Niteriyder

Cadillac #1 luxury maker in U.S.

29 posts in this topic

Is it possible? I think this would be an awesome moral boost for the rest of GM if Cadillac could surpass Lexus for the number one spot?

Considering they are high up there with many holes in their line up still to be filled I would say it's possible.

Keep in mind the competion isn't offering diddley that even compares. Heck, even the all-mighty Lincoln is looking like a bad joke.

[post="34097"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Lincoln's been a bad joke since the LS debuted. They have nothing appealing.

Cadillac is the best selling luxury line. The catch, the others off cheap crap that allow them to be bigger total number sellers, but they are not #1 in "luxury" car sales.

Cadillac is the best selling luxury line.  The catch, the others off cheap crap that allow them to be bigger total number sellers, but they are not #1 in "luxury" car sales.

[post="34144"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well it would be even better if Cadillac outsold them in total sales, even without offering cheap crap. They just need a sub-SRX, a CTS coupe, and the ULS, and I think they could take #1.

Cadillac is the best selling luxury line.  The catch, the others off cheap crap that allow them to be bigger total number sellers, but they are not #1 in "luxury" car sales.

What "cheap crap" does Lexus sell?

[post="34147"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They dont really sell any cheap crap, but the only reason they are #1 is the RX. Thats why Cadillac needs a sub-SRX.

I agree. WTF is the ES? It's a damn Camry.... if Cadillac had a rebadged Malibu or Impala for a base fwd model it would have ###### Jokes associated with it every time the press even looked in its direction but since it's Lexus it get praised and admired. <_<

##### = Cimarr0n.... :rolleyes: Edited by Sixty8panther

I agree. WTF is the ES? It's a damn Camry.... if Cadillac had a rebadged Malibu or Impala for a base fwd model it would have ###### Jokes associated with it every time the press even looked in its direction but since it's Lexus it get praised and admired.  <_<

##### = Cimarr0n....  :rolleyes:

[post="34162"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Lexus still sells the ES? Shows how much I care about Lexus Edited by CaddyXLR-V

I agree. WTF is the ES? It's a damn Camry.... if Cadillac had a rebadged Malibu or Impala for a base fwd model it would have ###### Jokes associated with it every time the press even looked in its direction but since it's Lexus it get praised and admired.  <_<

##### = Cimarr0n....  :rolleyes:

[post="34162"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They're assembled in different plants, share not one piece of sheetmetal, have different interiors, have different suspension tuning, and more...

That's certainly more than than giving a new front-end to an Avalanche, Suburban, or Tahoe.

They're assembled in different plants, share not one piece of sheetmetal, have different interiors, have different suspension tuning, and more...

[post="34181"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Then why does it look like a Camry?

[post="34147"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Up until recently, the IS.

Then why does it look like a Camry?

[post="34191"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't think it does. They look quite different:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It's not really in the stuff you can see that shows the Camry roots. Its in the stuff you can't see.

The ES isn't nearly as blatant a badge-job now as it was in the 90's.

The ES isn't nearly as blatant a badge-job now as it was in the 90's.

[post="34206"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

True but even the auto rags will admit it's 2" away from a loaded Camry with the cheesy $600 24K gold emblem package.

Why do people on this site make fun of the Catera so much. They're decent cars... it's an Opel not Caddy but even that is still much better than the ES lexus.

Caddy XLR-V: Lexus still sells the ES? Shows how much I care about Lexus

I don't blame you.

BTW for what it's worth the old IS is the closest Lexus got to making me a fan of the division. Still never driven one but I hear it's a decent BMW 3-series alternative.

BTW for what it's worth the old IS is the closest Lexus got to making me a fan of the division. Still never driven one but I hear it's a decent BMW 3-series alternative.

Same here. The original IS is the only Lexus I've ever liked. It looks good... drives really nice. My 3rd or 4th cousin has a black one. She let me drive it once or twice when I didn't have my license yet. :D

The Catera handles excellently. It was a lil short in the engine department, but the interior was exceedingly top notch. I've always felt it was a solid car.

The Catera handles excellently. It was a lil short in the engine department, but the interior was exceedingly top notch. I've always felt it was a solid car.

[post="34265"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed... I like the later-MY ones with the monoblock wheels and updated grille and interior.

'97-99 Cateras blew and the lack of a CD player in many of them only exemplifies how much they blew.

As far as 'cheap crap,' I think people are mostly referring to good-selling entry-level 'luxury' cars, like the 3er, C-Class, and X-Type. While I wouldn't go so far as to call the Bimmer crap, the Mercedes and Jaguar sure fit the bill.

To those who would put the CTS in the 'cheap crap' category, I remind you it doesn't glitch up and fall apart (MB) nor is it based on a Mondeo (Jag).

I don't think you can really blame Cadillac when the CD player was definately an option. Again, the Cateras handled well and were solid cars. Just a little lacking in the engine and overcompensating in weight. The Catera is like a roookie priest. Slightly overwhelmed by mass.

I don't think you can really blame Cadillac when the CD player was definately an option. Again, the Cateras handled well and were solid cars. Just a little lacking in the engine and overcompensating in weight.

The Catera is like a roookie priest. Slightly overwhelmed by mass.

[post="34303"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I do like your analogy. :P

My point was that a CD player in the late 1990s on a luxury sedan that retailed for $30,000 and up being optional was pretty stupid. Such was standard fare in a $28,000 Buick Regal in the same year and was also available in the early 90s in the Allante.

The people who got reliable, working Cateras swear by them, though...I know I kinda want one...the 2000+ styling was crisp, and most of the bugs were gone by that point.

Speaking of sales of expensive vehicles..... I'm sure all of you know this already, but Chevrolet actually sells more vehicles over $30,000 in price than any other brand. Also, the Lexus looks like a dolphin or some sort of marine mammal and thats just stupid.

'97-99 Cateras blew and the lack of a CD player in many of them only exemplifies how much they blew.

As far as 'cheap crap,' I think people are mostly referring to good-selling entry-level 'luxury' cars, like the 3er, C-Class, and X-Type. While I wouldn't go so far as to call the Bimmer crap, the Mercedes and Jaguar sure fit the bill.

To those who would put the CTS in the 'cheap crap' category, I remind you it doesn't glitch up and fall apart (MB) nor is it based on a Mondeo (Jag).

[post="34293"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I love Mercedes, but I can't afford them :(, anyways I've read reviews on the C-Class. There was this one guy who had the motors in his windows and seats fixed on a few occasions, had other "cheap" complaints then he said to top it all off one morning he was going out to his C-Class to go to work and the door handle came off on him. Edited by gm_rocks

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor