Chrysler Financial to Cease Leasing Vehicles

The Targa doesn't do a whole lot to address the complete lack of luggage space. A V8 swap is too much work for the type of casual car buyers (middle aged women and image conscious gay guys) who are interested in the Solstice. The Solstice is still inferior to the Miata, and in some respects even the Sky.

The Solstice (and Sky, to be fair) are dropping in value because they require quite a bit of comprimise. Between the pain-in-the-ass top and complete lack of storage space, the market for them is extremely limited. Mazda did it better, they made a weekend toy that allows a person to take along enough provisions for a weekend.

Whens the last time someone bought a car based on SCCA results? I have no need to buy a Solstice (or Miata) because they really don't go well with a carseat. I want a 3rd car, and I'd love a convertible, but a Solstice, Sky, Miata or Corvette are out of the question. A Wrangler, however, isn't.

Gollee, bro, tell us how you REALLY feel!!

I thought it was a little harsh. As a Miata owner, i am actually a big fanboi of the Solstice for some reason.

Chris

As a Miata owner, i am actually a big fanboi of the Solstice for some reason.

Chris

That's a sentence you would NEVER see me posting.

LOL

I don't mind the Sky, the Solstice is kinda ugly for me. The Miata and the Solstice are in the same "genre" if you ask me, and it's not something I would be driving, but I'm not the kind of guy to ride on the back of a Harley either....

:AH-HA_wink:

Hahahaha

(just joking, sort of)

I know it didn't cost GM a whole lot, but the Solstice didn't bring much to the bottom line, GM shouldn't have bothered until they could put it on a platform that gives the roadster some usability, and can be stretched out to accommodate a larger coupe/sedan/wagon that might sell in higher numbers and make some money. Basically, GM should have waited for Alpha, in my mind at least. Plus the Solstice isn't particularly attractive in my mind.

I know it didn't cost GM a whole lot, but the Solstice didn't bring much to the bottom line, GM shouldn't have bothered until they could put it on a platform that gives the roadster some usability, and can be stretched out to accommodate a larger coupe/sedan/wagon that might sell in higher numbers and make some money. Basically, GM should have waited for Alpha, in my mind at least. Plus the Solstice isn't particularly attractive in my mind.

Room for people bigger than 5'8-150 could have been considered also IMO.

I'll bring these back up, in case CMG missed them after he asked for them. BTW, these are the 2 articles used as sources on the Dodge Viper Wikipedia page, I'm sure there are other articles out there about Cerebrus axing the Viper.

Yeah, I missed them... sorry.

OK, I just looked at the links, and there is a SMALL PROBLEM nobody actually seemed to notice....

The Jalopnik site is where the rumors started, but nobody seemed to ACTUALLY READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE!

Let me sum it up best by the line in the actual link provided....

*ahem*

What happens after 2011? That's a question we don't yet have an answer for.
Nobody seems to READ the actual entire page they post a link to- and in this case it's just an article about what the "masses" THOUGHT about where the Viper is going, the title is tongue in cheeck, and it is NOT meant as people constantly describe.

All I can say is READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE.

Here's an excerpt for those tooooo lazy.

Chrysler recently launched the freshened, more powerful, fourth generation Viper for the 2008 model year. Original plans had this car being built for only two model years. It was meant to be a stop-gap model until the next generation "ZC" car could be brought online. Now that an all new Viper won't happen, sources tell us that the fourth generation Viper will instead be built until around the 2011 model year. We'd also venture a guess that so long as the fourth gen is being built, a few of the track prepped ACR models will continue to trickle out of the factory.

What happens after 2011? That's a question we don't yet have an answer for.

It's hard to imagine Chrysler leaving the halo car market for good — but we're thinking the future will call for a more affordable halo. Not just more affordable for the buyer but more affordable for Chrysler build. We know they'll want something that can still put up a fight with the Corvette — at least the base model — but at the same time, be much closer to the Corvette's base MSRP.

Edited by CMG

I'll bring these back up, in case CMG missed them after he asked for them. BTW, these are the 2 articles used as sources on the Dodge Viper Wikipedia page, I'm sure there are other articles out there about Cerebrus axing the Viper.

The SECOND link is an article referring to your FIRST link, somebody ELSE never read the story through and understood, they merely wrote an article based on what they THOUGHT the article was about, after reading the title of the Jalopnik page.

Everybody passes on SPECULATION and RUMOR, and it soon comes out as "fact", which it isn't.

The next generation Viper roadster, referred to internally as ZC-D27 — and ZC-D29 in the case of the coupe — are no longer part of Chrysler LLC's future plans.

That says, to me, that the next generation Viper has been canceled, since I doubt the author just made it up. It is possible that the article is incorrect, or that something has changed since February, but there hasn't been anything more recent than the Jalopnik article about a next-gen Viper anywhere.

That says, to me, that the next generation Viper has been canceled, since I doubt the author just made it up. It is possible that the article is incorrect, or that something has changed since February, but there hasn't been anything more recent than the Jalopnik article about a next-gen Viper anywhere.

The next version of the Viper that was INTENDED is not going to happen now. That is NOT made up.

The Viper will either be left as is unchanged or it will be different than the ZC-D27 that was originally intended, and as the article states it will probably be a car more competitive with the Vette as far as price goes for the base versions...

Nowhere in the article does it say the Viper will be cancelled, just the tongue in cheek headline.

Which is where the stupid rumors started from...

Actually, I went back and reread (AGAIN) the whole article to see where you could come to that conclusion, and found THIS....

Originally, the new version of Dodge's halo car was set to start rolling down the assembly line in January of 2009 alongside two Chrysler badged platform mates. These two new Chrysler branded performance vehicles were to be modeled after the Firepower concept car. The first one, a roadster, was given the internal name ZC-C27, and a coupe version was given the internal name ZC-C29. However we know the decision to kill the Chrysler-brand versions was made sometime in the middle of last year.

Next paragraph....

This certainly would've hurt the business case for the entire "ZC" program. The Viper is hand built at the Connor Avenue Assembly Plant. A plant that, without the Firepower, would do nothing but build Vipers and the big V10 engines that go in them. Its a plant that we're fairly certain Chrysler's new Six Sigma-loving management would probably like to close.

Now what do you think....?

Edited by CMG

Again, since the Jalopnik article, there has been no new information regarding the Viper past 2011, I am inclined to think that if there were something at least semi-concrete, it would have been leaked by now. You're inclined to believe the Viper will stay unchanged or move downmarket. We've just got different thought processes.

Then again, we're talking about Chrysler, so I wouldn't be shocked at all if they show a Viperesque concept at Detroit and have it in showrooms a year later. They do have a history of fairly quick concept-to-production turnaround, unlike certain other automakers who show a concept in 2006 and wont have it in showrooms until 2009 sometime.

Again, since the Jalopnik article, there has been no new information regarding the Viper past 2011,

I don't consider the Jalopnik article as "news", more of a discussion of possibilities from a automotive blog.

I have no idea what will happen with the Viper, I know I have no new Viper purchases in my near future, so whatever it is won't affect me. I just don't think a tongue in cheek headline to an article with a satirical picture should be taken as gospel. Or news of any sort.... these guys are just stating their opinions about circumstances in the future which they admit they aren't sure of and too many people are taking it as Chrysler dropping the Viper instead of reading the article.

Chrysler itself might not be around in 2011, or GM or Ford for that matter, ANYTHING is possible. Why hasten things with these "speculative" articles I'll never know...?

Because without speculative articles, MT, C&D, R&T and every other automotive magazine would have ceased circulation after about 2 months. Thats why people read them (that, and the road tests of cars they themselves will never drive) and why websites devoted to cars (and rumors about cars) exists and why forums (like this one) exist. So people can debate things that they know nothing about.

Because without speculative articles, MT, C&D, R&T and every other automotive magazine would have ceased circulation after about 2 months. Thats why people read them (that, and the road tests of cars they themselves will never drive) and why websites devoted to cars (and rumors about cars) exists and why forums (like this one) exist. So people can debate things that they know nothing about.

Hahaha

How very true......

:AH-HA_wink:

I got this email today:

We are contacting you to let you know that recent press announcements about Chrysler and Chrysler Financial no longer offering leasing do not change our commitment to you. We'll continue to provide our lease customers a superior vehicle ownership and finance experience.

Chrysler LLC is well positioned with a selection of new products to serve you in the future. Chrysler will continue to be a successful automaker known for innovative products and leading dealers. Notable new products include the fuel–efficient Dodge Journey crossover,* the all–new 2009 Dodge Ram, five vehicles that achieve an EPA estimated 28 mpg on the highway and two hybrid SUVs — the Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspen.

These announcements have absolutely no impact on your current Chrysler Financial lease agreement. We'll continue to support and service current and future Chrysler, Jeep® and Dodge customers. Going forward, as you consider your next vehicle purchase, we'll be able to provide new financing options that we think will be appealing to you, such as:

Financing options that will keep your payments comparable to your current lease payment

In addition, other lease options may continue to be offered by your dealer

Chrysler and Chrysler Financial will continue to work together to bring you the best vehicles at affordable prices and to serve your automotive needs now and in the future. For answers to frequently asked questions, please visit www.cflinked.com/lease.

Thank you again for your business.