I saw...

AAS

Just this sunday, I was at LAX (Los Angeles International Airport) when I noticed a couple guys taking pictures (with some pretty high end equipment) outside the Delta Airlines check-in counter. So... my curiosity made me stop and take a look at what they could possibly be shooting. What do I see? A big African American (trying to be PC instead of just saying "black") dude, two women in their 30's-40's, and a younger girl with platinum blonde hair and a big hat. Turns out the girl is Ashlee Simpson with a bodygaurd etc. The only reason I recognized Ashlee is because I had seen her on the Larry King show the night before, and noticed the really blonde hair. It turns out airports are a great place to see famous people, considering I once ran into ex-Dodger manager Tommy Lasorda, got an autograph from O.J. Simpson (back in the late 80's), saw Leonardo DiCapprio (w/ famous gf) getting harassed by the TSA, saw Joane Rivers... So... what famous people have you guys run into?

The closest I've ever come was being 20 feet from Steven Tyler at an Aerosmith concert. Famous people don't normally come by my neck of the woods. AAS, when you have a free moment you may want to take a short trip to Coronado...I remember the tour guide saying that quite a few celebrities have homes there.

Baseball fans might remember Rick Ankiel , a few years ago he was pitching for the Cardinals in the playoffs and threw a bunch of wild pitches. He never really got his control back, and re-started his career as an outfielder. A good part of this season he played for the AA team who stadium is like 10 miles from my house, I've heckled him many times and run into him around town a few times. I've also seen Brad Pitt, he's from here and the local media makes a huge deal anytime he's in town. I just think its a pain in the ass because news vans go wherever he goes, and if that means a movie premier, the theater lot is full and I have to park a mile away to go see whatever crappy movie my gf wants to see.

A few Bruins players.... the bald guy (police chief?) from "NYPD Blue" and David Boreanas come to mind. I'd love to meet some childhood hero of mine or a fascinating character from when I was a kid like David Hasselhof, Mr.T, Arnold Schwartzeneger or (not that it's possible) John Wayne or John Lennon. I love U2 but often hate Bonno's politics (esp. the anti-gun crap) so I'm all set meeting him. How about chillin wiht James Hetdfield? He's into 1st gen. Camaros you know! :)

I've never really seen any famous people besides rockstars at concerts. I was about 150 feet away from the whole Metallica crew last August and I saw Stephen Pearcy and Bobby Blotzer of Ratt, Don Dokken, Erik Turner and Jerry Dixon of Warrant, Jeff Keith of Tesla and other 80s stars at a summer bash a couple years ago. Other than that, I've never really met any celebrities or anything.

a couple -i used to have lunch with the olsen twins about a year ago, mary kate was my fav she was easier to get along with -theres thats woman who owns 17 mag dont remember her name (its less common for sure) but i met her and shes really nice -lindsay lohan but it was when she was a kid ive met more but i cant reall recall not as personal as these

I've shook Al Gore's hand. Does that count? lol

[post="34251"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry to hear that dude... :ph34r: :) http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif Edited by Sixty8panther

I talked to Bob Lutz in person ( I think he is famous to me) I almost got ran over by MI Govener Jhon Engler or what ever at Mackinack Island. Lots of sports players. also kevin Harvick.

I met Robert Stempel when I first got my job at GM. I can't recall if he was GM president then or not. That had to be around 1980. I sat behind Charles Bronson on a flight from Chicago to California about 10 years ago. I also was on the same plane as David Letterman going from New York City to Chicago about 8 years ago.

Lets see here.... Spent the weekend with Tony Stewart one time Have met famous race car drivers: Kasey Kane, JJ Yeley, Sammy Swindell, Gary Scelzi, Mark Martin, Jason Leffler, Brenden Gaughan Have met... meathead Vitel, Ken Norton, Sr. I have shaken hands with The Governator.. he is really short and has very soft hands btw LOL.. I have met more, I just can't think of them right now off the top of my head.

Kid Rock, Kirk Maltby, Uncle Kracker. Those are the ones I've hung with.......recently lol Working at a telecommunications place I can't really say who I've "hung out with or met" but there have been some pretty famous individuals. I've also spoken to Mr. Lutz personally as well as Gary Cowger and have been in the same room as Richard Wagoner. The last three names mentioned are the ones that matter the most to me however.

