So how about a base V8 Camaro?

Northstar

This thread that had a bunch of rumors in it, one of which was a Camaro with a V8 under $22,000, got me thinking: Why not put a V8 in the base Camaro? It'd be great for advertising, and would basically compete with Ford's V6 Mustang. Even if it didn't have 300HP, it'd still be better than the Mustang's 210HP V6.

What about fuel mileage you say? If GM does a Gen IV 4800 with DOD, I'm guessing it'd get pretty good mileage. The 5.3L LS4 with DOD in the Impala gets 18MPG city and 28 MPG highway, and weighs 3700lbs. The difference in weight should be enough to give the Camaro a bump of 1-2 MPG alone, and the 4800 should get better mileage than the 5300. Even if GM went with the 3900 I'm not sure it'd get much better mileage; the 3900 gets 19MPG city and 27MPG highway, which is pretty comparable to what the LS4 gets in the Impala SS. Finally, a Mustang V6 gets 19 MPG city/28 MPG highway, so a base Camaro V8 with DOD would get comparable numbers, if not better.

Our insiders have said that the rumors (at least most of them) are not true, so I'm not sure we'll see a Camaro with a V8 standard, but I don't see why it couldn't work. The Camaro had been unsucessful against the Mustang in the last few years it was around, so why not get a leg up on the Mustang and offer standard V8 power? Just imagine the marketing... "The new Camaro comes with a standard 285HP V8 and gets better mileage than the Mustang V6."

Anyways, here's my proposed Camaro lineup:
Base - 4.8L DOD - 285HP
Z/28 - 5.3L DOD - 365HP
SS - 6.2L "LS3" - 425HP

Thoughts?

Isn't insurance for V8 models more expensive than the V6 counterparts? Plus I think GM should have a real cheap 3900 version that takes full advantage of the best attributes of pushrod V6s: compact, good mileage, and cheap.

Isn't insurance for V8 models more expensive than the V6 counterparts? Plus I think GM should have a real cheap 3900 version that takes full advantage of the best attributes of pushrod V6s: compact, good mileage, and cheap.

[post="2535"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree. I think there needs to be a V6 model Camaro to bring the price of entry below 20K and to go after the V6 Mustang (where most of the Mustang's sales usually come from). The 3900 is probably the most realistic choice for use in a V6 Camaro, though I'd personally love an I6 (dreaming).

They only manuifactured 243,000 Caamros in 1969... the demand FAR exceedes the supply. If we're lucky there's 100,000 of them on the road and drivable and another 40,000 sittign in backyards and barns waiting to be rescued. There's PLENTY of people who want a '69 but can't afford one.. hell I'm one of them! Mean time thought my heart says keep the Camaro V8 only my brain says we need the Secretary's model V6 for the rental car companies young guys & girls. Look at NOS, he might not been able to afford a V8 and insure it at the same time.

Add a ZL1 if the SS only makes 425...

[post="3213"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't see a need for a Camaro to have more than 425-450HP. If there were to be a ZL1 with say 475HP, who is honestly going to buy it for $45k or whatever over a base Vette that will have 450HP by that time? Unless you REALLY need the back seat (if it's even usable), what's the point?

I guess a V6 model would be acceptable for lowering insurance costs and whatnot, but isn't insurance pretty expensive on a Camaro V6 anyways since it's probably classified as a sports car too?

I don't see a need for a Camaro to have more than 425-450HP. If there were to be a ZL1 with say 475HP, who is honestly going to buy it for $45k or whatever over a base Vette that will have 450HP by that time? Unless you REALLY need the back seat (if it's even usable), what's the point?

I guess a V6 model would be acceptable for lowering insurance costs and whatnot, but isn't insurance pretty expensive on a Camaro V6 anyways since it's probably classified as a sports car too?

[post="3289"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wel, why then in 1969 did they sell 69 ZL1 Camaros and only 2 ZL1 Corvettes?

I'd even pay $60,000 if I had it for a ZL1 Camaro wiht 500hp. The back seat, sleeper element and great muscle car styling would be worth it!

They only manuifactured 243,000 Caamros in 1969... the demand FAR exceedes the supply. If we're lucky there's 100,000 of them on the road and drivable and another 40,000 sittign in backyards and barns waiting to be rescued.

There's PLENTY of people who want a '69 but can't afford one.. hell I'm one of them!

Mean time thought my heart says keep the Camaro V8 only my brain says we need the Secretary's model V6 for the rental car companies young guys & girls.

Look at NOS, he might not been able to afford a V8 and insure it at the same time.

