09 TSX steering a 'DEAL BREAKER'

Overall, the TSX was relentlessly edgy, which seemed to be the result of a misguided attempt at sportiness. In addition to the twitchy steering, the ride was consistently choppy, even on nearly smooth roads. The suspension simply seemed too stiff. On some bumps, the front failed to absorb the entire impact and made the tail do funny things as it sponged the leftover bump shock.

The automatic transmission's shifts seemed closer to slam than slurrrr (not that the latter is more desirable; no pause/no jolt is the right combo). No problem if you have your game face on every time you drive. Annoying if you're beat to death at the end of a wretched work day and just want to get home to the family or a hot shower.

And at it's heart, it's still a Honda.

Sounds to me like Mr. Healey was having a bad day when he test drove the vehicle, and decided to take out his aggressive on it.

I'm gonna have to call BS on this review. :neenerneener:

His complaints, while the steering not being completely unwarranted, are way out there. He complained about how far the trunk opens when auto-popped. He complained about setting up the door lock timing saying it was too complicated. He complained about the voice system notifications and didn't even bother to try and figure out how to turn it off, instead saying "better to just put a bullet into it". He complained that the nav system is easy to use but "overkill" because it has features he thinks are useless.

He tries to make himself sound intelligent by saying things like "incongruously imprecise steering".

Sounds to me like Mr. Healey was having a bad day when he test drove the vehicle, and decided to take out his aggressive on it.

I'm gonna have to call BS on this review. :neenerneener:

His complaints, while the steering not being completely unwarranted, are way out there. He complained about how far the trunk opens when auto-popped. He complained about setting up the door lock timing saying it was too complicated. He complained about the voice system notifications and didn't even bother to try and figure out how to turn it off, instead saying "better to just put a bullet into it". He complained that the nav system is easy to use but "overkill" because it has features he thinks are useless.

He tries to make himself sound intelligent by saying things like "incongruously imprecise steering".

I'd actually like to drive it myself and form my own opinion, I doubt seriously the car is really this bad.

That being said, I miss the older Hondas. They were great drivers cars IMHO.

Chris

Edmunds review..

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=126300

I like stiffer suspensions and was disappointed when the IS250 came out all soft compared to the IS300. I wonder how this compares.

I don't know...a lof of cars have softer suspension tuning than I prefer.

A lot of cars could use better suspension tuning IMHO.

Chris

My GF has a 2006 TSX, its just about right IMO, could be a little bit stiffer. The car is a very good commuter car, 27mpg average, nice handling, great stick shift, nice steering feel. Very well put together though the doors don't close with a nice reassuring thunk. Not for a familiy of larger than average sized people though.

My GF has a 2006 TSX, its just about right IMO, could be a little bit stiffer. The car is a very good commuter car, 27mpg average, nice handling, great stick shift, nice steering feel. Very well put together though the doors don't close with a nice reassuring thunk. Not for a familiy of larger than average sized people though.

The TSX isn't a bad car. Before I bought my Miata, I was looking at a Civic SI. Actually was cheaper to lease a TSX than an SI by about $75 per month,

Chris

I don't know about the TSX.....I've never driven it.....(the new one).....

But I've always thought of Healy as a real doofus......someone that tries to sound all knowledgeable about cars, but comes off as a supposed "my $h! don't stink" know-it-all that doesn't really know it all after all.

In some ways, I rank him lower than the Consumers Reports testers......if you can believe that....

The fist TSX was a very attractive car with great dynamics. The new TSX is ghastly. This isn't the first negative review of this car.

Acura is losing it's way.

Agreed.

Although I will say there might be some truth to Siegen's bad day theory.

I don't know about the TSX.....I've never driven it.....(the new one).....

But I've always thought of Healy as a real doofus......someone that tries to sound all knowledgeable about cars, but comes off as a supposed "my $h! don't stink" know-it-all that doesn't really know it all after all.

In some ways, I rank him lower than the Consumers Reports testers......if you can believe that....

sometimes he is dead on. sometimes he is wayyyyy off. and sometimes he gets fixated on really dumb stuff.

but a few cars i am pretty familiar with, the astra, the taurus, the flex, his review was fairly close to some things i felt about those vehicles. i've noticed too about a lot of his other reviews he does seem to echo a lot of what i think when i test drive something.

Amazing to see Honda get bad press...usually they walk on water, cure cancer, can do no wrong. But, also, IIRC, Clarkson on TG didn't like the current Civic Type R as much as the previous one.

Amazing to see Honda get bad press...usually they walk on water, cure cancer, can do no wrong. But, also, IIRC, Clarkson on TG didn't like the current Civic Type R as much as the previous one.

Unlike a lot of guys here I know a fair number of people into Hondas, and a lot of them would agree with Clarkson.

Chris

The fist TSX was a very attractive car with great dynamics. The new TSX is ghastly. This isn't the first negative review of this car.

This review mentions that weird steering as well:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009-acura-tsx-review/

+1

Chris

Lol, how is Acura losing their way? They have been doing things mostly the same since the introduction of Acura. Their recent designs incorporate styling elements from previous Acura's more than ever. Acura isn't losing its way, people's tastes are changing.

I drove the '09 on Saturday. Base model with automatic. Huge step up from the previous TSX, which I drove recently as well (both 5AT and 6MT). While I did like the '08 TSX when I drove them, they were rather mundane. The '09 left me wanting to buy the car on the spot, even with the automatic. Very nice and comfortable interior, with very intuitive controls. I got comfortable driving the car almost immediately. The steering is very quick (short ratio) and precise. It does lack road feedback, but it is smooth and does exactly what I wanted it to. I can say with confidence that the reviews so far that have complained about steering are really nit-picking. The engine is more powerful than before in the midrange, and I had four 170~lb adults in the car. Accelerating on an uphill onramp wasn't difficult, it revved quickly and without complaint, which I did not expect given how loaded the car was and with the automatic (and only 9 miles on the odometer). Above 2500rpms with heavy load (like the uphill onramp) the engine did get a little raspy or coarse sounding, which is really my only complaint about the car. It's not a V6, but I think for a 4-cylinder this is about as good as it gets.

And I must say, this car is very attractive. One of my non-car buds commented on the front end, saying it was "bad ass". Yes that's right, the grill and all. My favorite color is black, but the Blue Pearl color is also very very nice. Overall this car is a huge improvement on the luxury side of things. It felt like a luxury car to me, while the '08 TSX did feel more like a nice Honda.

Now I'm waiting for a 6MT to become available.

I drove the '09 on Saturday. Base model with automatic. Huge step up from the previous TSX, which I drove recently as well (both 5AT and 6MT). While I did like the '08 TSX when I drove them, they were rather mundane. The '09 left me wanting to buy the car on the spot, even with the automatic. Very nice and comfortable interior, with very intuitive controls. I got comfortable driving the car almost immediately. The steering is very quick (short ratio) and precise. It does lack road feedback, but it is smooth and does exactly what I wanted it to. I can say with confidence that the reviews so far that have complained about steering are really nit-picking. The engine is more powerful than before in the midrange, and I had four 170~lb adults in the car. Accelerating on an uphill onramp wasn't difficult, it revved quickly and without complaint, which I did not expect given how loaded the car was and with the automatic (and only 9 miles on the odometer). Above 2500rpms with heavy load (like the uphill onramp) the engine did get a little raspy or coarse sounding, which is really my only complaint about the car. It's not a V6, but I think for a 4-cylinder this is about as good as it gets.

And I must say, this car is very attractive. One of my non-car buds commented on the front end, saying it was "bad ass". Yes that's right, the grill and all. My favorite color is black, but the Blue Pearl color is also very very nice. Overall this car is a huge improvement on the luxury side of things. It felt like a luxury car to me, while the '08 TSX did feel more like a nice Honda.

Now I'm waiting for a 6MT to become available.

That's funny because most reviews have put it as not a clear step over the last one.

I personally like the '09 TSX better than the original... I agree, the original looked and felt like a nice Honda. The new TSX actually looks like a small Acura.

Unfortunately, I don't think some of the new "Acura-look" elements are translating well on larger products. As much as I like real wood interiors, the MDX & RL just have too much of it and the pieces are HUGE. Acura needs to use some restraint in that area. Then there's the front shield... not a personal fan of it.

The rest of the exterior seems to be coming along just fine. The TSX, MDX, & upcoming TL all have styling characteristics that tie them together but without looking like carbon copies (like Lexus).

The RL still looks awkward and needs to be killed & replaced badly. It's as if Acura started to head in a new direction, changed its mind, then went in another... leaving the new RL as a flagship that never really represented the rest of the brand. Hopefully that will be rectified soon.

I liked the styling of old TSX way better. The new one is down right homely.

Have you looked it over in person yet? There was an old TSX on the lot, and compared side by side to the new it looks dated and small.

That's funny because most reviews have put it as not a clear step over the last one.

I'm not sure why some reviews are saying that, it is obvious that the new car is much improved in the luxury and comfort department. It feels more powerful as well; although certainly not V6 power, it is sufficient. Not being one that likes to settle, I would prefer a V6, however the 30mpg highway rating of the TSX sure makes it attractive in its current state.

I made sure to test all of the interior surfaces. The upper dash, despite the slightly odd pattern, is still soft touch. The leather is very nice and covers the arm rests in the middle and on the door. The areas that are hard plastic or "fake" aluminum (or whatever it is) don't feel cheap. The seats are very very nice, without a doubt improved over the old one.

I tapped on the front grille, and it is plastic-type material. I wonder how it will wear over time.

Have you looked it over in person yet? There was an old TSX on the lot, and compared side by side to the new it looks dated and small.

The old one is just the right large compact size. The new one is too big, thats what the TL is for! The new TSX is a full 8 inches longer than the 3 series! Whats next, Camry/American Accord boat sized?

I'm not sure why some reviews are saying that, it is obvious that the new car is much improved in the luxury and comfort department. It feels more powerful as well; although certainly not V6 power, it is sufficient.

I've not seen an article saying the new one is funner to drive than the old one. More than a couple that suggust the other way around is true. So for enthusiast type reviews that value fun factor over a few luxury touches, its not surprising.

Edited by frogger

• 1 month later...
I personally like the '09 TSX better than the original... I agree, the original looked and felt like a nice Honda. The new TSX actually looks like a small Acura.

Well, considering that Acuras technically are rebedged Hondas or mildly re-engineered at best (TL & Accord) I don't really see how (a new) one could seem so radically different.

The new TSX is technically the new Euro Accord just as the old TSX was the previous Euro Accord.

Me myself? I love the styling of the old TSX; Loathe the new one.

Edited by MyerShift

Well, considering that Acuras technically are rebedged Hondas or mildly re-engineered at best (TL & Accord) I don't really see how (a new) one could seem so radically different.

The new TSX is technically the new Euro Accord just as the old TSX was the previous Euro Accord.

Me myself? I love the styling of the old TSX; Loathe the new one.

With the exception of the TSX, Acura's technically aren't rebadged Honda's. The old TL wasn't even close to what you would call a rebadge of the Accord, and the new one is even further different. Looking at the current Acura lineup, it's downright silly to think they're just rebadged Honda's.

Have you seen the new and old TSX side by side in the same color? I drive by a very nice last gen TSX in black every day, my neighbor owns one. I remember when they moved in, I thought "damn, there's my car!". Having spent time in and around the new TSX, I can say assuredly that it is a much nicer and substantial looking vehicle, right down to the grille, which looks good on that car.

I talked my GF into getting the ASpec sport suspension and Progress RSB for her (first gen) TSX if I handled the installation. It used to handle well and ride fairly softly (almost as soft as a family sedan). Now it handles really well and rides firm. I love it, she's pretty happy with it but says "thats firm enough!". Not sure if I'll be able to talk her into summer and winter tires :-(. Took a "beauty" shot of it a few weeks back.

2790468433_a8745d944a.jpg

When we picked up the suspension parts she checked out the new TSX. She liked that you could get lighter interior now without getting wood and some of the extra features, but hated how big it has become and try hard styling features enough to not want to test drive it.

Edited by frogger

• 4 months later...

Well, in any case much of what he describes does jive

with characteristics that I myself dislike strongly in most

Hon-DUH/AcCura cars I've driven...

Their AUTO transmissions are crappy, worse even than

my 1997 Infiniti Q45's in sloppyness.

Then again, if you buy a Honda product with an AUTO

then you're a complete lost cause. :rolleyes: