Chevrolet HHR Pickup?

Eat that VW "Caddy"!!! :spin:

Agreed, it would be cool, with a regular cab and 3-pane wraparound rear glass, like the 1940's Chevy pickups.

I was going to *correct* you by saying the 5-window cabs were an early '50s Chevy truck, then I realized that the design debuted in 1947, so I guess you're right when you say 1940's Chevy pickups (though when I hear 1940's I tend to think of the pre-war design).

I'd love to see what an HHR pickup would look like, but think it would be too small of a truck for the real marketplace (unless the chasis was lengthened). If you ever read the SSR book, you'd have seen the other design sketches being considered for the SSR's style - '30s, early '40s, and some mid-'50s Chevy truck designs were considered before the late '40s/early '50s theme was chosen. I'd personally like to see a small (aka true compact) Chevy & GMC pickup, a'la Dodge M80, come to market for those needing a reliabe but cheap & efficient weekend hauler. Retro design could be used so that it and the HHR match in the showroom.

On a side note, driving on I-295 South last Friday night a new bright red HHR SS passes me. I say to my step-son, "hey look - it's the new HHR SS!" His reply? "What did you just call that car?" (say HHR SS out loud - that name pronounced just sounds so silly versus a "real" name).

While very cool and wild, neither one of those would be based off an HHR...

they'd have to be based off a RWD chassis... :D

Thanks for the great responses....

More and more I'm wanting to buy a single cab pickup, and a small expressive one would be perfect.

I think there is a market for it, now more than ever.

That Flex would look even better as a single cab. Single cab is quite retro when you think of it.

Have always liked that Dodge concept.

When Jeep brings back a pickup, I'd be very tempted.

Well Sixty8, those were design skethces submitted for consideration for what eventually became the SSR (which was V8 & RWD). I think those could be cool little "personal" pickups, much in size & configuration to the Dodge M80 concept:

Well then that sounds good to me. :)

And as far as the Flex, AND the chops based on it: :puke:

Dear lord those make the Sienna look attractive. :blink:

Wow MM,

the HHR p/u is quote cool, except for that gross grille... the Pt's grille is much more appealing!

seen a few (physically modded)- Heres one I can post:

http://www.hhrclub.org/galleries/deg2898/gallery1.htm

That HHR pickup looks better than what I expected. I wonder if Chevrolet/GM has noticed that truck and has taken a look at it? I mean, if they're selling the HHR Panel Truck under the assumption that business owners needing a fuel efficient closed-cargo delivery vehicle will flock to the HHR Panel, then wouldn't the same theory apply to small parts delivey owners that need an exposed cargo area? I think the lineup would be pretty cool - regular HHR 5-door, HHR Panel Truck, and HHR Pickup Truck; it almost be like the Corvair lineup for modern times (Rampside Pickup, Panel Van, and Greenbrier Passenger van).

When Jeep brings back a pickup, I'd be very tempted.

Well, if only Chrysler would greenlight this for North America production:

jeep_jt_ftside.jpg

More pictures here.

You can only drive this thing if you are in the Egyptian Army, although the Jeep JT Concept pictured above was developed by the Chrysler Skunkwerks crew and uses aftermarket parts in addition to the stock Jeep parts too.

7001.jpg

4001.jpg

The grill looks better stock, not liking this treatment, and not crazy about the paint. The truck's proportions are very, very nice, though! The bed is way too high, but it looks like that's probably just because they went for a flat floor - a setup with typical wheel well bulges should be at a nice height.

I like the HHR better as a truck! The pain is a little wild, but overall it looks very cool. The PT is neat too, but I think the HHR looks better as a truck.

The M80 was a cool concept, would probablyw ork in today's market if they offered ity with an quad cab option.

Speaking of badass Jeep pickups, I wish they would build the Gladiator.

jeep_gladiator_003.jpg

Jeep_Gladiator_rear.jpg

That HHR pickup looks better than what I expected. I wonder if Chevrolet/GM has noticed that truck and has taken a look at it? I mean, if they're selling the HHR Panel Truck under the assumption that business owners needing a fuel efficient closed-cargo delivery vehicle will flock to the HHR Panel, then wouldn't the same theory apply to small parts delivey owners that need an exposed cargo area? I think the lineup would be pretty cool - regular HHR 5-door, HHR Panel Truck, and HHR Pickup Truck; it almost be like the Corvair lineup for modern times (Rampside Pickup, Panel Van, and Greenbrier Passenger van).

Totally agree with you. Interesting take on the Corvair parallel with HHR.

I'd buy an HHR pickup.

I'm seeing the HHR closed panel trucklet more and more, both blank and business logos.

I have to agree as well.

The multiple bodystyles of the same vehicle approach is one that GM has ignored too long! It's a great way to do things. They should have done the same for the G8 by including the sportwagon along with the sedan and the ST.

The G8 should be:

1. 4 door sedan short wheelbase

2. 4 door sedan long wheelbase

3. 2 door pillarless hardtop (I love DF's chop BTW)

4. 2 door convertible

5. Station wagon (sport, estate... spin it any way you want)

Now THAT is platform sharing!!!

The G8 should be:

1. 4 door sedan short wheelbase

2. 4 door sedan long wheelbase

3. 2 door pillarless hardtop (I love DF's chop BTW)

4. 2 door convertible

5. Station wagon (sport, estate... spin it any way you want)

Now THAT is platform sharing!!!

Agreed!

If there is one thing from the past I'd like to see is that, multiple variations of the same car.

Edited by HarleyEarl