If you COULD you WOULD!

Let's see wht kind of imaginations you guys have...

I'll start: I'd like to build a '32 highboy style hot rod out of a Peterbilt 379.

Heres something simmilar (but more tacky) to my idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDTh-ELIXz8...feature=related

Just kidding about the Camry. What I'd really like to build (w/ my own money) would be a late model Town Car with the Shelby Mustang 500hp V8, tweaked suspension, etc. Basically, an AMG style Hot Rod Lincoln.

How about you take a huge, be-finned '50s hardtop coupe, give it race car underpinnings and a honking V-8 with circa 600 horse?

Oh waitaminnit.....

Seriously, I'd love to clone a '50s concept car, the original '53 LeMans or the '56 Eldorado Brougham prototype would be fantastic...

Or the center-driver Tucker concept with the turning fenders...

How about you take a huge, be-finned '50s hardtop coupe, give it race car underpinnings and a honking V-8 with circa 600 horse?

Oh waitaminnit.....

Seriously, I'd love to clone a '50s concept car, the original '53 LeMans or the '56 Eldorado Brougham prototype would be fantastic...

Or the center-driver Tucker concept with the turning fenders...

That would be cool... how about a clone of the Y-Job....one of my favorite concept cars. Or the Phantom Corsair, which would have made a great Batmobile, IMHO.

Another concept I'd love to see a running version of was Bill Mitchell's Pontiac Phantom from the late '70s...was very pointy.

77pontiac_phantom_02.jpg

Edited by moltar

After amassing the worlds largest collection of Simplexes? I dunno, I'd probably do something along the lines of this Marmon V16-powered '34 Ford roadster, only I'd choose something cooler to use as my base car.......... or maybe just keep it in the Marmon it belongs in!

http://www.ru2inc.com/inprogress4.html

EDIT: I would also scour the countryside to find, purchase, and restore my grandfather's 1966 Peterbilt 352 COE

Edited by XP715

Drag that rusted hulk of what used to be a gorgeous `57 Saratoga, and do what you talk about doing from time to time: getting a frame from a newer vehicle and fitting it to that. Then stuff a V8, maybe a 340 or so (since i have one lying around), and a 6-speed. Make some kind of crazy rat-rod.

Or if I had all the money in the world, restore it...it would be like 25% original at that point though. :P

DF:

- Worthy proposition.

XP: very cool 1st time seeing that... I agree, rather have that

all aluminum V16 back in the original MARMON it was meant 4.

DF:

- Worthy proposition.

XP: very cool 1st time seeing that... I agree, rather have that

all aluminum V16 back in the original MARMON it was meant 4.

Well that's always best, but sometimes a rare old engine survives even though the car it belongs to left us long ago.

For example: just last week on eBay there was the first eight feet of a 1929 Pierce-Arrow frame, no body or nose save for the cowl, with a running engine and transmission still mounted properly; it had been modified and powered a small sawmill in rural Pennsylvania for the last fifty years until the seller was able to pluck it from the woods.

At that point, the new owner has the right to do whatever they want with that engine (but I still hope the new owner bought it to fix or have spares for another '29 Pierce!)

I'd drop THAT pierce arrow motor into the cleanest, most solid

affordable Chevrolet/Pontiac... '29 car that is in need of a

powerplant since it was lost due to a cracked block or such...

Picture this:

rat rod, open wheel... late 20s or early 30s....

2 foot tall A-frame engine mount holding a RADIAL

motor from an aircraft of the same era... WWII or

later if nothing.... transfer case, or perhaps heavy

duty chain drive to a 4-speed manual & you've got

one hell of a rat rod.

That's my silver bullet.

My most original idea ever. Came up with it years

ago while on a roadtrip down south.

And that was WAY before that dude's slick & sexy

7-cylinder radial chopper. (as in motorcycle)

Just kidding about the Camry. What I'd really like to build (w/ my own money) would be a late model Town Car with the Shelby Mustang 500hp V8, tweaked suspension, etc. Basically, an AMG style Hot Rod Lincoln.

This would be cool. With 5 kids to haul around, I could use a rod like that!

Chris

Get ahold of the 2 Cudas in my garage so I could actually enjoy them.

You will someday, my friend.

Until then...maybe a Challenger (new) in a year or two?

I still think the silver/grey would be kick-ass on that car!

Chris

Well that's always best, but sometimes a rare old engine survives even though the car it belongs to left us long ago.

For example: just last week on eBay there was the first eight feet of a 1929 Pierce-Arrow frame, no body or nose save for the cowl, with a running engine and transmission still mounted properly; it had been modified and powered a small sawmill in rural Pennsylvania for the last fifty years until the seller was able to pluck it from the woods.

At that point, the new owner has the right to do whatever they want with that engine (but I still hope the new owner bought it to fix or have spares for another '29 Pierce!)

Wasn't it Pierce Arrow where they melted down all of the factory spares during WWII?

I think they did that with one of the American Classic brands, I remember reading about it in automotive quarterly.

Chris

Wasn't it Pierce Arrow where they melted down all of the factory spares during WWII?

I think they did that with one of the American Classic brands, I remember reading about it in automotive quarterly.

Chris

Wow... that sucks, but as horrible as that sounds is was WWII....

I can't think of more clearcut, good-vs.-evil war in history!

I hope a few of those pierce arrow parts were recyceld into ammo

that tore through the fuselage of a Mitsu. Zero or a Junkers 88.

Wow... that sucks, but as horrible as that sounds is was WWII....

I can't think of more clearcut, good-vs.-evil war in history!

I hope a few of those pierce arrow parts were recyceld into ammo

that tore through the fuselage of a Mitsu. Zero or a Junkers 88.

Maybe they wne to B-17's and P-51's and a few P-38 's and B-26's.

>>"2 foot tall A-frame engine mount holding a RADIAL motor from an aircraft of the same era... My most original idea ever. Came up with it years ago while on a roadtrip down south."<<

Chrysler built & tested a small Airflow-esque coupe with a radial engine circa '33- I posted pics here as a trivia question a few years ago.

Edited by balthazar

Chris

Highly doubt it was Pierce; they were all done before the war even started. The handful of 1938 Pierces out there were all assembled from leftover 1937 parts after the company went into receivership.

A 1960 Pontiac Laurentian hardtop coupe with an Astro-Jet L36 427 mated with an M20 four-speed Muncie. A guy up the road is selling the parts from his 1969 Pontiac Parisienne hardtop 2+2. The car was one of 10 4-speed 427s 2+2s made that year as they were only a Canadian car. Our Pontiac full-size used full-size Chevy components so it was called an Astro-Jet 427 rather than a Turbo Jet 427. I can get the 60 Laurentian for free but the motor would cost me.