Quick cash for a b-body

Satty

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love old school RWD GM cars/trucks... cheaper than

anything out there parts wise! & excelelnt availability.

I was surprised, my Autozone only had 1 rotor and 1 distributor cap in stock. I went up to put everything in the back of the car and play around a bit. Alex was with me and he had a blast climbing on the front seat and rolling off into the back seat.

The tailgate works pretty well both ways, before today I had only swing it to the side, hadn't put it down tailgate style. I got the radio to stay on by holding the button down for a while, dont know what made it decide to work, or what made me decide to try to replicate it, cause it wouldn't do it again. Damn, so close.

The freaking jack on this car is huge, like 4 feet long, no wonder scissor jacks became the norm, they take up much less space.

Now for a small amount of venting. The previous owner used a Fram oil filter with the grippy crap at the bottom. God only knows how many miles were put on that filter, it ended up getting caked with mud, so the grippy $h! on bottom was no longer grippy. And, being a normal person intent on putting a normal oil filter back on, I was using a wrench that attaches to a ratchet. That, obviously, wouldn't work, so I had to go get a freaking strap wrench and wrestle my way under the car and try to find room to get the damned wrench around the filter.

Ok, thats my rant, I still haven't dont the plugs and wires. But I did get to fulfill my dream of using the back of a station wagon for what its best for.

The freaking jack on this car is huge, like 4 feet long, no wonder scissor jacks became the norm, they take up much less space.

Now for a small amount of venting. The previous owner used a Fram oil filter with the grippy crap at the bottom. God only knows how many miles were put on that filter, it ended up getting caked with mud, so the grippy $h! on bottom was no longer grippy. And, being a normal person intent on putting a normal oil filter back on, I was using a wrench that attaches to a ratchet. That, obviously, wouldn't work, so I had to go get a freaking strap wrench and wrestle my way under the car and try to find room to get the damned wrench around the filter.

Ok, thats my rant, I still haven't dont the plugs and wires. But I did get to fulfill my dream of using the back of a station wagon for what its best for.

The strap wrenches suck unless the oil filter is way out in the open, which seems to be pretty rare.

What can brown do for you?

Sounds like a very fun bomber, Satty. And the work you're doing to it should be very therapeutic. If you don't already have a set, some portable ramps would help with your earl change and transmission service.

Could someone who insists these are easy to work on please tell me how the bloody hell I am supposed to remove the spark plugs on the passenger side? The AC unit it almost right on top of the, making them pretty hard to remove, reace or see.

Actually, it was the one in front on the passenger side that was giving me a headache. It took a bit of fighting, but I got it. Surprisingly, the back ones were the easiest.

I had to kinda guess on the gapping on the plugs, I've found sources that say .080" and .060" but nothing in the owner's manual. I went with .080" so we'll see what happens.

And the distributor cap is a bit of a pain. The retainer screws are spring loaded, they're tricky if you're not paying attention, cause once I started playing with it, I found it its freaking simple. God I'm dumb.

Anyways, I just idled it in the driveway for a minute and it sounds and feels a million times better, I'm going to take a short test drive in a bit.

Edited by Satty

I got it insured this morning, I still need to get a safety inspection before I can register it. When I was under the car yesterday, it looked like all the dirty bits were solid, so I dont think that will be a problem. Up next repair wise is the back window on the driver's side. Last time I tried taking a GM door panel off (twas the '96 Century) I kinda tore it up, so I'm apprehensive about exploring the inside of the door. I do need to get the transmission fluid changed, doing it myself will be a pain in the ass, but a lot cheaper.

I tried taping and gluing the radio power button in the on position, but it wont stick, so I'm thinking that when I hit up the junkyard for a window motor, I'll see if I can find a radio and just do a stock-unit swap for now.

It was really sluggish on the highway this morning, even more than I expected a 7-ton behemoth with a carburated 307 to be, so I cant wait to see what kind of getup it has now that its got good spark.

And I need cupholder. In 2008 you can get 8 passenger SUVs and vans with 15 cupholders, in 1989, you could get an 8 passenger wagon with none. We certainly have come a long way.

Edited by Satty

I got it insured this morning, I still need to get a safety inspection before I can register it. When I was under the car yesterday, it looked like all the dirty bits were solid, so I dont think that will be a problem. Up next repair wise is the back window on the driver's side. Last time I tried taking a GM door panel off (twas the '96 Century) I kinda tore it up, so I'm apprehensive about exploring the inside of the door. I do need to get the transmission fluid changed, doing it myself will be a pain in the ass, but a lot cheaper.

Get yourself a door panel removal tool. You just have to find where the speed clips are on the panel, stick this thing intehre so that it grabs a clip, and push against the door to pop the clip out. It's possible you may break a clip (or two or three) because they do go brittle, but they do have them in Autozone. Heck, I have a whole container of them I don't need anymore and you're welcome to them.

I tried taping and gluing the radio power button in the on position, but it wont stick, so I'm thinking that when I hit up the junkyard for a window motor, I'll see if I can find a radio and just do a stock-unit swap for now.

Ebay is your friend. You should be able to transfer the mounts from your radio to this one (or any 82-89 Delco unit) without a problem. As long as you get a pre-90 GM Delco radio it should swap right in. Ih 1990 they did change the connectors in the back, but there are adapters readily available.

Walmart has an am/fm/cd with aux input for $49, which would work. I also saw an am/fm/cassette at another walmart that appeared to have an aux input, for $29 which would be great, since I hate having to dig through a cd case, if I can get something cheap that will take my iPod, it will be a pretty perfect situation. The problem is finding the right dash adapter so it will actually fit in the giant hole the stock unit uses.

I

And I need cupholder. In 2008 you can get 8 passenger SUVs and vans with 15 cupholders, in 1989, you could get an 8 passenger wagon with none. We certainly have come a long way.

I never got why back in the day they had no cupholders...did cups not exist back then?

I never got why back in the day they had no cupholders...did cups not exist back then?

No. Back then, driving your car was top priority. Not drinking your coffee, or talking on the cell phone, or texting, or doing your makeup, or punching directions into a NAV screen, or reading the newspaper, or.....

According to my father's Chilton manual for 88-92, the spark plug gap for a 1989 Olds 307 is .060"

No. Back then, driving your car was top priority. Not drinking your coffee, or talking on the cell phone, or texting, or doing your makeup, or punching directions into a NAV screen, or reading the newspaper, or.....

According to my father's Chilton manual for 88-92, the spark plug gap for a 1989 Olds 307 is .060"

Wow!

That's a freakin' huge gap!

Wonder why?

Sweet, I'll get it right next time I tune it up.

And the old plugs were gapped at about .035, it runs much better now. Dont know why they set the gap that high, nobody I know has ever seen plugs with that big of a gap.

Edited by Satty

They arent the fastest cars in the world. Mine feels like you need to push it to get it to highway speeds too. The Caprice is better to a point. Neither one will win too many races. There are so many vacuum hoses especially on the Bonneville that one doesnt know where to begin. And the Bonneville acts like it does have a vacuum leak. My fuel mileage ia about 15-24 given the condition it is being used in. Yours may vary. Make sure the catalytic converter isnt plugged. Mine did that when Grandma still had it.

Hi Satty,

I used to have a 1983 Buick Electra Estate Wagon, quite similar to yours (same color - I think it was called champagne - and woodgrain) except mine had the Buick chrome road wheels (and I later got wide whitewalls and switched out the hood ornament to the Buick tri-shield). I really liked that car!

Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing your buying experience. I wish you lots of happy and safe driving in your LeSabre Estate Wagon!

Ever hear the term "don't drink & drive..."? :AH-HA_wink:

Back before everyone workled 3.5 jobs

and everyone got used to driving while

talking on the cell phone, eating a

burger, drinking a 78oz coke & texting

on the cell phone while looking for an

MP3 on their ipod, people did not drink

while driving like we do... and when

they did they put their cup in their

crotch between their legs.

You wanna know what really pushed

cup-holders into the mainstream?

hot coffee is usually.... hot.

I've been using the Q.E.2 as a daily driver since I got it. The Fusion has gotten about 40 miles put on it in the last 12 days, most of that wsa running around picking up stuff for the Buick. Its still slow, it needs the entire exhaust replaced, the driver's seat wont go up, but its a blast. And as a bonus, the window motor on the driver's side back door decided to work!

Some co-workers and I even use it as a lunch table. Even the new girl (who is dumb as a box of retarded rocks) thinks the car is cool.

I still really need to get the rear shocks replaced.

Ever hear the term "don't drink & drive..."? :AH-HA_wink:

Good cupholder design is part of why the Japanese gained market share so much in the '80s, I think... one of the things I hate about driving my '87 Mustang or my sister's Mercs is the lack of cupholders. I want lighted, heated, chilled cupholders!! In Arizona, you don't leave the house w/o a bottle of water...and I have to have my coffee on the morning drive.

Edited by moltar

The factory suspensions on the GM B-bodies are very soft. I have added heler springs on the Bonneville and they made a huge difference without hurting the wonderful ride. Dad did this with the Caprice as well. Dont expect to turn this car into a speed demon. Neither of mine are speed demons but especially the Pontiac. I added cupholders to both of mine. Both of mine are less equipted than your wagon. Crank windows in both and no rear window defrost on the Caprice. Manual seats and the bench in the Caprice is the one piece one. The Bonnevilles is at least split. Good luck and have a little fun with the wagon. Does the A/C work?

Good cupholder design is part of why the Japanese gained market share so much in the '80s, I think... one of the things I hate about driving my '87 Mustang or my sister's Mercs is the lack of cupholders. I want lighted, heated, chilled cupholders!! In Arizona, you don't leave the house w/o a bottle of water...and I have to have my coffee on the morning drive.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was the Caravan that started the cupholder trend...

-RBB

I could be wrong, but I thought it was the Caravan that started the cupholder trend...

-RBB

I have no idea..I was only being semi-serious about Japanese cupholders... it would be interesting to trace the history of cupholder technology in cars. I know the Germans were late adopters, and their efforts in the '90s (particularily in Porsches and BMWs) were pretty weak.

The Germans didnt believe in cupholders. They thought the car was just for driving in not for eating in too. At least this is what I heard.

Hows aboot a random update?

The Fusion is looooooong gone. Some dude with a big nasty Ram (looked like a 6" lift and more rust than a certain Dodge Shadow) needed something with good mileage that he could strap his upcoming 3rd child into. Not sure the Fusion was the best move for him, but thats not my prob.

The Q.E. 2 is running like a champ. She ate about a quart of oil over the last 1000 miles, and has a slight rod knock, so I'm looking around for a good 307 block that I can swap out. Ideally an LG8 from a wrecked 442, to get a little more power. The entire exhaust needs to be replaces, but I'll probably make that my winter project.

I still haven't gotten around to the rear shocks, so I cant get it up the driveway without scraping something. And there is a big-ass hole underneath where the spare tire belongs, presumably a result of the blown rear shocks and inclines. That will be patched after the shocks are done.

Just realized I need to change my sig to "Also: One car you people dont appreciate"

I'm going to have to do some research. I think the LG8 will slip right in, externally, its exactly the same as what I've got now. Its just the internals that have been upgraded. At least thats what I've gathered so far. I'll either rebuild or replace the transmission.

I still dont have a fully working radio yet, just something I keep putting off. I need to check junkyards, since my list of part is growing. I need:

--Rear passenger side door handle

--Hood (this can wait)

--Front seat

--Passenger side rearview mirror

--Dome light cover

Also, I have the same wheels as this one:

wpe20.jpg

But I only have one of the caps that covers the lug nuts. I want 3 more.

Edited by Satty

I'm just going to add $h! to this thread until the car either dies or doesn't need anymore work.

Today was fun, since very early on I decided to search for the exhaust leak. The manifolds looked fine, so I figured it was a gasket. I also decided that since I was in a money spending (and work doing) mood, I'd tackle the rear shocks. One thing I dont think I ever mentioned is that my car had the towing package, which included the self-leveling suspension. Air shocks, yay.

So I go to O'Reilly's to price check my shocks and gaskets. They give me my quote but say the shocks are at the warehouse so I move on to AutoZone, which is just up the block. AutoZone gives me a quote (a little less than O'Reilly's) but they tell me they dont have the parts in stock at the store, but the one 4 miles up the road has everything. So I run over there, get my gaskets and shocks and head back over to my sister's house, since my brother-in-law has an air compressor and god's own impact wrench. We tackle the shocks first. Before we get to work, he pops the hood and notices the compressor for the air shocks has been disconnected, but not just disconnected, someone beheaded the power cord so it cant be plugged in. Well $h!. So I take the air shocks back to AutoZone only to discover neither store close by has regular shocks in stock. Well $h!. Back to O'Reilly's to get some regular shocks ($32 for the set, way cheaper than the air shocks were). So I get to work, the driver's side was a snap. The passenger side, not so much. I tried, my bro-in-law tried, but the tailpipe was in the freaking way. Well, the tailpipe is Swiss Cheese and going to be replaced, so I tell him to grab the SawZall and circumsize that bitch. That made it worlds easier. Now I have a section of tailpipe (cut off about 3 inches past the muffler) and no clue what to do with it. Its still in the back of the car. Not to the exhaust leak. Upon closer inspection, the manifold is indeed fine the leak is coming from the gasket between the manifold and the pipe, so now I have the wrong freaking gasket. I go to take the gaskets back and find that I lost the receipt (or forgot to get the original when I took the shocks back) so I have to settle for store credit. I get the donut gasket and get to work. One more trip to O'Reilly's for a new bolt (long freaking story) and the car is good to go. She rides far better, is quieter, and for some reason the SES no longer comes on after a couple minutes.

This car is going to kill me. It had better last through the winter, then I can get my Jeep or Jeep-like vehicle and look into restoring the Q.E.2.

What you could also do Satty is find a good Oldsmobile 350 to put in place of the 307. They are still around. Should be able to make the ECM and the other systems work with it.

If and when a paintjob happens, it will either be repainted the same brown color (the paint is in decent shape, only one real bad spot on the hood) or white. I saw a white wagon with wood applique, and it looked sharp, and wouldn't clash with the tan interior.

Something I learned last night, the big kayak doesn't fit in the car (duh) and is pretty awkward to get up on the roof rack. The small kayak will fit inside, mostly. With the nose up against the front seats, the tail sticks out about a foot.

I think satty needs to transplant the olds 403 in it. Uses same carb and everything. remember satty the 307 is rated at like 145 hp with 245 torque. the chevy 305 with TBI is 185/ 260 and the 403 is 195/ 290. Its worth it!