Pontiac Gallery

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admire those that can see beyond the obvious.

See beyond the obvious? Why stop there? How about seeing right through it with this transparent plastic 1940 model GM built for the New York World's Fair to showcase the ever-growing use of plastic in automobiles:

1940%20pontiac%20transparent%20car-03.jp

Sorry, Saturn. Your plastic body panels were not cool or original or different at all. Pontiac had you beat by a half century.

Fun Fact: this car has survived, and has been and still is 100% fully functional and operational and on the road today!

1958PontiacParisienne2Doorhardtop.jpg

I would probably kill somebody for this green '58. Probably.

83300869.jCeSbxyc.DSCN0535640.jpg

And would DEFINITELY kill somebody for this 1926 boat-tail race car/hill climber!

Edited by XP715

Interesting concept, but not pretty.

Indeed. I'd have to say the engine is the most interesting part of the whole car.

Doesn't it look to be possibly smaller than the Grand Prix of that era judging by the photos? It looks almost small enough to be F-Body based even.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Indeed. I'd have to say the engine is the most interesting part of the whole car.

Doesn't it look to be possibly smaller than the Grand Prix of that era judging by the photos? It looks almost small enough to be F-Body based even.

It seems to have some Le Mans elements?

Edited by HarleyEarl

BEAUTIES. I love Pontiacs! Hey Harley, is that an Olds Starfire in your new sig?

Aren't they though?!....There was a string of fantastic Pontiac designs, fresh, modern, young, sexy. It's that Pontiac that I'm such a fan of.

And, man you have a good eye, about my sig, it is indeed a 1964 Oldsmobile Starfire convertible. Isn't that console so very nice? And the name!...like names like that. And speaking of that, I'm a huge fan of the artists during those years who depicted these vehicles for brochures and ads. Love how they made the cars even more special.

Another thing, thanks for you all being around today, usually I'm out and about on the weekends, but woke up with a splitting headache, which I almost never get....so just laying low, with the laptop and you guys....made the headache more bearable.

Edited by HarleyEarl

I like the '59 too, and was it the first appearance of the classic split grill?

I wonder what the story was behind the '60 deviating from it and then

it was back on the '61 and then forever.

It did go a little overboard on the '70:

70pontiacfrontad5.jpg

An interesting little thing about these Pontiacs, see those inboard round outlets beside headlights?

I'm almost positive, those were actual horn grills!

What does that say about the "situation" of a Pontiac buyer in 1970... were they a horny bunch? :AH-HA_wink:

I think I heard that, too, about those little grills. A very retro touch, and cool.

What does that say about the "situation" of a Pontiac buyer in 1970... were they a horny bunch? :AH-HA_wink:

I think I heard that, too, about those little grills. A very retro touch, and cool.

They'd have to be horny with that huge, protruding grill.

See now, of that final Bonneville (so far), I like the clean, base SE model and the clean, aggressive GXP. Clean Pontiacs are my favorites.

Yes, that is how I like my Pontiacs too.....clean. In a way Audi is what Pontiac should be, clean muscularity.

Whoa, I just realized, on that pukey green-yellow, jacked-up 4X4 sedan concept... it looks like an embryonic G6! And it is something similar to what Dodge did with their Avenger sedan concept, but I think the Pontiac was first, AFAIK.

I am loving this thread of Pontiacs of the past, but I am ever-hopeful for Pontiac's future.