Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The Future Of General Motors

ZL-1: it's weird cause I'm not getting what you see. it looks perfectly fine to me.

It just looks odd to me on that picture. Looking at the picture again, it could just be the angle + lighting + poor pic resolution... I do know I don't like seeing what appear to be front fender vents: I hoped Saab wouldn't follow that trend.

GM had to stop this insanity with name changes. Just pick one and stick with it.

Cobalt to Cruze...when will it end? Get some consistancy so that the buying public

knows what you are selling. Ever heard the names, Civic, Accord, Camry, Corolla?

Instant recognition.

I own a GTI with a 2.0T. If you run these cars hard, or any turbo car, it is a good idea to let them cool down. In normal everyday driving, you don't have to. They are cooled after you shut the engine off and modern turbos run cooler to begin with. Turbo cars can burn oil, the 2.0T does.

Even in a non turbo car, I prefer to get her really good and up to temp before I get on her, and let her cool down before I shut her off.

All those years I spent as an SCCA corner worker watching guys warm cars up for several laps and then cool them down kind of burned this into my mind.

Chris

Even in a non turbo car, I prefer to get her really good and up to temp before I get on her, and let her cool down before I shut her off.

All those years I spent as an SCCA corner worker watching guys warm cars up for several laps and then cool them down kind of burned this into my mind.

Chris

That sounds a lot like sex.

Chris

Then dump "her", leave "her" cluelessly lost, 2 months 'late', and crying to "her" friends on MySpace. Like an Avril Lavigne song.

Edited by longtooth

The Aurora was originally slated to be a Cadillac. But his argument will somehow involve DOHC.

The Aurora name was used as a Cadillac concept car way back in the day, but the actual Aurora was not designed as a Cadillac. It was designed as an Olds that could be sold as a Buick if Olds were to be shut down. That's why the radio is the only place that says Oldsmobile in the classic Auroras--very easy to switch out a radio, no other badging. I also suspect that that's the reason the Toronado's classic rear light bar was made much more rounded-looking for the Aurora.

GM had to stop this insanity with name changes. Just pick one and stick with it.

Cobalt to Cruze...when will it end? Get some consistancy so that the buying public

knows what you are selling. Ever heard the names, Civic, Accord, Camry, Corolla?

Instant recognition.

All these name have been considered class leaders and have few negitive thing tied to their names.

The Cavaliers by the general non GM loving public have been considerd and seen as close but no cigar type cars.

It is simple makreting as a new car name has no negitive ties to it from the past if there are any. And in this case fair or not there is some baggage. We may love the Cobalt but not enough other people do. A new name open some simple closed minds.

Also the marketing of one name for a world platform is a lot simpler and cost effective. Cost is everything today.

The Aurora was originally slated to be a Cadillac. But his argument will somehow involve DOHC.

It does. The Aurora had a DOHC V8 the Riviera had a Civil War era, pushrod V6. The Riviera had the 4T60 tranny (later the 4T65) while the Aurora used the 4T80 from that it shared with Cadillac. Plus the Aurora (1st or 2nd generation) had a better interior layout and better materials than the Riviera. And for some reason, the Riviera was 8 inches longer than my Aurora, yet the Riviera has 2 doors. What is the point of a 2 door that is as long as a DTS.

Not everyone wants a tiny Aveo or fit....

It's a good idea to keep the Balt around for two reasons-

1. Choice= more sales.....The Balt should be closer to being able to pay for itself...A few minor updates should be fine..GM really needs all the small cars it can-regarless whether it is cutting edge or not.

2. The Cruze is going to be priced higher...about 2 grand more (remember the Bu'?) Those who are looking for a basic , no frills car will be able to get the Balt..

Granted, I would take a base Cruze over a Cobalt....

The Cobalt is 86 cubic feet interior volume and 14 cu ft trunk. The Honda Fit is 90 cu ft passenger volume and 21 cu ft luggage volume. 111 cu ft total interior volume, much roomier than a Cobalt.

If they want to keep a previous generation car around, then it should be badged as a Pontiac, and let Pontiac sell cheap cars and fleet sale cars. GM has enough dated models that drag down resale values of brands as it is, the Cobalt should die the day the first Cruze is made. Although I don't like changing names every model cycle (maybe if they didn't make half ass cars with a poor reputation/image they wouldn't have to do that), Civic and Corolla have been around 30-40 years, people know what they are. The average consumer that doesn't know a lot about cars won't know what a Cruze is, but they'll know what a Civic is, and their perception of it will be that is reliable, has high gas mileage, and class leading resale value.

The Cobalt is 86 cubic feet interior volume and 14 cu ft trunk. The Honda Fit is 90 cu ft passenger volume and 21 cu ft luggage volume. 111 cu ft total interior volume, much roomier than a Cobalt.

Wouldn't it be fairer to compare the fit to the Cobalt hatch rather than sedan.

Passenger vol 97 cu ft. and 67 cu ft. of lugage volume.

Yes but when are they going to get it right?.....it's been 50 years of trying to make a small car. And umpteen name changes.

Cobalt has no negative image for me.....they should leave it.

Well it is now or never. The card have to be laid down.

As for the Cobalt name it was not so negitive as it was close but not good enough car.

I have images of cheap door panels of the first one I ever saw yet.

The new name is not going make or break any heritage here.

The future of GM can be made simple and sucessful. Simply don't kill off any brand yet (save for maybe Hummer). Build the new Camaro, Traverse, G8 GXP, Solstice Targa, G8 ST, Cruze, Volt, Invicta/LaX/Regal (whatever it is called) get out the new Lucerne/DTS/STS. The road ahead should be bright and get those six speeds in the GMT-900's already. And where is my Silverado SS already? Give Pontiac a new G6 and compact along with the Cruze and you will be set.

didn't someone say that cruze or something similar would have a hatchback/wagon model... time to dump the vibe!!!!!

There are more than a sedan planned for the Cruze. I agreee dump the Vibe.

If you want to show you have a better product you don't rebadge a competiors car to your own.