Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Spy Shots: Chevy Cruze shows off its interior

chevycruzeint_lg.jpg

We've got a bit of a wait ahead of us in the United States, but if this interior photo does indeed show the Chevy Cruze's passenger compartment, then maybe it'll be worth it. TheCaranatic.com doesn't tell the source of the image, the Daewoo logo on the wheel indicates that it was probably snapped in South Korea, where the car will be produced for the European and Asian markets. As for the interior itself? Well, based on the photo it looks top-notch, blending a lot of Opel Insignia with dashes of Chevy Malibu to create a very pleasant driver's environment. This is promising.

Source: Autoblog

looks good. it just seems that designers love to put tons of buttons in the center stack.

how do people like the "3 spoke" wheels? i've not driven one, but i just tend to like to let my hand rest in the center bottom when it's lazy driving.

looks good. it just seems that designers love to put tons of buttons in the center stack.

how do people like the "3 spoke" wheels? i've not driven one, but i just tend to like to let my hand rest in the center bottom when it's lazy driving.

Then you're just lucky no-one has forced you to make an emergency maneuver while you where being "lazy". You may not cause an accident, but you're a sitting duck if someone else does. If anything GM has an obligation to make it difficult for you to keep doing that.

I like it! Very attractive and upscale... if this is the direction GM is going with small-car interiors, I have no doubt GM can make a luxury Buick compact to compete with S40, TSX, etc...

Isn't that what the 9-3 is for? I'm not sure if Buick needs one especially if GM does Cadiilac/Buick/Saab dealerships?

Exactly why the Buick oughta be an Alpha and not a Delta.

But then it competes with the Cadillac Alpha...

If the Cruze is this nice I assume the Astra will be amazing... plenty good enough to compete with those other cars. If anything, Buick should get a SWB EPII sedan that's slightly bigger than the S40, the 9-3 could be smaller on DeltaII and the 9-5 bigger on EPII LWB... I guess the LaCrosse/Invicta and 9-5 will just have to be cross-shopped sometimes.

Isn't that what the 9-3 is for? I'm not sure if Buick needs one especially if GM does Cadiilac/Buick/Saab dealerships?

It's not overlap in a segment if they're targeting different buyers. A premium/luxury compact in Buick guise would be extremely different in features, performance, and style than a Scandinavian inspired Euro-sport compact from SAAB.

As you know, there's more to a car than length, doors, and platform. You can even take the current offerings and realize what I'm talking about... a 9-3, Aura, & G6 all sitting side-by-side on a showroom floor would appeal to different buyers... even as potentially overlapping as a 9-3 convertible and a G6 convertible might appear to be. They're completely designed and tuned for a different market/buyer despite sharing the same platform.

I really hope a Pontiac version will have its own complete front and rear ends, along with interior, instead of the grille, carbon-fiber dash trim and taillights differences of today's G5. It deserves the same differentiation that set the Sunfire apart from the Cavalier... is that asking too much? I know it didn't cost much atall for GM to make the Sunfire a worthwhile alternative to the Cavvy.

How about Pontiac getting the sportier version next time around.

RE: TSX/9-3 etc competitor, I'm not sure a smaller platforméshorter wheelbase than the current 9-3 could pull it off well. I suppose anything is possible if they sink enough money into the suspension components.

But then it competes with the Cadillac Alpha...

If the Cruze is this nice I assume the Astra will be amazing... plenty good enough to compete with those other cars. If anything, Buick should get a SWB EPII sedan that's slightly bigger than the S40, the 9-3 could be smaller on DeltaII and the 9-5 bigger on EPII LWB... I guess the LaCrosse/Invicta and 9-5 will just have to be cross-shopped sometimes.

Different price points. I doubt there will be any overlap. As for Buick v Saab, still different price points. A smaller Saab 9-3 is a similar price to a LaCrosse, which will be as big or bigger then the much more expensive 9-5. The 9-3 will downsize slightly, moving away from the midsize TSX/A4/159 (the latter currently priced similarly to the Passat and Insignia), and closer to the 3-Series and IS. Effectively the 9-X then previews the 9-3 (although the latter will remain sedan, cabrio and wagon), and Saab can offer the 9-1 as an economical subcompact to rival the A-Class, A1, Ypsilon and Mini Clubman.

The lineup will go something like:

Brand        A-segment   B-segment    C-segment  D-segment  E-segment  F-segment
Chevrolet    Beat        Aveo/Groove  Cruze      Camaro     Malibu     Impala
Saturn/Opel              Corsa        Astra                 Insignia
Pontiac                               G5                    G6
Buick                                 Delta      Alpha      Epsilon
Saab                     9-1          9-3                   9-5
Cadillac                              BT3                   CT5/CT6    DT7

Brand        C-segment  D-segment  E-segment  F-segment
Chevrolet    Gamma      Captiva    Equinox    Traverse
Saturn/Opel  Gamma      Vue/Antara
GMC                                Theta      Acadia
Buick                                         Enclave
Saab                    9-4X
Cadillac                           SRX        Escalade

Brand        A-segment  B-segment  C-segment    D-segment  E-segment  F-segment  Fullsize commercial
Chevrolet               Groove  N200   MPV7                                          Express
Saturn/Opel  Agila                 Meriva/Combo Zafira     T/E MPV    Vivaro     Movano

The G5 and Buick Delta will not be sold in the same markets, and ideally the G6 would be downsized away from the Invicta/Lacrosse and become the NA version of the Buick Alpha. Saab should offer a 9-2X Gamma-SUV, or a 9-2 hatch based on Delta between the 9-1 hatch and 9-3 sedan. Although volumes are declining a cheaper 4- and 6-cylinder Buick Park Avenue should underpin the DT7. I fully expect the next Malibu and Impala to be downsized so that both can be built on Epsilon II, and the Invicta may be noticeably bigger than the next G6. Note that there is a big gap in Chevrolet's MPV/LCV lineup: ideally the Gamma-SUV platform would spawn both a compact Chevrolet SUV and a dedicated commercial like the Combo and Transit Connect, which together replace the HHR. A cheaper version of the Opel/Saturn MPV, in both MPV and high-roof cargo van versions should be offered to replace the Venture and Safari, as well as a large MPV developed with Renault-Nissan to replace the Vivaro/Trafic/Astro and Uplander/Quest/Terraza (the latter as a GMC).

My Ideal Lineup:

Brand        A-segment   B-segment    C-segment  D-segment  E-segment  F-segment
Chevrolet    Beat     Celta     Aveo      Cruze  Camaro        Malibu  Impala*
Saturn/Opel                   Corsa       Astra             Insignia
Pontiac                                 Ventura  Tempest    Grand Prix/Safari
Buick                                   Century  Regal          Invicta    Electra
Saab                        9-1       9-2   9-3             9-5
Cadillac                                    BT3             CT5/CT6        DT7

Saturn/Opel  Gamma   Vue/Antara
GMC                  Terrain                  Acadia
Buick                              Rendezvous

Brand          A-segment  B-segment  C-segment    D-segment  E-segment  F-segment  Fullsize commercial
Chevrolet                 Groove          MPV7          Kingswood             
Chevrolet LCVs            N200       Express G10        Express G1500   lwb        Express G2500–G5500
Saturn/Opel    Agila             Meriva/Combo  Zafira   T/E MPV    Vivaro          Movano
GMC/Buick (China)                                 Vandura               Savana/Firstland (luxury MPV)

*Impala would be a new vehicle type, a tall MPV-sedan-wagon hybrid primarily for fleet/taxi use. Family/retail buyers will be targeted by the MPV7, Kingswood and Malibu, a large midsize sedan like the G8 and Accord.

Edited by thegriffon

That's a nice interior. It will never see the light of day in the USA.

GM thinks American's don't deserve nice interiors in small cars. They also think we are too stupid to demand them.

So trust me, whenever the Cruze comes to America, you can expect to see cheap plastic, a cheap radio and no screen in the dash. GM will talk about price points and brand positioning etc but you will never see this kind of interior on a small car at any price point or brand.

I DARE GM to bring this kind of interior. I know they won't.

Different price points. I doubt there will be any overlap. As for Buick v Saab, still different price points. A smaller Saab 9-3 is a similar price to a LaCrosse, which will be as big or bigger then the much more expensive 9-5. The 9-3 will downsize slightly, moving away from the midsize TSX/A4/159 (the latter currently priced similarly to the Passat and Insignia), and closer to the 3-Series and IS. Effectively the 9-X then previews the 9-3 (although the latter will remain sedan, cabrio and wagon), and Saab can offer the 9-1 as an economical subcompact to rival the A-Class, A1, Ypsilon and Mini Clubman.

The lineup will go something like:

Chevrolet    Beat        Aveo/Groove  Cruze      Camaro     Malibu     Impala
Saturn/Opel              Corsa        Astra                 Insignia
Pontiac                               G5                    G6
Buick                                 Delta      Alpha      Epsilon
Saab                     9-1          9-3                   9-5
Cadillac                              BT3                   CT5/CT6    DT7

Saturn/Opel  Gamma      Vue/Antara
GMC                                Theta      Acadia
Buick                                         Enclave

Brand        A-segment  B-segment  C-segment    D-segment  E-segment  F-segment  Fullsize commercial
Chevrolet               Groove  N200   MPV7                                          Express
Saturn/Opel  Agila                 Meriva/Combo Zafira     T/E MPV    Vivaro     Movano

The G5 and Buick Delta will not be sold in the same markets, and ideally the G6 would be downsized away from the Invicta/Lacrosse and become the NA version of the Buick Alpha. Saab should offer a 9-2X Gamma-SUV, or a 9-2 hatch based on Delta between the 9-1 hatch and 9-3 sedan. Although volumes are declining a cheaper 4- and 6-cylinder Buick Park Avenue should underpin the DT7. I fully expect the next Malibu and Impala to be downsized so that both can be built on Epsilon II, and the Invicta may be noticeably bigger than the next G6. Note that there is a big gap in Chevrolet's MPV/LCV lineup: ideally the Gamma-SUV platform would spawn both a compact Chevrolet SUV and a dedicated commercial like the Combo and Transit Connect, which together replace the HHR. A cheaper version of the Opel/Saturn MPV, in both MPV and high-roof cargo van versions should be offered to replace the Venture and Safari, as well as a large MPV developed with Renault-Nissan to replace the Vivaro/Trafic/Astro and Uplander/Quest/Terraza (the latter as a GMC).

My Ideal Lineup:

Chevrolet    Beat     Celta   Aveo        Cruze  Camaro     Malibu     Impala
Buick                                   Century  Regal          Invicta    Electra

Brand          A-segment  B-segment  C-segment    D-segment  E-segment  F-segment  Fullsize commercial
Chevrolet LCVs            N200       Express G10        Express G1500   lwb        Express G2500–G5500
Saturn/Opel    Agila             Meriva/Combo  Zafira   T/E MPV    Vivaro          Movano
GMC/Buick (China)                                 Vandura               Savana/Firstland (luxury MPV)

And why again is Alpha not being fully leveraged (especially at Pontiac?)

That's a nice interior. It will never see the light of day in the USA.

GM thinks American's don't deserve nice interiors in small cars. They also think we are too stupid to demand them.

So trust me, whenever the Cruze comes to America, you can expect to see cheap plastic, a cheap radio and no screen in the dash. GM will talk about price points and brand positioning etc but you will never see this kind of interior on a small car at any price point or brand.

I DARE GM to bring this kind of interior. I know they won't.

This is one of GM's biggest problems. That interior is light years ahead of everything in Cadillac's lineup except for maybe the CTS. I wouldn't be surprised if it's dumbed down considerably for "American tastes."

It's almost insulting that carmakers think every American wants a bargain basement interior in their car.

small cars have gotten so much more livable and drivable. I think people still buy as big as they can in many cases, but college kids for example can't afford grand prixs anymore. they can only afford small cars. and second family cars more and more are becoming small cars. it means that GM should not think of small cars as penalty boxes.

GM needs to get the image of as price rises so must size. Almost all their brands and models follow this formula, with GMT900s and DTS at their expensive products, Lambdas and Sigmas closely behind, etc. Did they notice a 3-series is smaller than a Cobalt and sells just fine, in fact the 3-series in July outsold the entire Buick brand by 1300 vehicles. Mini Cooper sales are up 24.4% this year, the Smart For2 is sold out for the year, the C-class is outselling the CTS and it is barely bigger than a Cobalt.

Small cars should not be associated with cheap cars. GM still needs some low cost small cars (like where Saturn used to be positioned) but the Cruze needs to be that nice to challenge the Civic, and they need small premium cars as well, and don't need 7 mid-size sedans that are $3,000 apart in price.

in fact the 3-series in July outsold the entire Buick brand by 1300 vehicles.

That comparison is ridiculous... :rolleyes: it serves no purpose. The BMW 3-series alone outsold all of Audi by 4,499 vehicles and outsold all of Mitsubishi by 3,776 vehicles... Both brands have more than twice as many vehicles in their line-up than Buick (Buick 3 models, Audi 8 models, and Mitsubishi 7 models) and do not typically share showroom floors with others. By this comparison, Buick is doing much better than Audi or Mitsubishi, and Audi sells a car that directly competes with the 3-series... A4.

What was your point again?

My Ideal Lineup:

Chevrolet    Beat     Celta     Aveo      Cruze  Camaro        Malibu  Impala*

*Impala would be a new vehicle type, a tall MPV-sedan-wagon hybrid primarily for fleet/taxi use. Family/retail buyers will be targeted by the MPV7, Kingswood and Malibu, a large midsize sedan like the G8 and Accord.

BTW, all this is done with a minimum number of platforms and even with unlisted trucks is far fewer models than Toyota offers (already many more than GM).

small cars, crossovers and SUVs are on Global Small Car (aka Gamma), compact cars and MPVs on Global Compact (Delta), mid-large fwd cars on Global Midsize (Epsilon), Mid-large Crossovers and MPVs on Theta-Epsilon, C- and D-segment rwd on Alpha, and mid-large rwd cars and unibody trucks (Escalade, etc.) on Sigma2. Lambda becomes a lwb version of TE (as originally planned it was Epsilon-wide). Mid-large commercial vans would be either on TE and the new large truck platform, or on the shared Renault LCV platform. The major exceptions are the Celta-Prisma platform—an older version of Gamma, and the small rwd vans supplied by SGMW (the N200 and possibly larger vans rather then MPVs).