Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New Jeep Patriot/Compass interiors

I've just seen the new interiors of the Jeeps, and I have to say, wow, what an improvement. the design isn't earth shattering, but it looks far, far more upscale than the plastic bin interiors of the current cars.

The images are in the allpar forums, http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?sho...t=0&start=0

CALIBER.bmp.jpg

PATRIOT.bmp.jpg

Edited by Dodgefan

The images are scans from the new brochure, so it's most likely a demonstration of the heated seats.

Ahh... that makes sense. One thing that is interesting, the black/gray interior has a different greenhouse than the tan one. I'm guessing the tan one is a Patriot and the dark one a Compass?

What's with the red target logos on the seats??

I'm guessing that demonstrates the seat heater locations?

As for the interior in general, there isn't much wrong with the new design, but there wasn't much wrong with the older one, either. The problems were all due to cheap materials and cheaper construction quality. This design might look fresher, but how is it constructed? What is the overall materials quality?

As for the interior in general, there isn't much wrong with the new design, but there wasn't much wrong with the older one, either. The problems were all due to cheap materials and cheaper construction quality. This design might look fresher, but how is it constructed? What is the overall materials quality?

Yes, my dissapointment with recent Chrysler products has been interior materials and fit and finish, not the design. The '05-present Grand Cherokee, for instance..the design is fine, but the materials are dreadfully cheap for a $35k+ vehicle...my '00 GC interior has much nicer, soft touch materials on the dash instead of the concrete-like material of the '05+.

Edited by moltar

Ahh... that makes sense. One thing that is interesting, the black/gray interior has a different greenhouse than the tan one. I'm guessing the tan one is a Patriot and the dark one a Compass?

Correct, the tan interior is the Patriot, the black is the Compass. I'm curious to see what the Caliber's will look like.

Supposedly they have been going to great lengths and studying European interiors to make their interiors better. I can't say for certain, but despite the grainy scan, they certainly look much nicer and far less plasticy...so here's hoping.

The dash design reminds me of a cross between the last Liberty and a VW Jetta...simple, and clean (notice the 1-piece dash). VW interiors are certainly not a bad choice to benchmark!

Edited by Dodgefan

Correct, the tan interior is the Patriot, the black is the Compass. I'm curious to see what the Caliber's will look like.

Supposedly they have been going to great lengths and studying European interiors to make their interiors better. I can't say for certain, but despite the grainy scan, they certainly look much nicer and far less plasticy...so here's hoping.

The dash design reminds me of a cross between the last Liberty and a VW Jetta...simple, and clean (notice the 1-piece dash). VW interiors are certainly not a bad choice to benchmark!

GM has been "studying European interiors" for decades and only recently got it right. IIRC, Chrysler was owned by M-B when the original cheap ones were approved.

Also, photochopped renderings always make interiors look better than they are. If you go to the Chrysler website and look at the Sebring interior, it looks kinda nice in those photos.

GM has been "studying European interiors" for decades and only recently got it right. IIRC, Chrysler was owned by M-B when the original cheap ones were approved.

Also, photochopped renderings always make interiors look better than they are. If you go to the Chrysler website and look at the Sebring interior, it looks kinda nice in those photos.

The annoucement the interiors were going to be redesigned came after Cerberus bought Chrysler, I think.

I have some hope, because the Ram's interior went from being cheesy to one of the nicest in it's class. We'll see.

The images are scans from the new brochure, so it's most likely a demonstration of the heated seats.

It's still a MUCH nicer interior.

Starting to have hope that things will improve!

Chris

Be interesting to see what they do with the Caliber. My son Joel and I looked at a Caliber SRT-4 in the showroom when we went and looked at those Challengers, and it seems like they are doing a better job getting assembly on the line done well.

Like I said, Cerebis is giving me some hope for Chryco.

Chris

Here's an interesting video interview of some industry interior experts, including an plastics graining consultant contracted by Chrysler...

