A little oil poll....

Ok, I;ve been thinking (watch out! :AH-HA_wink: )

I'm getting ready to switch oils in the Cobalt.

The Balt has been running Quaker State dino up till now.

But I think it's time for an upgrade. :yes:

I would like to drop Mobil 1 in, but since I didn't break the car in (and guessing not easy either), and the milage (around 40k), I don't want to deal with the hassles of going full Syn.....

So I have decided to go with a syn blend- either Valvoline Durablend or Castrol Snytec Blend.

I wanted to know what you guy/gals thought....which brand do you use? And if so, do you like it?

Right now, the Balt does mostly city driving, hence my reason for more protection...

The only time I used Castrol was with the Neon, and it burned through the GTX...Granted, the head gasket was going......

I'm leaning toward the Castrol, as my friend has had great success with it......

It's not much of a poll without an actual poll. :P

The blends are useless, as you get rid of all of the advantages of full synthetic by mixing it with dino oil.

Go Mobil1 and never look back. It's actually better to do it sooner than later because as cars get older the seals get older, and syntheic will find any leak. Which is why our cars just stick to the dino juice, since they're all near the 200k mark.

I've only converted two cars to Mobil-1 synthetic...

- my 1968 Camaro (GM perforamance catalog crate ZZ350)

- & the '84 Datsun that died a violent death from a head-on with red-light running BMW.

In most of the cars I drive there are minor-to-moderate oil leaks

& the milage is so high that synthetic does not make much sense.

It's not much of a poll without an actual poll. :P

The blends are useless, as you get rid of all of the advantages of full synthetic by mixing it with dino oil.

Go Mobil1 and never look back. It's actually better to do it sooner than later because as cars get older the seals get older, and syntheic will find any leak. Which is why our cars just stick to the dino juice, since they're all near the 200k mark.

Oh yeah-I forgot about that. :P

Though that is not quite true- I know people who run blends and have noticed changes in their cars.

I ran Durablend in the S-10 for a while, and I noticed a difference......

I run Mobil 1 in the wife's car (still runs like new), and the other cav will get it soon.

My worry with the Balt is that it will find leaks...don't want to deal with that...

So that is why I'm considering a blend....

Mobil 1 and you can realistically double your oil change interval.

Even with Mobil 1 and a good Wix filter, I still change the oil somewhere between 3000-4000 miles...

Call me old fashioned, I just don't trust leaving oil in for longer than needed....and I check it often.... :yes:

In synthetic oil circles across the globe, anoraks are claiming that Mobil 1 is no longer a pure synthetic because the basestock 298is220f is no longer KQEDD-certified Group 27A III... or something to that extent.

Apparently German Castrol Syntec (only available in 0W30) is the way to go. For the record, I use dino oil on cars that only call for dino oil...

In synthetic oil circles across the globe, anoraks are claiming that Mobil 1 is no longer a pure synthetic because the basestock 298is220f is no longer KQEDD-certified Group 27A III... or something to that extent.

Apparently German Castrol Syntec (only available in 0W30) is the way to go. For the record, I use dino oil on cars that only call for dino oil...

That, and the big fight between Castrol and Mobil on who's syn product is better....

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, GM and Chrysler both use Mobil 1 in there high performance stuff, we've got a Challenger sitting in our showroom at my job and the 6.1 Hemi in it uses Mobil 1 from the factory, just like Vettes. I would hands down say that for an everyday driver, Mobil 1 can't be beat. Now if you're running a high performance toy, run Royal Purple, otherwise, Mobil 1 will fix your fancies.

Actually, GM and Chrysler both use Mobil 1 in there high performance stuff, we've got a Challenger sitting in our showroom at my job and the 6.1 Hemi in it uses Mobil 1 from the factory, just like Vettes. I would hands down say that for an everyday driver, Mobil 1 can't be beat. Now if you're running a high performance toy, run Royal Purple, otherwise, Mobil 1 will fix your fancies.

And it means I can have a little more fun with the Balt and have no worries about the engine.... :yes:

The Balt does about 65 city/35 Hwy right.....

I've been inconsistent with the LeSabre because of the front seal leak, but I finally got around to putting a bottle of Lucas Stop Leak in, so I don't think the sale of the week will be going in anymore. I'm not going to run synthetic in it, but I haven't decided what I will use next time I change the oil.

I've been inconsistent with the LeSabre because of the front seal leak, but I finally got around to putting a bottle of Lucas Stop Leak in, so I don't think the sale of the week will be going in anymore. I'm not going to run synthetic in it, but I haven't decided what I will use next time I change the oil.

Watch out..Lucas tends to be crap...

Nothing wrong at all with Mobil 1 in a young car like your cobalt. Wont try it in my two old ones but I would if I bought new. Or even one with 25,000-30,000 miles. I did use it in a 2000 Monte Carlo and it did allow it to start easier in the cold weather.

• 3 months later...
Ok, I;ve been thinking (watch out! :AH-HA_wink: )

I'm getting ready to switch oils in the Cobalt.

The Balt has been running Quaker State dino up till now.

But I think it's time for an upgrade. :yes:

I would like to drop Mobil 1 in, but since I didn't break the car in (and guessing not easy either), and the milage (around 40k), I don't want to deal with the hassles of going full Syn.....

So I have decided to go with a syn blend- either Valvoline Durablend or Castrol Snytec Blend.

I wanted to know what you guy/gals thought....which brand do you use? And if so, do you like it?

Right now, the Balt does mostly city driving, hence my reason for more protection...

The only time I used Castrol was with the Neon, and it burned through the GTX...Granted, the head gasket was going......

I'm leaning toward the Castrol, as my friend has had great success with it......

