Spied! Subaru's new RWD coupe

Spied! Subaru's new RWD coupe
This one will be shared with Toyota
subaru_logo.jpg
Link to original Article @ Autoblog

AutoExpress may have provided us with a rendering of what the new RWD Subaru coupe might look like, but Winding Road's hired spies have provided the real deal. Shot outside a test center in the UK (amidst white-out conditions), the camo-clad mule is sporting some body panels pilfered from the current Legacy, but with a Toyota emblem in front, a pair of Recaro buckets inside and a shrunken trunk, there's little doubt that this prototype is more than just your standard sedan.

There's still no confirmation about what kind of output the 2.0-liter flat-four will be producing, as estimates have ranged from 180- to 220-hp, but grunt is expected to be shoveled to the rear wheels through a six-speed manual gearbox and pricing should start a few pennies shy of $20,000.

Another competitor is going to eat GM's rear-drive lunch. :nono:

$20,000 RWD coupe sounds fun, but if the styling is anything like Toyota or Subaru's current direction, I'll pass.

Seriously, was there anything wrong with the last gen Impreza? Why'd they have to go and f*ck it up, all it needed was revised tail lights.

This is the nicest Subaru ever made:

subaruimpreza.jpg

Is this car gonna be a two seater or a four seater if its a two seater it should be a nice competitor to the solstice coupe, altho I doubt toyota would make a better looking car then the solstice

Stop the F***ing presses, I think I hear the 12 horsemen of the apocolipse approaching!

I agree w/ Siegen 100% about something, LOL

The last facelift for the last gen. Impreza/WRX/STi was fantastic... the new Impreza is

GROSS like an infected zit on a crackwhore's pu***flap.

So does that mean you don't like the new Impreza, Sixty8? :AH-HA_wink:

This thing is sounding very interesting. It's just what I've been hoping for, a small, RWD 4 seater coupe that is affordable. :scratchchin:

This thing is sounding very interesting. It's just what I've been hoping for, a small, RWD 4 seater coupe that is affordable. :scratchchin:

And so it begins, the flocks of GM faithful doing their business elsewhere, with other companies that build the products they desire, the products GM failed to deliver on. :nono:

And so it begins, the flocks of GM faithful doing their business elsewhere, with other companies that build the products they desire, the products GM failed to deliver on. :nono:

Seriously I am with OCN here. GM does not have balls to bring a car in this market so soon. A small light RWD coupe, sedan, convertible at a price of a mid-sizer with a decent engine would be a perfect vehicle.

Alpha is far from reality, and Toyota will be spanking GM to eternity if they build a vehicle that is half decent in looks.

Stop the F***ing presses, I think I hear the 12 horsemen of the apocolipse approaching!

I agree w/ Siegen 100% about something, LOL

The last facelift for the last gen. Impreza/WRX/STi was fantastic...

Hmmm...but the Impreza was a FWD/AWD car...it's not a 30-50yr old RWD, BOF, hardtop with a carburated v8...how could you possibly say anything nice about it? :)

Hmmm...but the Impreza was a FWD/AWD car...it's not a 30-50yr old RWD, BOF, hardtop with a carburated v8...how could you possibly say anything nice about it? :)

To my knowledge, the Impreza has always had a longitudinally mounted flat 4-cylinder and has been AWD. A RWD version shouldn't be too difficult, just disconnect the front drive shafts. :AH-HA_wink: :thumbsup:

I always found the current Legacy STi and Outback wagon to be the best looking Subarus.

If Subaru has any common sense they will offer their version with AWD that's bias RWD standard . If it's optional it still defeats the brand's long time claim of having AWD standard on every model.

Yes, correctly mounted pancake motor is one of the few reasons why

WRX > Evo

I like the actual spy shot. The car's proportions definitely bring to mind the old 3-Series hatch back. The rendering makes it look like a Hyundai Accent hatch on steroids, though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what it looks like unmasked.

A sub-$20,000 pricetag + RWD coupe = Me likey. :D

I'm not sure what happened with Subaru. The Legacy was and is still a great product. The B9 had a nice interior, but was quite ugly. Everything after that has been really boring with absolute crap interiors--the new Impreza looks like a nondescript hatch from the 1990s.

• 3 weeks later...

While I thoght the last gen WRXi was ugly ( at least it stood out) but better looking then the Evo, this time around I find the EVo the better looking car of the pair. Suburu has turned the WRXi into a generic hatchback blob. Loose the ugly wing opn the Evo and itis not a bad lloking car. However I would not buy either because it is not my cup of tea.

• 8 months later...

an affordable rear-wheel drive sedan...finally someone GETS IT!! this just may be my first new car!

i would love to support the home team but how long has it been now that GM has been promising us a rear-wheel drive alpha? keep producing your boring ass cars GM, i'll just go elsewhere :CanadaEmoticon:

LOL.

Even the hippie-granola-hump a tree brand can build the RWD car that GM has been promising us for 10 years.

Like Metallica says. SBT.

What a pathetic time to be an American car enthusiast. :(

an affordable rear-wheel drive sedan...finally someone GETS IT!! this just may be my first new car!

i would love to support the home team but how long has it been now that GM has been promising us a rear-wheel drive alpha? keep producing your boring ass cars GM, i'll just go elsewhere :CanadaEmoticon:

About 200,000 young adults a year will be giving

GM the cold shoulder as they walk into a Toyota

dealership to buy this because they can't afford

the Camaro brand new.

At least the clueless College girls will keep buying

the G5s & Cobalts cause they're "SO CUTE".

moar FWD, 170hp V6 sedans r EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No,no... It'll be in a 1984 Pontiac T1000: it screams EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT @ CSpec - Subaru seems to have not found a styling identity. That new Legacy concept is just 'meh' x 1000000000000

Edited by ZL-1

The (Chevette) based T1000 was RWD.

It's the Citation/Phoenix that were FWD.

I prefer this one:

subaru360pickup.jpg

The black Impreza pictured (in this thread) looks mean, planted, balanced, and distinctive...it is far better looking than the current model.

The current Impreza 5-door looks too puffy...and it resembles a Suzuki Reno...and the 4-door is simply generic.

Nothing bad...but nothing that links design with any emotion or brand recognition. If the new Toyo/Subie coupe actually makes it to production, I hope the Subie looks unique.

Looks aside, we could use more (cheap...around $20K) fun cars.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...