GMI: Some GMC Programs Canceled

I would have never sent a Lambda to GMC in the first place. Let's hope that this indicates a logical cutting of models rather than a sign of a brand elimination.

Well, the Acadia was supposed to go to Pontiac to replace the Aztek, but they changed it to GMC reasonably late in the program. That's why it has such a "sporty" interior for an SUV with the red lighting.

I would have never sent a Lambda to GMC in the first place. Let's hope that this indicates a logical cutting of models rather than a sign of a brand elimination.

Sorry, but for the good of the company, I do hope this is a sign of the end of GMC. It will free up money to give other brands the attention they need.

I hope so (About the brands)

But I don't see the logic behind cutting the Acadia. It's by far the best selling Lambda and a perfect fit for GMC IMO. If Pontiac and GMC are to stay and if the Denali XT comes to fruition, the Lambda truck program would be redundant IMO. But otherwise, why couldn't the Lambda SUT and X-over become the main bread winners for GMC?

Wasn't Saturn supposed to get a Lambda SUT at one point? Hopefully that plan hasn't been reinstated since Saturn can't even sell the Outlook as is.

It just seems redundant to cancel the GMC version because it will compete with the Chevrolet and then introduce a Cadillac version that will likely compete with the Enclave. (Because I don't think Lambda can do much better than the Enclave, honestly) But then, the logical course of action would be to utilize the already engineered and excellent Zeta platform or SigZeta to base a Cadillac SUV on. But GM in it's perpetual ignorance won't have that.

Maybe GMC will become simply a truck brand now and will take on the role of offering true BOF trucks and SUVs. Those people who want a BOF luxury truck can maybe still buy a Yukon Denali (Since it generally has better demographics than the Escalade anyway) and maybe those people who want a rugged little SUV from Hummer will now be able to go to the GMC store instead (If *when* Hummer is sold)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Sorry, but for the good of the company, I do hope this is a sign of the end of GMC. It will free up money to give other brands the attention they need.

Once again;

How is eliminating GMC GOOD for the company?

It'll create HUGE negative PR, phase out GM's once (and maybe still) 2nd best selling division and deprive the company of an outlet that requires MINIMAL investment yet returns HUGE profit. Not to mention, GMC enjoys a VERY good image in comparison to pretty much any other GM division this side of Saturn, and that's only because Saturn DOESN'T HAVE AN IMAGE.

In the 'elite' families (You know, the people who buy Lexus cars) it is VERY likely that you will find GMC trucks. GMC and it's marketing have been HUGELY successful at pulling in a clientele that typically would NOT buy GM. At one time it was the TOP import conquest division at GM.

The positives to keeping the division vastly outweigh the positives to phasing it out.

Once again;

How is eliminating GMC GOOD for the company?

It'll create HUGE negative PR, phase out GM's once (and maybe still) 2nd best selling division and deprive the company of an outlet that requires MINIMAL investment yet returns HUGE profit. Not to mention, GMC enjoys a VERY good image in comparison to pretty much any other GM division this side of Saturn, and that's only because Saturn DOESN'T HAVE AN IMAGE.

In the 'elite' families (You know, the people who buy Lexus cars) it is VERY likely that you will find GMC trucks. GMC and it's marketing have been HUGELY successful at pulling in a clientele that typically would NOT buy GM. At one time it was the TOP import conquest division at GM.

The positives to keeping the division vastly outweigh the positives to phasing it out.

Cutting a brand like GMC will focus money and resources. Fact is that in its heyday, GMC reached buyers that Chevy couldn't, but now with the truck market shrinking like crazy, I'd bet the combo of Chevy, Buick and Caddy can pretty much cover for GMC. - When GM dedicates the cash and resources to doing a product right, they've shown the ability to truly amaze (Malibu, CTS, Enclave, Etc.) However, GM is strapped for cash right now and simply doesn't have enough of it to give their full product lineup enough attention to turn things around. So, they've been hodgepodging lineups and it's not working. They're also shorting some vehicles on fit & finish. Cutting GMC will free up cash to in the near-term and long-term to refocus their efforts. Add to that the fact that you get to redistribute GMC's marketing budget elsewhere.

The Acadia is obviously unneeded with the Traverse coming. GMC is unneeded in the first place, though. Seriously, it is time for it to go. The Chevy LTZ's are nearly as nice as the Denali's and I see no reason why they can't make a Z71-like package but not aimed towards being off-roadsy for Denali customers. The Acadia would have been the only vehicle with a real future ahead of it in GMC's lineup, besides maybe the Sierra.

But what can help prop up the former GMC sales channel, with Buick and Pontiac (or possibly Saturn) left? Would Buick - Pontiac - Saturn work? (If I understand correctly, Saturn doesn't automatically move in - it's only if it's a certain distance from another Saturn store, right?)

Yeah, tick-tock for all of GM.

:nono:

Indeed that is the case if Pontiac is muscled out of there along with GMC.

By the way, want to see my latest investment in light of recent news?

8473-thumb.jpg

Now I just need to plunder a junkyard for a Mark of Excellence badge to stick on there somewhere. I think between the "tick" and the "tock" would be just right. :smilewide:

Edited by YellowJacket894

Does that Ticker-Tock clock have a body by Fisher... or Fissure? :lol2:

I don't know. All I know is that I bought it on sale at Target for the cheap price of $5.99, excluding sales tax, which means it was probably made right down the street from the plant that builds that nifty Chinese LaCrosse we all like so well here. :smilewide:

Does that mean we can kiss any chance of seeing this bad boy come to fruition 'goodbye'? :(

It would've even made a nice Lambda.

Speaking of which, I think now is a good time to Follow Honda's lead with the who Unibody pickup...just make it, you know, not hideous and make it actually capable of towing more than a feather. Unibody pickups may be what saves the truck segment, or at least what people who don't use their trucks for hard work buy.

That being said, I always liked the Rampage.

dodge_rampage_manu-06_01.jpg

I think it's a shame that many here want to rid GM of another storied and historical GM division (remember that GMC got its start in 1902, with "GMC" showing up almost a decade later on the 1911 trucks). However, look at what that did for Oldsmobile :rolleyes:

I guess if GM listens to the words shared here on C&G, I'll see my favorite brand join the ranks of Oldsmobile & Plymouth. It just means that no matter the cost of gas is, I'll petition GMAC to cancel my AURA lease early so I can buy the Sierra I've always wanted. I'll keep it forever and never look to GM for my truck needs.

It would be nice if GMC could become the heavy-duty workhorse for GM's commerical market, leaving Chevrolet to offer the BOF pickups and SUVs, and at the same time allow GMC to offer the innovative trucks for the non-commercial market ("green" crossovers and unibody trucks, such as the Denali XT concept). I do like that PCS stated in the "GM is Burning Cash" thread that he'd keep GMC around and pair it with Buick; I take that to mean that GMC would remain as an upscale truck manufacturer.

Time will tell what is to become of my favorite GM brand/division <_<

I think it's a shame that many here want to rid GM of another storied and historical GM division (remember that GMC got its start in 1902, with "GMC" showing up almost a decade later on the 1911 trucks). However, look at what that did for Oldsmobile :rolleyes:

Historic division yes, but one that has been diluted for a long time.

Take any '90s Chevy, swap the grille and badging, and presto: GMC.

Its only very recently that some effort has been made to make GMC more visually unique (GMT900 Sierra) and give it new product (Acadia).

Oldsmobile had a whole lineup of unique (except Silhouette), up-to-date cars. The (GMT360) Bravada and second gen Aurora were brand spanking new when the axe fell.

Historic division yes, but one that has been diluted for a long time.

Take any '90s Chevy, swap the grille and badging, and presto: GMC.

Its only very recently that some effort has been made to make GMC more visually unique (GMT900 Sierra) and give it new product (Acadia).

Oldsmobile had a whole lineup of unique (except Silhouette), up-to-date cars. The (GMT360) Bravada and second gen Aurora were brand spanking new when the axe fell.

Yeah, and that Aurora was being reviewed as GM's best midsize car, and only with the Malibu and (to a lesser extent) Aura was it surpassed.

Didn't I tell you Saturn would be merged with Buick, I even said it a few weeks ago when I outlined what I would do if I was CEO of GM. All I said will come to pass, the TICK-TOCK clock is ticking.

Great. The Saturn experiment has been an epic failure. There are what, 450 Saturn dealerships?

450 dealerships x $1 million buyout fee = $450 million. Shut it down. (Unless there's no Buick-Pontiac franchise nearby - offer one). The no-dicker sticker is a failure. Only good thing to come out of Saturn is the improved customer service/dealer service (make this a hallmark of the new Buick-Pontiac franchise).

Send Opels to the Buick/Pontiac dealership, branded as Pontiacs. There are more than 1000 B-P-G dealership groups - get more exposure to these vehicles. Pontiac Astra, Pontiac Insignia (would compete with the Lacrosse/Invicta, sure, but make it more "sporty"), rebadge the next Vue as the Torrent (is Buick still getting a TE?), bring over designs for the Corsa and Meriva, and retain the G8, and you've just rebuilt the Pontiac franchise without spending more $$$. You've also tied Pontiac more closely to Opel and Holden (since Holden sells some rebadged Opels, as well as the Korean crap which Chevy should be peddling here), and given it the Euro driving experience which the GTO and G8 have finally brought to the brand (after many years of "wishing and hoping".

Pontiac's brand is damaged by selling cheap rebadged Chevy's, poor dealership experiences, and questionable styling. But Pontiac has history and heritage - something Saturn does not. Saturn still has the impression of cheap plastic cars. It'd be easier to revive Pontiac's branding than to completely change Saturn's.

Besides, would you rather that GM had a BP division or a BS division? Pontiac Custom S seems to have a lot of experience with the latter...

The Denali XT Concept, is no longer a viable option and has been withdrawn from GMC.

A damned shame, too. Guess if I ever want to replace my GMC with another truck, I will have to look elsewhere if the NG compact pickups aren't several feet above and beyond the competition and their predecessors. The XT concept really had my attention.

The Denali XT Concept, is no longer a viable option and has been withdrawn from GMC.

I'd like to know how a pickup based on a unibody architecture which would ne lighter, handle better, and be more fuel effecient than the BOF trucks is "no longer a viable option" in these days of high gas prices.

Boy, that really saddens me. I really had my hopes out there that GM was going to make the GMC Truck line the innovators in the truck marketplace.

However, I know you are always careful with your wording, and since you say that it has been withdrawn from GMC, can I be interpretting that to mean that maybe someone else (*cough* CHEVY *cough*) is getting it instead? :scratchchin: Not that it makes me happy though if true :hissyfit::nono:<_<

>>"...a pickup based on a unibody architecture which would be lighter, handle better, and be more fuel effecient than the BOF trucks..."<<

An assumption, not a given. fridgeline has BOTH a unibody shell and BOF construction in order to handle any sort of work ( :lol: ). There is always a balance struck between efficiency & capability with trucks- the big trucks are counted on to work beyond what their spec'ed out to do- undercutting that market advantage by stamping the frame out of sheetmetal-guage C-channel & welding in to the floorpans is NOT going to improve the product.

IMO, GM is going the right route by offering powertrain efficiency (DOD) without compromising the truck itself. Smaller, mid-size trucks, on the other hand, have far lesser consumer demands- there a UB may have merit.

>>"...a pickup based on a unibody architecture which would be lighter, handle better, and be more fuel effecient than the BOF trucks..."<<

An assumption, not a given. fridgeline has BOTH a unibody shell and BOF construction in order to handle any sort of work ( :lol: ). There is always a balance struck between efficiency & capability with trucks- the big trucks are counted on to work beyond what their spec'ed out to do- undercutting that market advantage by stamping the frame out of sheetmetal-guage C-channel & welding in to the floorpans is NOT going to improve the product.

IMO, GM is going the right route by offering powertrain efficiency (DOD) without compromising the truck itself. Smaller, mid-size trucks, on the other hand, have far lesser consumer demands- there a UB may have merit.

Just because Honda can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Ok, name one BOF SUV that handles better and is more effecient than a comparable CUV. I don't know if it exists or not, but I'd like to know, and I'm "working" now so I can't look it up. :P

Also, you realize that a huge nunmber of truck buyers (before $4 gas) rarely maxed out the capablities of their trucks. These are the kind of people who would take a look at something like that.

Edited by Dodgefan

Boy, that really saddens me. I really had my hopes out there that GM was going to make the GMC Truck line the innovators in the truck marketplace.

However, I know you are always careful with your wording, and since you say that it has been withdrawn from GMC, can I be interpretting that to mean that maybe someone else (*cough* CHEVY *cough*) is getting it instead? :scratchchin: Not that it makes me happy though if true :hissyfit::nono:<_<

I can say no more that what I said, please go back and re-read the Autoblog article that was quoted in the begining of this thread. Look where it talks about a unibody truck inspired by the Denali XT Concept.

Pontiac Custom-S: Was there any consideration given to the idea of merging Buick with Cadillac, as some have suggested? Do you feel that is a viable idea?

As I said before, all things are being looked at and re-evaluated constantly. I would look more towards a Buick Saturn type of showroom in the future. As Saturn needs more dealerships whether stand alone or with a Buick partner to share the cost and expand Saturn's reach to the consumers. Besides as Saturn's products become more and more Opel clones, why not put Saturn with Buick, Buick and Opel have a long past and history together, so to me it would be a natural fit.

For those of you that don't know or remember what this concept looked like, allow me: http://gmnext.vox.com/library/video/6a00e3...d9fa000002.html

:lol: What an unfunny joke, Borger. "Saturn needs more dealers"??? They're not selling &#036;h&#33; at the dealers they have now! What a ridiculous statement. More dealers will only mean even FEWER sales per store! :rolleyes:

I like my Acadia. It's nice. Gets good mileage for what it is, can tow the boat if I need it to. I'm not sure it is worthy of the GMC badge, but I liked the more masculine style over the Enclave. The final feature that made me choose the Acadia over the Enclave and Outlook was the LED taillamps on the Acadia. Those are worth their weight in gold, in my opinion.

I think this is a relavant vehicle, but if its being repeated over at Saturn, Chevy, and Buick, then GMC does not need it. With the impending doom on the auto industry, I can see GM just cancelled GMC as a whole since Chevrolet has gone so far upmarket.

As I said before, all things are being looked at and re-evaluated constantly. I would look more towards a Buick Saturn type of showroom in the future. As Saturn needs more dealerships whether stand alone or with a Buick partner to share the cost and expand Saturn's reach to the consumers. Besides as Saturn's products become more and more Opel clones, why not put Saturn with Buick, Buick and Opel have a long past and history together, so to me it would be a natural fit.

Pontiac Custom-S: Thank you for your response. Yes, I recall the past relationship of Buick and Opel. However, some say Buick and Cadillac could be a natural, upscale fit - something Buick may need if it is to successfully court Lexus-type buyers. I do understand from reading your messages that everything's being looked at - but at some point, GM has to make a choice and, hopefully, stick with it. Guess we'll have to heat up some more popcorn :) and sit back and let things play out.

Edited by wildcat

However, I know you are always careful with your wording, and since you say that it has been withdrawn from GMC, can I be interpretting that to mean that maybe someone else (*cough* CHEVY *cough*) is getting it instead? :scratchchin:

Hmm ... this reminds me of a Photoshop I started on (and eventually aborted) a few months ago:

chevrolet_concept11.jpg

Maybe I should go back and finish it if I ever get the chance. :scratchchin:

Edited by YellowJacket894

I like the Denali XT generally, but in the GM video, the designer talks about 'functionality and the appearance of being a truck".

Midgate aside (haven't seen/operated one in person, so I'll not pass judgement) a what-appears-to-be 4-foot bed does not induce the adjective "functional"... and maintaining the 'appearance' of being a truck over actually being a truck does not inspire confidence for me. Handling? In a truck? OK- but don't compromise anything else that makes a truck functional to do it, K?

How big is the XT, anyway- no doubt the 24'? wheels are throwing off the visual proportions.

Hmm ... this reminds me of a Photoshop I started on (and eventually aborted) a few months ago:

chevrolet_concept11.jpg

Maybe I should go back and finish it if I ever get the chance. :scratchchin:

Well, if the Traverse will replace the Tahoe/Suburban for the time being with the current fuel price situation, then I guess the Denali XT becoming a Chevrolet would replace the Avalanche.

I was talking to my wife about the possibility of GMC being closed down and she replied, "At least you'll still have the similar looking Chevrolet trucks to buy then". I guess she doesn't get it either (that GMC is much more than just a badge & grille change for me). In my opinion, I think GM should let GMC survive by being the sole truck division, this way Chevrolet can be the value leader in cars for GM, including being the innovator for new fuel technology models. With trucks forecasted to sell less now that fuel costs are increasing, the smaller GMC dealership base would be more than capable of handling the truck needs. Just my :twocents: , and I'll admit my bias towards GMC!

Well, if the Traverse will replace the Tahoe/Suburban for the time being with the current fuel price situation, then I guess the Denali XT becoming a Chevrolet would replace the Avalanche.

I was talking to my wife about the possibility of GMC being closed down and she replied, "At least you'll still have the similar looking Chevrolet trucks to buy then". I guess she doesn't get it either (that GMC is much more than just a badge & grille change for me). In my opinion, I think GM should let GMC survive by being the sole truck division, this way Chevrolet can be the value leader in cars for GM, including being the innovator for new fuel technology models. With trucks forecasted to sell less now that fuel costs are increasing, the smaller GMC dealership base would be more than capable of handling the truck needs. Just my :twocents: , and I'll admit my bias towards GMC!

I agree, that way a GMC truck could be sold by any division. However these days that thought is like pissing into the wind, and you know what happens when you do that! :scratchchin:

There have been some good ideas on this post today. I don't think there is relevance for GMC in the consumer market right now or in the forseeable future. I know there are people on this forum who feel GMC is differentiated enough from Chevy, but unfortunately, I don't think enough of the car-buying public agrees.

However, making GMC solely responsible for GM's commercial trucks would keep the brand name alive and would actually reinforce the "Professional Grade" image. That way, if the market changes again and there is significantly more demand for trucks, you can easily expand back into the truck market with GMC utilizing the B-P channel.

While I don't see relevance for GMC, I do see relevance for Pontiac. I hate the assumption that performance brands are irrelevant in the new CAFE world. I see tons of opportunity to bring more fuel-efficient vehicles to the market that are truly performance oriented. Pontiac could stand in a market of its own if GM gave it the attention.

Finally, I don't see Saturn merging with B-P anytime soon (or at least I hope not.) The one thing Saturn has always done the best is have a great dealer network that gives great customer satisfaction. If you're going to merge its dealers, then you might as well just kill the brand.

While I don't see relevance for GMC, I do see relevance for Pontiac. I hate the assumption that performance brands are irrelevant in the new CAFE world. I see tons of opportunity to bring more fuel-efficient vehicles to the market that are truly performance oriented. Pontiac could stand in a market of its own if GM gave it the attention.

I disagree about Pontiac. IF GM were bigger and economic times were better, they could surely put out great performing and fuel efficient products. However, GM is in a fight for its life right now, and currently Pontiac has nothing that Chevy can't offer. Even though they have some small potatoes bespoke products, they could easily be given to Chevy and it would not be out of the brand's character. I would guess that in the current marketplace, Chevy is Pontiac's biggest competitor, and GM cannot afford to be competing with itself right now. GMC is similar, but not as big of a drain on resources.

I disagree about Pontiac. IF GM were bigger and economic times were better, they could surely put out great performing and fuel efficient products. However, GM is in a fight for its life right now, and currently Pontiac has nothing that Chevy can't offer. Even though they have some small potatoes bespoke products, they could easily be given to Chevy and it would not be out of the brand's character. I would guess that in the current marketplace, Chevy is Pontiac's biggest competitor, and GM cannot afford to be competing with itself right now. GMC is similar, but not as big of a drain on resources.

interesting take. there's definitely value in what you say, the key as we all know is what the predicament is financially at GM. we will have to wait and see what decisions get made.

on pontiac: is there any value in the 'aggression' brand? i think so.... with the proper product, Pontiac is still more of an outsider's car than Chevy. i think that counts for something. Pontiac has succeeded in the past at doing a number of things, being big volume, selling upscale cars, and being branded very differently and clearly, and having product that follow through on this idea. Right now, Pontiac is all shaken up and doens't have a clear product message or cohesive design statement or consistent quality product. give it the chance to have these and it could still play the rebel child with an instinct for fun to chevy's everyday casual.

truthfully points could be made in favor and against closing shop at a lot of the brands.

The Acadia is obviously unneeded with the Traverse coming. GMC is unneeded in the first place, though. Seriously, it is time for it to go. The Chevy LTZ's are nearly as nice as the Denali's and I see no reason why they can't make a Z71-like package but not aimed towards being off-roadsy for Denali customers. The Acadia would have been the only vehicle with a real future ahead of it in GMC's lineup, besides maybe the Sierra.

Do you people seriously think that the truck market is just going to go POOF and disappear?!?!

C'mon guys... Trucks will ALWAYS sell to those who need them and once battery technology or alternative fuels catches up I'm willing to bet that the market will be the same that it is now.

You cannot assume 2 things in this situation:

1) That americans are buying small cars because they WANT to.

2) That Chevy will EVER bring in the same clientele (in SUVs and Crossovers) that GMC will pull.

Sure, an LTZ can be as nice as a Denali, but it's NOT about the product. It's about the image. I can find just as nice of a shirt at Wal-Mart as I can at American Apparel. But if I'm an image concious buyer, I will pay the extra money for the American Apparel shirt before I ever set foot into a Wal-Mart.

It would be nice if GMC could become the heavy-duty workhorse for GM's commerical market, leaving Chevrolet to offer the BOF pickups and SUVs, and at the same time allow GMC to offer the innovative trucks for the non-commercial market ("green" crossovers and unibody trucks, such as the Denali XT concept). I do like that PCS stated in the "GM is Burning Cash" thread that he'd keep GMC around and pair it with Buick; I take that to mean that GMC would remain as an upscale truck manufacturer.

Time will tell what is to become of my favorite GM brand/division <_<

I don't see why GMC couldn't be offered as the true truck alternative again. The market WILL NOT die completely just because GM can't move 1 million trucks a year. Give GMC the rugged Hummer product on the lower end, some bigger Denali offerings (especially if the Escalade is killed) and a truck to sell to consumers and some decontented trucks to sell to the commercial market. That would help Chevy's resale anyway.