The Search For the Beater/Daily Driver

wellllllllll ive been searching for a daily driver for a while, so i can take the nova off the road to work on it. While i was searching for a `cheap,6 banger daily driver, i found a BOF, RWD, V8 toy that i just couldnt pass up.

It looks like BV's beast, only it actually moves under its own power :P

while most G-Bodys locally are rotted by now, this one has escaped the ravages of time.

i went to go look at it yesterday, gave the guy a deposit and i pick it up on sunday :D i cant wait!

heres the info from the craigslist Ad, until i get some pics of my own... i can tell you, it looks even better then the pics!

1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

20K on orginal rebuilt motor.

Buckets console.

442 handle suspension.

442 original chrome rims.

Car in excellent condition.

Repainted to original burgandy color with mirror-like finish.

A/C works great.

Tires in excellent condition.

New radiator, catalytic convertor, alternator, fan clutch, and water pump.

Car rides, feels, and looks like new.

Car interior very clean.

Car has all the options and looks of a 442.

307 high output V8 engine

Interior looks even better then the pictures show

010100011500010203200806031e8e86842f6cd6

01150801030901041120080603448c5dd00d44c1

01010701020301161320080603a993a72ec4bcc1

01010001020901160120080603cb3b8178cbd58b

the only rust on the whole car is two small spots on the back bumper, and my parts guy i bought most of my Nova Parts from said it wouldnt cost more then $100...

i probably could have found a cheaper beater that would have gotten better mileage, but i could not resist a car this clean. sunday cant come soon enough.. i cant wait to get it home!!!!!

Wow, what a nice car that is! With all the stuff I've had, I often wonder how I still have not yet managed to own an old G-body, be it nice OR just a beater. I really need to own one soon I think.

How much was/is it?

I'll say this. My '86 Regal driving brother is jealous...even without knowing a price :AH-HA_wink: I'm not a fan of these cars (well, aside from looks and such), but no denying this example is one of the best around.

It looks as nice as my '85 Caprice. Very nice. And by 1986 they had done a few things to them to modernize them a bit while still staying true to its mission. Good luck. A few things may come up as you drive it but they should be easy to take care of. Working A/C is a BIG plus in my book and a rare thing to find it seems like.

cort, remember my friend whose blue 84 Monte SC was on the front of MonteCarloSS.com for the longest time? well me and himm might call ourselves the AARP Racing Team for now on, rocking the grandpa rides! :P

LOL!

Ya know, I admit ... I had forgotten that you and he are friends. But, now that you mention it, yeah, I do remember...he he.

And, since I do now remember, you know I expect pics of your Olds with his MC ;).

BUT...be careful about calling yourself that. After all, my daily is my '87 MC LS...and while I bought it from an older couple, I don't see myself as rocking a grandpa ride ;).

*pauses*

Course, I've never attracted a female, either.......hmmmm.......

*sighs*

LOL!

Ya know, I admit ... I had forgotten that you and he are friends. But, now that you mention it, yeah, I do remember...he he.

And, since I do now remember, you know I expect pics of your Olds with his MC ;).

BUT...be careful about calling yourself that. After all, my daily is my '87 MC LS...and while I bought it from an older couple, I don't see myself as rocking a grandpa ride ;).

*pauses*

That makes two of us. Maybe someday some woman will like us.

*sighs*

LOL!

*pauses*

*sighs*

lol... yeah me and him have been friends since practicallywhen i was born, living on the same block.ill be getting some good pics soon enough....

its a deep burgandy... bv, if you can, post a pic of the Beast... i think mine is darker then yours... and if i need parts, ill know who to askkk

Well, that depends. It's been repainted, correct? The Beast has not... I'm sure it's faded a bit. But true, it definitely looks darker.

cutlassspringwashyo1.jpg

As is me. I always liked the 1978 on mid sized RWDs as well as the B-bodies. I did look at a 1978 Malibu once but decided against it.

Can't wait to see more of it! My Regal driving brother still is jealous.

One of our neighbor's put his '88 Monte Carlo SS up for sale a couple of days ago after it had sat in the driveway for a long time, and he replaced it with a really cool '05 Park Avenue Ultra. I think it was $2000 OBO in "fair condition" (ad in the paper), and the bro said it wasn't bad at all. He wanted it...and I jokingly said sure, just suprise everyone and have TWO G-bodies in the driveway for a total of 6. He didn't, thankfully. By mid yesterday it was gone, but not sure if that meant it really went away or what.

Have fun with picking it up! :AH-HA_wink:

picked it up today, im giddy as a school girl!

car cruised like a olds should, soft but planted at the same time ( its no corner carver, but the F41 handling package feels a ton better then the nova with no sway bars!)

i have to get my friend to take some more pics, unless i can get my camera working, but ill get some soon... tomorrow im off to the DMV to register the car, so i can have some fun cruising...

list of quirks / problems to fix sooner or later

1. Headliner... starting to sag like old GMs do... its not terrible, but id rather get it fixed...

2. Power door locks... seem not to work.. just an annoyance as well

the only plans for now are to find a cheap 442/Hurst spoiler, otherwise, cars gonna stay stock for now....

related question... anybody know of a site with GM RPO codes? thanks

Good luck with your Oldsmobile. Expect a few things to crop up as you start driing it but as a whole it should be reliable. The Olds engine while not being speedy is durable. Mine in the Bonneville at 116,000 doesnt burn a drop of oil. Watch the 200 4R transmission. They were better by the time your was made but they arent the most durable. Mine has about 13,000 miles on a rebuild. The R-4 A/C compressor is also another thing that isnt as good as it should be.

Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS