Car shopping with my cousin

A cousin of mine who is like a sister to me called this evening and asked me to go lot hopping with her. She has almost 100k on her Liberty, and the air conditioning compressor has gone bye-bye to the tune of $700, and with gas prices the way they are, she's maybe looking to replace her vehicle. Here's a list of the vehicles we looked at at her behest:

Dodge Journey

Dodge Caliber

Dodge Charger SXT

Subaru Forester

Toyota Rav4

Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Matrix

Mazda 3

Nissan Rogue

Smrt Cabrio

Saturn Astra 5 door

Saturn VUE

Saturn SKY

VW Eos

VW Tiguan

VW Rabbit

Honda CR-V

Pontiac Vibe

Suzuki SX4

Jeep Liberty

Jeep Compass

Jeep Patriot

Which should she buy? :scratchchin:

Edited by ocnblu

I can't see any of those lowering her cost of living ('cept maybe the SMRT). She's going to get nothing for the Liberty due to the mileage and the fact that it's an SUV, so she'll be footing the bill for the majority of the purchase. I'd say just keep it and run it into the ground. Paying gas bills on the Liberty will still be cheaper than a new car payment plus gas bills.

But I know how women are, so she's already got it in her mind that she wants to dump the Liberty. Check out the Escape/Mariner hybrid, HHR, Cobalt sedan XFE, and (ugh) the Fit.

Like me with my Sierra, she loves her Liberty, but laments gas prices. Also, I need to clarify: she has not fixed her a/c, she is deliberating whether to fix that and keep the Jeep or sell it. So she is uncomfortable in the heat while driving. She is unsure if a car will suit her after driving Jeeps for the last 15 years or so, so at least a hatchback is a must for her, if not AWD.

Actually I think her favorite of the night was the Astra 5-door with the huge sunroof, followed by the Matrix AWD and the Vibe we found open and test-sat. She finds the CR-V ugly, which warmed my heart. I will continue to steer her away from Toyota as much as I can, but she is stubborn.

I told her to make a short list and drive everything on the list, so we'll see if and when she is ready to take the plunge. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Like me with my Sierra, she loves her Liberty, but laments gas prices. Also, I need to clarify: she has not fixed her a/c, she is deliberating whether to fix that and keep the Jeep or sell it. So she is uncomfortable in the heat while driving. She is unsure if a car will suit her after driving Jeeps for the last 15 years or so, so at least a hatchback is a must for her, if not AWD.

Actually I think her favorite of the night was the Astra 5-door with the huge sunroof, followed by the Matrix AWD and the Vibe we found open and test-sat. She finds the CR-V ugly, which warmed my heart. I will continue to steer her away from Toyota as much as I can, but she is stubborn.

I told her to make a short list and drive everything on the list, so we'll see if and when she is ready to take the plunge. Thanks for the input, everyone.

CPF said you and any of your family members have been banned from buying any GME products, time to schlep off to Pontiac. :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

OK, I'll let her know, Borger. She doesn't like the fact she couldn't see the front end of the Vibe from the driver's seat (which would be the same in a Matrix), so I guess it's off to VW for a Tiguan or Rabbit.:smilewide:

Seriously ocn, if she fixes the A/C it's fine right? And if she loves it I don't see why it would be worth it to trade the Jeep in. I don't know the numbers, but I'd assume the trade-in or resale value would be less than whatever new car she wants to buy. So she would have to spend more on said new car, and then pay for gas for it, as opposed to just paying for gas for the Jeep.

This is why we don't mind that the Merc doesn't get the world's greatest fuel economy. Sure a new, smaller car gets better fuel economy, but you're paying tens of thousands of dollars for that verses I think about $1,400 for the big V8 tank (counting registration fees too).

ocn, I agree with DF about your cousin getting the A/C fixed and keeping the Liberty. If she's truly happy with it, and it only needs the A/C fixed to make her satisfied with it again, then I say for her to go that route. Since March I pretty much drove the Envoy as my daily driver (the wife didn't like it, and preferred the AURA to it anyway). Now that the Envoy is gone and the AURA is my daily driver, I really, really, really miss the Envoy. I'm sure that if your cousin is happy with the ride, handling, and seating position of a in Jeep for the last 15 years, moving down (quite literally, too!) to a car will be a BIG adjustment for her. Depending on how much she really wants a new car, she needs to think this over carefully before she regrets her decision.

Actually, I need to say something: of the cars, she liked the Kiss my Asstra, of ALL the vehicles we looked at, the new Liberty with the canvas top was her absolute fave... that's what she'd get, imo, if gasoline weren't so oppressive these days. That tells me she wouldn't be happy for long if she got into a car.

This gas price thing is not fair, by a long shot. And I will never believe it is real, either... it is based on nothing REAL.

I've had many ask me for help in purchasing a vehicle and what I find is they get exactly what they set out to buy.

Nothing wrong with that but I don't know why I was consulted.

