Post your dealbreakers

Two door or four door is fine.

Four pieces of side glass, all 100% hidden when rolled down, separated by ZERO b-pillars.

Mercedes can do it at minimal cost... (E-class 4dr post versus CLK 2dr hardtop)

No manual transmission and front-wheel drive are the main deal-breakers for me.

Although I am partial to V6s and mid-sized vehicles and would much rather drive such, I am not totally closed minded to compact-sized vehicles and four-cylinders (I am already making due with those two things right now).

Good design is a must!

Edited by YellowJacket894

Less Than 18MPG City, No Sale.

Daewoo-Developed Product, No Sale. In the future I'll stick with the GME Developed NG Astra over the GMDAT Developed NG Cobalt/Aveo to go with my Impala.

No Automatic, No Sale

Ugly and Or Excessively Complicated Interior, No Sale (ala new Malibu- I'd much rather have an AURA)

No FWD or AWD, No Sale. RWD Will Never Cut it For Me. Please Don't Flame/Hate Me, but I don't like the concept, especially here where there's snow on the ground from October till May. You all have preferences, so do I.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Daewoo-Developed Product, No Sale. In the future I'll stick with the GME Developed NG Astra over the GMDAT Developed NG Cobalt/Aveo to go with my Impala.

No Automatic, No Sale

Ugly and Or Excessively Complicated Interior, No Sale (ala new Malibu- I'd much rather have an AURA)

No FWD or AWD, No Sale. RWD Will Never Cut it For Me. Please Don't Flame/Hate Me, but I don't like the concept, especially here where there's snow on the ground from October till May. You all have preferences, so do I.

Don't Worry Veez, I don't hate ya, I actually agree with you.... :yes:

While I do like RWD, it should be saved for more performanced based cars....

No FWD---I have an SUV for snow, though I'll be replacing it eventually, maybe w/ an AWD car (Audi A4 Quattro would be ideal).

Manual is preferred, esp. in a performance car, but I can live with out it in a daily driver since most of my driving is city/freeway/suburbia. 2dr or 4dr, sunroof preferred, good cupholders, good sound system, CD changer, iPod jack, good interior plastics. Visibility is important, as well as good ergonomics, and good power seats. Good handling and reasonably quiet ride preferred.

One thing that I've realized living in AZ is that leather interiors aren't always better....a light tan cloth interior would be great here...unfortunately, and cloth interiors are pretty much impossible to find in my price bracket ($30-40k).

Edited by moltar

No Automatic, No Sale

Quick question: how is the Malibu's interior ugly or complex? Styling is subjective., so I can give you that, although I personally dislike the Aura's interior for several aesthetic reasons, but as far as complex goes the major controls, if not all of the controls, are shared.

As for dealbreakers...

If it's a performance car, manual must be an option. I may or may not get it as a manual of say I have one as a manual already.

It must be fun to drive if it's a car, but I don't expect a minivan to handle like a BMW for example.

It must have a nice interior.

It must have modern conveniences if it's new. The Nav is a little iffy, as I prefer it, but I could make an exception for a car I really like (G8, Camaro). I like technology so there. :P

No Cancerous headlights or tail lights, the Solstice being the only possible exception, but I like the sky better anyway.

Edited by Dodgefan

Have to agree with Dodgefan here, and not just because we own one. The Aura is okay but just doesn't have near the cohesiveness and is still riddled with more cheap bits and pieces than the Chevy. Not bad, but eh, inside.

Otherwise, for me with a new car...good question. I'm thinking new car right now and am still baffled by what is is I want, don't want, must have, or refuse to have. Hmm. I think 1) terrible cheap blues (think Chrysler's current medium blue...eck), 2) a flimsy, looser, or just not tight/solid feel on the road, 3) bad gas mileage...wow, I guess lots of things.

No FWD, under any circumstances, ever.

Agreed.

I personally think 4x4s are for pu$$ies.

My short list of winter beaters:

RWD 1983 Pontiac Firebird t-top, 350-tbi crate motor intended for chevy pickup

RWD 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance

RWD 1987 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0

RWD 1986 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

RWD 1984 Datsun Maxima I6/5-speed

RWD 1982 Mercede Benz 240D

RWD 1992 Buick Roadmaster sedan

I personally think 4x4s are for pu$$ies.

YES! Big one for me, actually. I despise AWD/4WD, almost to a weird level. Unless I lived on a mountain in the extreme north or had to climb boulders daily...why, in your right mind, would you want to drag around the extra friction of more axles, transfer cases, electronics and more...just so you have that special switch if there's a flurry out?

I know it's also a sporty car thing that gives more traction and can really help with sticking to the road all around...but just too overused, ordered, and depended on as a necessity still.

