mustang84

Mercury will compliment Lincoln

87 posts in this topic

RWD cars have been a small niche at GM for over a decade...FWD V6 models have been their mainstay as far as cars..but I can see more FWD cars for GM at the expense of RWD/4wd trucks and SUVs, which was their other mainstay over the last decade.

FWD 4 cylinder cars and small crossovers are the new mainstream.

I don't want to see a Pontiac grill insert on a Cobalt

and call it a day. It's a very cynical act.

Just say no to rebadging.

Yeah, at least give it a front and rear end treatment that looked like you cared, if not greenhouse and interior tweaks. Just putting arrowheads, ribbons, or waterfalls where bowties, ram faces, or blue ovals once were is pathetic.

FWD 4 cylinder cars and small crossovers are the new mainstream.

Drive wheels don't matter so much as general efficiency and bang-for-the-buck.

Cars and trucks are not boxes of laundry detergent.

This is not just a business, and these aren't just products.

It's much more than that. They are an emotional thing,

have become a part of us. It's like they become part

of our personna. Soap doesn't do that for me.

I just read an interesting post on the Ivory Snow forums where they were reminiscing over the death of the Salvo Soap drop in pellets. :mind-blowing:

Mercury has gone this European car import route before and failed. These are different times, however. It should be interesting.

Mercury has gone this European car import route before and failed. These are different times, however. It should be interesting.

Those cars weren't badged Ford, Mercury, or Lincoln. Folks might have responded differently if the cars came here as Ford (or Mercury) Sapphire and Lincoln Scorpio.

Mercury needs to make the Premier trim package the base for their cars, so their base model is like the loaded Ford. The Milan should be their biggest vehicle, discontinue the big stuff. Mercury could be the outlet for the Kuga, C-Max and/or Euro Focus. They'll put the Fiesta at Ford dealerships. Small to midsize with a well made interior, good gas mileage and handling that feels solid and secure could attract women of all ages.

The Milan/Fusion hybrid should be strong sellers, they will get about 9 mpg city more than the Malibu/Aura hybrid.

I think this is a great idea. One of the biggest problems, it seems to me, that the big three have is a lack of distinct space between brands. They are called divisions after all.

GM has this obsession to give every brand a full, "traditional" line-up with a car in every possible niche and style. The differences have to be more than even different sheetmetal. Each brand has to truly stand for something, and the brand image must be absolute. Even if some Bavarian decided that it would be neat to do a FWD BMW, it would never happen because the company knows that it wouldn't fit in with the brand image. Ferrari is never going to do a small, economical hatchback. American brands need to cater to a specific brand image and stick to it unflinchingly.

I love these companies, and I complain because I care. It frustrates me that even I can see the potential that is there in brands that some deem hopless, but instead of truly striving to become great they make cars only caring about trying to make a decent profit.

Sorry about ranting a bit there, but I like cars.

wow, great plan. GM, you listening?

exactly! have i not said this already? its always about women buys! and women don't want a 'ford'. and lincoln was too gray for them too.

women are always about image and the superficial. to keep lincoln and Jill means now ford has some outlet for this bunch.

If Saturn had a clue this is what they would do with themselves......pitch to women. women don't want a 'chevy'. that's also why you just can't have chevy and cadillac only. women will never just want a chevy. they're too shallow, no matter how good you make the product.

Wow................ interesting view of women, you have there.

Just like not all men are penis's with legs, not all women are always about image and the superficial.

Based on your image of women, all you would need, to sell cars to women, is have them all come with 25 free pairs of shoes. :rolleyes:

Sorry to call you on it, but I HATE stereotypes, and being stereotyped.

That said, I think this plan that Ford has looks like a good one. Please let Mulally stick around long enough to see it through. All the naysayers need to sit back and watch. Let Fords actions speak for themselves. To say that they can't change, is to say that the Domestic auto industry is doomed to mediocrity............ so why bother. I expect my 6-year-old to be able to walk into his local Ford or Chevy store and have his choice of vehicles, when the time comes.............. so they had better make it. There is no choice.

nice try

o CMON its not like Mercury's whole marketing message the last few years hasnt already been to pander to the woman buyer

wagner_jill222.jpg

112_news051229_mercury02_z.jpg

or why would they have photos of THIS for interior photos on their web site?

main_int_5.jpg

main_int_6.jpg

So Mercury is the women's division.

Ford is the men's.

Where does that leave Lincoln?

Most of the Lincolns I see are driven by older guys, although I'm starting to see a lot more younger, twenty and thirtysomething females behind the wheel (especially for the MKX).

nice try

o CMON its not like Mercury's whole marketing message the last few years hasnt already been to pander to the woman buyer

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China???

In other words, what does the Mercury marketing have to do with "all women are about the image and the superficial?"

Then there are these gems:

women will never just want a chevy. they're too shallow, no matter how good you make the product.
Milan and Mariner sell huge to women who can not stomach a Ford name on their car

You must have had a bunch of great women role models in your life.

Excuse me now, I have to hit the mall to buy a few grand worth of clothes that I will never wear, to add to my collection of 300 pairs of shoes. I won't be able to post tomorrow, as I have to color my hair to get the gray out, get waxed, get botoxed, and have a bit of lipo. After that, I am planning on maxing out some more credit cards on my way to picking up my new "crystaled" blackburry and Iphone. Then I will have a big discussion with my girlfriends, about what totally impressive vehicular nameplate I should buy next.............. since I just cannot be seen in my Ford or Chevy for a moment longer............. while eating massive amounts of way overpriced food that I will need to barf out to maintain my size 00 physique.

