It's NEW new car time...perhaps

Things must be quite different in your state. The Malibu leases for about $30-40 a month LESS than a similarly equipped Accord around here. When you are saying zero down, are you including all the 'hidden' fees and stuff? Honda advertises zero down leases here, too, but then want a couple grand up front once you whip out the credit card.

Well, the Accord comparo is just based on reading through Edmunds.com forums with the various model specific leasing threads and seeing what people are really getting--Malibu included.

For my purposes, again just to see what they were, we ran 36/36 SmartBuy numbers on both the Malibu LTZ-4 and Impala 50th yesterday, based on Supplier pricing minus whatever cash was available (little bit on Impala, nada on Malibu). This was my first time figuring anything lease related, and she did SmartBuys because--she also doubles as one of their F&I people--she said it's "much cleaner" than a lease but with the same terms, essentially, a lot less paperwork, and still can get turned in at the end just with the disposal fee. I ran a comparo on a GM site last night, and they work out similarly payment wise--I believe her as far as paperwork and such.

Just assuming so, she ran them with nothing down. Of course, I never asked what other fees there might be to start with something like a SmartBuy, if any, but we were going for as close to a sign & drive kind of a thing as possible. The Impy worked out to $399 and the Malibu was actually in the $425 range. Both quite high, I thought. Loaded cars, yes, but nothing THAT special. Then again, maybe that's typical...the terms and pricing were pretty clear. They'd go down more if there were more incentive on leasing either, I think.

Again, just playing with numbers. I'm friends with the sales person (same one who just prints me invoices and says "you know what all those numbers are without me telling you"), and another thing she said when I was leasing was "Cars in general (GM) are pretty good, aside from cheaper things like Cobalts and HHR's which stink--you just buy those."

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one major difference between the Excited States and Canada with respect to car shopping is that invoice pricing has become meaningless down there. Here, we still negotiate from sticker and there are very few 'holdbacks' and other such crap. In the U.S., because an entire industry has popped up around providing 'invoice pricing,' the term has become meaningless. From where I sit, it is just another way to screw the salespeople out of a honest living, because they get paid on 'gross' and if the dealer is eager to give it up, then you know the dealer is getting paid some other way and they keep the salespeople out of the loop, because we are too eager to make friends with our customers and spill trade secrets. :AH-HA_wink:

You'd never buy a Malibu for $600 over invoice here, so what does that term mean, really?

Exactly. Maybe more today, we'll see. It's great to have a friend in sales that I will ONLY go to, and not only knows the product, but knows what will be changing with it, what models and equipment is what, AND will spend as much time touring the lot with me and grabbing handfuls of keys to drive several things. And she's a lady, so even more respectful given what some might think :thumbsup:

I REALLY liked the Malibu 2.4L/6-speed combo, for sure, but still wouldn't be averse to an existing 4-speed one. Enjoyed the LTZ interior too, though it's a tossup between it and mom's 2LT with suede. It was kind of fun to drive something with 1 mile, too, just off the truck pre-prep. And from there, as much as I've been averse to the Impala and still largely am...that Black Granite 50th Anniversary car definitely changed my grasp a bit, as far as it was concerned. Amazing what the right colors, wheels, and equipment can do to a car. I only really looked at these 2 yesterday, and both clearly above my theoretical buy limit, that was where the play with leasing came in.

Did a comparo of 0 down 36/36 leases on each, as I was curious what such GM sedans could lease out for, and they weren't bad...but were high. Well, at least compared to what you can lease even more loaded Accords and such for. That said, I was tempted today to see what a G6 coupe (oddly, like them) and/or a Malibu 1LT for several thousand less might run. The idea of a few year, 0 down thing is quite attractive, as yeah there's no equity, etc., but if you'll always have a car payment anyway (trading before or the day when one is paid off, for instance), it can work out better.

Who knows. Lots still to try. And then today, even with the "boo" talk on the HHR, I started this morning thinking how much I really still liked them and could swing one of those right now for sure. Time to even go to the dark side with Honda, Mazda, VW, etc. if I ever make it to one.

That's another thing...I've been completely open to any brand (well, except for Chrysler...ugh), but realized yesterday how much of a help it is with GM to have such a great place a stone's throw away for service, sales, etc. Similar with Ford and such too. And, if and when I moved, not that there wouldn't be even more closer, but it's a consideration to think about.

We'll see. Stay tuned, hah.

If you're looking at the Malibu, definitely try out the new Accord. That thing is huge inside!

VW usually has great 3/36 leases. "Sign Then Drive" ($0 down) has officially ended, but the rates are similar. Get a base Rabbit for $229/mo (0 down, 3 yr, 36K mi) or a Passat Turbo 6A for $299/mo (also 0 down, 3 yr, 36K mi).

Check out Mazda, too. A relative got a CX-7 Sport for $249/mo, $0 "down" (+ first month payment and fees, total of $600), 27 mo, 10.5K mi/yr.

Edited by empowah

If you're looking at the Malibu, definitely try out the new Accord. That thing is huge inside!

VW usually has great 3/36 leases. "Sign Then Drive" ($0 down) has officially ended, but the rates are similar. Get a base Rabbit for $229/mo (0 down, 3 yr, 36K mi) or a Passat Turbo 6A for $299/mo (also 0 down, 3 yr, 36K mi).

Check out Mazda, too. A relative got a CX-7 Sport for $249/mo, $0 "down" (+ first month payment and fees, total of $600), 27 mo, 10.5K mi/yr.

Very good reminder. There's a lot I "really like" with GM, but when it comes to the money...there are some REALLY nice things from VW, Honda, Mazda, etc. for the same dough and especially that lease out much better.

