Motor Trend 2006 Sport/Utility of the Year

Variance

Anyone seen the way Nissan arranged the rear badging on the xTerra? Looks like crap.

[post="34294"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yea, they don't deserve the award due to substandard rear badging. Seriously, MT needs to judge these things on the merits of the vehicles :rolleyes:

Yea, they don't deserve the award due to substandard rear badging.  Seriously, MT needs to judge these things on the merits of the vehicles  :rolleyes:

[post="34299"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dude, for real, did I say it didn't deserve to win?

From the article, these were the nominees: Ford Explorer, Hummer H3, Hyundai Tucson, Jeep Commander, Kia Sportage, Mercedes-Benz ML, Mercury Mountaineer, Pontiac Torrent, Range Rover Sport, Subaru Tribeca, and the Suzuki Grand Vitara. I actually like the Torrent, but it doesn't improve on anything to last year's Equinox. Besides the Xterra and H3, I don't thnk any of the other vehicles really adds much to the segment.

Just glad it wasn't that hideous hybrid Lexus..

But, of course, it is an asian winner... A sign of the tides changing, soon they will endorse asian trucks over American trucks just like they do with cars, it's already beginning.

[post="34290"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nah FOG, GM just didn't have anything good this year...

I'll be willing to wager that one of Gm's New SUVs next year will win though...

Tahoe, anyone? B)

From the article, these were the nominees:  Ford Explorer, Hummer H3, Hyundai Tucson, Jeep Commander, Kia Sportage, Mercedes-Benz ML, Mercury Mountaineer, Pontiac Torrent, Range Rover Sport, Subaru Tribeca, and the Suzuki Grand Vitara.

[post="34342"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I am surprised that the Range Rover Sport did not win or that it lost to an X-Terra.

From the article, these were the nominees:  Ford Explorer, Hummer H3, Hyundai Tucson, Jeep Commander, Kia Sportage, Mercedes-Benz ML, Mercury Mountaineer, Pontiac Torrent, Range Rover Sport, Subaru Tribeca, and the Suzuki Grand Vitara.

I actually like the Torrent, but it doesn't improve on anything to last year's Equinox.  Besides the Xterra and H3, I don't thnk any of the other vehicles really adds much to the segment.

[post="34342"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Judging by those alone, the Xterra should have won.

The Commander is not bad, the Range rover is cool, and the rest were just pretty
useless... :P

Nah FOG, GM just didn't have anything good this year...
I'll be willing to wager that one of Gm's New SUVs next year will win though...

Tahoe, anyone? B)

[post="34354"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That will be interesting to see. Several SUV's are being redesigned around that time too (Expedition, Sequioa, etc).

Not being an Asian vehicle fan, I grudgingly admit the Xterra deserved this one. Chevrolet sorely needs a smaller truck to compete in this segment. The Trailblazer is a dog and the Equinox is going to die a quick death unless seriously freshened in 2007. The Torrent has killed sales north of the border. As we've discussed before, GM should be slapped for not making the Torrent a real Pontiac, rather than a rehashed Equinox. The Xterra appeals to the youth segment and I kinda like its squared off looks. It has a rugged, almost military look to it and it is well priced, too.

Dude, you can take the new Explorer's interior apart with your bare hands (it's been done, on more than one)

[post="34431"][/post]

O.K., I don't really know what the point of saying that is. I'm sure it's some kind of knock on a non-Asian automaker......but if you want to compare the Explorer and the Xterra.....I guess would take the hand disassembleable interior:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Makes sense that the Xterra would win again. It won in 1997 when it was introduced. It won then because of what it gave you for the money. It won because it was actually capable of more off roading than pulling off to the dirt shoulder of the road. I am suprised,given Motor Trends typical pick,that the Nissan beat out the Mercedes,Lexus,and the Rover. I am not so sure that GM needs another small SUV. Just redesign the Equinox into the Nomad,keep it like it is now, basically a tall wagon,because I really think that, with all of the constant media coverage,that people are really scared about gas costs now and mileage is a major concern. I think the H3 would have had a better chance if it had the I6. As it was it was giving up at least 30 hp to the Nissan,and thats just sad, we are America,NO ONE should out horsepower us. That is our thing,always over-compensating. Always going too far, It's the whole reason that guys like Callaway and Lingenfelter the careers that they do. Because a 400hp Vette just isn't good enough.