Damn, its going to be a busy day. It is tiring being so shallow.

So Mercury is the women's division.

Ford is the men's.

Where does that leave Lincoln?

With the MKX loaded to the max with bulk packages of Depends, a straw hat on the rear bench, and a "Happy Grandparents Day!" card in the console right next to the Metamucil.

Excuse me now, I have to hit the mall to buy a few grand worth of clothes that I will never wear, to add to my collection of 300 pairs of shoes. I won't be able to post tomorrow, as I have to color my hair to get the gray out, get waxed, get botoxed, and have a bit of lipo. After that, I am planning on maxing out some more credit cards on my way to picking up my new "crystaled" blackburry and Iphone. Then I will have a big discussion with my girlfriends, about what totally impressive vehicular nameplate I should buy next.............. since I just cannot be seen in my Ford or Chevy for a moment longer............. while eating massive amounts of way overpriced food that I will need to barf out to maintain my size 00 physique.

Just don't get hit with another DUI while picking your kid up from school.

if the woman from the commercials wore a lower cut shirt, it would catch my attention better :P

google 'Jill Wagner' photos. be sure to bring something to blot up the drool.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China???

In other words, what does the Mercury marketing have to do with "all women are about the image and the superficial?"

Then there are these gems:

You must have had a bunch of great women role models in your life.

You're taking this the wrong way. Mercury isn't saying "all women are about the image and the superficial". Mercury is saying "We want to target our ads to women who ARE all about the image and the superficial." There is nothing wrong with identifying a target market.

I have to say, it does seem to be working. I regularly see Milans and Mariners being driven by younger, stylish, professional women.... the sort who stereotypically ended up in Jettas and Passats 5 years ago. The Sable seems to have caught on with older versions of the same type.

You're taking this the wrong way. Mercury isn't saying "all women are about the image and the superficial". Mercury is saying "We want to target our ads to women who ARE all about the image and the superficial." There is nothing wrong with identifying a target market.

I have to say, it does seem to be working. I regularly see Milans and Mariners being driven by younger, stylish, professional women.... the sort who stereotypically ended up in Jettas and Passats 5 years ago. The Sable seems to have caught on with older versions of the same type.

exactly. again, women who would not be caught dead driving a 'simple' ford. throw another name on it. give it some voga leather. put lipstick in the console and take a picture of it.

not sayin all women are shallow. that was probably the wrong terminology. 'motivated by different factors other than functional utility' maybe was where i was going with it. there has to be a certain level of superficiality in any product that is marketed to women these days. Women refuse to settle for plain. There always has to be an angle.

Actually reg, since most women are not passionate about driving, they have a tendency to buy based primarily on functional utility.

If they did not, minivans would have never had the sales they had. I just can't see a bunch of guys sitting around a 6-pack, watching the game................. and talking about "stow and go" seating.

Yes there are some shallow, self obsessed women out there................. and yes I am embarassed to be associated with them. However, I by no means think that they are the majority.

Where you got in trouble, was when you painted all women with the same brush. While I am far from the normal woman (love cars/trucks, working on cars/trucks, buying car/truck stuff, hate shopping, and only buy clothes that I absolutally need), I do actually know quite a few women like me.

Now you have to excuse me................. I am off to see the plastic surgeon. We need to talk my latest breast implants (the current ones don't look enough like oversized upside down soup bowls, and DD's are a necessity when you are petitie), my rhinoplasty, chin implants, cheek implants, fat injections, and buttock implants. Yeppers, just another busy day in the life of the shallow female. :) (if someone takes this seriously, I will find you and hurt you)

Actually reg, since most women are not passionate about driving, they have a tendency to buy based primarily on functional utility.

If they did not, minivans would have never had the sales they had. I just can't see a bunch of guys sitting around a 6-pack, watching the game................. and talking about "stow and go" seating.

Yes there are some shallow, self obsessed women out there................. and yes I am embarassed to be associated with them. However, I by no means think that they are the majority.

Where you got in trouble, was when you painted all women with the same brush. While I am far from the normal woman (love cars/trucks, working on cars/trucks, buying car/truck stuff, hate shopping, and only buy clothes that I absolutally need), I do actually know quite a few women like me.

Now you have to excuse me................. I am off to see the plastic surgeon. We need to talk my latest breast implants (the current ones don't look enough like oversized upside down soup bowls, and DD's are a necessity when you are petitie), my rhinoplasty, chin implants, cheek implants, fat injections, and buttock implants. Yeppers, just another busy day in the life of the shallow female. :) (if someone takes this seriously, I will find you and hurt you)

I think I love you.

Anyhow, Ford seems to have been very successful based on what I see in our service dept. I would guess 70% of our Milan sales have been to women, Mariners even higher. I hope that Mulally's plan works... my job depends on it.

I think I love you.

Anyhow, Ford seems to have been very successful based on what I see in our service dept. I would guess 70% of our Milan sales have been to women, Mariners even higher. I hope that Mulally's plan works... my job depends on it.

On a side not, hey grandmarquis, how the heck do you get headlights off of a `93 Marquis?

Hey bimbo, you forgot about your anal and vaginal bleaching appointments.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.