From your list, the Jeep Liberty is my choice. It is back to being a Jeep.

i like the current liberty, but gas. the canvas top is the bomb.

i see no fords. i drove an 09 escape with the engine and tranny and handling upgrades the other day. the butchiness of the packaging of the escape coming out of the liberty to her may be appealing. 22k off a 27k list for an 09 v6 w/ 240hp, 6 speed auto, sync and lots of utility and a sunroof with sedan like handling and good mpg might be a nice transition for her from the trucky liberty to the kind of half hearted trucky escape. the salesguy who was with me was even impressed since it was his first ride in an 09. he said he could tell the engine had tons more snap and the ride was greatly improved. to me it steered and soaked bumps up like a car. just a tall one. incredibly refined and sedan like.

edge too......cheaper models.

neighbor has an sx4 and loves it.

jetta sportwagen?

forester is nice. the vw's and gm stuff always appeals to me. i test drove an HHR SS manual today and that was a major hoot. a lovely little car. do you think she'd like a plain HHR? or an HHR SS auto? big rebates right now.

she might like the outlander too. real cargo space, big warranty, nicer than the RAV4 and much more useful than the rogue, IMHO.

does an equinox sport or torrent GXP register here?

i had an extended spin in an astra xr 5 door the other day, great car but if she gravtitates to it, take it out on a solid 20+ miles run and drive the thing at 75+ on the freeway and see if you can tolerate the 4000 rpms on the tach. that's tiring. that and no armrest = deal breaker, even with the cool as hell sunroof.

9-3 sportcombi?

Edited by regfootball

She refused to stop at the Ford or Chevy dealer, commenting that she thinks the Equinox interior is cheesy. I didn't mention the HHR (which I really like myself). The only Ford she likes right now is the Edge, but it is too expensive. Not sure why she doesn't like the Escape, I think it's a nice vehicle. She walked right by the Tribute at the Mazda dealer to look at the 3 hatch. She loves to drive stick, but could go with automatic, she's not hung up on transmission type. She walked by the Sportwagen to drool over the Tiguan. She was hot and heavy for a Torrent a few months ago... but we actually forgot to check them out the other night. SAAB is too expensive for her. The Subaru dealership is on the same lot as Mitsu, but we didn't check any of them out, either.

Harley, I agree. Plus, I don't want to be blamed if the person ends up not liking their new vehicle after I recommended it. I recommended the Cobalt to my mom, and almost every time I ride in it with her, she complains. Blah blah blah.

It's always risky recommending to friend's and family. After all, how many people know what they want and how many people are informed enough to ask the right questions? I've seen lots of people asking about sedans and then drive off in a convertible. You never really know what is going on inside their mind. Plus, with family they may be to embarassed to be completely honest with you. (What they want versus what they can afford, for example.)

Of course it's always fun when a friend buys a vehicle without your help, then comes whining to you when they realized they made a mistake, as was the case with a friend of mine that thought they bought a 1 year old 155" cargo van, but ended up with a 135" van.

For the most part, I stay out of it with friends and family. Let them buy what they want and avoid the subject at Thanksgiving.

Fix the Liberty and problem solved.

Until something else breaks and runs up another $1000 bill. High mileage=increased liklihood of problems. Its why most people dont keep cars when the miles start piling up. Repairs and maintenance add up, its cheaper to make payments on a car with a warranty than keep a car that paid off and have it nickel and dime you to death.

Agreed. If she has the money and decides to spend it on something new instead of fixing a 100k mile vehicle, I support that. If she decides to fix it, that's fine too. I know what I'd do.

She refused to stop at the Ford or Chevy dealer, commenting that she thinks the Equinox interior is cheesy. I didn't mention the HHR (which I really like myself). The only Ford she likes right now is the Edge, but it is too expensive. Not sure why she doesn't like the Escape, I think it's a nice vehicle. She walked right by the Tribute at the Mazda dealer to look at the 3 hatch. She loves to drive stick, but could go with automatic, she's not hung up on transmission type. She walked by the Sportwagen to drool over the Tiguan. She was hot and heavy for a Torrent a few months ago... but we actually forgot to check them out the other night. SAAB is too expensive for her. The Subaru dealership is on the same lot as Mitsu, but we didn't check any of them out, either.

Harley, I agree. Plus, I don't want to be blamed if the person ends up not liking their new vehicle after I recommended it. I recommended the Cobalt to my mom, and almost every time I ride in it with her, she complains. Blah blah blah.

I think females often want a male along for moral support, I think...not really for any recommendation.

I got thinking about the list of possibles....and what I like about the Jeep Liberty is that it's authentic.

Most of the others are poseurs. Trying to be something they aren't. To be honest, I wish GM had something

like the Liberty. Have you told your cousin about that huge sunroof option on the Jeep?....the Sky Slider:

sunroofau0.jpg

Edited by HarleyEarl

Oh I didn't have to breathe a word, she already knew and she loves it.

Suggest she buy that then. If she's really hurting for gas she could maybe drive less, ride a bike, walk, buy a cheap small used car, or something like that. If she can afford the new ca I would think gas prices wouldn't be that huge of an issue.

People shouldn't have to give up what they love and settle for something else they know they don't really want because gas is a whole dollar more. I mean seriously...spending thousands on a new car...do you really want to look at it everyday and sigh a little because deep down that's not what you really wanted?

Edited by Dodgefan