Besides GM...

In the mainstream, I like some Ford/Lincoln/Mercury products, some Chrysler products (esp. some Jeeps) and some Hondas.

In the premiums, I like esp. Audi and BMW, followed by Infiniti and Acura. And M-B a bit (though the CLS is the only semi-affordable one that I really like).

Edited by moltar

Now for my real answer...

I've always had a chubby for Audi.

So agree....Audi is my favorite....that RS4 when it rumbles by, well it's wood time.

Historically, probably Chrysler then Ford.

Edited by HarleyEarl

-Simplex

-Packard

-Hudson/Essex/Terraplane

-Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg

-Pierce-Arrow

-Studebaker

....and every other fine automobile that hasn't been built in a half-century or better. New vehicles have no class or substance or style for the most part. But because I HAVE to pick a modern manufacturer(s), I'd say the Germans have me. Mercedes, BMW, and Audi all have a ton of neat offerings. But even then, the older stuff is always better. Pre-World War II Mercedes and BMW's and Audi's stuff from their Auto Union days (think Horch) are way cooler than anything they build today.

BMW gets extra props because they also build fantastic motorcycles. I kick myself to this day for not buying an old coworker's 1970 R75/5. It was beautiful. Could have had it for a song, but I thought it fit to buy another rusty old Cadillac at the time instead!

I love Audi's design sensiblities...clean, aggressive styling with class. They look like they are carved out of single piece. I'm seeing more of the S5 coupes on the street...wow, that car is a stunner, beautiful 8 cyl sound.

rs4xw4.jpg

r88888ei9.jpg

loves5jc3.jpg

s888rb9.jpg

Edited by HarleyEarl

Jaguar. They speak for themselves.

Well, If we're talking luxury, then Audi and Jaguar for me. I especially love the A6 and the XJ. Take away Buick and Cadillac and those two are at the top of my list.

JaguarXJ01.jpg

Very Stately

2006AudiA6.jpg

Very Conservative

I love certain Audi models from the last decade or so. Same with BMWs and Mercedes.I own a Ford and a Toyota, and have a ton of respect for what Honda has accomplished over the last 20 years. So I'd have to say if there were no GM, I'd be pretty much the same, admiring the worthwhile pieces from just about every make. Except Chrysler, they're just crap.

-Simplex

-Packard

-Hudson/Essex/Terraplane

-Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg

-Pierce-Arrow

-Studebaker

....and every other fine automobile that hasn't been built in a half-century or better. New vehicles have no class or substance or style for the most part. But because I HAVE to pick a modern manufacturer(s), I'd say the Germans have me. Mercedes, BMW, and Audi all have a ton of neat offerings. But even then, the older stuff is always better. Pre-World War II Mercedes and BMW's and Audi's stuff from their Auto Union days (think Horch) are way cooler than anything they build today.

BMW gets extra props because they also build fantastic motorcycles. I kick myself to this day for not buying an old coworker's 1970 R75/5. It was beautiful. Could have had it for a song, but I thought it fit to buy another rusty old Cadillac at the time instead!

Have to agree with all your choices for companies that no longer exist...simply some of the most interesting and beautiful automobiles ever. I especially like Studebaker...such a shame they are not longer with us....they were there right from the beginning.

1936 Studebaker President, so nice:

1936studebakerpresidentna8.png

Jaguar. They speak for themselves.

Long time no see, Fly. Nice to see you posting again.

So I'd have to say if there were no GM, I'd be pretty much the same, admiring the worthwhile pieces from just about every make.

Pretty much the same. My tastes are diverse and I like it that way. I could never stick to one manufacturer. I love Mazda, I love Audi/VW/Porsche, I love Jaguar, I love Infiniti/Nissan... Even Honda/Acura get some love from me. I could own a vehicle from just about any manufacturer and not have a qualm about it. Except Kia. I couldn't do that. :P

HE: here's a picture of a 1932 Studebaker President coupe-roadster owned by a friend of mine. I've been up close & personal to this car and even been fortunate enough to ride in it once. Nothing today could ever hold a candle to stuff like this:

poo233.jpg

My personal number one, meaning what I would collect if I had Jay Leno money and connections, however, would definitely be Simplex.

Ford, Chrysler, BMW, Jaguar, and MB. If we're talking extinct car companies, AMC, Hudson, and Duesenberg.

I like AMC as well, and Kaiser too....I tend to admire smaller companies that do some interesting things on a small budget...

HE: here's a picture of a 1932 Studebaker President coupe-roadster owned by a friend of mine. I've been up close & personal to this car and even been fortunate enough to ride in it once. Nothing today could ever hold a candle to stuff like this:

poo233.jpg

My personal number one, meaning what I would collect if I had Jay Leno money and connections, however, would definitely be Simplex.

Wonderful '32..and you are correct that cars today have lost that special something...a sense of the road, attuned to ones surroundings and that feeling of solidity. If any of the members haven't taken a ride in a vintage auto, do so...wonderful experience in a time capsule. You instantly are transported to another time. Things are slowed down a bit..not so frantic.

Chrysler Corporation.

Especially if Lee Iacocca stepped in again to take control.

Chrysler (okay, I would lease one, not buy), then Ford. After that, I'd get a MetroPass.

I'd be down to just a few cars, not whole brands.

The knee-jerk is BMW, but they have to continue to get rid of the awful Bangle influence in their designs.

Jaguar is disappointing these days - they just don't have that clasic Jag look anymore.

Ford: Mustang

Dodge: Challenger

Audi: While that huge grille thing is a major turnoff, I am falling in love with the R8.

Slim Pickings.

i'm pretty tired of the audi look, although the TT and R8 wow me. Audi does enough with the quality of their execution to make their basic design themes come off real well.

bmw, its getting old.. mercedes too.

I'm a ford fan, but i admit they are not off the ropes but at least they are trying.

In the mainstream, I like some Ford/Lincoln/Mercury products, some Chrysler products (esp. some Jeeps) and some Hondas.

In the premiums, I like esp. Audi and BMW, followed by Infiniti and Acura. And M-B a bit (though the CLS is the only semi-affordable one that I really like).

Audi is just sooo sweet.

Real Jeeps are cool, Patriots are not so much...

The last Chrysler product I really liked was the prowler, as well as the LX series cars and the first gen Neon.

Chris

Toyota.

Because it takes balls to lie and cheat.

Vote republican, you;ll get all the lies and cheating you can handle...Oh wait, this isn't supposed to be a political forum.

Chris

Audi_logo25.jpg

Fantastic interiors, great value versus other luxury makes.

I am skeptical of their current design direction though.

First gen TT was an awesome car, second gen a little bland...

Really like the R8, and how can you argue with winning Lemans?

Chris

poo233.jpg

You are right, nothing built today holds a candle to this...

Chris