this generation of Jetta, I think of this:

homedepot1.jpg

I had a friend who had one back in the day. Absolutely loved it. I think you got a great deal, automatic notwithstanding.

Honestly, how stupid to do you have to be? Instead of ruining your car, go plop down the 20 bucks for a truck rental.

• 2 weeks later...

After two weeks of ownership, I'm still pretty excited about it.

I've put over 1200 miles on it so far. I've been averaging about 28 mpg, a vast improvement over 8 mpg. I think I'll be able to easily break 30 on the highway. This has all been spirited back road and city driving with lots of idling and A/C use. I'm pretty happy about that.

I also got the radio working and the sound system isn't as good as I hoped it would be with one speaker being blown. I thought about just buying the missing CD changer, but I figure I'll just go for an entire system replacement. I can easily match the factory back lighting with my Clarion's color changing abilities, which is good. I hate mismatched back lighting.

Anyways, so far, so good. The only issue I've really found otherwise is that the gas gauge is a little weird. It works, but sometimes it does its own thing above half a tank. It's been perfect besides that. I'm really loving this little car. The Jetta is pretty awesome. :P

I'm glad you're liking it, Vipes. Once again, they are different and fun, synergistic I think that's the word I want. Just comfortable to drive, everything just dynamically fits, it's hard to splain.

I have a number of friends that had Jettas of that generation, and overall, they liked them...though some had a few electrical gremlins to deal with the usual peeling off of the side door trim.