Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

It's NEW new car time...perhaps

GMTG: With your car being white diamond as well, you should probably take note of the tire shine issue. Washing the car off, particularly around the wheel wells, is a good idea (I can see if you don't want to wash off the whole thing).

I saw your other post already regarding the staining, and I am glad you mentioned that otherwise I would have waited until the weekend to clean her car. The first thing I thought when we saw the car before signing the papers was that they put way to much tire spray on it; of course the ride home in the rain made a mess out of that job. I told her to be home a little earlier tonight and to watch my younger son so I can give the car the bath it needs without interuption :lol:

I have a spray can of tire spray with an adjustable nozzle (Meguire's Hot Tire shine). That should work okay still by spraying it on a cut-to-size sponge, right?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a spray can of tire spray with an adjustable nozzle (Meguire's Hot Tire shine). That should work okay still by spraying it on a cut-to-size sponge, right?

That's EXACTLY the stuff I used, after Stoner's More Shine Less Time for years but it always seemed to sling without a wipe, and the Meguiars has a nicer shine (I like shiny tires, actually) and seems to stay on better. I'd actually just spray it on and then do a light wipe. This stuff is a little light and being aerosol might be hard to get enough on a sponge to really do much, I think.

I washed my car this morning quickly and sprayed the Meguiars on with no wipe after, sat for 30 minutes, and headed off to work. So far, no noticeable sling, but there's probably a little itty bit. I'll have to perfect my technique again too, with white.

I'm already itching to do a full detail again on mine...clay and all, just because. At least it seems to have a decent coat of wax so far, you know, part of that $2k Jersey dealer "package".

I'm wondering if I have to wait to wax the wife's car? According to the factory sticker on the door jamb, the car was manufactured in June... should I wait a month or two? I know when you have a car painted (due to repairs or for whatever reason) they tell you to wait some specified amount of time so that the paint can cure correctly. I'd like to protect the paint ASAP if I can.

I saw your other post already regarding the staining, and I am glad you mentioned that otherwise I would have waited until the weekend to clean her car. The first thing I thought when we saw the car before signing the papers was that they put way to much tire spray on it; of course the ride home in the rain made a mess out of that job. I told her to be home a little earlier tonight and to watch my younger son so I can give the car the bath it needs without interuption :lol:

Yes, that would be fine. I assume this is a spray bottle like Windex or similar? That is what I use, if that's not what you are talking about. Spraying and wiping would probably be ok, I just perfer the sponge method. It's more tedious and time-consuming, but it gives a better end product, I think. Even with the smallest of breeze (you could put the car in the garage, though), the tire shine will blow and miss the tire, and you'll have little idea where all of it went on the car. The sponge method gets rid of any breeze factoring in to the tire shine getting blown all over the car, and it also gets rid of any user error when spraying. I also like to use it because it keeps it off the wheels, if you were to spray and let the excess run.

Also, yes you can wax the car. The dealership probably already did unless you didn't have them do so. We detailed every car unless it was sold on a Saturday and the buyer wanted to drive it home that day (there were no detailers there on Saturdays). Otherwise, unless the person just wanted to sign the papers and drive away, all cars were detailed. Usually when they came off the truck we would detail them as well, unless we had lots of other cars to do when the new ones came.

Okay, I take back what I said about the Meguiars Hot Shine aerosol. It did sling a tad, but I think if I start doing even one wipe afterwards, we'll be good. This morning it was a little too fresh when I started to roll, and also with a white car, I probably saw it in a way tonight that I otherwise wouldn't on my previous silver or the gray 'Bu. No biggie...and just LOVING the WD. It's white, but so rich and elegant. And the wheels are gorgeous--though my father, finally looking at the car more, asked if they were the same as on mom's 'Bu. Similar, but no.

First day driving it to work and around, and just love. Also it was right around 80 and not humid so PERFECT time for cracked windows, open roof, and no air...and now I'm also so glad I did end up with a sunroof after briefly considering the same car without. Big difference inside, and I've wanted one for a long time.

Still seems like I'm getting incredible gas mileage according to the readouts (the same system was dead on in my '07 'Bu, so I assume the same here), though a 1/4 of a tank disappeared somewhere. Probably just smaller tank newness, but we'll see. Related to this, kind of, right after I left home this morning less than a mile down the road I heard a chime and looked down to see "Check Gas Cap" on the radio. Bizarre, but I pulled over and did so and it was already more than clicked. Didn't come back on, so who knows. Otherwise, all seems well. Actually, I think I have a slight sunroof rattle when open or closed (seems to stop if I press on the headliner area right behind or on the shade, that I noticed the first day. Slight, but heard it. Drum tight everywhere else. And I just love how it drives. Though my Fleetwood was HUGE, with the full frame and V8 underneath, the front legroom never was that deep...and now I can stretch out so much especially with the coupe layout and the great long doors, it's just perfect. And in a way even an Epsilon sedan wasn't.

My father's reaction has been more than pleasant and he was actually helping me find various items for the Fleetwood I need to dig up before it leaves. Stood and talked about the car with me, and he asked WHY I bought THAT. Not that he didn't like it "But I thought you didn't like GM?" I was a little puzzled, but said no, and after driving several things (albeit only GM) this was the one car that just fit and I WANTED. To the extent that I even don't miss the Caddy now, other than a beautiful landmark.

Only little gripes might be the stereo, as for an upgraded Monsoon (whatever that is) it still sounds fairly muddy at least compared to the Pioneer I've been used to, but still working on it. And, of course, the slight sunroof area noise but that seems simple and I'll try to get that taken care of soon.

And of course, more pics. First, the driveway brood, now updated. The Roadmaster should be in place of my Fleetwood, but this is how our arrangement (and what a pain in the arse it is), is set up:

Image00003.jpg

And them mine, all alone again:

Image00005.jpg

Image00009.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Image00013.jpg

Image00020.jpg

Image00021.jpg

Image00022.jpg

Image00024.jpg

As for the pinstripe, I still actually really like it, and it's well done. Not for everyone, but very thin and on a car that's so clean and pure of crap as it is, it's one small and dainty detail.

Mr. cruiser, you have a lot of warranty left. Sometimes a new car has noises that settle themselves, without interference (and disassembly of the area to check for the source of the noise). I'd recommend letting the sunroof issue ride for a month or two, if it doesn't settle itself, then you can mention it to your service department and have it looked at. Just about every new vehicle I've purchased has had some sort of disconcerting noise at first, but they all went away on their own. I hate noises and rattles in a new vehicle, so I feel your slight twinge of pain.

Mr. cruiser, you have a lot of warranty left. Sometimes a new car has noises that settle themselves, without interference (and disassembly of the area to check for the source of the noise). I'd recommend letting the sunroof issue ride for a month or two, if it doesn't settle itself, then you can mention it to your service department and have it looked at. Just about every new vehicle I've purchased has had some sort of disconcerting noise at first, but they all went away on their own. I hate noises and rattles in a new vehicle, so I feel your slight twinge of pain.

Exactly, which is why I'm not too perturbed about it--just noticed when being picky. With 200 miles, something very well may just need to settle. It's such a slight noise and everything else is silent, no biggie.

Exactly, which is why I'm not too perturbed about it--just noticed when being picky. With 200 miles, something very well may just need to settle. It's such a slight noise and everything else is silent, no biggie.

Okay, take this back too. It's getting worse and taking my brother for a mile long spin tonight with the roof open, it sounds like something just isn't cinched down in the assembly somewhere with a constant light rattle. Radio is always on, but probably may still take it in or poke around myself.

But no biggie, small thing. Finally, today more people at work noticed and I was asked to show it off. The best ones? "Sexy car." "That's a really hot car." "I love the color." Yes :thumbsup:

And according to the DIC, still a 24+ mpg average with lots of red lights and poking around. But I also drove the Fleetwood again tonight to give it a whirl...WHAT a difference.

But I also drove the Fleetwood again tonight to give it a whirl...WHAT a difference.

When's it leaving for it's new home? I'd love to take it for a spin myself before it goes (if it's not too late, that is). Feel like swinging by southern NJ with it??? :lol: :AH-HA_wink:

When's it leaving for it's new home? I'd love to take it for a spin myself before it goes (if it's not too late, that is). Feel like swinging by southern NJ with it??? :lol: :AH-HA_wink:

Hah, perhaps, but not likely. Title is signed and about to be sent, with insurance dropping and plate removal to come, probably tomorrow. We're just waiting to hear from the trucking company. I made the reservation Monday, and just have to wait to get a message back that a truck is scheduled and for when. HOPING it's as soon as possible, because our driveway is about to explode and the friend who bought it sold the car it is replacing the same day as he bought mine, which is to be picked up the 14th. That's his daily driver as mine will also be, so we're hoping it gets rolling ASAP. Holiday or not, we'll see and hope. I just gave it another quick wash tonight after the random monsoon, and put the cover on it, awaiting. Tomorrow would be perfect...

Also realized, what's funny is I can still park the Fleetwood without a second thought and have trouble with the G6, at least a bit. Harder to see out of and no seeing the corners anymore, hah! But then again, I can whip it in and out of spaces without really worrying about carving a corner off either.

Though I expected him to be steamed, I think my father even loves it. I'm sure it's the combination of clean, uncluttered (big fan) looks AND his favorite color, White Diamond. He's enjoyed the look of mom's Malibu too, though not the gray or the 4-cyl. I've seen him outside staring and poking around each several times the past two days, and just starting conversations about them. Now, like I told my saleslady, if ONLY I'd ever get his foot in a new car dealer for 3 seconds. Moans about the dinosaur Roadmaster and frequent issues, yet still refuses to have a payment on anything even if it were barely in the 3 digits. I can appreciate that, and he has zero debt, but jeez. Something like a base HHR LS would be perfect for him, I think. But never...