Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2006 Pontiac G4 Coupe (MEXICO)

They went through all the trouble of designing a separate rear fascia for the Pursuit/G4. Ya think they could have done the same for the front, so the grille doesn't look so tacked on? Seriously, keep it out of the US...noone will fall for it. Either design a separate Delta (traditional 5dr/wagon) or keep the Solstice as the entry level Pontiac.

They went through all the trouble of designing a separate rear fascia for the Pursuit/G4. Ya think they could have done the same for the front, so the grille doesn't look so tacked on? Seriously, keep it out of the US...noone will fall for it. Either design a separate Delta (traditional 5dr/wagon) or keep the Solstice as the entry level Pontiac.

Tell me about it... I know Pontiac needs a compact badly, but not this clone.

Well, if i were in the market for a small, sporty 2-door coupe, I'd want the G4/Pursuit over the Cobalt. If Pontiac only sold the 2-door, then I wouldn't have a problem with a NA version (especially since they have the Vibe to cover the 5-door/sedan market). Then I'd also want to see Chevy change the Cobalt Sedan's rear so that it doesn't resemble the G4/Pursuit.

Sell it here but giveit some distinct styling, headlights, tail lights and fascias... Geez, people used to complain about the Cavalier/Sunbird and Cavalier/Sunfire, this makes those look like they're worlds appart. The name G4 sucks even more than G6. <_<

Pontiac already has two rebadged Chevrolets in its lineup...the Torrent and the SV6. Thinking long-term, selling the Pursuit/G4 in the US would hurt Pontiac's image a lot more than help it. The GTO is scheduled to stop production in a year or so. We've been told the Solstice is a one-model-cycle-only car. No good news is forthcoming about any RWD Pontiacs...everything is centering around Camaro, "Bel Air", and Velite. That would eventually leave the G6 as the only distinct Pontiac. Bad news. A disinctly styled Delta would be more than fine. A hot TSX-killing 5dr hatch or traditional wagon would fill a hole in the B-P-G lineup and differentiate it more from the other Delta cars.

The Cobalt is within a couple of inches of the TSX in nearly every dimension. It's biggest shortcoming is in the area of shoulder/hip room. The TSX is midsized for a European car, but for the US it's a pretty big compact.

I thought Kappa was supposed to be a very flexible platform.  It was designed that way. A Kappa sedan is not impossible.

[post="35069"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I do not know where you got that information. Kappa is the most inflexible of the new GM platforms. Sigma is flexible. Epsilon is flexible. Lambda is flexible. Theta is flexible. Delta is flexible. Kappa? Not at all.

Pontiac already has two rebadged Chevrolets in its lineup...the Torrent and the SV6. Thinking long-term, selling the Pursuit/G4 in the US would hurt Pontiac's image a lot more than help it. The GTO is scheduled to stop production in a year or so. We've been told the Solstice is a one-model-cycle-only car. No good news is forthcoming about any RWD Pontiacs...everything is centering around Camaro, "Bel Air", and Velite. That would eventually leave the G6 as the only distinct Pontiac. Bad news.

Yeah... <_< I would still like to be filled in by any insider as to what's up with Pontiac. If it has to be done privately, so be it. I'll keep quiet. I just want to know what the hell is going on. It is really starting to piss me off...

As for the TSX fighter, well as long as its a coupe and sedan too I'm all for it. If it's just a 5-door hatch, well, that's no fun for a coupe-lover like me. I love 3-door hatches as well. So, I can deal with a sedan... 5-door hatch... eh, not so much. I like this idea as long as that is met.

Back to the G4/Pursuit. Again, the major problem for me is just that its a clone. The car itself looks hot except for that silly grill insert. If gets a a new front fascia, maybe some upscale headlights, a slightly reworked interior, it looses the MC reverse lights, gets a nice power boost and enhanced handling.... I think it'd be fine. But I'd still prefer an entirely new design on Delta.

Guest YellowJacket894
Geeze! And to think we complained about the Cavalier/Sunfire! I would not want this thing anywhere near the U.S. GM would be putting another random bullet in their foot.

I like the idea of just selling the G4 coupe in the U.S. A "clone" it may be, but it's only car nuts like us that get worked up over that. But from the perspective of a Pontiac dealer, having two coupe choices (the G4 and G6, actually three if you include the pricier GTO) makes it just that much easier to both attract the consumer looking for a modestly priced coupe, and giving him/her the selection and choices needed to make the sale. If Pontiac is the "excitement" division, then make it the one-stop shop for personal cars, for every taste and price range: G4 coupe, G6 coupe, G6 vert, GTO and Solstice. That's synergy, and that's what boosts sales. I agree the G4 sedan probably isn't needed; it competes too closely with the Vibe. Edited by Jazzhead

I like the idea of just selling the G4 coupe in the U.S.  A "clone" it may be,  but it's only car nuts like us that get worked up over that.    But from the perspective of a Pontiac dealer,  having two coupe choices (the G4 and G6, actually three if you include the pricier GTO)  makes it just that much easier to both attract the consumer looking for a modestly priced coupe,  and giving him/her the selection and choices needed to make the sale.

If Pontiac is the "excitement" division,  then make it the one-stop shop for personal cars, for every taste and price range:    G4 coupe, G6 coupe,  G6 vert, GTO and Solstice.    That's synergy, and that's what boosts sales.

I agree the G4 sedan probably isn't needed; it competes too closely with the Vibe.

[post="35596"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Good points..if I were a Pontiac dealer, I'd be unhappy about the potential sales lost by the demise of the Sunfire...how many did it sell anyway? I think the coupe sold more than the sedan (at least I see more of them than Sunfire sedans ...

I think pontiac would do well if they had a 4 door/2 door compact built on the Solstice chassis. RWD baby!

[post="35049"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hell yeah! Kappa is flexible as GM wants it to be. Waht lie adding 7" to the wheelbase, a fixed roof and four doors is so complicated?

Yes it is Sixty8; moreso than that actually. The platform just isn't adequate. It takes massive work to engineer a usable back seat in it. Almost to the point of where it couldn't be considered Kappa anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to be flexible enough to provide a great compact for Pontiac, but it just isn't. It would be best to wait until a Kappa II or whatever.