Have to agree with Dodgefan here, and not just because we own one. The Aura is okay but just doesn't have near the cohesiveness and is still riddled with more cheap bits and pieces than the Chevy. Not bad, but eh, inside.

Otherwise, for me with a new car...good question. I'm thinking new car right now and am still baffled by what is is I want, don't want, must have, or refuse to have. Hmm. I think 1) terrible cheap blues (think Chrysler's current medium blue...eck), 2) a flimsy, looser, or just not tight/solid feel on the road, 3) bad gas mileage...wow, I guess lots of things.

One of the blues I really like lately is Chrysler's Steel Blue Metallic.

1026071606a.jpg

Quick question: how is the Malibu's interior ugly or complex? Styling is subjective., so I can give you that, although I personally dislike the Aura's interior for several aesthetic reasons, but as far as complex goes the major controls, if not all of the controls, are shared.

I would agree 100% that it's all subjective... When I talk about complicated I mean that If GM Makes a car with a center stack and control stack ala the new Accord- I will not buy it. It's too freaking complex, and I want something more straightforward. If they must integrate the controls, I think the Invicta and CTS seem to do a better job of this. The Malibu Interior is, however, wrong in a few fundamental ways by my eyes... It's not hideous, but for the same price, I'd rather have the Aura. Yeah I know it's got more hard plastic than it should but I don't care about it either way- given the Aura has the Metal Finish inserts instead of that gawd awful plood it looks better to my eyes, For comparison's sake:

1321234359_37168dafce_b.jpg

ag_07aura_interior.jpg

As you can see, the Malibu has lots of cutlines in the door panels that make the whole thing look hacked up IMO.

Second, look at the instruments. Those gauges look a bit too 'showy' for my conservative tastes, and with a speedo up to 220, it looks squished in there.

Third, look at that area from the top of the bulge for the instruments down to the bottom of the steering column. Even with two tone-interiored Malibus that area is all one color without any accent strips to jazz it up. The center stack looks stunning, but by moving the wood strip up so high they've killed the aesthetic value of those extreme sides of the dash on both sides. Contrast this with the AURA that has a trim strip that goes through the middle of there, and onto the door, cutting down on the cutlines and making that area less of a no-mans land.

On the exterior they're both really attractive, but the Aura's C-Pillar isn't as Obese as well.

But 'eh... I'm only one man.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Styling, first and foremost. I will not look into, let alone buy a car that I don't like inside and out.

Good handling. I never, ever want to drive something as sloppy and vague as my cousin's 2004 Sienna. So, that means I would prefer RWD, but would look into something FWD if it handled well.

The availability of a 6-cylinder. I don't want a 4 unless gas gets really crazy, and as much as I enjoy V8s, I think one would be too much for my needs. Besides, 6-cylinders sound more interesting, IMO.

Console shift. I hate column shifts.

Creature comforts...leather upholstery, auto climate control, auto-dimming rearview mirror, compass & outside temperature display, trip odometer, Bose or similar sound system, sunroof, reasonably quiet ride, keyless entry, that sort of thing. NAV isnt' necessary. They're cool and all, but I think I'd just save that money for something else.

The option of a manual transmission, or at the very least, an auto with manual shifting.

A nice set of rims.

If it looks great, is soaked in sex-appeal, doesn't look too goofy blasting hair metal, and puts a grin on my face when I take the wheel... then I'll be a happy camper.

I'm not too picky if it's an auto or a stick, or how big the engine is, or what drive the wheels are. Bonus points if it makes eco-nuts cringe though.

Edited by Captainbooyah

I too do not want to deal with RWD in the winter time. FWD or AWD work much better here when it is slipery or snow. I am looking for more fuel economy next time. I guess I will list each of my contenders with its pros and cons.

Chevrolet Impala. My first choice.

Pros

I fit in it well. I dont have to do wierd contortions to get in and out of it. Good fuel mileage with the 3.5. Plus I can use E-85 in it which we do have here.

Cons

Back seat isnt as big as it could be. More expensive than my other choices.

Chevrolet HHR.

Pros

I fit pretty well. Good fuel economy. Rides and drives suprisingly well. Cheaper than the Impala by quite a bit.

Cons.

Tight back seat, Smallish windows,

The new Malibu.

pros

Good fuel economy in the 4-cylinder which is the one I would get. Cant account for driving it since I havent yet.

Cons.

I hit some part of my body every time I get in or out of it. Feels tighter than the Impala.

Chevrolet Aveo.

Pros

Good fuel economy. I fit very well in it for such a small car. Rides well for something so small. Quiet. Dash looks very nice for something so cheap.

Cons.

