Take the census

Take them all so we can get a real picture of C&G's stance on each at a personal purchase level.

Try to get your votes in by the evening of 7/6. We intend to compile the results and put them on the front page for GM to see in plain sight.

So you're gathering information on the GM purchase histories of C&Gers, along with what the *may* purchase within the next 2 years. Seems to me you could have done that without the polls by searching the "Member Rides" forum and all the threads about upcoming GM models, since those threads always include the cliche, "I'll be first in line" types.

Then, according to another admin, you want to put the results on the front page for GM to see. Why? They're going to look at it and think, "Wow, people on a GM fansite buy GMs and plan on doing so in the future! Thats a real shock! Whats next? Will Allpar discover that their posters buy Dodges?"

If you really wanted a feel for C&G, you would have included polls for non-GM brands, and follow up by asking why they chose that vehicle over a GM. While you're at it, ask the GM buyers why they chose their car over the competition. Was it "blind loyalty" (i.e. I'll buy GM without considering anything else) or legitimately liking the GM over the competition, or was it the money aspect (i.e. a $21,000 dollar midsizer discounted to $14,000)?

Whatever. :rolleyes:

You are reading all sorts of things into this that aren't there. If you go back and read this thread, I think I made my intentions quite clear.

Several times.

And the members had fun doing it, so what's the problem?

Sheesh!

I have no interest in the rest of what you posted ( other makes etc.).

I just want to know:

1. How many new GM cars of each brand the respondents have purchased.

2. How many respondents intend to purchase from a given brand in the next two years.

That's it!

Nothing more.

I don't know why you've got your panties in a bunch, Satty. Maybe it's all that time you spend in that giant metal cockroach of yours :AH-HA_wink:

Obligatory Prius dig aside, my take on the census is that, with the rumors flying around that GM is going to axe several brands soon, that it was time to find out where C&G members stood on each brand, not just in terms of loyalty, but whether or not they plan to purchase a vehicle from that brand. Hopefully we get to show that killing a brand will alienate not just enthusiasts, but potential customers who will more than likely walk away from GM rather than be shoehorned into a Chevy, Caddy, or Saturn.

That still goes back to my earlier question about buyer types. Are the people who plan to buy a new car in the next 2 years the "blind loyalist" types or the type who consider all options and go with what best suits their needs? Blind loyalists would be easier to keep around because, after all the grumbling, GM would say, "Sorry you cant have a G8, but we have a nice Impala" or whatever the situation turns into and they will realign their blind loyalty.

I think to try to carry out what you're saying, we'd have to post this same census on BON, Allpar, Toyota Nation, TOV, Edmunds, C&D, etc. Even if everyone sampled is a "blind GM loyalist", that doesn't matter in the context of the census. Whether or not a member would consider another brand is immaterial, unless it can be inferred from the data we took shows that an alteration to GM's brand structure is a likely cause of him defecting, and at that point it doesn't even matter what brand he ends up choosing. Let's use your example, and Camino as our test case. While I probably don't need to go over what he said in the census because anyone who knows him can figure it out, the data should show that if GM were to tell him, "Sorry but we don't sell the G8 anymore. How about a nice Impala?", it would likely lose him as a customer.

And what about buyers like me, who had 12 new Pontiacs in 10 years and will not even buy one now, surely that evens out the playing field, my purchasing power should equal about 6 of a normal buyer. It makes me think your numbers are skewed.

You have ulterior motives.

The numbers are right - you are one of the nine who won't consider Pontiac out of 52 members here.

And you don't? :AH-HA_wink: Post your numbers, it won't change one darn thing.

The link to the numbers is above.

As for changing things, I don't expect any amount of reason or logic could affect certain folks in the midst of a power grab.

I do intend for you to know how we all feel about it though.

And I promise that I won't enjoy getting to say "I told you so" in a few years.

No matter how the power is obtained, the results of it being used are what matters. I think our little census might give a small indication of the costs of making product mistakes could be. In their self-assured zeal to "re-make " GM, the new regime seems to me to be poised for a rude awakening.