Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Is this an Uncamo'd shot of the New Cobalt?

CSpec

Link to Story

This appears to be a rare, camo-free shot of the 2011 Chevy Cobalt replacement.

The yet-to-be-named compact would ride on the Delta platform and is expected to begin production at General Motors’ Lordstown, Ohio, plant in mid-2010. It’s likely to be revealed it at an auto show this fall.

This car reportedly gets 40 mpg, and with fuel prices soaring, it can’t get here soon enough.

The photos show that it will get what is becoming Chevy’s signature front grille, similar to that on the Malibu. It also has more aggressive headlamps and appears to be a bit larger than the current-generation Cobalt.

It’s being developed by GM’s South Korean unit, with considerable input from North America and Europe. In previous shots of the car, it appeared to wear an Opel badge and grille.

The car is likely to get a version of GM’s turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder global powerplant, adding fuel economy and performance. It will also come in coupe and sedan versions, with the coupe likely to have a sportier vibe.

That C-pillar trim thing is still there, but the trim doesn't even look like it matches. Maybe it is fake?

I hope so. I hate this styling practice. It makes the car look cheap instead of making the roofline more interesting or attractive. I am doubtful that it will disappear, however. If the car is out and about without any camouflage, why would they keep this small patch on the car?

One thing I don't like about Lutz is that he loves to change names with every redesign, which never lets a model build a reputation. Even Hyundai and Kia keep their names in the new generations, even if older versions were terrible.

Yeah, I heard GM-DAT is doing the development with a lot of input from GMNA and GME.

As the article says,

"It’s being developed by GM’s South Korean unit, with considerable input from North America and Europe."

So it's reasonable to assume over the next few years there will probably be Daewoo, Chevrolet, (and Pontiac ?) badged versions of this model. And the next Astra on this platform will be in Opel, Vauxhall, Holden and Saturn flavors, I presume.

And maybe a SAAB 9-1. And probably a Buick Excelle for China. And add a big chrome grille for a HUMMER H4 version (J/K). :)

Edited by moltar

As the article says,

"It’s being developed by GM’s South Korean unit, with considerable input from North America and Europe."

So it's reasonable to assume over the next few years there will probably be Daewoo, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Saturn, Vauxhall, Opel, and Holden badged versions of this model.

I think that's a stretch--Opel and Saturn (and Vauxhall) are getting the Astra from the same platform, though Holden will probably get both this and the Astra.

I think that's a stretch--Opel and Saturn (and Vauxhall) are getting the Astra from the same platform, though Holden will probably get both this and the Astra.

I got the impression this is the next Astra also? (Or on a shared platform with it?)

I got the impression this is the next Astra also? (Or on a shared platform with it?)

Astra is sharing a platform, as is the Saab 9-1 (or the NG Saab 9-3 range, if one believes the rumours that it will be on DeltaII instead of a shorter EpII).

Astra is sharing a platform, as is the Saab 9-1 (or the NG Saab 9-3 range, if one believes the rumours that it will be on DeltaII instead of a shorter EpII).

So Saturn will probably have it's Astra version. I wonder if their will be a Pontiac G5 and it will be badge engineered from the Chevy or more differentiated than the current model.

Edited by moltar

So Saturn will probably have it's Astra version. I wonder if their will be a Pontiac G5 and it will be badge engineered from the Chevy or more differentiated...

Considering how good the propotions are, if they gave it unique styling, maybe AWD, and performance tuning/engines it could work. The cyrrent car is a joke, since it doesn't even get a GXP version...the Chevy is the sportier car.

Maaannnn, as a current Cobalt owner, I wouldn't own that car based on design. I think the Accord is ugly as hell and this looks like a cross between the Malibu and Accord. I would not want to be seen in anything that looks like the Accord at all. They'd have to do a hell of a lot to the SS to make me even consider it style-wise.

By the time this comes out, I wonder how competitive it will be with the segment leaders, i.e. NG Civic, NG Focus, Rabbit/Jetta, etc...

Good question. These are good updates, but not on the level of what they did to the Malibu. Still, it's very hard to tell how a car will do from exterior styling alone. If the interior has a Malibu-esque interior upgrade, it will do very well with this styling. Plus, this version will most likely be much more profitable for GM since it's on the global architecture.

Good question. These are good updates, but not on the level of what they did to the Malibu. Still, it's very hard to tell how a car will do from exterior styling alone. If the interior has a Malibu-esque interior upgrade, it will do very well with this styling. Plus, this version will most likely be much more profitable for GM since it's on the global architecture.

Actually, this is on a completely new platform with new engines and other components, along with the new body and interior. The Malibu was just a redesign on the same platform as the previous one.

Actually, this is on a completely new platform with new engines and other components, along with the new body and interior. The Malibu was just a redesign on the same platform as the previous one.

Yeah, I was referring to how good the upgrades in exterior styling were. I think the Malibu is fantastic (even starting to like the tail) but the Cobalt is just an OK upgrade from what they have now.

Speaking of the Malibu, doesn't the current version have a short life span of only 3 years until the redesign is on the Global Epsilon?

So far I do not like the headlights. And whenever I hear the word "Daewoo", all I can think of is the junk they've sent us so far... from the late 80's Lemans (designed in Germany as an Opel, thrown together in Korea, and sold in the USA) on up to the Suzuki Verona, Reno and Forenza.

So far I do not like the headlights. And whenever I hear the word "Daewoo", all I can think of is the junk they've sent us so far... from the late 80's Lemans (designed in Germany as an Opel, thrown together in Korea, and sold in the USA) on up to the Suzuki Verona, Reno and Forenza.

Yes, it's hard not think Daewoo=$h!e, lower than even Hyundai or Kia. Hopefully, they have been raising their game under GM ownership.

I really don't like it from what I've seen. Those headlights do not flow at all... and the taillights aren't much better. Other than the grill, its pretty nondescript. It's like a mix of Opel Insignia, Mazda3, Chrysler Sebring, Hyundai Sonata and Honda Accord...

Edited by blackviper8891

Are you sure? That really looks like crap (thought it could be the view of the pic)

I'm sure.

The quality of the pic is bad because it was taken from a very long ways away and digitally enlarged.

One of those situations where a less than great quality pic is better than no pic.