mustang84

Mercury Will Live!

22 posts in this topic

Finally the rumors can be put to rest.

DEARBORN, Michigan: Ford Motor, which devoted itself for nearly 20 years to putting millions of Americans into big pickup trucks and sport-utility vehicles, is about to drastically alter its focus to building more small cars.

The struggling automaker, reacting to what it sees as a rapid and permanent shift in consumer tastes brought on by high gas prices, plans to unveil its new direction on Thursday, when it will report quarterly earnings.

Among the changes, Ford is expected to announce that it will convert three of its North American assembly plants from trucks to cars, according to people familiar with the plans.

And as part of the huge bet it is placing on the future direction of the troubled American auto industry, Ford will realign factories to manufacture more fuel-efficient engines and produce six of its next European car models for the United States market.

The company will also end speculation about its Mercury division by making the brand an integral part of its new small-car strategy, according to these people, who spoke on the condition that they not be quoted by name because of the timing of the official announcement on Thursday.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/22/business/22ford.php

It's.... it's like I thought out the problem or something....

What a concept. None of us here ever thought of that.

Where's that Bold Moves slogan? because Ford has finally earned it.

i hope a capri roadster is part of the deal :)

Uggg.... no thanks.

We need another ugly "tylenol tab" shaped

FWD Miata-wannabe like a hole i the head.

Shotgun!!!

- I mean dibs... uhhh.... punch-buggy-magenta! :P

Mercury will die.

How do you figure it will die if it sells world class small cars which is what the public is clambering for right now?

How do you figure it will die if it sells world class small cars which is what the public is clambering for right now?

What makes you think that these people will chose Mercury over premium small vehicles from Saturn, Buick (?), VW, Audi, Chrysler (?), Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc., etc. People haven't been chosing Mercury for a long time, why will they start now?

What makes you think that these people will chose Mercury over premium small vehicles from Saturn, Buick (?), VW, Audi, Chrysler (?), Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc., etc. People haven't been chosing Mercury for a long time, why will they start now?

I personally think mercury has more relevance than Saturn, I've seen more Mercury ads than Saturn. Even with the great Astra, it's just not promoted enough. I see far more Mercury's of the 2008 model year than Saturns...just curious, how well does Saturn sell in comparison? Chrysler has no premium small car, neither does Buick, Toyota and Nissan's small cars are only average, with Honda's small cars being the real standout. However they have no where near the style of the Euro Fords.

I'm not saying that it'll be a guaranteed success, it could very well fail, but Mercury is still advertised decently, and is projected as being, if only slightly more, premium compared to Fords, always has been. Saturn was a brand that was different and sold on cheap small cars, nit it has to try to convince peopel to buy more expensive cars, and that it is premium now, while not being advertised nearly enough.

The recipe is right though. Bringing world class Fords from Europe over, which are more premium than NA Fords, badging them as Mercuries, and advertising them to a public who is very weary of gas prices and looking for good small cars.

Just my : :twocents:

That Northie is the point am trying to make. But I would like to see Merc and for sure Lincoln live.

Why would anyone pay over $21,000 for a fancy Camry?!? </1988>

Why would anyone pay over $30,000 for a Volkswagen?!? </1998>

Why would anyone pay over $30,000 for a Hyundai?!? </2008>

If Mercury becomes the outlet for the Euro Fucos, C-max, and another premium small car, combined with the Mariner and Milan hybrids, they could make for an appealing brand to people that value quality over size. Small, premium cars are going to do well. This could work if Ford does it right, but they have to differentiate Mercury form Ford more, and get rid of the Sable and Mountaineer.

Mini is sold out for 2008, even with 3 shifts a day, 7 days a week running at 100% capacity they have a 1 day supply of cars. Funny how Bob Lutz said Americans won't buy small premium cars. There are plenty of people that don't mind spending money on a car, but do mind spending it gas or are green image concious and don't want a guzzler/polluter.

Edited by smk4565

Uggg.... no thanks.

We need another ugly "tylenol tab" shaped

FWD Miata-wannabe like a hole i the head.

2psn3sy.gif

If the products are good, and are priced accordingly, and are differentiated from Ford brand vehicles, it should be successful.

I was very happy to read this news yesterday. I think it's a brilliant plan. Keep Ford as the value brand, with traditionally-priced small cars like the Focus. Mercury will keep its role as upscale from Ford, with the tremendous new advantage of being well differentiated from its plebian sister. Lincoln can continue on her path. It makes perfect sense.

I was very happy to read this news yesterday. I think it's a brilliant plan. Keep Ford as the value brand, with traditionally-priced small cars like the Focus. Mercury will keep its role as upscale from Ford, with the tremendous new advantage of being well differentiated from its plebian sister. Lincoln can continue on her path. It makes perfect sense.

yes. exactly. another factor. women. women will buy mercurys. cutting mercury eliminates ford from those buyers. mercury allows them to sell step up fords without having to take lincoln too far down in size and price. even with say, 4 models, since FLM is consolidating at dealer levels, its not like they are competing for sales like they sometimes might be with GM.

best part. we still get jill wagner in a hot dress standing in front of a car. MMMMMMMMM

Edited by regfootball

The same reason all you GM fans say that the public will start choosing GM now.

Product, product, product!!!

just looked it up and realized Mercury has been dead up here for almost a decade (save the grand marquis I believe) and I hadn't even noticed

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor