Do You Go to Drive-In Movies?

There is a drive-in about 36 miles from me. We haven't been this year (we were gonna go see Wall-E but didn't get around to it) but I did make it out last year to see the Simpsons movie. I like it because it end up being cheaper (even with the longer drive) because you get to see two movies and can bring in whatever the hell you want for snacks.

yes, I forgot about that.....the ol'rearend viewing...ya that's fun too.

It really gets you thinking of all the great pleasures that have been disappearing.

There's something about that big screen against the darkening sky....love it.....bigger than life.

awwwwst5.jpg

Edited by HarleyEarl

Nothing better than this:

Hardtop 2-door anything

Warm summer's evening

Windows down

Date or spouse

Drive-In Movie

driving slowly

pipes rumbling

hotdogs/popcorn/pop

Now that's livin.

Hmmm... I'll go for the warm summer evening, popcorn, and hotdogs, and popcorn part of that - probably in that order. ^_^

Just up the street from work is an old, abandoned drive-in, right next to an old abandoned motel. I think that, given heavy investment, both properties could thrive. The motel (its either a single level or separate cottages, its really run down) because its near a highway that gets a lot of truck travel and vacationers going to Branson. The drive-in because its in a part of town that could really use a revitalization, there are plenty of people and restaurants in the area, but no real entertainment options without going downtown.

On the rare occasion I go to see a movie, I will try to go to a drive-in if weather and time permit. I may be moving to a town soon that has a drive-in theater, so my patronage may increase greatly!

There's a couple drive-ins left in my state, but most are long gone. My hometown had one but it was torn down around the time I was born. I honestly can't recall if I've ever been to a drive-in movie...if I had, it would've been when I was too young to remember.

Hardtop 2-door anything

Warm summer's evening

Windows down

Date or spouse

Drive-In Movie

driving slowly

pipes rumbling

hotdogs/popcorn/pop

Now that's livin.

+1+1+1!!!!!

We actually have a few drive ins down around Charlotte. The one I frequent is a family owned deal that just expanded to two screens.

It's a great bargain... $5 for 2 NEW movies plus the thrill of seeing it outside and the privacy of your car.

We saw the Skeleton Key there one night during one of the worst storms the place ever had. The cool thing was; the theatre only got lightning and a few sprinkles so it made the movie that much better!

I'd love to own a drive in someday. I found a really cool old drive in in Elizabethton (I LOVE that place) TN, still had the old speaker boxes and all!

Metrolina Speedway here in Charlotte is for sale. I'd LOVE to buy that place up and open a drive in/restaurant in the middle of the old speedway.

Here's a website to find old drive ins: http://www.drive-ins.com/dbdisrch.htm?zipc...;status_op=open

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I think the drive in nearest me is in the Bronx <_<.

I'd go in a heartbeat. My car is infinitely more comfy than any seat in any multiplex. You don't have to deal with rude patrons that think that because they bought a ticket that they have the right to talk on their cell phone and block your view throughout the movie while leaving all their empty food containers all over the place. You don't have to pay $10 for a small popcorn and small drink.

There's an abandoned multiplex about two miles from my house that started life as a drive-in. It's an eyesore right now and I'd love for it to be turned into something that plays movies, be it a drive-in or a multiplex, as the nearest theater is a half hour drive in either direction.

Hardtop 2-door anything

Warm summer's evening

Windows down

Date or spouse

Drive-In Movie

driving slowly

pipes rumbling

hotdogs/popcorn/pop

Now that's livin.

Sounds awesome.

There's no drive-in theaters anywhere close to us...

I think there used to be one in Foxboro but even that

is like 45 miles away.... which would be no big deal,

except for these gas prices. :(

I think the drive in nearest me is in the Bronx <_<.

I'd go in a heartbeat. My car is infinitely more comfy than any seat in any multiplex. You don't have to deal with rude patrons that think that because they bought a ticket that they have the right to talk on their cell phone and block your view throughout the movie while leaving all their empty food containers all over the place. You don't have to pay $10 for a small popcorn and small drink.

There's an abandoned multiplex about two miles from my house that started life as a drive-in. It's an eyesore right now and I'd love for it to be turned into something that plays movies, be it a drive-in or a multiplex, as the nearest theater is a half hour drive in either direction.

just curious, wheres this?

In Coram, at the intersection of RT 25 and RT 112. It used to be a drive in (can't remember the name, but I do remember seeing Superman in it with my family), but it closed down for a couple of years and was turned into a UA theater when I was growing up. It actually did pretty well, then suddenlty seven or so years ago they shut the doors and it's been sitting there rotting ever since.

+1+1+1!!!!!

We actually have a few drive ins down around Charlotte. The one I frequent is a family owned deal that just expanded to two screens.

It's a great bargain... $5 for 2 NEW movies plus the thrill of seeing it outside and the privacy of your car.

We saw the Skeleton Key there one night during one of the worst storms the place ever had. The cool thing was; the theatre only got lightning and a few sprinkles so it made the movie that much better!

I'd love to own a drive in someday. I found a really cool old drive in in Elizabethton (I LOVE that place) TN, still had the old speaker boxes and all!

Metrolina Speedway here in Charlotte is for sale. I'd LOVE to buy that place up and open a drive in/restaurant in the middle of the old speedway.

Here's a website to find old drive ins: http://www.drive-ins.com/dbdisrch.htm?zipc...;status_op=open

I think it would be so fun owning something like a drive-in.

We need these simple pleasures in life. I hope they make a comeback.

• 11 months later...

According to the IntraWeb, there remains but a single drive-in in Jersey, and it's way down south in Vineland (2+ hours from me). The only one local to me I've seen in person is the Lawrence Drive-In on Rt 1, and it's been closed at least since the mid '80s and senior housing has been going in since circa 2005. Never been to one.

We had one locally, growing up in MD. I wonder if it is still a ghost town, or if it is being used as a flea market, etc. Sad, really, to lose such a piece of Americana as that. Edited by ocnblu

On the rare occasion I go to see a movie, I will try to go to a drive-in if weather and time permit. I may be moving to a town soon that has a drive-in theater, so my patronage may increase greatly!

Update: I have moved to said town since this post. It's a ten-minute ride from my place:

http://www.milforddrivein.com/

:thumbsup:

There are two drive-ins within ten minutes of my home, and they both still do impressive business during the season. One of them had traffic backed up half-a-mile down the road waiting to get in.

It's a sad that drive-ins are fading away everywhere else. They are far superior to indoor theatres in my opinion. It makes me all the more glad the ones in my area are thriving.

According to the IntraWeb, there remains but a single drive-in in Jersey, and it's way down south in Vineland (2+ hours from me). The only one local to me I've seen in person is the Lawrence Drive-In on Rt 1, and it's been closed at least since the mid '80s and senior housing has been going in since circa 2005. Never been to one.

Funny. I just drove past it today while rounding up some Optima batteries.

The Vineland one is kinda campy, IMHO. I've never watched a movie there. It's playing "Harry Potter 6" and "Ice Age 3" right now, but I think it only runs certain nights.

I don't think I could enjoy a movie in my car... the car is too small, and I'd have to run the car the whole time to enjoy the A/C. Plus, I'd feel like I was stuck in traffic the whole time. Hate to have 'road rage' if the people in the next car won't shut up.

I guess I see why the drive-in is an endangered species.