It moves pretty weill from 0 to about 35, after that like to get it up to 70 you feel like you really have to push it.

My size 13 feet sometimes catch the edge of the pedals ( Sometimes I will catch the edge of the gas pedal when I am braking and vice versa). Not much of an armrest for longer trips. Gets pushed around pretty easily by wind.

I may redo or update this list in a day or 2 but here it is for now.

One of the blues I really like lately is Chrysler's Steel Blue Metallic.

1026071606a.jpg

Yeah, that's one of their better ones. Not a favorite...but NOTHING like this psychedelic cheap toy color:

7315095818.245470045.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.

It just screams cheap and looks so much like a $50 Maaco special, I don't get it. At ALL.

But otherwise, just colors in general are a big issue. There never seems to be enough or at least the right ones.

1. No fake wood, it doesn't fool anyone except maybe the blind old guy looking at the used Century at the back of the used car lot.

2. Cheap interiors, how much would real paint for the G5/Cobalt arm rest (the silver) have added to the cost? Every one I've ever sat in has had the black plastic under the paint showing through the scratches. Toss the hard plastic into the dumpster.

3. Stick shift, why can't I get all G6 models with a stick shift? Why not the G8? Isn't Pontiac all about performance? Wouldn't stick shifts help fuel economy (Cafe ratings)? Wouldn't the Aura really live up to its Sport Sedan image if it offered a nice 6 speed for that 3.6L?

4. Buick line up, When even Mercury has more models then you, there is a problem. Why is there no Park Ave or a nice convertible to be a halo car? What about a stretched Solstice/Sky call it the Wildcat or Skylark. I want a Buick but not a huge 4dr or SUV, give me some choice!!

5. Why does the Aveo not get awesome fuel economy? Why buy that little $h! box when your old Civic is bigger and doesn't cost you any more on gas? The fact the the Aveo is neither great on gas or polished means to most people its invisible.

6. Hubcaps, Dear GM, the 1980's are now 20 years behind us. Please note that no one wants hubcaps, make alloys standard across the board except the least costly (read cheapest) Chevy models (Aveo/Cobalt). F.Y.I offering upgraded plastic hubcaps on the G5 is almost funny. Why are there 2 choices of plastic hubcap on the G5? Isn't one choice ugly enough?

7. Wheres the hood ornament? Mercedes has one, so does the Town Car, Rolls Royce, etc why doesn't Cadillac or Buick have a cool hood ornament? Not the cheap 80's ones that were too small to even notice, but a cool classy one that makes the car instantly recognizable!

I would buy a late model Supra if I could get a deal on one.

Yup... inline sixes + RWD are so cool even I can not totally hate the Supra/GS/IS

Like most Toyotas they sell for 130-250% what they should. :rolleyes:

No stick, no sale.

I think the package size of my BMW 330i is a very good overall compromise. If you can't "fit" an alternative to finding a bigger car might be to join a gym and make yourself smaller :scratchchin:

Exactly. We may be 5% of the car market, but I don't ever want to buy another automatic.

Chris

Yeah, that's one of their better ones. Not a favorite...but NOTHING like this psychedelic cheap toy color:

7315095818.245470045.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.

It just screams cheap and looks so much like a $50 Maaco special, I don't get it. At ALL.

But otherwise, just colors in general are a big issue. There never seems to be enough or at least the right ones.

Agreed on color, and that Sebring looks horrible in that blue...

Chris

If its a Toyota no sale.

If its a Prius no sales.

If its a Camry no sale.

If its a Yaris no sale.

If its a Tundra no sale.

If its a FJ no sale.

If its an Avalon no sale.

Get the picture?

Yes, your new TC Scion is waiting for you at the local dealership. Hillary for President sticker, PETA sticker, and Sierra club membership added at no extra cost.

Happy yet?

Chris

I am with the manual transmission folks.

No fun stick = no sale. Even if it is a V6, it is not difficult to put a V-6 in it, is it Honda/ Mazda?

GM - I have given up on them when it comes to affordable mid-sizer with a good stick. GM mid-sizer = No sale.

in fairness accord and mazda 6 used to have v6 stick as well. camry too for that matter. mazda6 for 09, they got rid of the stick. fools.

If its a Toyota no sale.

If its a Prius no sales.

If its a Camry no sale.

If its a Yaris no sale.

If its a Tundra no sale.

If its a FJ no sale.

If its an Avalon no sale.

Get the picture?

I think the first line covers all the rest :P

As for me, I don't know if there are any real deal breakers other than me not liking the looks or having a poor interior. I think those are the case for just about everyone. I'm not against 4cyls as long as the car is decently quick still nor am I against FWD as long as the car doesn't handle like crap. I'd prefer RWD V8, but I'm not sure how long that will last. I may just keep the GTO forever if I don't get a Camaro/Alpha/CTS.