[post="3187"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There will likely be more '69 Camaro's on the road now that the bodies are being reproduced...other than the frame, you can almost build one from a catalog now...kinda like a '32 Ford.

For more info, check out: http://www.dynacorn.com/

Yes but CARS just started shipping the bodies oput earlier this year.... they MIGHT get a few thousand built a year... MIGHT. his is not goint to be in hughe numbers. There's like 7 different Kit car manufactureres who build Shelby Cobra replicas (even turn key cars wiht frames and engines) and yet they only make a few hundred every year.

ToniCipriani - a Camaro convert wouldn't start at $19k so I don't think it would really compete with the Solstice for sales. However a Solstice coupe and a Camaro V6 might compete for sales. NOS - the GT500 doesn't have a Vette to run into at basically the same price range as a ZL1 would. I don't think many people would buy a $45k Camaro if they could have a Vette for the same price, unless of course they needed the back seat. Ford doesn't have anything above the GT500 until you get into six figure sums. If someone really wanted a super high-performance Camaro, they could just get an SS with the LS3 and supercharge it.

I think Chevy sould offer a super high performance camaro regardless of whether or not it would run into the Vette's territory mainly because not everybody, believe it or not likes the Corvette's styling compared to the Camaro. Oh and one more thing, I'm not a camaro guy that just talks, I'm the proud owner of my 2001 fully loaded black SS Camaro that's my pride and joy.

There NEEDS to be a V6 model if you want the Camaro to last more than 3 years.  Most Mustangs (and 4th Gens) sold were V6 models.  A V8 for $22k, not bad, but a V6 for $19k would put Chevrolet in a much better position to sell a lot of them.  I dont want to hear more whining about "We dont have a Camaro" if it comes and goes in the course of a few years because nobody bought the damn things.  I'm sure thats what will happen anyways, as, from my experience, Camaro guys are usually all talk, where as Mustang guys go out and buy the cars.

[post="3338"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

wow thats not a stupid remark or anything.

I dont think an I-5 Camaro would go over well.  The 4.2 would be a pretty nice base engine.

[post="7014"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i was going to say 4.2, but that engine is too powerful for a base engine. too high insurance costs... thats why i went with the 3.5L... regardless if they were made to be revvers instead of stop light kings they could be some serious fun even if they arent all that powerful.

With the higher gas prices, why not make a Camaro with a Base I4 engine.... maybe the 2.8L Atlas I4, it has decent hp and a goodly amount of torque... mate it up to a nice 5-spd and its acceleration could be lively. itd be a nice "sporty" coupe with some decent MPG numbers. they did it for years in the 70s and 80s, so why not now?

Dont be silly, GM would never put the hybrid version in a Camaro.

[post="7033"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why NOT? Now THAT would be a smart move. Never hurts to have 100% of a Niche market.

With the higher gas prices, why not make a Camaro with a Base I4 engine....
they did it for years in the 70s and 80s, so why not now?

[post="9365"][/post]

Ford sold a shitload of 4-banger Fox mustangs. IN the end everyone benefited. Girls had fun little Mustangs with good fuel economy and because Ford sold so many they managed to kep the price of a nice 5.0 (4.9) Stang down to bargain basement levels.

Posted Image

NO 4 cly or 5 cyl as a base! A V6 is fine! Ford did sell alot of Fox body 4cly---but it was either that or the V8. I bet if there was a V6 it would have done better then the 4cly. 4cly is a embarassement plain and simple. I laugh at losers that own them. I had a Mustnag once---at least it was a V8

I used to think that way Avro, I got to tell you tough I'll deal wiht a few Camsro's having pedestrian ecotechs. It will make it that much easier to make a sleeper LS7 car. :D

If it was not for Insurance and the ((PERCEVED)) idea that V8's mean BAD FUEL ECONOMY with these BAAAAAD fuel price's. Allong with some NORMALY ASPERATED three and a half liter V6's putting out 300+HP now I would agree with you. But SADDLY these things are TRUE! I would LOVE for GM to find a good use for the 4.8L V8 "WITH OVER 300HP" in the future. Like a G6 GXP or TRUE Malibu SS or a Premium ULTRA version of the La Crosse but they look to be KILLING IT instead! <_<

Base V-8 Camaro (and Firebird)-great idea! I don't know why they made it unavailable for the 1993 redesign and for Mustang's 1994 redesign and haven't been since. I was raised on the notion that even the base model can have the option of a V-8 (or V-6) engine, with no strings (preferred equipment groups) attached, or having to cough up an extra $2,000+.