GM does not lease well still. Ford does now though!

i want to try the 2.4 6 speed too. the aura 4 cyl was nice but i could tell it could really use the extra 2 gears.

i didn't like the jetta i drove yesterday. and for sure, don't ever BUY a VW. lease it and get rid of it before it falls apart.

GM does not lease well still. Ford does now though!

i want to try the 2.4 6 speed too. the aura 4 cyl was nice but i could tell it could really use the extra 2 gears.

i didn't like the jetta i drove yesterday. and for sure, don't ever BUY a VW. lease it and get rid of it before it falls apart.

Yet again, yep, you're on a line similar to me with all of those. I want to try some Aura's now, too, as I've done Malibus, G6s, and the like.

OH...and today. WHAT an afternoon. I was trying to stay away from the dealer, but I just called on a whim again and said "Hmm...can you give me another lease price on that one G6 GT coupe you have". She did, and it was of course lower than either of the loaded Chevy's yesterday...but I just wanted to drive.

And DRIVE I did. Took a white G6 GT coupe for a short spin with her and liked it, and was offered (as usual) "Take it to work and see what they think." Don't have to ask me twice. I did. WOW. Never did I expect to be so impressed by a 3.5L so much, let alone in a G6. Let's just say, this was one car--and still weird to me--that I not only fit in like a glove, but was told it was the first of my test drives that I smiled on. Like with the Impy yesterday, my opinion of the G6 is so different now, only really so with a drive. Took it to work and everyone liked it, except for the color...same for me. Then I decided to call again and ask if I could bring it back and take the Black Granite G6 GXP coupe in it's place. Let's just say :thumbsup: for both, but I really was most of all impressed by the GT. And definitely an aural difference between a 3.5L OHV and the screamer 3.6L...my first time with each.

So today was a G6 day. And was it a good one. Remember that car I've poo-poo'd for a few years? Yeah, not anymore. I'm getting closer to finding the "one". Well, at least until tomorrow :rolleyes: ...maybe...then I'll think the G6 was crazy, again, hah.

Edited by caddycruiser

I am not a huge fan of the sedan but in a coupe they are hard not to love. I would honestly go 50th Anni Impala, G6 GT Coupe or Malibu LT_ something with a 4 cylinder. The 3.5's are pretty good on gas and power too. I do love the G6 coupe but alas I have a soft spot for Pontiac... :D

I am not a huge fan of the sedan but in a coupe they are hard not to love. I would honestly go 50th Anni Impala, G6 GT Coupe or Malibu LT_ something with a 4 cylinder. The 3.5's are pretty good on gas and power too. I do love the G6 coupe but alas I have a soft spot for Pontiac... :D

Oh and so now do I. The sedans I'm still ehh on, but the coupes are something really cool...and they just feel so RIGHT to me, in size, seating, visibility, etc.

First one I took was a Ivory White/Light Taupe GT coupe with just the Sunroof & 6-CD, for $24,270. I knew from closing the door, it was right, with the windows and sunroof open. The cloth seats were ideal, too, and in the right color--I have leather now, and don't want it for the next thing, luxury feature or not. From there, it was just the drive, pure and simple, that sold me. Wow. For one, I've never driven a 3.5L, and was shocked at the smoothness and very refined GM V6 growl, nothing like a lot of past ones--and more so, darn, does it have torque. For such low power ratings, once it was me alone, this car would just grab and roar like an ungodly beast and is dead on with the 4-speed. I actually didn't get a full aural effect with the windows and roof all open, but just incredible power I thought, with torque to spare. Took this one back to work and everyone really liked the look and interior, but was ehh on the white...as was I.

Next up, the batmobile! Hah, or at least what I called it. These were the only 2 coupes they've had, and both have been sitting for a long time. I get to drive anything and everything I want, so why not? Perfect time to try a 3.6L/6-speed car...and holy $h!es again. This Black Granite/Ebony GXP was loaded to the gills to $29,730. Instantly, even with the start sound, the 3.6L sounds like a sophisticated piece. None of the typical growly GM start, but a smooth, quiet, chirpy fire. Overall ride and handling felt essentially identical...but this car had even more grunt, but in a different way. The GT felt like it was ripping at the pavement to roar forward as strongly as possible, from the start. The GXP felt smoother and not as instantly torquey but had a similar aggressive throttle and just screamed...and I made it do so a LOT. Wow, what a drivetrain. I thought it was great in the Lambdas, but throw it in an Epsilon and I can certainly see where it is often "too much" unless you enjoy it. A beast, and a silky smooth, banshee screaming, rubber tearing at the pavement one. Again at work, they liked the color better...but few liked the big spoiler or aggressive nose.

Needless to say, I've found a contender, and a very likely one. Looking back, I keep trying to think I was too overly wowed for "just a G6" but they really were just much more than I was expecting. As my friend/sales person said, it was the first thing I clearly looked fully comfortable and smiled in. And it's a G6, hah.

It was not a productive afternoon at work, to say the least. And then with the black one I went out with an intern--an intern who, by the way, has a Red/Black '08 G6 GXP herself....--to get some Rita's Ice for the office, before returning the batmobile. I dropped it off with the keys and only heard "So..." and then in a joking manner, "what do I have to do..." hah. Honestly? Not much. In passing I said a Dark Steel Gray or White Diamond (ooh...) GT coupe.

Again, not a great lease, but doable. Still to try some Mazdas, Hondas, VWs (especially with their typically great leases), and such. The pull with GM, of course, being my familiarity and extreme ease of service. Now with my experience with the 3.5L and 3.6L...I'm more inclined to try an Aura, too. Wonder if I'd get the same feel in either.

Amazing, too, how power can make one forget economy (i.e. such as Ecotec). Well, a 3.5L driven mostly gently should still be better than an LT1 in a 20ft long car, slightly.

And it continues... :AH-HA_wink:

Now, if there were any new dough thrown on certain things by GM for 4th of July. Hate to ask for or beg incentives, but you know.

Another dealer farther north has a really old Silver/Ebony '07 G6 GTP (pre GXP) coupe they're trying to sell for $22k, and there's a ton used already, all of which I'm playing with for numbers, to see. Oh, well, that and getting rid of the Fleetwood.

I have to stay away from the car lot tomorrow...that's for sure.

Drive a Solstice - you know you want to. :AH-HA_wink:

I do, I do. To get into one--if I wanted--it would have to be slightly used.

But I liked the one I sat in...takes the lack of room to a new level, but fun. Just not sure about convertible. Wish the Targa was out from the start.

Until then, the G6 coupe is a front runner. Now even more so, I can't believe I went from extreme economy and such to a typical mid-size V6 car. Hah.

Yet again, yep, you're on a line similar to me with all of those. I want to try some Aura's now, too, as I've done Malibus, G6s, and the like.

the press and hip crowd has everyone convinced that you have to prefer cars like the jetta and such over GM but the truth is there are still some people that if they had their minds open and test drove stuff and paid attention to what really matters to them would actually pick the GM stuff.

Using myself as a case in point. My father in law got an 08 Grand Prix recently. I've actually always liked the current GP, when he was in town with it i got to drive it for an extended evening and i was reminded what was nice about the car. Cabin comfort, good stable ride and handling, responsive v6.

But GPs are not cool. So I should never want one. I test drove that jetta the other day and vw's are supposed to be all that and a bag of chips and yes it was a very excellent car but i sat there thinking that for my situation i might still enjoy the GP more than the very good jetta. Mainly becuase the GP has such a smooth and stable ride and a much sportier cockpit and really good handling too. Plus its interior accomodations are better as far as cabin width and space.

Just because its not cool to like GM or even Ford....doesn't make them invalid in the market even though many see it that way. It's the buyers choice what they like and i think its fine to buck the crowd and admit you like cars like the v6 g6.

reg...dead on.

There's so many choices, and I've been open and even wanting to go somewhere else, to something different, and an import. But then I take drives like I did yesterday and just go, why? Sure a Pontiac--just as one example--isn't the most alluring "name", but big whoop. It was very right for me, and I'm still smiling.

The kicker is just pricing. Typical buy, great. Lease/SmartBuy not bad either, until you look at what various VW's and such with even higher prices and more stuff run for with the same terms. But then again, that alone isn't the best decision basis, especially compared to dealer location, service, and more.

Still don't know. But of what I've tried...only GM, still...the G6 coupes were the special ones--like I was ready to sign, good. Maybe Ford today, for something, if I can bring myself to it. Don't know. Otherwise, not much to pick from in the immediate vicinity aside from Chrysler. Maybe squeeze some travel time in to hit some imports over the weekend. Or not.

In the dying days of the last dealership I worked at, we had a '04 Jetta on the lot for the same price as a (daily rental) '07 G6 6 cylinder sedan. Same price! One had half the warranty intact; the other had none. One was a 6 and one was a 4 cylinder. I tried to drive both with an open mind, but I just could not see why anyone would pay the extra money for the Jetta, especially when VW has perennially sat on the lower rungs of all of JD Powers quality rankings, including the latest one. The Germans seem to do that touchy, touchy, feely plastic better than anyone else, but does that automatically make it a superior car? Even if one takes quality reports with a grain of salt, like I do, you have to wonder why VW more than any other company has always dwindled at the bottom of the ratings. Even Hyundai has climbed them!

Talk about perception over reality. GM and Ford are trying to live down pereceived injustices they commited decades ago, while VW is still living off the afterglow of the Beetle that they stopped making 30 years ago.

Unless you want to become on a first name basis with your mechanic (and maybe make him godfather to your children), do not buy a VW.

In the dying days of the last dealership I worked at, we had a '04 Jetta on the lot for the same price as a (daily rental) '07 G6 6 cylinder sedan. Same price! One had half the warranty intact; the other had none. One was a 6 and one was a 4 cylinder. I tried to drive both with an open mind, but I just could not see why anyone would pay the extra money for the Jetta, especially when VW has perennially sat on the lower rungs of all of JD Powers quality rankings, including the latest one. The Germans seem to do that touchy, touchy, feely plastic better than anyone else, but does that automatically make it a superior car? Even if one takes quality reports with a grain of salt, like I do, you have to wonder why VW more than any other company has always dwindled at the bottom of the ratings. Even Hyundai has climbed them!

Talk about perception over reality. GM and Ford are trying to live down pereceived injustices they commited decades ago, while VW is still living off the afterglow of the Beetle that they stopped making 30 years ago.

Unless you want to become on a first name basis with your mechanic (and maybe make him godfather to your children), do not buy a VW.

Yeah. And as great as many can be leased--and even as great as I like the looks and how many drive--that and some other brands I just don't know. I've always been a huge proponent of not limiting yourself to one company, but when it comes to me, it seems like I'm just most comfortable with GM--and a lot of that has to do with a great dealer, for sure.

That was something the intern with the new red '08 G6 GXP coupe (graduation gift...oh, i wish!) said yesterday when I went with her for a ride in the black GXP, and she's been throwing out ideas to see what else I might like. I said we've just always had GM's, and I'm open to anything, but just really like so many of them. Her response was classic "Yeah, you can't really go wrong with GM"...for a non-car person (but with an awesome car), I enjoyed hearing that.

Then I get to work again and have another friend with Ford's ask what I did yesterday, and scrunched his face up again. "Really? Why not a Ford? You don't want a crappy Chevy or Pontiac or anything like that...too many problems and a lot of cheap, foreign parts." I was so dumbfounded, it was hard to reply. This, coming from someone with Fords, and an Explorer and Expedition to boot. Hah. At least he agreed the G6 is cool in looks and power.

That "reaction" thing is the most amusing thing to talk about with people, I've found.

I had the fortunate experience of renting (don't let that word ruin it for you) a G6 GT coupe in black on black leather - hard loaded - and was INSTANTLY in love with that car. It was a rocket, did well on gas, was fun...and a rocket! I liked it so much I took my mom to look at one when here lease options opened up again. She loved it, but instantly missed sitting high in an SUV and went with a new Rainier.

I have had two New Beetles, the latest an '07 2.5 auto. To say I was NOT impressed with that car was an understatement. The drivetrain is thrashy, and the 5 cylinder is just an odd sounding little thing in all ranges, from idle on up to redline. The appointments are nice, but little stuff would break or fall loose, and you just never felt like the quality was all that great. Then came the VW Service - $90.00 + oil changes on a $18,000 car? Excuse me? The parts and service aspect of the VW made it the final straw for me...and I happen to LIKE the funky styling of the Beetle and Rabbit...just not THAT much. :twocents:

He agreed the G6 is cool on looks? That explains a lot about his other comments!

Yeah, seriously!

I had the fortunate experience of renting (don't let that word ruin it for you) a G6 GT coupe in black on black leather - hard loaded - and was INSTANTLY in love with that car. It was a rocket, did well on gas, was fun...and a rocket! I liked it so much I took my mom to look at one when here lease options opened up again. She loved it, but instantly missed sitting high in an SUV and went with a new Rainier.

I have had two New Beetles, the latest an '07 2.5 auto. To say I was NOT impressed with that car was an understatement. The drivetrain is thrashy, and the 5 cylinder is just an odd sounding little thing in all ranges, from idle on up to redline. The appointments are nice, but little stuff would break or fall loose, and you just never felt like the quality was all that great. Then came the VW Service - $90.00 + oil changes on a $18,000 car? Excuse me? The parts and service aspect of the VW made it the final straw for me...and I happen to LIKE the funky styling of the Beetle and Rabbit...just not THAT much. :twocents:

Another great review--that sounds exactly like my take on the Pontiac. Almost feel bad I've been so averse to it for so long, especially compared to the 'Bu and Aura cousins. Fit like a glove, looks great, love the interior (yes, really), and the 3.5L--let alone the 3.6L screamer--is just holy whoa. Loved how tight it was, but also solid, smooth, and quiet like our 'Bu when I closed the windows and roof.

I have to say, I've had another day to think about it, and I still can't get my mind off the G6 coupe. It just feels like "me", which is something I've never settled on to this day. I'd get one tomorrow, but have to get the Fleetwood rolling with a new home (and finally start advertising or just throwing the For Sale signs in the windows, and not only talking about it), and sort out more details. We'll see.

Dark Steel Gray or White Diamond I think, with the upgraded 18's vs. the chrome 17's and Taupe cloth. I think it looks best darker, but White Diamond is just special... :scratchchin:

Edited by caddycruiser

Then I get to work again and have another friend with Ford's ask what I did yesterday, and scrunched his face up again. "Really? Why not a Ford? You don't want a crappy Chevy or Pontiac or anything like that...too many problems and a lot of cheap, foreign parts." I was so dumbfounded, it was hard to reply. This, coming from someone with Fords, and an Explorer and Expedition to boot. Hah. At least he agreed the G6 is cool in looks and power.

That "reaction" thing is the most amusing thing to talk about with people, I've found.

Speaking about Ford, how about a Fusion? Those are about as reliable as they come. And since it's a domestic, you can find a gently used one for half the MSRP. Ford has a CPO program, too.

caddy, you're a man after my own heart, with this G6 coupe love thing you've got goin' on. I prefer the regular white though (pearl white reminds me too much of... a DNA sample), and I think the brighter Summit white on the '09s (over the current, creamy Ivory) will really stand out as crisp and taut. Of course I also want to see Silver Moss (can anyone confirm that color will be available on the '09 coupe?). The dark gray you speak of is classy, as well, as is the dark blue.

Do they still have Granite Metallic on the G6? That's a sexy color.

They don't have Granite anymore, which was REALLY dark charcoal/gray, but the gray is now Dark Steel Gray which is the same as our Malibu's Dark Gray...and that I really like.

Not that I'm still 100% definite on the G6 (okay, well, am close), but I've been playing with Cars.com and other sites to find and save pictures of different color and wheel combos. Really like Dark Steel Gray, White Diamond, Black Granite, and I guess also Liquid Silver in the right setup. It's hard for me to be definitive yet, as each is quite different.

The 18" wheels are a must (like the chromes...but not as much so as the 18's on a coupe), as is the Light Taupe cloth interior (unless it's silver) which limits choices as far as what's on lots. That's sort of the other thing, seeing what's actually out there and what actually my dealer could get me (as I never take what's on the lot...though I did like the white/taupe GT before), and figure pricing with those.

Some GT's also have the Street Package like a member here has on a sedan, which I like in some ways, but don't in others--like price. Trying to nail down a few for sure combos so I can continue to figure things out.