Bill Clinton drove by in his limo when I was at Arlington on either Veteran's Day or Memorial Day years ago... My dad's former Vietnam captain is Barry McCaffrey (who was a four star General during the Gulf War and The Drug Czar during Clinton's 2nd Term). Around the time when he was entitled that title he started some bi-yearly renunions from his troop. Anyway.. on to the point the familys were also invited, the reunions were on a Veteran's or Memorial Day weekend and one of the sites of interest was viewing the Presidential Speech at Arlington so that'd be the 2nd time I saw Clinton and well also met Bary McCaffrey. One thing that was really unique that trip was all the secret service around us all the time.

Jeesh... the good ol' Brookville boulevard. :rolleyes: Let's see... Bam Margera and his posse of Viva La Bammers were in Brookville once. They stayed at the Days Inn. I saw them as Dairy Queen. They were here doing the show for Groundhog's day. Traveled down to Cobblers Knob in Punxsutawney to see Punxsy Phil. Ahh my... lol. *shakes head* Um... a few days ago I saw some guy who used to play for the Oakland Raiders in a bar around here. Tony's Lil Roma, specifically. I forget his name, but he said he went to Penn State and played there. He also said that he either used to or still does own some restaurants in Pittsburgh, I think. Wow... lol. *closes eyes and shakes head* Who else have I seen? Ooh, I saw Alice Cooper with a private couch/tour bus/whatever at McDonald's. That was actually pretty cool, but... ugh, lol. *beats head off of desk* I think 50 cent and his tour bus thingy stopped at the truckstop before... Anyways, Brookville's boulevard seems to be extremely popular with famous people. I've heard so many stories about someone seeing some famous person. I don't know why, either. I've heard from truckers that it's like the midpoint between Chicago and New York... or some other combo of cities. I forget. But yeah... good ol' exit 78 off I80. :P

AAS, when you have a free moment you may want to take a short trip to Coronado...I remember the tour guide saying that quite a few celebrities have homes there.

[post="34239"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've been to Coronado Island a few times, but never spent enough time there to run into anyone special. It's always interesting to just look up and see somebody famous...

I saw Aliens before..... They are preety famous considering Roswell made headlines... so there famous. I sawJoe harington form the good o lions in a pickup truck

• 3 years later...
In San Francisco at JavaOne in '99, I saw Scott McNealy (Sun CEO) and Steve Jobs having lunch in a restaurant, later literally ran into McNealy coming out of a bathroom in Moscone Center.

I've seen John Elway several times in restaurants in Denver, sat at a table next to him a couple of times..

Saw Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey at a BBQ restaurant a couple years ago, driving an Aston Martin DB7 convertible.

Saw former Senator Gary Hart on an airplane once.

Saw Stevie Nicks at a gas station in Scottsdale a few years ago.

Saw actress Linda Gray ('Dallas') in the Southwest line at Phoenix's Sky Harbor Airport a couple years ago.

Met actors Gregory Harrison, Stephanie Zimbalist, and John Bennett Perry (Matthew Perry's dad) when a TV miniseries was being filmed on my family's farm in Ohio 32 years ago..

Dick Vitale at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, President Clinton came to an elementary school in town. Alan Autry (Bubba from In the Heat of the Night) he was mayor of Fresno, a good guy too. Bruce Bowen (NBA SA Spurs) was in the supermarket spending some time with his family here in Fresno. Tim McDonald (49ers probowler) lives and coaches in fresno and owns a restaurant. DeShawn Stevensen (NBA player) I played against him in HS.

QUOTE (capriceman @ Oct 25 2005, 07:42 PM)
I talked to Bob Lutz in person ( I think he is famous to me) I almost got ran over by MI Govener Jhon Engler or what ever at Mackinack Island.

How do you get run down on an Island that doesn't have cars on it? Horse and buggy moving to fast for ya? tongue.gif

the last burb i lived in prior to here, was the same town where Prince has his mansion and studio. one really cold night i decided to return a video to the hollywood video at 11:55 to beat the midnight deadline. no one was in the store except outside was a couple cars in an entourage and bodyguards by the car and inside. the purple one was walking around aloof looking for videos to rent (don't look at him!) and his GF at the time was asking about certain types of rental. He really is a small dude!

i have a picture of me and Geoff Downes from Asia (heat of the moment) and the buggles (video killed the radio star).

not sure why, but i have seen John Randle (ex-viking) three separate times here. once in cub foods, once at the wells fargo bank, and once he was signing autographs at the chrysler ride and drive i went to a couple years ago.

