GM to add two models to new Oshawa car plant

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews...20080728?rpc=44

So it sounds like the W-Body impala will be hanging around for another 5-6 years, unless they plan retool the Plant for EPII which there has been no mention of that I've seen

Wow. Just wow... I'm hoping at least we'll see a heavy refresh to at least keep it competitive. Maybe they'll add some features its cheaper sibling has?

Well, before this thread turns overly negative, keep in mind that the article doesn't specifically say what vehicles will be added. Also remember that it's already being retooled to produce another platform, and if you need a hint as to what it might be, here's one:

productionyh5.jpg

Well, before this thread turns overly negative, keep in mind that the article doesn't specifically say what vehicles will be added. Also remember that it's already being retooled to produce another platform, and if you need a hint as to what it might be, here's one:

productionyh5.jpg

very true, but since there hasn't been any news about closing down the car plant not making Zeta, it can be implied that it will either continue to make the W-body or be retooled. Since there hasn't been any retooling news and money is tight, chances are, they will continue to make the W-body

also, from the other article I posted,

CHEVROLET IMPALA

- Subject to market demand, GM will maintain three shifts for 2009.

- Production extended from 2012 to '13.

OTHER VEHICLES

- A rear-wheel drive vehicle will be added to production at GM Oshawa alongside the Chevrolet Camaro.

- Two mid-size front-wheel drive vehicles will be added to production in late 2010 and early 2013 respectively.

timelines make it sound like the Impala will continue till 2013 and will then be replaced by another FWD. That doesn't leave much time for the plant to be retooled

Automotive News is reporting this:

"GM said it would honor the product commitments reached with the union in bargaining, and that it would earmark two new car models for the Oshawa flexible car plant.

The plant will soon begin assembling the rear wheel drive Camaro, and a front wheel drive version of the Chevrolet Impala. It will also produce two as-yet unnamed front wheel drive vehicles, one to be launched in the fourth quarter of 2010 and the other in 2013."

The plant will soon begin assembling the rear wheel drive Camaro, and a front wheel drive version of the Chevrolet Impala. It will also produce two as-yet unnamed front wheel drive vehicles, one to be launched in the fourth quarter of 2010 and the other in 2013."

After the W-Impala goes away in 2012-13 An EPII Unit will Replace it. That Plus the Camaro Plus a Buick (as the Article reports, be it Alpha or Epsilon), and another Vehicle.

After the W-Impala goes away in 2012-13 An EPII Unit will Replace it. That Plus the Camaro Plus a Buick (as the Article reports, be it Alpha or Epsilon), and another Vehicle.

question is when are they gonna retool for the new body type.

the impala will be made till 2013, lets assume model year so through mid-2012. That only leaves a few short months till the and the new FWD replacement will begin in early 2013. with another vehicle starting in 2010, is it only going to have a short run till the 2013 retool?

question is when are they gonna retool for the new body type.

the impala will be made till 2013, lets assume model year so through mid-2012. That only leaves a few short months till the and the new FWD replacement will begin in early 2013. with another vehicle starting in 2010, is it only going to have a short run till the 2013 retool?

5 more model years of the W? Same old, same old? 4spd automatic? I guess GM has a long term contract w/ Avis to provide 'em...

The Impala is dated now. I won't believe any of GM's press releases that claim they are doing things differently, or being faster or developing "gotta have products" until they stop letting models linger on forever, especially when it is a high volume model. GM of the 2000s is no different than they were in the 1990s, 1980s, 1970s, etc. It is the same old blueprint for managing the downward spiral.

very true, but since there hasn't been any news about closing down the car plant not making Zeta, it can be implied that it will either continue to make the W-body or be retooled. Since there hasn't been any retooling news and money is tight, chances are, they will continue to make the W-body

No, Oshawa 1 and 2 will be merged into one flex plant. The Camaro is made at the Flex line.

The Impala is dated now. I won't believe any of GM's press releases that claim they are doing things differently, or being faster or developing "gotta have products" until they stop letting models linger on forever, especially when it is a high volume model. GM of the 2000s is no different than they were in the 1990s, 1980s, 1970s, etc. It is the same old blueprint for managing the downward spiral.

Its sad when I get Impala rentals and Sonata rentals regularly and the Sonata drives like a million bucks in comparison and now has a fixed center stack.

One of the Epsilon II models that might be made at Oshawa is the Epsilon II Malibu rebadge call the Pontiac G6.

What? So now the G6 is back on? And by rebadge, I really hope you mean a rebadge in the same way the current Malibu and G6 are "rebadges." Maybe this is why the Aura on EPII is no longer a go at the moment.

What? So now the G6 is back on? And by rebadge, I really hope you mean a rebadge in the same way the current Malibu and G6 are "rebadges." Maybe this is why the Aura on EPII is no longer a go at the moment.

No, not in that means, but rebadge as in G5-Cobalt. The next Pontiac G6 will be a rebadge of the Epsilon II Malibu, in the same way the Pontiac G5 is a rebadge of the Cobalt. The rebadge G6 may be one of the Epsilon II's made in Oshawa.

Edited by Toyota.vs.GM

We can only hope it's an Alpha. How I loved the Holden concept.

The Torana was GM's best looking concept this decade.

I really like the front end and the low beltline, and I like the idea of a small performance RWD V6.

I hope when and if the GM Alpha finally reaches production, it retains some of the style from the concept.

No, not in that means, but rebadge as in G5-Cobalt. The next Pontiac G6 will be a rebadge of the Epsilon II Malibu, in the same way the Pontiac G5 is a rebadge of the Cobalt. The rebadge G6 may be one of the Epsilon II's made in Oshawa.

Wow, you have got to be kidding me! The next Malibu is going to have a Pontiac sibling with a kidney grill insert? Damnit GM! You really think the Malibu is going to be taken seriously when it has a Pontiac that looks exactly the same? Ugh... way to blow the momentum gained with the current 'bu.

Wow, you have got to be kidding me! The next Malibu is going to have a Pontiac sibling with a kidney grill insert? Damnit GM! You really think the Malibu is going to be taken seriously when it has a Pontiac that looks exactly the same? Ugh... way to blow the momentum gained with the current 'bu.

Yes, that seems like a really bad move...the G6 is the most distinctive of the NA Epsys, what with the coupe and convertible versions. To do blantant badge engineering smells of despiration and surrender.

Edited by moltar

Yes, that seems like a really bad move...the G6 is the most distinctive of the NA Epsys, what with the coupe and convertible versions. To do blantant badge engineering smells of despiration and surrender.

Unfortunately, that's what happens when you make bad decision after worse. You end up without options. The good news is this management team (hopefully) won't last long enough to ruin everything...

Its sad when I get Impala rentals and Sonata rentals regularly and the Sonata drives like a million bucks in comparison and now has a fixed center stack.

I never drove a Sonota, but I've had an Impala rental and it was horrible. Only the old Taurus was worse. I've sat in the 09 Sonota, I agree that the center stack is nice, and better than the Impalas.

That would make sense, except there are plans to replace the G5 and create G3 model(s), IIRC. Wouldn't tossing the G6 defeat the purpose of the other proposed G's?

If actual Pontiac transaction prices are lower than Chevy's (I honestly don't know if they are), then I'd dump all those Pontiacs to fleets in the US (Canada and Mexico seem to like their twin-kidney Chevy rebadges) and let Chevy go after the retail market.

Edited by ZL-1

There is no point in Pontiac if it is all rebadges. Either Pontiac or Saturn has to go, they both overlap with Chevy, and they can't do enough to make a G6, Malibu, and Aura different enough to justify making all 3. They would be better off putting every dollar spent on the 3 into just the Malibu.

I do like the idea of using dated Pontiacs (like Epsilon 1 G6 when Epsilon 2 Malibu is out) as rental cars, and making the Malibu 0% fleet sales.

Edited by smk4565

The next G6 will be Canadian market only I hope.

I hope it's DOA instead I don't want that. They need an EpII SWB G6 with Coupe and Convertible along the lines of what's out there now. If I was to buy a G6 the hardtop convertible would be the only one I'd consider FYI.

Looks like someone photoshopped a G8 grille onto a Malibu... sort of how the rumoured NG G6 is going to be (badge-engineered from a Malibu).

Moltar,

You are bull$h!ting us, aren't you? Don't tell me the next G6 is just going to be a rebadged Malibu........

:thumbsdown:

Moltar,

You are bull$h!ting us, aren't you? Don't tell me the next G6 is just going to be a rebadged Malibu........

That's what I've heard here and on other forums.... it's going to the $5 rebadge treatment like the G5..

Moltar,

Wow, my next car will be built by...VW or Mazda if GM builds this abortion.

Chris