I haven't made it anywhere today to try out the Fords, Mazdas, Hondas, etc. I wanted to, or even just Saturns, as expected. I'm wondering, for instance, how much or how different an Aura XE 3.5L might feel from a G6 GT 3.5L. Actually, I guess even a lot of base Aura XR's with the screamer 3.6L are in the same price territory, but the Aura alone opens up a whole new can. I just REALLY like the Epsilon as a coupe, more and more so. Same wheelbase, but just longer doors, cooler lines, and that focused for 2 people mainly feel--but still with a real back seat.

Day 3 and still on the G6, so that's saying something. I'd probably have gone further already didn't live at home right now and have to do the cajoling as far as that swap and what I've "spent". Still thinking of trying an Aura, some kind of a Mazda, a Fusion, and an Accord coupe, among others. The Accord coupe is probably the only one that gives a similar package, if I continue to like that as much.

caddy, you're a man after my own heart, with this G6 coupe love thing you've got goin' on. I prefer the regular white though (pearl white reminds me too much of... a DNA sample), and I think the brighter Summit white on the '09s (over the current, creamy Ivory) will really stand out as crisp and taut. Of course I also want to see Silver Moss (can anyone confirm that color will be available on the '09 coupe?). The dark gray you speak of is classy, as well, as is the dark blue.

Yeah...color is my biggest thing, along with wheels and special trimmings. So many with the G6, it's hard to decide.

And then I started wondering about '09s, with the small revisions and that showing of a changed face and whatever else that wasn't spelled out in the GM order guide. Probably not, but curious.

Here's an interesting G6 touch, which apparently comes in chrome or black:

5047.jpg

Basically, recessed vs. flush. Actually, one of a few choices. Stock flush/flat, the elongated (okay, "bugs bunny" GXP and Street Edition) iteration, and this accessory recessed. Same for the back end with no spoiler just the hump (a hump that people at work thought WAS a spoiler from a distance), the Hammerhead bigness, and again an accessory small hump lip spoiler choice. Front and back, there's a lot to specialize a G6 via GM.

EDIT: Well, I add to that. Also a legged spoiler choice that is either aftermarket or GM, I think aftermarket.

8GN842.02.jpg

EDIT: Oh, and again. The regular GT chrome wheels also come in a "black" variety for $150.

84107809.jpg

84107809.02.jpg

These wheels, bright chrome or black chrome, I'm ehh on with the swoopy coupe.

Edited by caddycruiser

So far we've driven the 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT FWD, the 2008 Ford Focus SES sedan, and the 2008 Ford Fusion SE 4cyl. We tried to go to the Chevy dealer last night, but they had closed at 6PM (we were two doors down at the still open Ford dealer right before). We did look at and sit in some unlocked 2008 Malibu's, including the LS, 1LT, and LTZ packaged models. The wife likes the LTZ interior the best, but not the MSRP! So we still need to try out a Malibu, and I've had my eye on a 2008 Pontiac G6 GT sedan in Performance Red for the last two months at a small, local Pontiac dealer; maybe I'll see if she's willing to test drive a G6 (with the 3.5L V6). The Focus is off the list, the Vibe is still her favorite, we don't like the SE model Fusion - however, they have a SE with a Sport Appearance Package that she does like and it addresses some of the issues she had with the regular SE verison. Today at the All-GM Nationals show in Carlisle, Chevy offered test drives and I took out the 2LT 4cyl Malibu. While I prefer the 3.5L V6 in my AURA better, the 2.4L 4cyl was decent (now it's up to teh wife to see for herself since she didn't go with me today). She likes the Vibe GT's performance and price <$21k>; I'd rather spend a little more and get a little bit bigger car with nicer features (Fusion SE Sport Appearance <$22k> or Malibu 2LT <$24k>). And I haven't even factored in the G6 GT sedan yet to the mix!!!

Derek, what's wrong with the Fleetwood (if anything)? Does it need any work, cosmetic, mechanical, etc? Feel free to PM this info if you don;t want to post it out here in the public's view. I saw at Carlisle today a beautiful dark cherry FTW Brougham and I couldn't stop thinking about your car being available for sale. I'm not making any promises, but you know how much I've always wanted one (look at all the PM's I've sent you over the last year alone on local ones I've found for sale!) and seeing as how the wife will be getting her new car soon, maybe I can play with some figures to see if I have anyway possible to buy your Caddy. It would be garage kept and used for family trips and anytime I want to drive a tank. The fact my dad agreed with me today that the FTW is a beautiful "tank of a car" when the FTW drove by us, and the uncanny coincidence that I was surrounded by three - yes, three! - FTW's while out last weekend on Father's Day, maybe it's a sign?

The FTW does run on regular gas, right??? :P

Incentives will be the key deciding factor when making the wife's purchase. As of now, we can get 0% financing up to 5 years on the Ford Fusion; outside of the GM Supplier Pricing discount & GM Supplier + Pull-Ahead incentive, along with the one final Envoy lease payment waived, the '08 Malibu and '09 Vibe offer NADA, zip, zilch, nuttin. I'm hoping that GM & Ford want to move some actual dealer inventory for the 4th of July holiday and offer additional great incentives, like 0% financing for 60 months and some cash rebates <wishful thinking, I'm sure>. We're that ready to buy (well, once she decides on the car she wants!!! :lol: ) if the incentives are good. Derek, you're not alone in wanting some incentives to help you make your purchase :thumbsup:

post-418-1214094569_thumb.jpg

So far we've driven the 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT FWD, the 2008 Ford Focus SES sedan, and the 2008 Ford Fusion SE 4cyl. We tried to go to the Chevy dealer last night, but they had closed at 6PM (we were two doors down at the still open Ford dealer right before). We did look at and sit in some unlocked 2008 Malibu's, including the LS, 1LT, and LTZ packaged models. The wife likes the LTZ interior the best, but not the MSRP! So we still need to try out a Malibu, and I've had my eye on a 2008 Pontiac G6 GT sedan in Performance Red for the last two months at a small, local Pontiac dealer; maybe I'll see if she's willing to test drive a G6 (with the 3.5L V6). The Focus is off the list, the Vibe is still her favorite, we don't like the SE model Fusion - however, they have a SE with a Sport Appearance Package that she does like and it addresses some of the issues she had with the regular SE verison. Today at the All-GM Nationals show in Carlisle, Chevy offered test drives and I took out the 2LT 4cyl Malibu. While I prefer the 3.5L V6 in my AURA better, the 2.4L 4cyl was decent (now it's up to teh wife to see for herself since she didn't go with me today). She likes the Vibe GT's performance and price <$21k>; I'd rather spend a little more and get a little bit bigger car with nicer features (Fusion SE Sport Appearance <$22k> or Malibu 2LT <$24k>). And I haven't even factored in the G6 GT sedan yet to the mix!!!

Derek, what's wrong with the Fleetwood (if anything)? Does it need any work, cosmetic, mechanical, etc? Feel free to PM this info if you don;t want to post it out here in the public's view. I saw at Carlisle today a beautiful dark cherry FTW Brougham and I couldn't stop thinking about your car being available for sale. I'm not making any promises, but you know how much I've always wanted one (look at all the PM's I've sent you over the last year alone on local ones I've found for sale!) and seeing as how the wife will be getting her new car soon, maybe I can play with some figures to see if I have anyway possible to buy your Caddy. It would be garage kept and used for family trips and anytime I want to drive a tank. The fact my dad agreed with me today that the FTW is a beautiful "tank of a car" when the FTW drove by us, and the uncanny coincidence that I was surrounded by three - yes, three! - FTW's while out last weekend on Father's Day, maybe it's a sign?

The FTW does run on regular gas, right??? :P

i forgot had you tried a saturn astra XR yet?

what is neat about this thread, people talking about realistic alternatives and everyday decision making factors. Not just getting hung up on what consumer reports says.

I need to try a Vibe GT yet.

On the Aura vs. G6 vs. Malibu debate. I think the 3.5 is still a nice option to have even if the 4 cyls are a great price. So then to me what stalls on the G6 if you don't need a coupe :) is that the Aura interior to me seems so much nicer and more polished than the G6. Even with the G6 versions in tan which is the way to go.

g6 coupe is a pretty car. not in a chick pretty sense, just a very nice coupe design......which nissan of course tried to copy or was it the other way around?

Edited by regfootball

Well, I just asked her about the G6 GT sedan and if she would consider it, and her response was "is it a 4 cylinder?". Arrggghhh!!! She thinks anything other than a 4cyl will automatically be a gas guzzler. And she has been driving the AURA (XE/3.5l V6) daily for the last 2 months and she knows that the gas mileage has been decent (avg 26 MPG, range of 325+ miles). But she's been brainwashed by her coworkers that drive little Toyotas that if your car has anything other than a 4cyl engine, you alone are destroying the planet :rolleyes: So the GT model is out, and showing her the brochure I have of the interior caused her to say "Malibu, Vibe, or Fusion please".

Even more incentive for me to find some extra cash to buy Derek's Fleetwood, drive to her job, and piss off her coworkers with my gas guzzling, battleship-sized tank of a car :AH-HA_wink: :lol::P

Incentives will be the key deciding factor when making the wife's purchase. As of now, we can get 0% financing up to 5 years on the Ford Fusion; outside of the GM Supplier Pricing discount & GM Supplier + Pull-Ahead incentive, along with the one final Envoy lease payment waived, the '08 Malibu and '09 Vibe offer NADA, zip, zilch, nuttin. I'm hoping that GM & Ford want to move some actual dealer inventory for the 4th of July holiday and offer additional great incentives, like 0% financing for 60 months and some cash rebates <wishful thinking, I'm sure>. We're that ready to buy (well, once she decides on the car she wants!!! :lol: ) if the incentives are good. Derek, you're not alone in wanting some incentives to help you make your purchase :thumbsup:

Yes...tell me about it. I've never been one to complain there weren't incentives, but now that I'm actually shopping...more could help. There's little "standout" with the 2008 GM's yet, aside from the 0% on the Cobalts, HHRs, etc. and big cash on the trucks.

It would be SO great if there had been a GM Card earnings bonus right about now and I got it...would be a really nice free chunk to knock some money off a SmartBuy. There's something I never thought I'd say, still--anything to do with a SmartBuy, hah!

Sounds like you're really shopping! I was thinking of trying some Fords Friday, especially as the Ford dealer is even closer to work (next door), but didn't. Nothing I could think of that really made me want to, other than curiosity with the Fusion. On that note...I agree with the Sport edition ones! I was just Fusion inventory browsing this morning, and if one interested me, it would be a Sport:

2.jpg

On the Fleetwood...nothing outwardly wrong with it, and yes, runs happily on REGULAR. I'm pretty sure it needs new front calipers to cure a noise & grabbing issue, but that's small, and it's also due for it's full or partial tune up. For 133k, it's had next to nothing I think, and this LT1 has impressed me overall more than any other engine we've had--a powerful beast that can be efficient and also much smoother and quieter than even our newer 5.3L Vortec trucks. Idles like a Lexus, too, which even freaked my mother out once she drove it ("I thought it died, but it was just silent when I stopped").

