Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Diamonds In The Rough

Yeah, we know there is a certain crowd (trailer trash, ghetto folks, poor people, hillbillies) that drives these cars into the ground....or bought them that way. But does that mean said cars are not worth the trouble to do a little something with? Not worth saving? Maybe building for a little SCCA track action, engine swapping, a clean cruiser, or even a kit car or electric/biodiesel conversion?

Even if they aren't a loser's car, maybe it's simply something you often see parked with "For Sale $1000" written on the window in white shoe polish.

Rules: No, you can't name off muscle cars, pony cars, or anything from 1969 or older. No Z's, RX-7s, Supras and such either...or Hondas or air cooled VWs. Those are all givens. Nothing rare like Rover Vitesses either.

I'm talkin' more like:

Volvo 240s:

or a Pontiac Grand Am?:

Anyways, hopefully you get the idea...and as you can likely tell:

157k9k3.jpg

Or youtube vids or something like that. It can be chops, photos of a stock one, whatever.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last gen. Pre-LT1 B-body. My Roadmonster is living proof.

1000167bv8.jpg

I'm so jealous. I'd kill to be able to have one of those wagons but they simply do not exist around here. I'd drive it every day if it had a six or baby eight. I've seen exactly one Oldsmobile Cutlass wagon of that vintage in a driveway twenty miles away ONCE like four years ago, and another that was rotted up to the door handles on the road about three years ago.

$h!, I even wish I could get my '77 Cutlass Supreme sedan back. I loved that ugly tank!

poo052.jpg

I paid $230 for this car and drove the wheels off of it. Ran like a champ and never ever EVER let me down. The only reason I don't completely kick myself for getting rid of it is that it resulted in me getting my '67 Eldorado. But man, I wish I had it again!

I paid $230 for this car and drove the wheels off of it. Ran like a champ and never ever EVER let me down. The only reason I don't completely kick myself for getting rid of it is that it resulted in me getting my '67 Eldorado. But man, I wish I had it again!

When I lived in Florida in the '80s, there was one of these, same color combo, very rusty...the body mounts to the frame must have been

rusted out, because the body sat maybe 10 degrees or so off of straight..so it looked very wierd going down the road.

$h!, I even wish I could get my '77 Cutlass Supreme sedan back. I loved that ugly tank!

poo052.jpg

I think those year Cutlasses are beautiful. I value that far more than any Eldorado.

One thing I couldn't stand when searching for good vids is so many of them play that corny techno music.

Like this one with this fairly interesting 77 Olds Omega:

It's like Fast & Furious meets Night At The Roxbury. It's bad enough hearing South rap.

And hey, everyone, let's not post such ginormous pics. Having to constantly horizontally scroll the post is annoying.

Edited by LosAngeles

poo052.jpg

mmmm waterfall grilley

One thing I couldn't stand when searching for good vids is so many of them play that corny techno music.

Like this one with this fairly interesting 77 Olds Omega:

It's like Fast & Furious meets Night At The Roxbury. It's bad enough hearing South rap.

And hey, everyone, let's not post such ginormous pics. Having to constantly horizontally scroll the post is annoying.

Ah the Lancer, a very rare care from that era. I love the way these things looks, especially the Shelbys. I've seen exactly one, a gray one on the road ever.

I submit the Shadow 2.2 Turbo and the Spirit R/T

I'd crush more than a few '77 Oldsmobile ANYTHINGS to save a '67-'70 Eldorado,

but after '71 it was all downhill... can't understand why people think mid 1970s

Eldorados are worth more than a typical POS 1970s car... yes they were going to

be the "last" of the convertibles... *yawn* it's 2008, we all know ragtops exists

to this day, having mae their "comeback" in the 1980s.

I'd crush more than a few '77 Oldsmobile ANYTHINGS to save a '67-'70 Eldorado,

but after '71 it was all downhill... can't understand why people think mid 1970s

Eldorados are worth more than a typical POS 1970s car... yes they were going to

be the "last" of the convertibles... *yawn* it's 2008, we all know ragtops exists

to this day, having mae their "comeback" in the 1980s.

My favorite Eldos are the '67-70s, but I like the mid '70s convertibles for their outrageousness, their aircraft-carrier dimensions...last of the truly huge land yachts.

Yes to '70s Eldos... but my point is that I despise them for being so damn overpriced.

Makes me not want one at all. If I ever find a cheap mid-1970s Eldo I'll use it for a

winter beater so long as I can afford to feed that thirsty 8.2 liter. Just to piss off all

the stupid morons who walk right past a clean, original '49 Cadillac fastback or '61

Sedan deVille hardtop, only to drool at some ugly-assed '78 Eldo. "coupe" :rolleyes:

LA: While I still think they're disposable appliances I will agree that

1980s Toyotas were more exciting, original, durable & interesting

than anything the company makes today. Not to mention back then

they were a decent value.

Nowadays a moron who got a D+ in home economics back at his

high school should be able to see they are amongst the most over

priced and over rated crappiles out there.

I love how, in the late 1990s when Toyota had the "Echo" :puke:

one of the Auto rags was quoted as saying:

The Toyota Echo is one of the cheapest and yet also most

overpriced cars sold today in the USA.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Nice lookin' wagon, Camino...looking forward to updates ;).

I even wish I could get my '77 Cutlass Supreme sedan back. I loved that ugly tank!

poo052.jpg

*sighs*

And I wish I had bought it from you...................

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I ain't ready for the junkyard yet" ... George Jones ... 'I Don't Need Your Rocking Chair'

While I basically hate the Dodge Aries, I had no idea there was a Shelby Turbo version (and a wagon at that?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDL1asy9QMA

Nice! I never cared for the Aries much per say, but I have a soft spot for the wagon since we used to own one. I had no idea that had a Shelby Z 2.2 Turbo. That's sweet!

On a side note, Davdsfarm is fun to watch.

Edited by Dodgefan

Nice! I never cared for the Aries much per say, but I have a soft spot for the wagon since we used to own one. I had no idea that had a Shelby Z 2.2 Turbo. That's sweet!

Kinda cool...I recall reading about someone putting a modded Shelby turbo engine, etc. in a Caravan or Voyager..was quite fast, IIRC.

I'm confused as all hell....

Why are people using W-body, K-car Mopar era FWD-ers,

front wheel drive and "redeming"[/b] in the same sentance?

I'm confused as all hell....

Why are people using W-body, K-car Mopar era FWD-ers,

front wheel drive and "redeming"[/b] in the same sentance?

Different people, different interests...not everyone has your tastes....something you can't seem to comprehend, but the world doesn't revolve around you.

Yeah, he's got a lot of entertaining clips on there, all those Canadian cancer patients he owns.

I'll be a big city guy forever, but I now wonder where I can find a nice monster plot of land to do whatever I like with cars on.

Am I the only one who gets a Drew Peterson vibe from him?

Different people, different interests...not everyone has your tastes....something you can't seem to comprehend, but the world doesn't revolve around you.

I'm sayin', is his point to troll using his anti-FWD worldview? Keep in mind he loves the 67-70 Eldorado, one of the more tragic fronties ever built IMO.

In any event, as I dove deeper, I got further and further taken aback by how much the North American market has pretty much succumbed the bread and butter segments to front-drive, as if it was absolutely what a car should be. I don't mind with the compacts, but I think the intermediate and big cars had their appeal neutered.

But apart from drive wheels, I think the bias towards automatic transmissions on most cars is a bigger scourge. Renders every car little more than a work-kids-groceries throwaway runabout.

I'm sayin', is his point to troll using his anti-FWD worldview? Keep in mind he loves the 67-70 Eldorado, one of the more tragic fronties ever built IMO.

In any event, as I dove deeper, I got further and further taken aback by how much the North American market has pretty much succumbed the bread and butter segments to front-drive, as if it was absolutely what a car should be. I don't mind with the compacts, but I think the intermediate and big cars had their appeal neutered.

But apart from drive wheels, I think the bias towards automatic transmissions on most cars is a bigger scourge. Renders every car little more than a work-kids-groceries throwaway runabout.

It's been going that way since the '80s, when GM switched to FWD generics, Chrysler went to FWD everything, and Ford came out w/ the Taurus...the mass market has moved to FWD, V6 automatic midsize generics. Most people are not car enthusiasts, they just want a reliable, affordable, transportation device to get from point A to point B. Such is life.

Edited by moltar

It's been going that way since the '80s, when GM switched to FWD generics, Chrysler went to FWD everything, and Ford came out w/ the Taurus...the mass market has moved to FWD, V6 automatic midsize generics. Most people are not car enthusiasts, they just want a reliable, affordable, transportation device to get from point A to point B. Such is life.

Sad reality, that.

But none of these cars really qualify for saving - let alone any sort of "classic" moniker.

Nice lookin' wagon, Camino...looking forward to updates ;).

*sighs*

And I wish I had bought it from you...................

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I ain't ready for the junkyard yet" ... George Jones ... 'I Don't Need Your Rocking Chair'

No kidding, that is a nice Cutty...

Although the 1950's and 1960's were filled with generic, disposable cars also. We just don't remember them.

There are plenty of modern cars, GM and non GM, that are worth loving/saving. They are just lower production specialty type cars.

Chris

I'll give you the transmission part (paddle and toggle shifting options have opened things up for the automatic side). But as far as drive wheels, I don't think it rates to the point-A/point-B types whether it's front or rear. It would be nice if there was a bone thrown to those for whom it does rate (not to beat that dead horse, however). I think engineering has caught up enough regarding fuel economy, weight savings, safety features, and such.

80s and 90s Thunderbirds

First the Fox 80s car:

Then its successor with the independent rear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1yzl2oEgqs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA9w9rtXm_4

The Fox 80's 'bird was a very good car. I loved watching those race in NASCAR, back in the days when NASCAR was NASCAR.

Chris

I'll give you the transmission part (paddle and toggle shifting options have opened things up for the automatic side). But as far as drive wheels, I don't think it rates to the point-A/point-B types whether it's front or rear. It would be nice if there was a bone thrown to those for whom it does rate (not to beat that dead horse, however). I think engineering has caught up enough regarding fuel economy, weight savings, safety features, and such.

Cool modern FWD cars, IMHO-

VW GTI

HHR

Cobalt SS

ASTRA

Euro Focus

MINI Cooper S

VW Jetta TDI

Volvo C-30 (FWD I think, not sure)

Mazdaspeed 3

Cool modern RWD cars

Challenger

Camaro (to be released in Jan)

Mustang

CTS Cadillac

Solstice

Sky

Miata

S2000

RX-8

350Z

Room for both when it comes to fun cars, I think.

Chris

I would rather have the 2 I have than something from the 50's and 60's or earlier. They are much easier to live with if you have to for a daily driver. But they are still classic RWD V8. That is a nice Olds wagon though even though that body style was a rustbucket around here so you dont see them vary much. And I feel FWD has a place in history also.

And I feel FWD has a place in history also.

Cord L29

Cord 810, 812 "coffin nose"

Citroen traction Avant

67-70 Cadillac "Razorback" Eldorado

66-73 Oldsmobile Toronado

and (personal favorite as far as "modern" FWD cars...)

80-85 Cadillac "Bustleback" Seville

The SRT4 is one helluva car, for a modern FWDer....

but what's the point of FWD & turbocharging a 4 if you're

only going to get 13.5 MPG in the real world!?!?!?!

Seriously, and if you get the bigger injectors to tear up

the dragway even more, faster, quicker, then you might

as well be feeding a 455 powered 442.

Just like doing everything done with these ubiquitous and redundant big V-8s, might as well try your hand at a V-12, make it a real challenge.

Cord L29

Cord 810, 812 "coffin nose"

Citroen traction Avant

67-70 Cadillac "Razorback" Eldorado

66-73 Oldsmobile Toronado

and (personal favorite as far as "modern" FWD cars...)

80-85 Cadillac "Bustleback" Seville

I like the '79-85 Eldorado and Riviera also....

As far as modern FWD, I like the current Acura TL, the 2nd gen Chrysler LHs, the first and second gen Acura Legends (esp. the coupe), the last generation Prelude, the current Saab 9-3.

I would add the original SRT4 to that list.

I was thinking of cars built currently. The only thing I don't like about the SRT-4 is that the motor compartment is very tight if you have to work on them.

That being said, I've seen amazing things done with them as Autocross cars and track cars. I've thought HARD about buying one myself.

Chris

I like the '79-85 Eldorado and Riviera also....

As far as modern FWD, I like the current Acura TL, the 2nd gen Chrysler LHs, the first and second gen Acura Legends (esp. the coupe), the last generation Prelude, the current Saab 9-3.

Last gen Prelude and Saab 9-3 are both way under-rated.

I've also thought of both of these. My friend Steve has a 98 Prelude in great shape he keeps threatening to get rid of, and I think a Saab 9-3 would be a very cool and unique little family car/freeway cruiser.

With a Miata and a Scion xB (first gen) in the fleet I'd like to pick up another car that is a little larger for road trips...in addition to the 9-3 a used G6 Convertible is on my short list.

Chris

I'd love to have one, they are so cool. I love that they have factory dual exhaust. How many 4-bangers have that? Plus the exhuast note is the best sounding of any 4-banger I've ever heard, IMO. It's deep and throaty, not raspy and high-pitched like a weedwacker on steriods.

I'd like one of each, please.

A clean 442 Hardtop as a weekend cruiser and a SRT-4 as an Autocross car.

We had someone bring a GTO or a 442 to an SCCA autocross a few years ago...that thing was a hoot to watch...but they don't like to turn like a modern sportscar.

But that's whats so cool about being a "car guy" there are lots of little interesting corners of the automotive universe to explore.

Chris