Xterra probably deserves it.......I test drove one before ordering my '06 Liberty company car and even though it looks like the old one, they've made MAJOR advances in NVH and refinement while keeping the "butch" look and image. I drove a 4X4 4.0L V6 with 6-speed manual and it was smooth, punchy, with a really nice clutch and shifter action. For the price, it was unbeatable. $25K pretty well equipped. And for people that DON'T want a "cute ute" it's a really smooth and refined take on the "truck-based-chassis" SUVs. The interior materials were lacking, but everything fit together pretty well. As far as the others, Explorer is really nice but really not ALL that new.... RR Sport is nice, but way overweight, and although new for a Land Rover, it's been done a long time ago (X5, Cayenne) so it really doesn't establish any new ground in the segment. I'm kinda surprised M-Class didn't win.....but after driving it, I can also conclude it's a HUGE step up for Benz but not good enough to redefine the segment. H3 was, for sure, let down by it's drivetrain and inefficient interior roominess.

I sat in an Xterra at the local Nissan dealer and wasn't really impressed. The interior uses some fairly cheap materials and I didn't think it was put together all that well. The rear wheel wells stick out into the back seat and it looks nasty. I know what fly was saying about the badging and I agree.

Dude, you can take the new Explorer's interior apart with your bare hands (it's been done, on more than one)

[post="34431"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well of course it's been done before! Every mechanic takes dashes apart from time to time... :lol:

So the 2006 VUE doesn't qualify as "substantially redesigned"?  Nearly every interior and exterior panel has been changed.  Sure, MT would put it in last place for being "plasticky" or some garbage like that but hey, at least give us a rub!

[post="34734"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

As much as the VUE's skin has changed, it really hasn't been re-engineered in any way. It's more of a heavy refresh.

Thinking about it, that doesn't really explain why the Mountaineer is there... Edited by VarianceJ30

The 2006 Explorer and Mountaineer were redesigned! When seem from the back or sides they look almost identical. And the weird machine like interior hardly inspires confidence. The base engine/tranny are the same too. The only somewhat noteworthy change is the more powerfull V8 and 6 speed automatic though 0-60 times improve only fractionally and mileage is still low at 14/20. A half hearted attempt on Ford to call this a re-design but an ok refresh.

I thought the new Explorer/Mountaineer had their frames strengthened? Something along the lines of the current SuperDuty...it was substantially changed underneath last year but you wouldn't know that by looking at it.

[post="34431"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That is a reference to something I did.
I took apart the vents, console surround, shifter surround, and arm rest trim with my bare hands back in Spetember at the Barrie Autoshow (I had gone with Kris).
Thinking it was an issue with a demo model, I went to a dealer. It was just as easy to pull everything apart. Based on that, as much as the 2006 Explorer interior "looks" good, the quality is highly dubious. :P

Kris: I wish you would qualify your responses before posting. :lol:

That is a reference to something I did.
I took apart the vents, console surround, shifter surround, and arm rest trim with my bare hands back in Spetember at the Barrie Autoshow (I had gone with Kris).
Thinking it was an issue with a demo model, I went to a dealer. It was just as easy to pull everything apart. Based on that, as much as the 2006 Explorer interior "looks" good, the quality is highly dubious. :P

Kris: I wish you would qualify your responses before posting. :lol:

[post="36042"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sure, I'll make sure to copyright your destruction next time and consult you!

Thinking it was an issue with a demo model, I went to a dealer. It was just as easy to pull everything apart. Based on that, as much as the 2006 Explorer interior "looks" good, the quality is highly dubious.

LOL... I can take the vents out of my Grand Am, but that's it. The rest won't come off without tools. Damn, maybe my GA deserves a little more respect than it gets... :D