Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Quick cash for a b-body

Satty

That could work too capriceman. The 350 just is the first thing to come to my head. Dont know though about the transmission. It isnt super strong from GM so a 403 may stress it too much.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The transmission is holding up like a real trooper, but it would definitely be replaced if I put in a more powerful engine. If I just got with another 307, I'll at least rebuild the one thats in there, depends on whats most economical.

On the one hand, a 350 or 403 would be awesome, but on the other hand, part of me wants to keep it as stock as possible on the off chance that 20 years from now someone will pay six-digits for it at a Barret-Jackson auction.

In other news, it still doesn't have a tailpipe. Well, it has one, but its sitting in the garage. The muffler guy my friend sent me to isn't in his shop until next week due to a family illness.

It would be nice to have a big, brown wagon that will blow away my friend's Mustang.....

Anyways, I've already started looking towards the future. Assuming we dont rent the house out and move into an apartment (closer to work, school) I'll have pretty much free reign on another vehicle. I want a Wrangler very badly, have for years. But I'm also looking into other options. An Amigo would be pretty cool, a Tracker/Sidekick or (uber-rare) Rav4 vert would fit the bill nicely as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Quick update. After about 2600 miles, I changed the oil. I was expecting pure ugliness, but the oil came out clean. Dirty, but clean, no metal shavings, no human hair, just oil thats been around the block a few times. Its still burning oil, but not nearly as bad as it had been.

Edited by Satty

Has anyone ever tried to parallel park one of these? Dont, it sucks. But I didn't hit anything.

Heh Heh. The Sedan isnt any easier. You have to be VERY careful when doing that with one of these. I have did it a few times but I keep it to a minimum. I was jealous of my Dad. He could do that with one of these with his eyes closed practiclly. Look on the bright side though, you are more likely to hurt the other car than your own if you do hit something.

Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS

Quick update. After about 2600 miles, I changed the oil. I was expecting pure ugliness, but the oil came out clean. Dirty, but clean, no metal shavings, no human hair, just oil thats been around the block a few times. Its still burning oil, but not nearly as bad as it had been.

My 307 is good too as far as keeping the oil clean. And the level never drops in 2500 miles. Mine doesnt burn a drop. Just leaks a tiny bit from the left valve cover. The 305 in the Caprice is good in those respects also. Just like I said, dont expect the 307 to be a performance engine. It just isnt in the 3 that I have driven.

You have learned that too. :lol: The 305 in the Caprice isnt hugely better. That one is better from a standing stop but I think after 45-55 the Bonneville is a little better.

• 1 month later...

A few random tibits regarding a new engine. I found a Cutlass on Craigslist that had a good 307, the kicker is that the car also came with a complete 403 that needed to be assembled. $850 and gone before I could give it a serious thought. But I found out last week that my friend's mom inherited a Delta 88 that looks like $h! but runs great. He wasn't sure which engine it had, its either a 307 or 350. In the spring, I'll see if I can pry it out of her hands.

....and then the evil process could begin. Rebuild the 307 after you swap in the other motor, and now you have a cheap motor for a 38 Olds rat rod or something.

All of us should own far too many cars.

Chris

Some extra power would be nice. Just being able to maintain highway speedson a 5% grade would be nice. I cant complain too much considering the engine is an absolute trooper, it keeps going and going.

My 307 in the Bonneville is the same way. Not a lot of power but it is reliable as the day is 24 hours long and it doesnt use a drop of oil. The 305 in the Caprice is margnially better.

Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS

• 1 month later...

I just want to say that, other than a dead battery on a day with -9 degree windchills, this thing is an absolute trooper. I topped off the anti-freeze today and just for the heck of it checked the tranny fluid and its as good as one could possibly hope for. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I've vowed to own this car forever.

I just want to say that, other than a dead battery on a day with -9 degree windchills, this thing is an absolute trooper. I topped off the anti-freeze today and just for the heck of it checked the tranny fluid and its as good as one could possibly hope for. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I've vowed to own this car forever.

Sweet....

Has anyone ever tried to parallel park one of these? Dont, it sucks. But I didn't hit anything.

Yes.... many a time. It's what separates the MEN from the boys!

Next, you should get a Suburban! 129" wheelbase FTW!

Like I said before, I have a few times but you just have to be careful. On the plus side if you do hit something chances are you will damage the other thing or car before you will damage a B-body. Sixty-Eight, you know what really separates the men from the boys? If you can parallel park a 40 foot bus. I cant do it but I watched my Dad do it a lot at bus rodeos. He never hit a cone either.

Like I said before, I have a few times but you just have to be careful. On the plus side if you do hit something chances are you will damage the other thing or car before you will damage a B-body. Sixty-Eight, you know what really separates the men from the boys? If you can parallel park a 40 foot bus. I cant do it but I watched my Dad do it a lot at bus rodeos. He never hit a cone either.

Now THAT takes skill.

I always envied the guy for being able to do things like that. In my life there wasnt a once where he was nervous about doing a driving act. He could parallel park and get it right every time no matter what the vehicle.

• 4 months later...

Good news, bad news

The new engine was installed yesterday, it apparently fires up and sounds great. The bad news? The doors and hood still need to be re-installed, I'm not going to be able to get up there to do it myself for at least a week and the guys who put the engine in are busy too.