Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Autoblog.com: LaCrosse spotted in the wild

wildcat

It's looking good... I'm a little confused about the top of the dash vs. the dash of the concept... it doesn't look like it matches. Could be just a weird angle in these shots.

The car looks larger in these pics. Definitely the LWB EPII.

It doesn't look like the sloping rear roofline will cut into headroom as originally thought.

I wonder how bad the side visibility will be with the thick pillars and tiny windows, though...

Edited by moltar

I wonder how bad the side visibility will be with the thick pillars and tiny windows, though...

They look to be as much or more useful than the windows in the Chrysler 300. I'm just happy they didn't disappear from concept to production. There was lamentation here a while back about the fear of loosing the low profile greenhouse, surely we aren't going to turn on it now.

Edited by InvictaMan

Are the Buick faithful really pining for the worlds nicest Malibu?

Will GM have a 4cyl/6sp auto available upon intro?

Those questions always come to mind when I see this car. Not that it won't be nice...it really needs to sell 75k units or more to make a difference for GM.

Are the Buick faithful really pining for the worlds nicest Malibu?

Not ragging the Malibu, because I think it is a great car in its class, but I am pining for the world's nicest Buick. Just a very few short years back, people didn't even give Buick the time of day. Look at the car mags and web sites now. Thanks to the Lucerne and more importantly, the Enclave, Buick is starting to be taken seriously. This car, if executed as well as the concept and Enclave, will be a great asset for GM. If not in sales, in achievement and PR. I'm finding the rebirth of Buick fascinating.

Not ragging the Malibu, because I think it is a great car in its class, but I am pining for the world's nicest Buick. Just a very few short years back, people didn't even give Buick the time of day. Look at the car mags and web sites now. Thanks to the Lucerne and more importantly, the Enclave, Buick is starting to be taken seriously. This car, if executed as well as the concept and Enclave, will be a great asset for GM. If not in sales, in achievement and PR. I'm finding the rebirth of Buick fascinating.

Rebirth? I'd take a modest upgrade. The Zeta cancellations killed any chance of Buick coming back to full health here in the states--I think we're going to see a 3/4 product lineup for the forseeable future--the NG LaCrosse, Enclave, Lucerne & possibly something smaller (CUV, 4 cyl. Delta?)--and that's it.

I'd say that we're in for a rocky few years, as product plans have been decimated by 'surprising' gas prices, a downturn in the economy and a cash-strapped General trying to tread water.

Rebirth?

I didn't say revitalization. Rebirth is about as good as it gets. And with Buick (and all car companies) to be performing as good as they are in this climate, I'd say is a good thing. The economy has been off for six or more years, and I'd hardly call the current gas prices a surprise. My comment simply outlined that Buick is getting far better respect and appreciation than just a few short years ago.

I didn't say revitalization. Rebirth is about as good as it gets. And with Buick (and all car companies) to be performing as good as they are in this climate, I'd say is a good thing. The economy has been off for six or more years, and I'd hardly call the current gas prices a surprise. My comment simply outlined that Buick is getting far better respect and appreciation than just a few short years ago.

Umm...other than the Enclave, I'd say Buick hasn't gotten any good press for its products. Buick's sales are down a greater % than the market itself & my comment regarding gas pricing was a sarcastic one--GM certainly HAS been caught by surprise, no? Otherwise, what's their excuse?

I'd say Buick is an afterthought, a shining example of GM's cronic ADD problems. One decent new car intro in the past 5 years does not a rebirth make, my friend. The Lucerne was old at intro and the LaCrosse even older and uglier.

If it wasn't for China, Buick would have gone the Olds route years ago...

Edited by enzl

NG Lacrosse will be a boon to Buick if the sophistication can be amped up inside and out. this cannot be a cut the corners development. if there is a sign of that, my hammer would drop faster than you can say Buick to axe the brand. if GM can't figure out who the market is for thier brands, then just kill em. Buick's market expects lots and lots and lots of sophistication, along with since this is an American brand that's been dormant and stuck in product doldrums, killer style. the production version must live up to everything the concept was and is. the interior must not be dumbed down, the base model can't roll around in hubcap looking wheel designs, there must be no childish elements, left behind ass backward design whatsoever to this car. if so, ring the bell for Avis and death for Buick. yes, Buick needs cars to succeed. I lament the Zeta loss as much as anyone and still beleive the identity at least, the presence of a large luxurious sedan is needed for Buick to be truly premium, and I do believe there would be an audience for the right design [unless economy falters moreso]. but more importantly will be the next expansion downwards. one sedan below a big lacrosse is needed, something around the size of the last cutlass or alero or grand am. small, tidy, roomy, very solid driving, very efficient, a different formula from the other brands. build it right GM or don't build it all. don't make promises to yourselves you can't keep. look to VW jetta for an example of a premium compact.

Buick sales are down 21% in 2008, and were down 34% in June. That is decay, not rebirth.

Look closely at the wood trim in the Enclave, what is on the steering wheel is not the same as what is on the console, not even the same grain, one is straight grain, one is burled. Details matter on luxury cars, and Lexus doesn't miss details like that.

Buick sales are down 21% in 2008, and were down 34% in June. That is decay, not rebirth.

Look closely at the wood trim in the Enclave, what is on the steering wheel is not the same as what is on the console, not even the same grain, one is straight grain, one is burled. Details matter on luxury cars, and Lexus doesn't miss details like that.

Thank you!! I've been complaining about faux wood for a long time now. The wood trim on steering wheels in Buicks is real... but elsewhere completely fake. And it looks it.

The plood in the Lucerne is horrendous... they have chestnut plood that looks much more believable, but they only have that on ebony interiors.

The plood in the LaCrosse was improved for 2007 over the orangey stuff they had before, but again, looks fake.

NG Lacrosse will be a boon to Buick if the sophistication can be amped up inside and out. this cannot be a cut the corners development. if there is a sign of that, my hammer would drop faster than you can say Buick to axe the brand. if GM can't figure out who the market is for thier brands, then just kill em. Buick's market expects lots and lots and lots of sophistication, along with since this is an American brand that's been dormant and stuck in product doldrums, killer style. the production version must live up to everything the concept was and is. the interior must not be dumbed down, the base model can't roll around in hubcap looking wheel designs, there must be no childish elements, left behind ass backward design whatsoever to this car. if so, ring the bell for Avis and death for Buick. yes, Buick needs cars to succeed. I lament the Zeta loss as much as anyone and still beleive the identity at least, the presence of a large luxurious sedan is needed for Buick to be truly premium, and I do believe there would be an audience for the right design [unless economy falters moreso]. but more importantly will be the next expansion downwards. one sedan below a big lacrosse is needed, something around the size of the last cutlass or alero or grand am. small, tidy, roomy, very solid driving, very efficient, a different formula from the other brands. build it right GM or don't build it all. don't make promises to yourselves you can't keep. look to VW jetta for an example of a premium compact.

Yes, Buick is a prime example of GM's current state. The Invicta needs to be a home run. Anything else just hammers the point home that it can't manage so many individual brand identities and brand products. Making 8 model lines almost good enough is surely worse than 2 or 3 solid brand lines.

I really can't be that hard. It takes money I know, but the formal for a good car is something GM has been oblivious to for the most part since the 70's.

• Make it ride ride good
  • Make it handle at least decently
  • Make it stop on par with the class
  • Make the steering at least decentt
  • Make it refined sounding
  • Give it powertrains that don't lag 10 years behind everyone else
  • Make it look nice outside
  • Make it look nice inside and use nice materials
  • Don't let it rot on the market for 10 years
This formula isn't that hard, but has apparently been elusive to all 3 of the Domestics with only a few exceptions (which surprise, surprise, sold well). Edited by Dodgefan

Yes, Buick is a prime example of GM's current state. The Invicta needs to be a home run. Anything else just hammers the point home that it can't manage so many individual brand identities and brand products. Making 8 model lines almost good enough is surely worse than 2 or 3 solid brand lines.

yes, almost good enough won't suffice to consumers already enamored of thier import brands.

here are the topmost reasons imports succeed:

implied value- the value is already in those brands, the recent legacy, the quality legacy, the public affirmation of upscale values]

upscale environments, refined attitudes- the imports have expressions in all thier work, inside and out you get that, every line the impression of something

design design design- again having to do with the expressions i just talked about, whether it be a muted roar, a nice crease, the modern surfacing ethic that looks newer and unique, the quality padding for the steering wheel--bottom line it all comes together as the single most important point, total expression of value, not a single thought left behind when it comes to designing the cars.

brand value- who's gonna argue with this? resale, legitamacy, public perception

How can any American brand, when viewed so negatively, succeed without going the distance. the answer is they can't. every element must be fully designed, they have to be schooled in the best design coming out of Europe and Japan. they have to know surfacing, long the tired design element in GM's cars, the last part touched, the missing link to modern design. Surfacing, surfacing, surfacing. Look how long the current Silverado is lasting and Malbib, look how cohesive they are all around, now compared with just a last gen Impala or Silverado, how old those products look, very very old.

There's no more make or break cars. no more last chances to design and develop a frontrunner. this is the end. they must deliver with cars like lacrosse or kiss Buick goodbye. the next cobalt must be earth-shatteringly good for the rest of the corporation to have any chance at seeing the light. the next investment in Saturn is a mistake, but they better hope that it doesn't turn out that way, cause they are giving them good product, those cars must not be dumbed down in transition from Europe. Cadillac's next product after the line of CTS is complete have to come quick. they need to establish that brand to have even a credible luxury brand. unbelieveable. here we are almost 2010, GM's facing bankruptcy, and I'm still talking about building Cadillac into a credible luxury brand.

Thank you!! I've been complaining about faux wood for a long time now. The wood trim on steering wheels in Buicks is real... but elsewhere completely fake. And it looks it.

My CTS is the same way.....steering wheel, door pulls, shifter wood is all real......that whole slab of wood on the center stack is so fake, you can even see how it's stuck onto the center stack.....

Who else does this? No one that I know.....It's crazy......these are the kinds of details that GM still continually screws up (although the new CTS is now all wood thank goodness.....)

yes, almost good enough won't suffice to consumers already enamored of thier import brands.

To that fact, I grudgingly decided to take our 2006 M-Benz E350 that's on our used-car lot for a spin. I've never been crazy about this car....always saw it as too grampa-like for my taste.....but one thing really stood out....

I never imagined that M-Benz 3.5L V6 was so creamy smooth, revvy, powerful, and with such a nice quiet growl! Frankly it makes our 3.6L in the CTS seem like an old growly GM pushrod V6 in comparison.

The D.I. engine is a little better.....but every time I test drive someone on a non-D.I. 3.6L, the engine growls noticeably....not refined like you expect.....I cringe because customers invariably comment about. Around town at light throttle, it's just fine though.

Doesn't seem to be a deal-breaker though.....CTSs are still selling like hotcakes. In the last two days, we've taken in a G35 Coupe and a 525i on trade for a new CTS...!

To that fact, I grudgingly decided to take our 2006 M-Benz E350 that's on our used-car lot for a spin. I've never been crazy about this car....always saw it as too grampa-like for my taste.....but one thing really stood out....

I never imagined that M-Benz 3.5L V6 was so creamy smooth, revvy, powerful, and with such a nice quiet growl! Frankly it makes our 3.6L in the CTS seem like an old growly GM pushrod V6 in comparison.

The D.I. engine is a little better.....but every time I test drive someone on a non-D.I. 3.6L, the engine growls noticeably....not refined like you expect.....I cringe because customers invariably comment about. Around town at light throttle, it's just fine though.

Doesn't seem to be a deal-breaker though.....CTSs are still selling like hotcakes. In the last two days, we've taken in a G35 Coupe and a 525i on trade for a new CTS...!

I have heard the Mercedes V6 is very good, but haven't been in one. The BMW inline 6 is a good engine, more refined than the Northstar even. The 3.6 is way to harsh and unrefined in the Aura and SRX. The DI V6 is a little better, but it still isn't as good as what the Germans have. I drove an 08 CTS about a month ago, they only had AWD ones at the dealer, and the awd car felt way too heavy, it is nearly 300 pounds more than my Aurora. The engine was not very impressive and had to rev a ton to move the weight. I was always around 3500-4000 to get the car to feel remotely quick. If Cadillac can't do better, l will be getting my first non-GM car. My favorite car now is the Jaguar XF, I can just save for one of those.

Edited by smk4565

It is obvious to me by those shots that the production car's tail

light/bumper cover gap is 0.00125" too thick and the center

console's cupholder pullout slot is made of cheap plastic. Also,

the mouse-fur on the kick panels is not up to Lexus standards

while being 0.07% darker than the carpeting.

All joking aside, their FWD & resulting awkward proportions

(esp. front overhang) is the only thing Buick needs to be a REAL

contender in the Acura/Lexus/Infiniti/Audi end of the market.

Audis ride about as stiff as they come. My mom drives an Audi, my grandmother has a Buick, they are polar opposites. The Audi is way better built, though Audi is not a car I would buy. I like the new Lincoln look, if Buick could even get on par with Lincoln that would be a huge step forward, they are still far form Lexus/Acura. Buick's cars are closer to the Camry/Avalon.

For the Invicta to be a contender, the interior should be about what the current STS is. That would make it comparable to a lower end Lexus.

Haven't chimed in for a while and then saw this....

It's ugly, from what I can see. The roofline says Saturn Aura. The rear deck proportions say Nissan Maxima/Altima (whichever). Dashboards have been improving and have become more inspiring, so it may benefit...in this area.

Drawing on another newly released car, everyone raves about the new Malibu. I see its virtues. The fit and finish are excellent. I didn't drive one because the salespeople have been too pushy (and I don't go in my new car, so they think a sale is in the making). However, the blind spots and high belt line detract. Especially the rear blind spots.

Seeing this, and seeing that there were no worthwhile changes for 2009, make me glad I bought in 2008.

Haven't chimed in for a while and then saw this....

It's ugly, from what I can see. The roofline says Saturn Aura. The rear deck proportions say Nissan Maxima/Altima (whichever). Dashboards have been improving and have become more inspiring, so it may benefit...in this area.

Drawing on another newly released car, everyone raves about the new Malibu. I see its virtues. The fit and finish are excellent. I didn't drive one because the salespeople have been too pushy (and I don't go in my new car, so they think a sale is in the making). However, the blind spots and high belt line detract. Especially the rear blind spots.

Seeing this, and seeing that there were no worthwhile changes for 2009, make me glad I bought in 2008.

Bob it has been a long time. Good to know you are doing well. Keep chiming in.

I wouldn't go calling it ugly but it's not a W-Body, that's for sure... In some ways that's a bad thing, but for GM Mostly good. I doubt it'll feel as 'substantial' to drive, that's for sure. I just cannot wait to see it in production guise!

I wouldn't go calling it ugly but it's not a W-Body, that's for sure... In some ways that's a bad thing, but for GM Mostly good. I doubt it'll feel as 'substantial' to drive, that's for sure. I just cannot wait to see it in production guise!

I'm not sure in any way whatsoever the W-bodies were a good thing, especially in their final years. They hung around too long, the packaging is terrible (especially the backseat), the proportions are ungainly, and the handling was "meh" at best.

I cannot wait to see the Invicta, which I hope that's what they call it, because not only is LaCrosse a bad name, it's the name of middle-of-the-road car. It should almost certainly drive better, handle better, and will of course have far better proportions. Styling is subjective but to me the Invicta is much more contemporary and better looking than any Buick car before it, and finally brings Buick's cars into the 21st century.