I saw legendary coach Bud Grant at the same Cub foods twice.

i one time was at a bar downtown a yr or two ago when ex viking legend HOF carl eller was there but truth is he liked to go to bars a lot. in fact, he is doing some time in the clink right now for an incident related to getting pulled over and driving. the chicks really dig old athletes too. man-o.

concerts of course i love to get close, like first row if i can but notably about maybe 7 yrs ago now journey played a club gig here in mpls (neals new wife was MNtan) a small venue gig and me and my buddy were like 10 feet from the band the whole gig in this intimate setting. one time 38 special played a gig where i was going to school back when they had no popularity so they literally only sold about 50-100 tickets to the show so it was like 2 feet from eveyrone. you could go pee, or get a new beer, and not lose your place because there was maybe only 2 people behind you. also too, before the donnas had their bigger hits they did a club gig here (when they were all barely 20 or 21 yet i think) in a small room where you were like maybe 10 feet from them. aside from that lots of concerts where you get reasonably close. I just don't remember much memorable about those.

no movie stars though that i can think of. cheryl tiegs is actually one of my wife's relatives. more specifically i think she is my father in laws cousin or something.

the theater my wife worked at in admin, at the time was when actress Amy Adams was there doing shows, i never saw her close (sometimes we would drink in the bar after the shows where the actors would drink too) but saw a cpl shows she was in and she literally stole the show which was hard because there was so many talented actors there. i remember thinking, holy shit this chick is good and holy crap she is hot. Next i know like 2 years later she is in movies and now she is like big star. She is so talented though, deserves every bit of success she has coming. Edited by regfootball

I've seen Nicole Richie walking down Melrose Ave., same area I once saw Tate Donovan.

I saw Victoria Beckham driving her damn Prius in Beverly Hills, looking completely discombobulated.

I saw the chick from the band We Are the Duo (or The Duo) outside a restaurant in Manhattan Beach once (not really famous, though), and about five minutes later saw Charla (of Charla and Mirna) from The Amazing Race down on the pier.

My old house used to be less then a mile from Paul Newman. He used to jog a loop that would go past my house. One time he did it with Robert Redford.

Also Tom cruise used to have a house not to far from me. Saw him drive in and out once or twice

I actually know a couple of current NFL players (Darryl Tapp, James Anderson) from my college days.

Saw a few WWF/E wrestlers (Edge, the Dudley Boyz) in a mall in Cary, NC about 9 years back.

BTW, Satty, I propose that the admins change your membership level to "Resurrector of Ancient Threads." tongue.gif

QUOTE (vonVeezelsnider @ Mar 6 2009, 12:06 AM)
How do you get run down on an Island that doesn't have cars on it? Horse and buggy moving to fast for ya? tongue.gif

you have no idea....

I was standing there talking to someone and i hear the horse and buggy behind me then the buggy hit my back wheel on my bike and i feel over. pretty embarrassing if you ask me.

QUOTE (Josh)
Kid Rock, Kirk Maltby, Uncle Kracker. Those are the ones I've hung with.......recently lol

Working at a telecommunications place I can't really say who I've "hung out with or met" but there have been some pretty famous individuals.

I've also spoken to Mr. Lutz personally as well as Gary Cowger and have been in the same room as Richard Wagoner.

The last three names mentioned are the ones that matter the most to me however.

I thought something smelled a little funny when I clicked on the link to see the first page of this thread.

Kid Rock and Uncle Kracker? I actually forgot how horrible Josh's taste in music was; is he positive he lives in Michigan and not Mississippi?

QUOTE (YellowJacket894 @ Mar 7 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought something smelled a little funny when I clicked on the link to see the first page of this thread.

Kid Rock and Uncle Kracker? I actually forgot how horrible Josh's taste in music was; is he positive he lives in Michigan and not Mississippi?

I remember once waaaaaaay back in the day checking his address on Google Maps, and literally it was right next to a freeway interchange in MI. Like imagine a "corner lot" bordered by two freeways, and his was within like 5 houses of that point.

Hmm, famous people, let's see.......

