Who wants to see the 2010 Equinox interior?

The Buick Invicta pic posted today looks okay... but I think PCS is right, quite yucky indeed.

Well, if you consider what we have had to put up with before, you see it with different eyes. :P

chevroletequinox1.jpg

I will say I have realized that I do not like the square housing for the gauges, however.

That interior is from a 2005.

Although the mid-cycle enhancement for the Equinox/Torrent did bring about better materials versus those used in '05, the main details and arrangement of the design went largely unchanged.

And it always looked generic to me. This has a few irks, but it has some personality, in my opinion.

I like it alot. The interior in mine isn't bad at all in my view. After-all I got it. I thought it was worlds better than the Rav-4 I drove. Here is a my 07 Torrent with MCE... I like it including the silver/chrome and ebony color combo. (Mine is a base 1SA keep in mind)

IMGP7908.jpg

IMGP7910.jpg

IMGP7909.jpg

IMGP7940.jpg

IMGP5887.jpg

IMGP5884.jpg

IMGP5885.jpg

IMGP5883.jpg

Honestly ever since the did the MCE (one reason I had to get a 2007 no 2006 Torrent was ever considered after I saw the 2007 that is why I waited so long to get a deal!)

They really aren't a bad interior (well at least for GM).

I like it alot. The interior in mine isn't bad at all in my view. After-all I got it. I thought it was worlds better than the Rav-4 I drove. Here is a my 07 Torrent with MCE... I like it including the silver/chrome and ebony color combo. (Mine is a base 1SA keep in mind)

IMGP7908.jpg

IMGP7910.jpg

IMGP7909.jpg

IMGP7940.jpg

IMGP5887.jpg

IMGP5884.jpg

IMGP5885.jpg

IMGP5883.jpg

Honestly ever since the did the MCE (one reason I had to get a 2007 no 2006 Torrent was ever considered after I saw the 2007 that is why I waited so long to get a deal!)

They really aren't a bad interior (well at least for GM).

Better than the pre MCE but that's not saying much. It doesn't look bad, but it's still ultra-cheap...don't make me bust out the photos from 2 years ago of the A-pillar coming part and the dash warped. :P

We ripped on Chrysler for making their interiors all echo each other, but it appears GM is doing the same. The spyshots aren't exactly bad looking, but they appear to be very similar to the other newest GM products.

We ripped on Chrysler for making their interiors all echo each other, but it appears GM is doing the same. The spyshots aren't exactly bad looking, but they appear to be very similar to the other newest GM products.

At least in GM's case the design is nice, though. Chrysler's are just a bunch of blocks.

My worry is that the Equinox is still too big, and likely heavy. Its competition does not look so elongated in the wheelbase, which does not bode well for fuel economy and drivability. I just hope this one is far more refined than the clunky one we have now. I also hope it has a far more useful trunk, without those huge humps over the wheels.

My worry is that the Equinox is still too big, and likely heavy. Its competition does not look so elongated in the wheelbase, which does not bode well for fuel economy and drivability. I just hope this one is far more refined than the clunky one we have now. I also hope it has a far more useful trunk, without those huge humps over the wheels.

:blink:

Yeah, they could always get rid of the back wheels and just have the rear dragged around by the front wheels. <_<

The rear wheels 'intrude' to make room for the rear seat to slide to and aft, which makes more leg room in the back than a Tahoe - a key selling feature of this platform. I'm 6'2" and the back seat legroom is incredible.

The '05 interior was nasty, to be sure. The changes in '07 were significant, although the base cloth is still fugly. Which ever discount store is selling GM their remnant cloth (ala Cobalt, Equinox and even the base Malibu) needs to be burned down. :angry:

Other than the seats, though, the interior of the current vehicle is pretty clean and the fit is top notch. With a few engine tweaks, this vehicle can be a contender because real world driving mileage is not bad.

Yeah, they could always get rid of the back wheels and just have the rear dragged around by the front wheels. <_<

The rear wheels 'intrude' to make room for the rear seat to slide to and aft, which makes more leg room in the back than a Tahoe - a key selling feature of this platform. I'm 6'2" and the back seat legroom is incredible.

The '05 interior was nasty, to be sure. The changes in '07 were significant, although the base cloth is still fugly. Which ever discount store is selling GM their remnant cloth (ala Cobalt, Equinox and even the base Malibu) needs to be burned down. :angry:

Other than the seats, though, the interior of the current vehicle is pretty clean and the fit is top notch. With a few engine tweaks, this vehicle can be a contender because real world driving mileage is not bad.

I will once again disagree with the fit and finish.

I feel the need (but don't have the time right now) to rant about how you guys are clearly blind if you think the interiors look that similar.

More than a few subtle Camaro concept touches.

Not bad for a modern "transformer puke" 100% plastic interior.

I will once again disagree with the fit and finish.

I feel the need (but don't have the time right now) to rant about how you guys are clearly blind if you think the interiors look that similar.

:fryingpan:

There is a '08 1SD (LTZ to you guys) 'Nox 5 feet from my desk. There is a '08 Mazda CX-7 in behind service. According to GM.com and Mazda.com (I am using American prices so as not to confuse you), the LTZ is $28,745 with the sunroof, leather, Pioneer speakers, etc (I used a 14225 zip code, sorry Buffalo). GM offers a 60 month American payment of $500 a month. Over to the Mazda website, the CX-7 with moonroof, remote starter, etc (no OnStar, BTW) is $30,740. Mazda is not 'offering' anything on their website. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but it is safe to assume that Mazda isn't dealing with this vehicle as much as GM is with theirs.

So, based on my research, there is a $2k spread, give or take between the two similarly equipped AWD vehicles. Which has the nicer interior? Well, the Mazda does, but then it is 2 years newer and $2k more.

Before we get into the 'well-$2k-is-not-much-money' tired old argument, consider this: you can $2k a month yourself to death.

I'm not going to defend the 'Nox interior to the ground, but GM did upgrade it last year (the wood trim is so-so, IMO) and in the leather it is actually pretty nice. There are no big gaps or glaring ugliness like the Cavalier had - or the Trailblazer still has!

(the wood trim is so-so, IMO)

All of GM's wood trim from right now and before seriously fails to impress me. There is way too much sheen and the pattern is not terribly convincing. I really wish our Aura did not have it.

This is the pattern of wood, oak to be specific:

oakwood.jpg

This is the pattern of GM's plood, from a Saturn Aura to be specific:

saturn-aura-interior.jpg

Cheap and unconvincing.

I know what appearance GM was going for with the interior plood, and that is the appearance of burled walnut. But still, it is a poor imitation:

WalnutBurl.jpg

Edited by YellowJacket894

I've been seeing that wood pattern in cars since the early 90's. I thought things were supposed to get better with time... :huh:

Agreed.

My aunt's boyfriend has a 1989 Buick Skylark with the same "woodgrain" pattern. It doesn't have the abrasive sheen of the Aura's interior plood, but it still appears cheap all the same.

Oh yeah, I have never been a fan of gray + wood...

The lower dash in our Aura is tan, but it does not help to any significant degree.

That is why my Impala has a tan interior because I didn't like the gray and wood look. Another reason I went with a Torrent over an Equinox couldn't stand the trim. Neither of my Pontiac's have cheap wood trim in the Impala it is just there. Although I really think up until the new 'Bu, CTS, and GMT-900's and new Enclave etc. it had one of the better interiors. Back in 2005 when C&D drove it they had alot of nice things to say about the 'Nox. I think the interior in mine is pretty nice as nice as a Rav-4 in my view. The 3400 actually has pretty good kick and in a hilly town *(very hilly)* I get 18-19mpg in the city. Considering I get 18 in my Bonneville and 20 in my Impala I consider that very good for a high profile vehicle aka a crossover SUV.

QUOTE: Lamar -- post Today, 02:48 PM

PAST VEHICLES*

1988 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado, 5.7L V8 (I learned to drive in this)

1995 Dodge Intrepid (wife's; dead)

I'm so sorry.... did she die of natural causes? :(

:fryingpan:

There is a '08 1SD (LTZ to you guys) 'Nox 5 feet from my desk. There is a '08 Mazda CX-7 in behind service. According to GM.com and Mazda.com (I am using American prices so as not to confuse you), the LTZ is $28,745 with the sunroof, leather, Pioneer speakers, etc (I used a 14225 zip code, sorry Buffalo). GM offers a 60 month American payment of $500 a month. Over to the Mazda website, the CX-7 with moonroof, remote starter, etc (no OnStar, BTW) is $30,740. Mazda is not 'offering' anything on their website. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but it is safe to assume that Mazda isn't dealing with this vehicle as much as GM is with theirs.

So, based on my research, there is a $2k spread, give or take between the two similarly equipped AWD vehicles. Which has the nicer interior? Well, the Mazda does, but then it is 2 years newer and $2k more.

Before we get into the 'well-$2k-is-not-much-money' tired old argument, consider this: you can $2k a month yourself to death.

I'm not going to defend the 'Nox interior to the ground, but GM did upgrade it last year (the wood trim is so-so, IMO) and in the leather it is actually pretty nice. There are no big gaps or glaring ugliness like the Cavalier had - or the Trailblazer still has!

You don't pay 2k a month for a 2k more expensive car.

I'm so sorry.... did she die of natural causes? :(

I hope you know he's referring to the car not his wife...

I've been seeing that wood pattern in cars since the early 90's. I thought things were supposed to get better with time... :huh:

Oh yeah, I have never been a fan of gray + wood...

+1

Every designer knows: you don't mix cool colors with earth tones.