I've always run Valvoline in everything until I started buying new cars and I've put all of them on Mobil 1 at their first oil change until my new Silverado, I decided on Royal Purple. I drive short trips almost exclusively, so I thought it was the best way to go. Still not sure what to run in the cutty. 109,000k miles and have no idea what they had been running in it since birth. I have great oil pressure, we always ran Valvo straight 50 Racing oil to keep up the oil pressure in our 350 Rocket motors. Probably just go with 10/40 Valvoline, a little late for a Syn I guess. I'm also scared to touch the tranny fluid, at that many miles I'm afraid to do a flush as bad as I want too. Even a filter and fluid change could lock her up if the fibers are too worn. Any suggestions? I did flush out the brake system and put on new hoses. The coolant looks amazing, so should be good there.

I've always run Valvoline in everything until I started buying new cars and I've put all of them on Mobil 1 at their first oil change until my new Silverado, I decided on Royal Purple. I drive short trips almost exclusively, so I thought it was the best way to go. Still not sure what to run in the cutty. 109,000k miles and have no idea what they had been running in it since birth. I have great oil pressure, we always ran Valvo straight 50 Racing oil to keep up the oil pressure in our 350 Rocket motors. Probably just go with 10/40 Valvoline, a little late for a Syn I guess. I'm also scared to touch the tranny fluid, at that many miles I'm afraid to do a flush as bad as I want too. Even a filter and fluid change could lock her up if the fibers are too worn. Any suggestions? I did flush out the brake system and put on new hoses. The coolant looks amazing, so should be good there.

Well, if the coolant is good, that's hope for a well cared for engine...

I would also change the trans fluid, just don't do a flush......

What about putting a syn Blend into the cutty?

Yeah I think it has been well maintained, thank goodness. I guess I could drop the tranny pan and change the fluid, its just 200r4, not a big deal to rebuild if I have too. A synblend would be ok I suppose. I wouldn't mind running a full syn, its worth it.

What hassles going full Synth? There is no alternative to Mobil 1.

Group V polyol ester based oils are a much better alternative if your budget allows, with Redline 5W-30 And Amsoil SSO 0W-30 being two examples. Several years ago, as a cost-cutting measure to compete with the lower end of the market, Mobil changed Mobil 1's base stock over to a blend of Group III hydrocracked mineral oil and Group IV PAO.

Having myself used Mobil 1 for many years before the formula changed, it was night and day obvious after using the the "new" Mobil 1 for a year or so. The entire time I kept wondering why it suddenly smelled liked used motor oil and looked like molasses when draining it. In my many vehicles, the "new" formula did not hold up nearly as well after 3K miles compared to 8-10K miles for the old formula.

If you want to use a Group III/Group IV-based synthetic to save money, there are better performers than Mobil 1 for a lot less money.

If you want to use a Group III/Group IV-based synthetic to save money, there are better performers than Mobil 1 for a lot less money.

Hmmm...what oils are better that save money? I'm curious...

The one thing that does brother me about Mobil 1 is that in my wife's Cavalier, the oil looks pretty nasty after just 3k on it....granted, the car does 70% city driving.....

But when I had my S-10, I used Valvoline Durablend, it was in better shape than the Mobil 1 than I use now.....

• 6 months later...

hey All, Since I am a newby here I will respond way late but I do have a bottom line in my personal opinion.

All oil talk should have one recommended item in my opinion,an oil analysis. This guy did not want to spend $ for the syn oil but,an oil analysis might save a early(unneeded) oil change ($) or an engine that has not been getting oil changes at the needed interval. It takes out the guess work and at least you know the TBN. MC

hey All, Since I am a newby here I will respond way late but I do have a bottom line in my personal opinion.

All oil talk should have one recommended item in my opinion,an oil analysis. This guy did not want to spend $ for the syn oil but,an oil analysis might save a early(unneeded) oil change ($) or an engine that has not been getting oil changes at the needed interval. It takes out the guess work and at least you know the TBN. MC

It's funny you say that, as I was planning on doing a UOA on the wife's Cavalier (Blackstone)

Granted, on UOA won't give you all the anwsers either.

My Balt is currently on a diet of Mobil 1, but will be switching to Pennzoil Platinum for the next oil change or two.

I'm planning to stay on synthetic on these cars unless I get a really good deal on oil somewhere....

Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Valvoline Synthetic are my choices in that order. Oh yea use the Mobil 1 filter too. Its a little more money, but it is a damn good oil filter.

Edited by Daryl Z71

Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Valvoline Synthetic are my choices in that order. Oh yea use the Mobil 1 filter too. Its a little more money, but it is a damn good oil filter.

True...as far as oils go, I'm pretty open.

One Cav is running Napa Synthetic, other other Mobil 1. The Balt is running M1, but will be running Pennzoil Platinum the next oil change...

I run cartridge filters (all 3 have the same #), but I'm sticking with AC Delco for now. (they are made in the USA.)

But M1, Wix and Bosch are all good filters....

What hassles going full Synth? There is no alternative to Mobil 1.

I would agree with Oldsmoboi and Dodgefan.

Although I've also run Shell Rotella in older gas motors and not had a problem with it...

Chris

True...as far as oils go, I'm pretty open.

One Cav is running Napa Synthetic, other other Mobil 1. The Balt is running M1, but will be running Pennzoil Platinum the next oil change...

I run cartridge filters (all 3 have the same #), but I'm sticking with AC Delco for now. (they are made in the USA.)

But M1, Wix and Bosch are all good filters....

I would stick with M1 in the 'balt...and nothing wrong with AC Delco filters...I've used them on every GM car I've owned and I love them!

Chris