I think I could have sold it by now if I actually got it listed and didn't only talk about it, or would actually put the For Sale signs in it, but haven't. Friday alone--in its always cleaned and wiped down daily state--I stopped to get coffee, and coming back out, a guy in a last gen Accord waiting for his wife rolled his window down and said "That's a really nice car, what year is it?" I told him and he said it looked incredible, which I followed with "Yeah, and I'm selling it." "REALLY? How many miles?" I said 133k and he just complimented me on it again and back up with the window.

Few cars, especially for how little I paid 2.5 years ago, could get the attention it does. The car as bought was helped immensely by being a garaged and well cared for Caddy, but further detailing and the wheel setup are what has taken it to a new level of wow. That's how I get the mixed feelings looking at it, but it's time to go, as I've said before, to another caring home where it doesn't have to be a daily--but definitely could still be.

Image00026.jpg

I will be contacting a few people who had expressed interest before and even talked with me about it, hopefully tonight, and finally getting some ads up in the next couple of days. Based on the daily reactions, I think the window For Sale signs would have it gone very quickly...but I'm so caring with it, I can't get over having people coming up and gawking more to read signs. Weird, huh? But yes, it's still up for grabs, and still my faithful daily commuter.

When my father mentioned today "What are you going to do in the meantime?" which I took to mean the time between it selling (which apparently he thought would be quickly...or something) and getting something to replace it, I think that's figured out. We have a spare, and aside from that, I can take a company truck whenever, wherever I want. So even if it sells tomorrow before I've figured out the replacement 100%...not a biggie.

Edited by caddycruiser

Even more incentive for me to find some extra cash to buy Derek's Fleetwood, drive to her job, and piss off her coworkers with my gas guzzling, battleship-sized tank of a car :AH-HA_wink: :lol::P

Fine with me! :AH-HA_wink:

On that 4-cyl front...after being so dead set on 4-cyl being a requirement, especially an Ecotec if GM, I'm a bit at odds still with my probability of going V6. Should have known driving such a fun and shockingly powerful car would have me flipped, but it could be worse. I think a 3.5L should do quite well, or at least tends to. I still wonder too what, if any, difference in that great power there is between a G6 and an Aura with the engine...or even an Impala.

Oh, and with the Fleetwood...I drive it to work and back and then out and around at lunch 5 days a week. It's a 13 mile each way drive, in the 45-60 range depending on traffic. First week I actually averaged 19.1, then last dropped to about 16.7, and I think I've gone back up this last time. Friends with the same cars in freshly tuned up mode honestly get 23-27 on the highway, and most all average around that 17-19'ish around town.

i forgot had you tried a saturn astra XR yet?

what is neat about this thread, people talking about realistic alternatives and everyday decision making factors. Not just getting hung up on what consumer reports says.

I need to try a Vibe GT yet.

On the Aura vs. G6 vs. Malibu debate. I think the 3.5 is still a nice option to have even if the 4 cyls are a great price. So then to me what stalls on the G6 if you don't need a coupe :) is that the Aura interior to me seems so much nicer and more polished than the G6. Even with the G6 versions in tan which is the way to go.

g6 coupe is a pretty car. not in a chick pretty sense, just a very nice coupe design......which nissan of course tried to copy or was it the other way around?

Yes, it has turned into a great thread. Lots of my too long writing and debating, but a really good discussion of real-world nice to drive, nice looking, and efficient daily vehicles.

I agree on the interiors too. Nothing stood out badly to me in the G6 that afternoon, other than maybe the flat and bare plastic starkness of the center console and armrest. Well, and the older radio and climate controls, but I kind of liked those back to my '07 Malibu rental days. If anything, the G6 has the best domestic Epsilon door panels, as on the cloth models in particular, large portions of the sculpted panels are trimmed in the same cloth and the overall layout and feel are better than either the all plastic Aura or Malibu. All are solid and comfortable, but another unexpected finding.

Climbing in mom's '08 Malibu afterwards, I still really am enthralled by the look and feel of this interior most of all the E's, but I like the G6 coupes as much but in a different way. Red lighting has been another thing I've never been hot on, but no biggie, and it fits with the Pontiac theme.

Just get the G6 coupe, then again I am Pontiac man at heart. They are a very sexy car, and not everyone owns one. That is what I love about my Torrent.

EVERY time I see a black or gray coupe with the 18" wheels on the road or wherever I can't help but go "Oooh...". Enterprise special G6 sedans are EVERYWHERE, but the coupe still does stand out as pretty cool...and not nearly as common.

Saw a black convertible (very similar, with the top up) at a light today, and lost track of driving. Hah.

Today I was thinking Fusion more as I reconsidered the engine size and economy and also the deals possible (cheaper than a G6), but still don't give me the zing those coupes do. I already played around on the GM inventory sites searching about 5 surrounding states for matches I might like, too :AH-HA_wink:

But alas, no news on that front. I've kept myself entirely away from the dealer since Thursday, after promising to be back. I'm decided but undecided. I think the look, options, power, feel, etc. are all me, I just can't fully be sure for the price (worth it...but...) and also the real fuel economy with the 3.5L and apparently G6 GT specific gears for stronger punch and less efficiency, vs. the whole "gotta have a 4-cyl" I started with. Just don't want something I'll now be paying on but then regret, even if it's a blast.

Edited by caddycruiser

I can tell you haven't driven the Solstice yet. :AH-HA_wink:

Hah, really? :AH-HA_wink:

The only one CLOSE by is the black GXP at "my dealer", but it's inside and the display...otherwise, sure, they would have let me have it for the day like any car. On that note, I think one would still be fun, and taking a survey at work (yes, really) "fun, sporty, convertible" came up several times, but the practicality makes me wonder. Well, only a tad, as I still check out the used listings daily.

Seriously though, while I'm still living at home, if I have to hear one more time "you REALLY need to get something new and smaller and better on gas, and, and, and...", I'll run out and do it. Today was funny, as even my mother had seen and heard the 72 hour sale mantra and not only sent me an email at work about it but said more than once tonight it would be a great time and "don't have to pay interest". This was also the time I got the talk that I don't "need" all the fancies like a sunroof, leather, etc. to which I laughed. Sure, but as I said, 13 years old or not, it's stunning, and impossible to go from a Fleetwood...to a base Cobalt, for instance. I'm really trying to figure out what I truly can go without, but don't want to scrimp too much. Otherwise, why bother, other than the newness.

I'm pepped up again after a tiring weekend, to do more shopping, so we'll see. My only choices during the day are the 3 domestic makers, 1 of which I won't touch with a 10ft pole (well, almost), the other (Ford) that I'm intrigued by but not "gotta", and GM that I can't--despite my efforts--seem to get away from. Actually, in that regard, the right dealer and favorite friend and salesperson there are why. Going to play with some numbers again tonight, and again try to maybe email those of you interested in the Fleetwood (after promising and never doing it...yet).

Speaking about Ford, how about a Fusion? Those are about as reliable as they come. And since it's a domestic, you can find a gently used one for half the MSRP. Ford has a CPO program, too.

As I've said before...DEFINITELY thought about it. Popular choice, and to standout, I really like the SE's and SEL's with the Sport package. The wheels, spoiler, and interior "red" really pump it up a few levels. Great driving car, too, without even the sometimes typical GM Epsilon clunks and such.

There is a dealer 2 doors down from my work, but I just never go over there :rolleyes:

Fusions are nice..I drove both the 4 and 6, they are pretty nice...

Not sure about the G6 though....I can't stand those ricer packages....

Though the deals on them are not bad...

Hah, yeah. I've been SO averse to the G6 for so long, I'm still at internal odds over "did I REALLY like it that much?" But I did, at least the coupe. Right now I'm in the whole what the heck do I want vs. what do I want to pay stage again, and trying to point myself in some direction. Who knows, at this point (okay, not, but seems like it) I'll just have the Fleetwood for the second decade of its life as a daily. Hah.

Camaro with a V6 or a G6 GT Coupe with a V6 would be nice as well. I personally would flag the Ford because alot of people own one and go with a Pontiac G6 Coupe GT.

Yes, that is true...the less common, the better

I stand by my last suggestion.

Eh, I really like them, but not something I really HAVE to wait around for. If doing GM and a lease, by the time it's ending, would be a perfect time to check one out after they've settled a bit.

Edited by caddycruiser

The wife and I discussed the Ford Fusion SE with Sport Appearance Package yesterday... we came to the conclusion that while the Sport Appearance Package adds more flair to the Fusion, and the 0% interest for 60 months is a great benefit, the car itself is not really a standout and gives off a bit of the "boring" attitude I find with the Camry and Accord (and my 2004 Malibu LT). Seeing as how the G6 has the 0% for 72 months offer, she said she'd test drive one this week just to "see what it's like". She likes the VUE out of everything, and it's in the 72-hour sale - BUT, the gas mileage would be against us with her 5 day, 320 mile commute to work routine (not considering weekend usage + other driving needs). I'm still waiting until next week, hoping that the 4th of July incentives extend to the Vibe for her.

caddycruiser, I really want your Fleetwood but until the wife gets her new car and my paychecks start again (July; this part of teaching sucks), we have no cash to our name right now and I got the lecture about spending money we don't have AGAIN. Please keep me in mind if it doesn't sell anytime soon :AH-HA_wink:

GMTruckGuy74 - Hah, yes, got it. I keep thinking I should at least drive a Fusion...but then that I'd have similar thoughts to everyone else.

The 0% thing is enticing, though I still want to lease for my situation...or at least desired situation. Nothing down, lower payments, and turn it in at the end with no worries. I think. Then again, if the price is right alone, a 0% loan works out nicely too, even without anything down...well, to a certain extent.

That said, there is something else new and intriguing. What? Leftover (and really leftover...) 2007 G6 coupes. There's a handful and several that aren't that far, in particular the now defunct GTP trims. I like these as they were pre-GXP batmobiles, and essentially look like a GT with the 18's...yet also have the 3.6L. Hah, not exactly the efficient little Ecotec I was looking towards again or even the 3.5L, but fun. All the dealers with them ($28k stickers) are quoting $22.5k. The problem? Being so old now, they're good cash deals, but no good GM financing and not possible to lease or SmartBuy anymore.

In the mood to go shopping again today. Maybe.

Edited by caddycruiser

I'm really back to the G6 coupe again and stopped at my dealer for lunch (if nothing else, we like to chat). No busier than usual, just a few retirees, including some looking for "lightly used Buicks". Hah.

That said, if I go G6, I've been trying to nail down color. Her (sales) and I do think the White Diamond is quite the "pretty" color (and "from Cadillac" as she said), yet I flip-flop. Looks great, but, eh. Then there's Dark Steel Gray which is the same as our Malibu and which I really like. Also, Blue-Gold, which sort of came out of nowhere...but I like it. Also silver, but everyone has Silver. And Black Granite, which I really like, as it's black (wow...) but pearl to add a cool effect and not as instantly swirl-ific, yet also dark-dark, hot, etc. I'm still pretty set on the 5-spoke 18" wheels. Otherwise, yay or nay on sunroof...another hmm. Knocks a grand off, but I like it, but I don't know.

Hmm, hmm :scratchchin: All this color and options deciding, on an impulse buy car, until I change my mind, hah.