I Can't Believe Chevy is Ditching the Maxx

Is there a more perfect family vehicle than the Maxx? You get everything: power, fuel economy, quality fit and finish, and ROOM. I need something that will carry kid surfboards (70 inches) while getting excellent fuel economy year round. I'm deciding between a Toyota Matrix with a stick (i like to shift myself) or the Maxx (no stick, but a serene drive experience instead). I don't have the inside scoop on GM's Epsilon strategy. Maybe they aren't making money on this one division bodystyle? Maybe the product planning people don't know what they're doing? Seems like Chevy has done this before (the Nova hatchback didn't last, the Citation did better but not immediately carried through to the Corsica, then the Corsica hatch didn't last long).

I think AH-HA said so on the old boards. I think it's gone when the Malibu gets redone, to be replaced in spirit by a crossover of some sort.

I love the MAXX, but it's cursed with many of the shortcomings of the regular Malibu. It does fill a niche, being sort of the anti-SUV, but the styling is not for everyone. A more mainstream crossover would sell much better.

I love the MAXX, but it's cursed with many of the shortcomings of the regular Malibu.  It does fill a niche, being sort of the anti-SUV, but the styling is not for everyone.  A more mainstream crossover would sell much better.

[post="35990"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ditto.....

And you know, the Signum (loosely-related to the Maxx overseas in Europe) is supposedly not doing well there either (compared to the "normal" hatchback and station wagon versions of the Vectra.)

Ditto.....

And you know, the Signum (loosely-related to the Maxx overseas in Europe) is supposedly not doing well there either (compared to the "normal" hatchback and station wagon versions of the Vectra.)

[post="36347"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's because it's a 2+2 wagon which doesn't make sense.

Just like the Envoy XUV it was very innovative yet wasn't marketed worth of crap. (Like 75% of GM's cars)

I bet the average consumer doesn't even know what a Maxx is.

[post="35779"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You got that right. This is one vehicle they should be marketing big time right because of practicality,roominess, fuel economy, it is a great alternative to an SUV but nobody even knows what it is. The only ones I ever see on the road are rentals.

yeah its true, the Maxx will die after the 2007 model year.. the Malibu gets reskinned for the 08 model year.. and from what ive heard there is only a sedan version in 08.. ive heard the 08 malibu is a home run though.. maybe they need to offer a wagon version of the 08 malibu. GM dont have any traditional station wagons. its a niche market but i still think they could sell decent..

I think the next Malibu should add 2-door notchback coupe and 5-door station wagon body styles, the latter of which would seat up to 8 passengers via a third-row seat. I also think the Maxx should continue-they're very popular in the Rochester area, but they do suffer the many shortcomings of the current Malibu, such as a crummy interior, and the V-6 that never should have made production, along with the confusing and unnecessary decontenting/shuffling of trim levels for 2006.

Ditto.....

[post="36347"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

True..I've read that in several UK magazines that the Signum is not doing well... I've always thought the Maxx was hurt by a stupid name (Maxx??) and dull styling (the Signum looks better, IMHO).

I think the Malibu could do well by having a regular wagon and a 5-dr hatchback bodystyle like the Vectra...

"the Nova hatchback didn't last," The Nova hatcbacks lasted from 1973-79, not a bad run. Then replaced by the the X body Citation, which was almost called the "new Nova"! They lasted til '85, but there was the NUMMI made Nova hatch then. [yeah it was mis-named] The media wrongly says that 'hatches were never popular in the US'. They WERE big sellers from 1973-'88. They just went out of style. Edited by Chicagoland

I was dissapointed too when my salesman told me the Maxx is being discontinued after this year. I almost got one had I not looked closer at the Equinox. The Maxx is a good vehicle for a lot of people.

The Maxx is just so odd-ball...Chevy can do better than this....

[post="39729"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I just got into a Maxx yesterday as a rental car in Reno......and I'm way underwhelmed.

I kinda like the exterior profile of the Maxx compared to the sedan, but the interior was a huge disappointment.

When I opened the hatch to stow my luggage, the luggage compartment (with the seats up) was WAY smaller than what I imagined it would be....certainly seemed much smaller than the trunk in the sedan.

Also, thanks to this "tray" that was covering the luggage space, I could almost not fit my luggage underneath it. I'm sure the tray comes out somehow, but in a hurry, I couldn't figure out how to lift it or move it so that I could slide my big suitcase underneath it.

Plus, the rear bench seat looks awkward, contrived, and uncomfortable (thanks to the compromise I'm sure of allowing the seats to fold/slide, etc.)

Plus the fit-and-finish of the various plastic pieces that fit to the back of the front seat and around the bottoms of the rear bench seat lent an unfinished look to the interior of the car.

The beige interior with the contrasting, darker "brown" accents on the dash top and door panels looked better than the all-sea-of-grey interior on my sedan I rented.

However, the driving experience was as disjointed as I remember the sedan being....with poor, uncomfortable seats, a thrashy (but quiet at idle and light throttle) V6, rattles inside the car, and a suspension that feels less-than-solid with minor quakes and shivers as you go over bumpy roads (even though the overall structure seems solid.)

Plus, I kept pushing the "up/down shift" buttons on the side of the shifter to manually move the shifter instead of the acutal button on the backside.....really inconvenient and who EVER decided to do THAT on the shifter?

I can now totally see why GM won't be continuing the Maxx. Other than an attractive exterior look, I see no real useable advantage to this car over the sedan.

just got into a Maxx yesterday as a rental car in Reno......and I'm way underwhelmed.

I kinda like the exterior profile of the Maxx compared to the sedan, but the interior was a huge disappointment.

When I opened the hatch to stow my luggage, the luggage compartment (with the seats up) was WAY smaller than what I imagined it would be....certainly seemed much smaller than the trunk in the sedan.

Also, thanks to this "tray" that was covering the luggage space, I could almost not fit my luggage underneath it. I'm sure the tray comes out somehow, but in a hurry, I couldn't figure out how to lift it or move it so that I could slide my big suitcase underneath it.

Plus, the rear bench seat looks awkward, contrived, and uncomfortable (thanks to the compromise I'm sure of allowing the seats to fold/slide, etc.)

Plus the fit-and-finish of the various plastic pieces that fit to the back of the front seat and around the bottoms of the rear bench seat lent an unfinished look to the interior of the car.

The beige interior with the contrasting, darker "brown" accents on the dash top and door panels looked better than the all-sea-of-grey interior on my sedan I rented.

However, the driving experience was as disjointed as I remember the sedan being....with poor, uncomfortable seats, a thrashy (but quiet at idle and light throttle) V6, rattles inside the car, and a suspension that feels less-than-solid with minor quakes and shivers as you go over bumpy roads (even though the overall structure seems solid.)

Plus, I kept pushing the "up/down shift" buttons on the side of the shifter to manually move the shifter instead of the acutal button on the backside.....really inconvenient and who EVER decided to do THAT on the shifter?

I can now totally see why GM won't be continuing the Maxx. Other than an attractive exterior look, I see no real useable advantage to this car over the sedan.

Well, I'll admit I haven't driven one let alone sat in one yet. But the concept and the pictures look pretty good. Especially the dressed up '06 versions.

Does anyone here actually own a Malibu Maxx? I would like to hear your impressions.

It wasn't selling. GM does not need to prop up losers. The Maxx proves yet again that ugly doesn't sell, no matter how well it works. That thing was just a dog.

[post="39959"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have to agree. I drove one of these as a rental on my last vacation and I did not "get it". The car just did not strike me as anything special and in this day and age of heavy competition you really need to stand out to be successful.