Besides, the Equinox is what I am talking about, not the uglier Torrent. The Equinox uses 2-tone dash pieces, of lighter and darker grey. The Torrent cloth seats look a little nicer (which isn't saying much) but the Equinox dash is better - not even to mention the horrid orange lighting on the Pontiac.

Edited by CARBIZ

That is why my Impala has a tan interior because I didn't like the gray and wood look. Another reason I went with a Torrent over an Equinox couldn't stand the trim. Neither of my Pontiac's have cheap wood trim in the Impala it is just there. Although I really think up until the new 'Bu, CTS, and GMT-900's and new Enclave etc. it had one of the better interiors. Back in 2005 when C&D drove it they had alot of nice things to say about the 'Nox. I think the interior in mine is pretty nice as nice as a Rav-4 in my view. The 3400 actually has pretty good kick and in a hilly town *(very hilly)* I get 18-19mpg in the city. Considering I get 18 in my Bonneville and 20 in my Impala I consider that very good for a high profile vehicle aka a crossover SUV.

You do realize that the brushed alluminum or woodgrain are dealer selectable options - for NO CHARGE. A little more research would have allowed you to go with the much nicer ebony interior on the Impala with the brushed aluminum.

Carbiz the 'Nox should have an additional 2K off at least if not 3K. Maybe more depending upon dealer especially on a fully loaded LTZ.

Well, I was only quoting from the American website. In Canada, the LT has a 'free' sunroof (about a $900 credit) and 0 financing for 72 months, which is worth another $4,500 or so, depending on what your $30k or so could be doing for you somewhere else. So, up here, the 'Nox is around $4-5k cheaper than the Mazda.

I was only picking on the Mazda because we have a new one on our back lot right now. (I know - strange, but we also have Ferraris and Porches on our lot, too). I, personally, think the Mazda CX-7 and 9 are gorgeous, and if I was one of the 'loathed' fat cats out there, I would certainly give the Mazda a look, but Chevrolet is (as it always has) been all about budget and economy. It kind of blows my mind when armchair critics go off comparing the latest Chevrolet interiors to, say, what Acura or others are offering. Take a look on eBay and compare a '65 Impala interior to a '65 Buick or Chrysler. Chevrolet was never about setting the trends - it was about bang for the buck and reliable American rides. My point is that the 'Nox is a decent looking vehicle, rides and handles well, and is well priced in the market.

The greater shame is that the Torrent is such a horrendous rebadge. Why didn't GM put the 3.6 in the Torrent 2 years ago and make that the only Pontiac offering, and skip the Equinox Sport? that would have been better marketing, IMO. That is a better way to at least attempt to differentiate the two heinous twins.

CARBIZ, compare these 2 cargo bays:

Hatch.jpg

Hatch2.jpg

The Equinox in its current iteration was always too long, heavy, and narrow. My worry is that the new version still has these negative attributes, even with a better powertrain and interior.

I think the equinox/torrent interiors are not too bad in comparison to the former Vue's interior. Being that they are all theta-based, the Nox/torrent got the better deal out of it. They still don't compare to the interior of the new Vues though. I opted for the black/tan combo that has plood accents. It's actually very clean and the fit 'n finish is above almost all in the segment.

Here's my 08 Vue interior

3089115_11_full.jpg

CARBIZ, compare these 2 cargo bays:

Hatch.jpg

Hatch2.jpg

The Equinox in its current iteration was always too long, heavy, and narrow. My worry is that the new version still has these negative attributes, even with a better powertrain and interior.

You do realize, of course, that what you are looking at is the deletable dividing tray racks, right? Plus, the vehicle in quesiton has the 10" Pioneer sub built into the back, which takes more space. For those who wish 'more' room, you can order it without the squared off housing that accomodates the multi-level tray.

Plus, for those who aren't using the back seat, it can be pushed all the way forward (it slides on rails) or it folds down, like everyone else's does.

Look, with the rear wheels pushed into the back (like the Maxx did) to make for class leading rear seat leg room, obviously the wheel wells will intrude into the cargo area. It's just a neat idea that suits some people and not others. If you have a couple of 14 year old boys who are over 6' and don't have the money for a Tahoe, then nobody can touch the leg room in the back of the 'Nox. It works for a lot of people, that's all. If a couple inches of width is that important, then buy something else. There is nothing inherently wrong with the design, it just suits a different purpose.

I think the equinox/torrent interiors are not too bad in comparison to the former Vue's interior. Being that they are all theta-based, the Nox/torrent got the better deal out of it. They still don't compare to the interior of the new Vues though. I opted for the black/tan combo that has plood accents. It's actually very clean and the fit 'n finish is above almost all in the segment.

Here's my 08 Vue interior

3089115_11_full.jpg

The Vue's interior is very nice, but you can't assume it's better than a preproduction interior you haven't st in yet. :P