Can't recall ever meeting or seeing any actors/actresses in my life; all of the famous people I've met have mostly been athletes, mostly from the Boston Bruins when I was young. Got Cam Neely's autograph at the Bruins wives carnival one year, got Lyndon Byers's autograph at a charity event a while back. I also saw Bobby Orr driving his big silver Mercedes one day a few miles out of Boston (he has a home down here and is still involved with the team).

Uhhhhh I saw Hillary Clinton right after she became the First Lady; she was making a speech at one of the local universities and all us grade school kids stood in the yard and waved as her motorcade passed by.

That's about it, really; nothing too special.

Whitney Huston.
Literally 'bumped' into her as she was exiting a Dunwoody, GA Starbucks on the Friday after Thanksgiving 2005. She had her hands full with items she had purchased in the store.
Carried her cappuccino for her to her vehicle and assisted in getting her situated. I recognized her right off the bat. She asked my name and repeated it several times during the course of our brief encounter. Her voice was soft and low with an elegant timbre which caused the sound to float on the cool air of this Southern night. It sounded, and resounds in my memory, as angel's song. A brush with greatness. I realize that Ms. Huston has had an eventful career as the media sees it and I offer no judgement of my own re: Her personal life. I've always admired her considerable vocal talents and will likely continue to do so.

Additionally, I am related to "Kung Fu Panda" co-Director Mark Osborne and his equally talented brother Kent Osborne, writer. Edited by longtooth

QUOTE (YellowJacket894 @ Mar 7 2009, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Regional bias can be a dangerous thing when musical preference is concerned. I've noticed it a lot with Canadians. Often they seem like smart, charming people with generally good taste. Then I find out they really like Nickelback, and I can never look at them the same way again.

Edited to avoid confusion: In no way am I implying that Josh is a smart, charming person who has good taste in anything. Just saying that he seems to be exhibiting regional bias in his musical preference. Edited by Enzora

QUOTE (YellowJacket894 @ Mar 7 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny you say that, but IIRC Kid Rock and Uncle Kracker got their start in Michigan (connected to Eminem, IIRC).

QUOTE (Enzora @ Mar 8 2009, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regional bias can be a dangerous thing when musical preference is concerned. I've noticed it a lot with Canadians. Often they seem like smart, charming people with generally good taste. Then I find out they really like Nickelback, and I can never look at them the same way again.

Edited to avoid confusion: In no way am I implying that Josh is a smart, charming person who has good taste in anything. Just saying that he seems to be exhibiting regional bias in his musical preference.

Funny thing is, I worked with a lot of Canadians from '02-07, very few liked Nickelback--I knew more that liked Rush (which I like a lot) than Nickelback. No one would admit to liking Celine Dion (though a couple guys' wives liked her). FUnny thing is, the biggest Nickelback fan I know is an Ohio State football fanatic that grew up in Montana. (as an aside, every year on the day of Michigan-Ohio State football game, he calls me up to jeer, since OSU usually beats my Michigan (I'm an Ohio native but a Michigan alum..go figure).

Jeri Ryan (7 of 9 on Star Trek Voyager) on a Northwest flight from Philly to Detroit. We sat in 1st class across from each other. She is like my dream of a perfect woman. I learned she was born in Germany, which only enhanced my view of her ...

Oddly I have met both Bush and Obama ...

Joe Biden and I shop at the same Pathmark in Delaware, but our houses are only a mile apart ... smilewide.gif

Edit: I also saw Smokin' Joe Frazier in the same Pathmark on a July day with a full length mink coat on .... wacko.gif

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

QUOTE (Enzora @ Mar 8 2009, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last I checked, about 90% of our population cannot stand Nickleback. The two guys that do enjoy Nickleback are just morons.

QUOTE (YellowJacket894 @ Mar 7 2009, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How did you resist the urge to just violently rip his vocal chords out of his neck?

He was watching his girls play tennis at Stanford and the Boardwalk has concerts on the beach and he was there with his family and my dad spotted him. We were on a walkway above the main area and my dad yelled down to him. He yelled back and threw a football up to my dad and my dad threw it back. I like the guy, he is EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot to mention in this thread I've met and somewhat know one of the original members of Oingo Boingo, Richard Gibbs. His son and I are friends and went to USC together, and we were both Founding Fathers for our fraternity chapter. Edited by Croc