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/show/1207

The 2009 Ram is apparently the first to benefit from these soft-look, low-sheen finishes. Perceived interior quality is as much visual as it is tactile. Recent Chrysler interiors have too many angular shapes and not enough layers, giving it a one-piece "molded" plastic appearance. This MCE visually softens the interior.

DG007_009CA.jpg

Edited by empowah

Ford and Chrysler have shown they can move quickly to remedy some design issues, Ford with the Focus just prior to intro, and now Chrysler with the Sebring and these interiors. Hopefully this is just the beginning of a quicker-reacting industry in general, in regards to minor design changes. That black shot is especially nice.

I'm seeing an all-new dash and shifter console, but it doesn't seem clear if the seats, door panels, or center console are different. If they are, can someone point out details that show this?

CALIBER.bmp.jpg

2008.jeep.patriot.20136647-E.jpg

New door panels, arm rest, seats have new designs and double stitching, new door panels, shifter...basically almost everything is new or revised.

The only differences in the seats that I can discern are the new belt buckles and possibly added stitching. Lower third of door panels looks carry-over to me, too. At least the side mirrors look revised.

Honestly, the photo is of such low quality and depicts a monochromatic color scheme that it is difficult to pick out what's really changed. Until I can experience the new interior in person, I really think it looks like Chrysler took a D+ interior and turned it into a C interior. Unless the tactile differences are radical, it just looks like a slightly better design when a complete overhaul was needed.

It will be interesting to see what the effect (if any) on sales is.

I agree Croc. Their designs are not that bad, its just that there is Fisher Price all over the place. I drove a Dodge Ram 3500 for about 2 years for work and it was a great design, just cheap crap for the dash and face of the dashboard.

I agree Croc. Their designs are not that bad, its just that there is Fisher Price all over the place. I drove a Dodge Ram 3500 for about 2 years for work and it was a great design, just cheap crap for the dash and face of the dashboard.

Yeah but with the exception of the F-150 it's not like any of the other truck interiors were better.

Yeah but with the exception of the F-150 it's not like any of the other truck interiors were better.

Our F-350 at work has had it's shifter handle break off FOUR TIMES at the base. It's a 6 year old truck now.

Not "quality materials" if you ask me... :AH-HA_wink:

The Caliber's biggest "con" for me is when you close the doors you KNOW you are in a low priced vehicle. It has that "cheap" feel to it, the older imports were famous for it.

I love crysler interior designs in black....even still when i sit in the breeze...i feel like im in a nice car.

It's the late '90s-early '00s Chrysler interiors I really like, esp. in black..'99-04 Grand Cherokee, '99-04 LHes (Intrepid, Concorde, etc)...the design and the materials.

and you would expect i $15k car not to be so great inside....but it is :)

Indeed. My Breeze (although with the silver fern interior) looked quite nice as well.

CALIBER.bmp.jpg

New door panels, arm rest, seats have new designs and double stitching, new door panels, shifter...basically almost everything is new or revised.

Those two pictures aren't the same model (as seen by the a-pillar slope).

I can't tell by the pictures if the door panels are actually different here (Patriot) or not:

PATRIOT.bmp.jpg

It looks like they may be the same door panels, seats, and center console (one picture just having the arm rest slid forward), while the dash and shifter area are new.

Edited by PurdueGuy

Those two pictures aren't the same model (as seen by the a-pillar slope).

I can't tell by the pictures if the door panels are actually different here (Patriot) or not:

It looks like they may be the same door panels, seats, and center console (one picture just having the arm rest slid forward), while the dash and shifter area are new.

Maybe the materials are just different, even if the design is the same, also I think the switches are new. Although the refreshed Compass has different door panels and seat detailing.

Edit: If you look at the new photos I posted, you can see the while the overall design of the Patriot's door panel is similar, it is different, you can see this by looking at the shape of the door handle recess.

interior_features_banner.jpg

CALIBER.bmp.jpg

Edited by Dodgefan