New Motor Trend mag.

BuddyP

Just got my Dec M/T mag today. If you don't have a subscription, pick one up at the news stand. Main article is the Z06 vs Ford GT vs Dodge Viper. All back to back tested in the same conditions. The GT was quickest with a 11.5 ET but the ZO6 was nipping at it's front bumper with a 11.6 ET. The Viper was slowest of the 3. But while the Z only got beat by .1 in the 1/4 miles, it bested the Viper and GT's cornering, slalom, track lap time and braking distance... all for $68k vs $166k of the GT. Also (we're not done yet) is a article of the Pontiac Solstice vs Mazda MX5 and Charger SRT8 vs Pontiac GTO.

Just got my Dec M/T mag today. If you don't have a subscription, pick one up at the news stand.

Main article is the Z06 vs Ford GT vs Dodge Viper. All back to back tested in the same conditions. The GT was quickest with a 11.5 ET but the ZO6 was nipping at it's front bumper with a 11.6 ET. The Viper was slowest of the 3. But while the Z only got beat by .1 in the 1/4 miles, it bested the Viper and GT's cornering, slalom, track lap time and braking distance... all for $68k vs $166k of the GT.

Also (we're not done yet) is a article of the Pontiac Solstice vs Mazda MX5 and Charger SRT8 vs Pontiac GTO.

[post="35229"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

SO....did they pick the Z to win?

SO....did they pick the Z to win?

[post="35236"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I didn't read the article yet... but it doesn't look like they went out placing the 3. I think it's just a camparo in general.

There is also a 2 page article in the front about the '07 Tahoe with good pics (same ones seen on this site)

Did they do like 0-150 times? It'd be interesting to see which vehicle is ahead after they reach the 150mph mark, which is probably close to the fastest they'd get on the track (assuming it's not an oval). Sounds like a good "American Muscle" issue like they did 6 or so months ago with the 300 SRT8, CTS-V, and GTO, which was a lot of fun to read.

no 0-150 runs, just 0-100 and 1/4 miles. 1/4 miles vette was 126.6mph and GT was 128.7mph Does anybody know how the mags get these cars? And is there any chance of a manufacturer tweeking these cars before giving them to the mags to show better test numbers??? M/T did a rear wheel dyno between the 3, and with figuring a 14-15:% loss of power from a manual tranny to the rear wheels M/T was figuring out what the actual output of the motor was... Z06 - claim 505hp, 453 on dyno - 10.3% loss Viper - 510, 447 on dyno - 12.4% loss GT - 550, 535 on dyno - 2.7% loss In other words, they are estimating both the Z and Viper to be 530 at the crank and 600 at the crank of the GT..... Did Ford boost hp of this one car to look good in the mag or do you think the GT's hp claims are down due to other reasons?

I've read in the past that manufacturers may have provided 'ringers' to the magazines for testing (i.e. cars tweaked beyond production specification), so who knows? I'm not sure there is much documented evidence of this happening..

Did they do like 0-150 times? It'd be interesting to see which vehicle is ahead after they reach the 150mph mark, which is probably close to the fastest they'd get on the track (assuming it's not an oval).

They should also do 0-60-0 times if they don't do them already.

Guest YellowJacket894

What info?  I have the issue and haven't seen anything.

[post="36392"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh, sorry. That was last month's issue. But it read that Chevy is testing both rear-drive and front-drive versions of the next Impala with sheetmetal designed to look something like the 1963 model. Which means, yes. No more vertical tail lamps or two tail lights per side, as in a Bel Air or the 2000 - 2005 Imp. And there will be six tail lights total.

Well, I am somewhat dissappointed now that I got it. They picked the Miata over the Solstice and the lame Charger over the GTO. The article on the Viper vs Vette + Ford GT was pretty cool. Now if they can only take that same enthusiasm and put it into cars then we would not have to worry about Japan and Germany.

Miata over Solstice is a no brainer. Its pretty much Mazda's flagship car, versus a niche car GM made. Regardless, almost all Solstices are accounted for, so the domestic buying public wont be persuaded by a biased comparison test. Im rather confused how a 4-door sedan compares to a 2-door coupe, for lack of better competition I guess. Either way, theres been enough coverage on the 300 and Magnum to fill a cruise ship with, so I dont get why they have to compare the Magnum to the GTO when it was already done in a previous issue (CTS-V vs GTO vs 300 SRT8). More bad publicity for the GTO, which was ousted by the Mustang GT based on the "gotta have it" factor alone. (The GTO beat it in most categories, had more points, but they gave it significantly more points in this category, pushing its total to 1 point above the GTO, thus winning). Did the Viper beat the Z06 to 60 or in the quarter mile?