No sale if:

Top 15 on the sales charts

Lighter green or gold car

Crappy (cheap feeling/hard) leather

Top 15 sales charts is not a bad thing, necessarily. I realize you probably like to have a little exclusivity (the number of other GTOs I've seen on the road randomly, ie not at a meet, is probably under 25), but cars like the Civic, Accord, Malibu, etc., would all be fine automobiles to own and I don't see why you would buy something that wasn't as good unless it simply fits your tastes better.

Forgot one:

Silver = No deal.

Silver is the new white, if you have not noticed.

Well in that case, you should change your sig :P

Top 15 sales charts is not a bad thing, necessarily. I realize you probably like to have a little exclusivity (the number of other GTOs I've seen on the road randomly, ie not at a meet, is probably under 25), but cars like the Civic, Accord, Malibu, etc., would all be fine automobiles to own and I don't see why you would buy something that wasn't as good unless it simply fits your tastes better.

Well in that case, you should change your sig :P

I know, top 15 usually means a good quality vehicle, I just like things a little less mainstream or quirky.. I.E. Passat over other FWD family cars, Astra over other compacts etc. Reliability and upkeep/lack of resale value costs are the risk you take though.

If RWD, have AWD as an option. Not so much for me, but for my wife if she had to drive my car for whatever reason.

Enough space in the rear seat so that someone my height (5'10") wouldn't have to turn sideways.

Nav option available (though I can live without this one like I have for the 9 years I've been driving; I'm pretty sure I'd get my money's worth out of it).

Actually I don't mind the tC that much a buddy has one decent looking Camry. I am sure that will be made ugly at some point or dropped from the line-up. As Toyota does with all cars that look good and are sporty... MR2, Supra Solra, RWD Corolla need I go on? Hillary isn't all bad either but PETA and th Sierra Club are evil. A GMC Sierra on the other hand isn't.

Edited by gm4life

Ahem.

NO FWD.

No damn insulting enthusiasts either:

Toyota Nova/Ch#$r%*et Corolla, 1980s

Celebrity/Lumina/"monte carlo", 1995-2007

Corsica/"malibu", 1997-present

Celebrity/Lumina/"impala", 2000-present

*sighs*

Perhaps I shouldn't have opened this thread...LOL!

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Time starts to pass; before you know it you're frozen" ... Leona Lewis ... 'Keep Bleeding'

Its ok Knightfan. I actually think that if I could latch on to one of the last 2007 MonteCarlos next March when the Equinox gets turned in I might do it. I couldnt be that lucky though. I might just not get anything at all and drive the 2 old ones for the spring/summer/early fall of 2009 and save a little money. Then maybe look for either to lease a new Impala or buy a 2006-2007 if I can. The teo old ones should serve me well for a summer. I will have a little of the winter to finish out with the Bonneville but it wont be much. I would judt make sure I get it cleaned WELL once it was over. Sound like a plan Knightfan?

The only "dealbreaker" for me is that the car must be American made. To ship $30,000 bucks overseas when our own people are hurting is the height of community irresponsibility, as far as my values are concerned.

Other than that, it's all a matter of my current need for the vehicle. My current stable consists of a Jeep, a rear-wheel drive sedan and a FWD subcompact. That covers the gamut, and I have no problem whatsoever with replacing a gashog with another gashog. Gashogs bring both utility and safety to the table. So long as I have a subcompact for grocery getting and commuting, my view of high gas prices is similar to my view of alcoholic beverages now that the authorities take drunk driving seriously. I cannot drink in quantity, so I drink quality - microbrews, single malts. Same with cars and high gas prices. I can't drive as much, but when I do drive, I want the experience to be exhilerating.

Pre-WWII

NO FORDS, unless they're very cheap and unique.

(all original, brass-era Model T: runs, drives $3000 ...maybe, )

(1932 highboy with a SBC and $20,000 worth of go-fast goodies

for $40,000 = even if I had that kind of money, NO WAY)

Post WWII

RWD = an absolute MUST in all but some VERY rare exceptions...

(Razorback? Bustleback? Cheap '68 Toronado?)

B-pillars: BIG turnoff... I'm getting very bored/tired of sedans (2 or 4 dr.)

Body On Frame construction: strongly preferred

V16, V12, V8, I6 or flat 6/4 are the only motors I gravitate to...

Yeah I did :lol: But its cool. Like I said, life has changed since dad died and now I have to look at things differently. Like I say, people think I should only have one of the old ones but like I tell them, you have your things and I have mine.