Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The new Camaro...a new Austalian icon or a return of an American Classic?

1 post in this topic

We are all probably well aware that the Camaro rides on a (modified?) Zeta platform, and that the according to wikipedia ( 'GM Holden led the final design, engineering, and development of the Camaro.' However in the latest round of car mags, all of which have a Camaro story, most reference the GM North America rwd Chief Engineer Al Oppenheiser as the man behind the car (Motor Trend says 'effectively the new Camaro's father'). There are also references the modifications done the basic Zeta platform along with some note that the Camaro uses some CTS suspension parts. Anyway, is there anyone here has more inside knowledge that could better answer the question: is the new camaro a car developed under the guidance of people in GMNA but largely and independent GM Holden design/development/engineering job, or a collaborative effort that utilized both GMNA and GM Holden resources for design/development/engineering. Is it more of new Austalian icon wearing a classic American badge, or more of a real American classic with alot of help from down under?

Secondly, does GM send GMNA employees to Holden to work on these projects? I interned at a European company and we had Danish engineers around for a project. I kind of assume GM may work the same way. A project that was run in Australia may be a team made up of GM engineers from the US and Europe even.

Lastly, the reason for this post isnt to question the goodness of the Camaro or of American or Australian automotive engineering capability. Clearly the car will be great; however, on a personal level it leaves me cold when it seems this so called American icon may in fact be nearly the sole effort of our friends from down under. Cold enough that I may not be able to bring myself to seriously consider upgrading from the mustang in about 3-5 years.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0