Miata over Solstice is a no brainer. Its pretty much Mazda's flagship car, versus a niche car GM made. Regardless, almost all Solstices are accounted for, so the domestic buying public wont be persuaded by a biased comparison test. Im rather confused how a 4-door sedan compares to a 2-door coupe, for lack of better competition I guess. Either way, theres been enough coverage on the 300 and Magnum to fill a cruise ship with, so I dont get why they have to compare the Magnum to the GTO when it was already done in a previous issue (CTS-V vs GTO vs 300 SRT8). More bad publicity for the GTO, which was ousted by the Mustang GT based on the "gotta have it" factor alone. (The GTO beat it in most categories, had more points, but they gave it significantly  more points in this category, pushing its total to 1 point above the GTO, thus winning). Did the Viper beat the Z06 to 60 or in the quarter mile?

[post="38365"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Who cares, the Charger is a lame excuse for a performance car. It looks like a pile of trash and should NOT have the Charger name. What a waste.

Did the Viper beat the Z06 to 60 or in the quarter mile?

[post="38365"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Neither.

0-60:

Z06: 3.8 sec
SRT10: 4.0 sec

Quarter Mile:

Z06: 11.6 sec @ 126.6 mph
SRT10: 12 sec @ 121.9 mph

Pretty sad for the Viper considering it has two more cylinders, one more liter of displacement, significantly more torque, and a better power-to-weight ratio than the Z06. Could the Viper have poor gearing?

Viper had better power to weight? I'll have to look at the weights again, but I thought it was the other way around. Edit: Ok, Viper is 3445lbs at 510hp and Z06 is 3169lbs at 505hp. Z06 has the better power to weight over the Viper. Edited by BuddyP

Viper had better power to weight? I'll have to look at the weights again, but I thought it was the other way around.

Edit: Ok, Viper is 3445lbs at 510hp and Z06 is 3169lbs at 505hp. Z06 has the better power to weight over the Viper.

[post="38531"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, my bad. I read it wrong, The Viper had more weight to power not power to weight.

Who cares, the Charger is a lame excuse for a performance car. It looks like a pile of trash and should NOT have the Charger name. What a waste.

[post="38387"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Are you kidding? The Charger is WAY more attractive and WAY more distinctive than the melted soap GTO. If either car's styling is a disgrace to the name it is the GTO.

The Charger is a great car...styling, performance, value...it's all there.

[post="38744"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Charger needs a better interior and more distinctive rear-end styling. Those two things make it a solid winner, IMO, Hemi engine and RWD or not. Even without them, its a damn fine car. I've seen a few in black and blue and it makes for a handsome sedan, far better-looking than the bland 300. I still don't know what happened there.

The Z06 also ripped off a 3.4-second dash to 60 in the new C&D comparison test against the Viper. The Corvette beat the Viper in EVERY performance category but one (lane change, I think, where it was slower by 0.1 mph), beat it around the track by a second and a half, and cost about $19000 less as-tested. They said the car made them very nervous, but the funny thing is that every other test has claimed that it sticks like glue to the road. Still beat the Viper up and stole its lunch money, though, as it garnered 206 points to the Dodge's 178. "This brawl was over even before the teachers broke it up. In every performance category except one, the Vette won or tied the Viper." "We're still buzzing over the Z06's ferocious 3.4-second burst to 60 mph. That's two-tenths quicker than the Z06 we tested in October." "One editor likened it to 'having a booster rocket at the end of your foot.'" "Jumping on it at any point thrusts the car forward with such fury that four-letter expletives fly uncontrollably from your mouth." The nervousness imparted by the Corvette bothers me a bit, but this is absolutely the first time I've heard anything about it. I've seen two other comparison tests and many individual tests of the Z06 and it was never called anything but stable and sure-footed. Perhaps it was just this particular racetrack? Edited by VetteZ06

The nervousness imparted by the Corvette bothers me a bit, but this is absolutely the first time I've heard anything about it. I've seen two other comparison tests and many individual tests of the Z06 and it was never called anything but stable and sure-footed. Perhaps it was just this particular racetrack?

[post="39031"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I read the review too and it sounded like the track was in worse shape than most tracks, so they could have had something to do with it.