First Look: 2009 BMW 7-Series

matt41

2009 BMW 7-Series: Official Photographs Leaked!

9080703007mini2ldb92fjy2.jpg

No more spy pics, no more renderings, the first official images of the all new BMW 7-Series have leaked onto the web and who are we to hold them back from you. The official unveiling isn't until next week, but perhaps this may spur BMW into action sooner.

Very little was left to the imagination regarding the exterior design, recent prototypes have sported only light camouflage and a recent teaser poster caught at a golf tournament showed the CS inspired headlights. We see from these leaked images, both the front and rear lights will get LEDs and the interior shows us a first glimpse of the updated i-Drive system.

Of course we will bring you full details as soon as they surface, but enjoy these photos in the meantime.

Edited by MarioBro88

It's almost bland. It is better looking than the current car, but the tail lights are no very pretty.

The interior does nothing for me. It looks similar to any other BMW, and there's no real style to it. Of course it's high quality I'm sure...I wonder what iDrive is like this time around?

So we can basically all agree that there will be yet another controversey about the rear end? Very X6ish; not in the best way, but a beautiful car overall. I agree w/ everyone so far.

Edited by MarioBro88

This is like leaking next year's chicken egg pic. BMW stylistic changes move at a glacial pace, there is no anticipation by anyone of anything remotely surprising. The Banglization was ONLY somewhat surprising in light of decades of zero styling changes prior.

Small improvement styling wise over the current, especially in the front. The outer part of the tail lights (that is not in the trunk lid) look like they were borrowed from a Hyundai that was trying to look like a BMW.

With the exception of the front end, I think the Lexus LS is nicer looking and more fluid (once you get to the front though, it's a nightmare).

IMO the new 7-series exterior looks like a Lexus with a BMW grille. It's that conservative.

Overall, the interior is nice. Nothing really extraordinary. It's more inviting than the last generation. I see they moved the shifter back to the center console... another BMW blunder corrected.

The only glaring interior issue is that the steering wheel looks terribly cheap for a car in this class. The wood placement looks awkward and like an afterthought. It has no bright work what so ever. Infiniti, Lexus, Cadillac, and Audi all have far more detailed and refined steering wheels with multiple materials and textures.

Flame surfacing seems to have been all but extinguished on this one. I like the shoulder line and the way the door handles are incorporated into it. What strikes me as a shame is... the Bangled cars were a distraction from BMW design purity. During the Bangled years, Lexus cribbed BMW's previous, longstanding design language for the LS. Now that BMW returns to her roots with this car... suddenly it could be seen as a crib of Lexus, even though it really isn't.

Flame surfacing seems to have been all but extinguished on this one. I like the shoulder line and the way the door handles are incorporated into it. What strikes me as a shame is... the Bangled cars were a distraction from BMW design purity. During the Bangled years, Lexus cribbed BMW's previous, longstanding design language for the LS. Now that BMW returns to her roots with this car... suddenly it could be seen as a crib of Lexus, even though it really isn't.

Never thought of that....and you explained it well. That is what has happened.

Well, I for one really like this car......!

It looks alot more elegant to me than the current generation. The rear decklid is kinda LS-like but the detailing in the taillamps and stuff sets it apart for me. I also really love the short front overhang on this car and how, when looked at in profile, the front grille seems to jut out ahead of the headlights.....almost Z4-like.....it looks "sharky" to me in the front.

Also, the car looks sleek, but I'm glad they kept the big, airy greenhouse instead of going down the Chrysler-LX-style path of squashing the greenhouse to make the car appear lower to the ground. In fact, it reminds me of the glory days of the 7-Series of three generations ago (the one where we had a "733i"......)

Interior simply looks fabulous.....a mixture of BMW with some Audi-like details in the area below the iDrive screen where the center stack meets the console.

Overall, I think this thing TRUMPS the S-Class in so many ways it's not even funny. Nice job BMW! You've come home again........

It looks alot more elegant to me than the current generation. The rear decklid is kinda LS-like but the detailing in the taillamps and stuff sets it apart for me. I also really love the short front overhang on this car and how, when looked at in profile, the front grille seems to jut out ahead of the headlights.....almost Z4-like.....it looks "sharky" to me in the front.

Also, the car looks sleek, but I'm glad they kept the big, airy greenhouse instead of going down the Chrysler-LX-style path of squashing the greenhouse to make the car appear lower to the ground. In fact, it reminds me of the glory days of the 7-Series of three generations ago (the one where we had a "733i"......)

Interior simply looks fabulous.....a mixture of BMW with some Audi-like details in the area below the iDrive screen where the center stack meets the console.

Overall, I think this thing TRUMPS the S-Class in so many ways it's not even funny. Nice job BMW! You've come home again........

Yes, it does remind me a bit of the 733i, in the same way the 1 is sort of 2002-like and the 3 coupe is kinda 635CSi-like.

It's too bad these will inevitably be driven by idiots and ruined by 5% tinted windows and 22" chrome wheels. Apart from maybe the XJ, practically all big sedans now are incredibly ostentatious.

+1

During the Bangled years, Lexus cribbed BMW's previous, longstanding design language for the LS. Now that BMW returns to her roots with this car... suddenly it could be seen as a crib of Lexus, even though it really isn't.

Exactly my thinking. One only has to look back a few years to see where Lexus (and now, Hyundai) got its design from. But of course, many won't... :rolleyes:

My only real quibble about the new 7 is... why just one engine?

Well, I really like the 1, and the current 3-series coupe, and the Z4 isn't bad except for a bit of a weird rear end. The X3, X5 and especially the bizarre X6 should be dropped (as should the Cayenne, although I know it's been a moneymaker for Porsche).

following a general trend in big luxury cars conservative shape and surfacing with bold graphics elements. i think it looks great. elegant strong imposing substantial. a lot of the lexus resemblance can be seen in the surfacing and shaping of the sheetmetal all over really. but that's because Lexus/Toy first used the Euros as a template for thier design, cause they know what looks classical and right.

• 2 weeks later...
Bangle killed BMW for me, and this car doesn't bring them back.

Honestly, one could only hope for such a controversial designer in the GM fold. I would think he's restraining himself with what he does at BMW.

(Ironically enough, he began at Opel)

Edited by LosAngeles

>>"honestly, all of BMW's designs are aging incredibly well and looking like the most forward-thinking, progressive designs of this era. the surfacing is inspiring automakers everywhere to do unique things there."<<

:rotflmao:

+1

Bangle should never be allowed to design anything but a toaster from now on - worst stuff ever to wear the BMW emblem. If I ever met him, I swear I'd punch him in the eye - might improve his designs.