Blake Noble

Revealed! 2009 Ford Ka

25 posts in this topic

Revealed! 2009 Ford Ka
What looks to be another small-car smash hit for Ford.
ka-reveal-s.jpg
Link to original Article @ Autoblog

The Ford Ka has been a prime example that the Blue Oval can be successful at making little cars, even if they kind of look like basketball shoes. After 12 years of service, it's time to shake things up a bit. The next Ka shares mechanicals with the stylish Fiat 500, and after scoping the first unofficial pics from Auto Express, the Ford will be just as cute as its Italian sibling. Designers did manage to heavily differentiate the Ka from the 500, skipping the rounded lines in favor of edgier lines and details that reinforce Ford of Europe's styling language. Think micro-Fiesta, and you've got the picture.

Since it's for European consumption, it'll have no less than three powertrains from the get-go, with a 68 hp 1.2L, a 100 hp 1.4L, and a 1.3L, 50 mpg diesel. Rumor has it that a hotter Ka ST is on its way as well, with 150 hp coming from a turbocharged 1.4L engine. Interior refinement over the outgoing model comes courtesy of better materials and improved ergonomics.

We're still a few months away from the Ka's official unveiling at the Paris Auto Show in September, but we like what we see so far. Besides, if it's good enough for Bond, it'll be good enough for us. The Ka will be produced in Poland and it'll go on sale in Europe by the end of the year.

More Photos:
ka-reveal2.jpg
ka-reveal3.jpg

why cant just Ford do the same thing GM is doing with Saturn, and start selling european cars in the US, there way better looking cars why dont just replace the fusion with the european Mondeo, the Escape with the Fuga, or the butt ugly focus with the Fiesta, I mean there sold in south America why dont just sell them here too

The fascia is a little Peugeot, don't you think?

yeah its kind of has a little resemblance to a peugeot, but the Ka is actually following Fords European Kinetic desing, i really like the lower grille.

The Fiesta is due to come to the U.S. in sedan, 3-door, and 5-door hatch form. There will be a grille insert change to bring it in line with the new Taurus (three vertical slats, not bars), similar to what GM does for all Opels converted into Saturns (change the grille for the two different markets).

But that Fusion MCE, even in mock-up form, looks atrocious. Give me the Mondeo, please.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Maybe my memory is faulty, but it reminds me of a new Corsa from the rear, especially the angle of the quarter glass. Everybody's using those big headlights, too. This is the new generic look, I suppose. The Fiat 500 is a much more distinctive, good looking little car. The Ka isn't bad looking, just not overly distinctive.

Side profile shot:

57642933_5c9fcdfcda.jpg

Here is the Corsa for comparison, by the way:

15114_report_w486.jpg

The Corsa's profile might be similar but it's a larger, B-segment car. The Ka sits in the A-segment with the Vauxhall/Opel Agila.

I hope Ford kept their advantage in driving dynamics.

I think it's cool, but I'm not sure the U.S. is ready to downsize quite this far yet. I think they should watch how the Fiesta performs in the U.S. market and the future direction of U.S. market conditions before they bring something smaller than the subcompact class over here. It is going to be severe culture shock for many Americans to downsize into compact and subcompact vehicles; something this small might really freak them out.

Ford might do well to roll this car out in high population urban areas first (New York, Chicago, Los Angeles), just to see how well it sells. If it does well in that environment, then they could slowly open up the availability of this car across the country.

The current Ka, while not exactly butch, is a lot cooler with its pure, chic lines and unique design cues. The new version should have built on the original's iconic shape and image; instead, this just looks like a nine-tenths scale Fiesta.

car_photo_233619_7.jpg

The current Ka, while not exactly butch, is a lot cooler with its pure, chic lines and unique design cues. The new version should have built on the original's iconic shape and image; instead, this just looks like a nine-tenths scale Fiesta.

car_photo_233619_7.jpg

:yes:

I see these things all over the place in Brazil and I gotta say, they are cute. The 'new' styling is a little too derivative for my eyes.

I see these things all over the place in Brazil and I gotta say, they are cute. The 'new' styling is a little too derivative for my eyes.

Yeah, it's cute. But as far as i remember the new Brazilian Ka is a refresh on the current car's platform. It's the new European Ka that shares a platform with the Fiat 500.

Yeah, it's cute. But as far as i remember the new Brazilian Ka is a refresh on the current car's platform. It's the new European Ka that shares a platform with the Fiat 500.

Correct - the South American Ka was recently significantly revised fore and aft and shod with a new interior, but it remains essentially the same as the 1996 Ka, which itself sits on the same platform as the old 1989 BE13 Fiesta. The European Ka for 2009 though is all new, using the same platform as the Fiat 500 and Panda.

Ford could use a product like this. Steal sales away from the Yaris. :AH-HA_wink:

So, the Ford Ka... ummm, was it named by someone from Boston?

Attractive, but not nearly as distinctive as the old Ka.

As long as those unique Euro Ford dynamics are in check and thoroughly present, then it ought to succeed.

I suppose I would drive a car this small.

Ford could use a product like this. Steal sales away from the Yaris. :AH-HA_wink:

The Geo Metro should be able to steal sales away from the Yaris!

I'd love a Ka. Or a Fiat 500. Or a Mini. Actually, I want one of each.

500 or Mini for me... new Ka too generic, imo. Old Ka better, yes. I could pahk two new Kas in my garage.

I could pahk two new Kas in my garage.

:scratchchin: wouldn't that mean you'd have Ford KaKa in your garage?

KaKa? Ja.

*womp womp* @ the Boston accent references...

But this would make a nice alternative to the Smart out here.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor