regfootball

FORD FLEX PRESS REVIEWS

30 posts in this topic

I've seen two on the road (white and black), and they ain't pretty. I was hoping to like it on the road, but from the front it looks like a Taurus X and from the side/behind it looks out of proportion. It looked better in black with black roof. Not impressed. Hopefully America's sheep will like it better. It's not designed for me anyway.

it is unique. that is for sure. i am guessing the interior amenties and cabin feel will determine if the shape is worth it.

My dealer has one in stock, allegedly. The lot was blocked off because they were having it re-sealed today.

It's a Scion xB-L.

I think this is horrendous.

Edited by Paolino

i waas skeptical, but this thing has presence in person. its the scale of it. its not gargantuan like an SUV. its small and tidy, but huge inside. definitely a great minivan alternative.

through the glass, the interior has lots of visual interest that does not come off well in photos.

Edited by regfootball

I drove one, and I was very impressed. My only complaint is that it isn't as roomy inside as I expected. It is much less roomy than a minivan.

I'm lovin' it. This is really the modern, hip version of the quintessential '70s family wagon. I love the concept behind it, and the execution is pretty good, too, especially in Limited trim with 20 inchers, Vista Roof, contrast roof, brushed aluminum tailgate, and Xenons. It's an appliance I wouldn't mind driving, because like those cool refrigerators from the 1940s, it's also a piece of art.

I drove one, and I was very impressed. My only complaint is that it isn't as roomy inside as I expected. It is much less roomy than a minivan.

initially i was upset about the lack of cargo volume on this thing compared to the typical minivan. But after seeing one, i think i can say that PASSENGERS won't really see detriment. The front seat looks comfy and you get the benefit of a true console and floor shifter. The second row has acres of head and legroom with a comfy upright posture and honestly much better footroom and footplacement then say, a sto-n-go van with a high floor and limited footspace and oddly shaped backrests. The third row may not be as large as the lambas, but looks great for two and access seems good, and you can slide the second row forward. The cargo area you actually use most of the time behind the third row has a low deep well perfectly sized for paper grocery bags and overall the shape of the cargo area is rectangular and doesn't have sloping pillars to distract the mess.

Minivans gain their enormous cargo #'s from the additional height and width of the cargo area, and so i can see where that is a concern if you want say a clear 48" wide x 48" high by 8 foot long open chamber to haul a couch. As it is though, the Flex's is only off maybe 6" in height and width clear (even though i hear the flex will swallow a sheet of plywood up over the wheels) and is maybe not as long either. So you may not get a full couch in the Flex, but the other 95% of the time you drive it, it won't feel as huge as a big large school bus like a minivan, and the passenger accommodations are nearly the equal.

To me it depends how often you haul lots of cargo would be the trigger for you. I've driven lots of minivans and they all seem rather imposing, the size of them. This may the perfect blend of third row utility and a less imposing wrapper its in.

It took my dad awhile to accept me after I got the Aztek. I imagine he might just flip out when I show up in one of these Flex's.

Edited by regfootball

I've seen three up close, except that I had to peer inside to look at the interior (didn't get a chance to sit in one). Like I said someplace else (don't remember where), I also saw a Scion xB right after leaving the dealer. I can assure you that NO ONE would confuse the two.

One thing that strikes me is how tall it isn't. It's not much taller than a Taurus sedan. The size, though, does give me more hope for the upcoming Lincoln MKT.

Saw my first Flex on the road the other day and it's awesome looking.

I've seen three up close, except that I had to peer inside to look at the interior (didn't get a chance to sit in one). Like I said someplace else (don't remember where), I also saw a Scion xB right after leaving the dealer. I can assure you that NO ONE would confuse the two.

One thing that strikes me is how tall it isn't. It's not much taller than a Taurus sedan. The size, though, does give me more hope for the upcoming Lincoln MKT.

yeah, it's definitely not a tall SUV kind of thing.

Just another Steroid filled Station wagon version. Not good for us 6'6" tall guys, more for an entry level family of 5'8" tall average. Over all just another average auto from Ford. Like most stuff, I will pass on this unit also.

word from a guy on BON is that the Flex has ENDLESS head room. tall folks have a bunch of headroom apparently.

Just another Steroid filled Station wagon version. Not good for us 6'6" tall guys, more for an entry level family of 5'8" tall average. Over all just another average auto from Ford. Like most stuff, I will pass on this unit also.

Since this is based on the D3 platform (Taurus et al.), I would think that tall guys would have PLENTY of space in there.

I know that I'm 5'10", and I feel tiny inside the Taurus. Almost.

Since this is based on the D3 platform (Taurus et al.), I would think that tall guys would have PLENTY of space in there.

I know that I'm 5'10", and I feel tiny inside the Taurus. Almost.

I'm 6'3" and I have more than enough headroom in the 500/Montego/Freestyle/Taurus/X/Sable family. I don't imagine there'd be any difference in the Flex. Except for the dumbass name, I like it a lot. Shoulda stuck with Fairlane.

I'm 6'3" and I have more than enough headroom in the 500/Montego/Freestyle/Taurus/X/Sable family. I don't imagine there'd be any difference in the Flex. Except for the dumbass name, I like it a lot. Shoulda stuck with Fairlane.

i am 6'-1" and test drove a taurus X last night (long story). anyways, the x has tons of head room with the sunroof. the seats in the first two rows of the X sit higher than even my 500. the flex is higher than the taurus X even i understand.

bottom line. there are many vehicles out there with headroom and legroom issues. I guarantee this is not one of those vehicles.

for the record, the taurus X is a better drive than the outlook and the second row seats are more upright and comfy as well. the floor pan is much lower in the second row. The outlook second row floor is at truck height. the X, its at floor height. the flex is the same. even with a lower overall height i predict the second row in the flex is far more comfy in leg and head room for passengers than the GM lambadas.

I had driven a freestyle long ago, i was blown away at how carlike and agile the Taurus X is and how panoramic the view is out of it. I expect the Flex to take that and build on it. the tau x second row can use more leg room and the Flex gives you that.

Edited by regfootball

test drove one over lunch. will post full impressions later. reviews I have read I can now confirm as fairly accurate for the most part. this definitely is among the most unqiue vehicles i have been in. Another confirmation, quiet, smooth, tons of room, but does feel large......larger and different then the Taurus X. Wonder if 'x' sales will increase with Flex showroom buzz traffic.

Really liked it, just might be 'too much'.

confirming, head room is UNENDING. even with the sunroof i bet an NBA star could easily clear the roof.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room