Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Here, Spot! Good Boy...

ocnblu

Yup, it's August... the "dog days" of summer. What have you seen out on the roads?

This afternoon on the way home from a BBQ at my bro's house, I stopped at his local Chevy/Buick/Pontiac store. Aside from the really cool Stryker Blue '09 G8 GT they had, they also had 3 '09 Delta cars, two Cobalts and a G5... the Pontiac in Silver Green, a color I've been wanting to see for months. I feared there'd be too much blue in it, making it a sort of sickly teal color, but my fears were unfounded, imo. It's a goodlooking color, imo, and dark enough to show off the chrome exterior trim package that's available on Cobalts.

For the last few weeks, I've been thinking an '09 Cobalt:

2LT (which sadly is automatic-only in '09, but I want the rest of the 2LT package, so...)

R13 chrome package (grille, door handles, exhaust tip and foglamps)

Pioneer stereo

leather wheel

and maybe a sunroof

in Silver Moss with Ebony cloth.

A short list of modifications: tinted windows and a 1" drop, courtesy of Eibach.

The 2.2 VVT is rated at 24/33 with automatic, which is fine with me, I don't want those hard "economical" tires and crappy gearing of the 36 mpg cars.

Edited by ocnblu

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You left out the part about you buying it.

Wife: "Umm, did Clark Griswold move in next door?"

Me: "Oh yeah, about that..."

Wife: "Hmm... well at least it's big enough for you to live in!"

Me: :wacko:

Looking at pictures online, it may be a '75 (round headlights) or it may be a '76 (square headlights). I passed by it pretty quickly and at first thought it was a Malibu wagon like Camino's. It was when I saw the frontend that I realized it was bigger and a Caprice model (it even had the wood panel wallpaper on it). It is on a route I can take to & from work, so maybe I will stop by to check it out a little more, and even get a picture or two in the process :AH-HA_wink:

Ford Flex (I turned to watch it pass- definately unique in proportion).

Saturn Astra 2-dr.

Jaguar XF: followed a few miles; from the rear:

Fake taillight segments on the trunklid (do not light with either brakes or signals),

Trunk seam was huge at the bottom (no; it was NOT ajar)- could see inner panel easily (and from the cab of a 2500HD).

Exhaust tips are trapezoid, but the circular pipes leading into them are clearly visible- looks very cheap.

Name on rear almost impossible to read- very lightly stamped into the chromed plastic horizontal on the trunklid.

No design 'language'- most will have no idea what it is (esp with vague ID).

Profile is generic / derivative.

Otherwise it looked pretty nice and sat right, but as usual, the details are lacking. At least the lenses aren't held on with visible screws anymore.

Well, that could be possible if GM would be open-minded and bring the Holden SportWagon over here to N/A as the Pontiac G8 SportWagon ASAP :AH-HA_wink:

Or you could buy the 9-3 SportCombi, or the 9-5 wagon. The Astra would probably count, too. Isn't there a CTS wagon coming soon, too?

Wait for sure? You didn't ditch that beautiful Camaro, though, right?

Hehe... you've been picking up on my comments about the Astra, but it wasn't mine. I saw it while driving home from playing soccer in Seal Beach. Regardless, the Camaro won't be going anywhere when I get something new.

Hehe... you've been picking up on my comments about the Astra, but it wasn't mine. I saw it while driving home from playing soccer in Seal Beach. Regardless, the Camaro won't be going anywhere when I get something new.

OK good! I like that philosophy. BTW I'll be back in LA within a few days.

Or you could buy the 9-3 SportCombi, or the 9-5 wagon. The Astra would probably count, too. Isn't there a CTS wagon coming soon, too?

All out of my intended price range (I'm sure the CTS wagon will be too). Not that the G8 SportWagon would have been cheaper than $30k, but I am figuring that by November of 2009 I won't want to spend more than $32k for a new car or truck. I have to find a way to save up some extra cash for a good deposit; however, with our current financial situation, there isn't much available now to put aside.

Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser. Looked just like my car, only with in tact wood-grain and goo rear shocks.

Saw the Caprice version yesterday. It was obviously just rescued from being parked for a long time. The car had brand new tires and had just been washed - but you could see the very thick coating of dirt here and there where they missed with the sponge. You know, that crud that collects on a disused car under a tarp or a tree for a long time.

Did my heart good to see it back on the road.

Was over my buddy's house today - he has a

'56 Bel Air 2-dr hardtop, 350, white over black, decent driver,

'67 Malibu 2-dr hardtop, 350, black (vinyl) over blue, solid, needs everything,

'71 Monte Carlo hardtop, 402, black (vinyl) over white, show condition,

'02 Camaro SS convert, 350, burnt orange, mint,

'08 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.3, light grey.

He has some sort of Chevy disease, but he's still my bud.

Edited by balthazar

vonVee, before I took delivery of my Sierra, I paid the dealership to install chrome mirror caps and door handles out of the GM Accessory catalog. So far, knock on wood, they've held up perfectly.

Spot: a late-model Silhouette van in beige (totally invisible, right?) with a pair of loud, misaligned tailpipes sticking straight out under the rear bumper.:huh:

vonVee, before I took delivery of my Sierra, I paid the dealership to install chrome mirror caps and door handles out of the GM Accessory catalog. So far, knock on wood, they've held up perfectly.

Spot: a late-model Silhouette van in beige (totally invisible, right?) with a pair of loud, misaligned tailpipes sticking straight out under the rear bumper.:huh:

I saw a 1932 Cadillac V16 Roadster yesterday...

Oh, and Ocn, I can't speak for the mirror caps but all the chrome grilled Cobalts up here of a significant age (05/06) the chrome has faded down to the plastic.

I drove by the Caprice wagon yesterday (forgot my camera, and did it again today - sorry!) and it is definitely a 1975 model (round headligths in the square setting). It does have the wood panel wallpaper, and driving by in traffic it looked to be a brown or rust color. It is for sale, so if anyone is looking for such a wagon let me know so I can stop and get the number for you.

I drove by the Caprice wagon yesterday (forgot my camera, and did it again today - sorry!) and it is definitely a 1975 model (round headligths in the square setting). It does have the wood panel wallpaper, and driving by in traffic it looked to be a brown or rust color. It is for sale, so if anyone is looking for such a wagon let me know so I can stop and get the number for you.

Cort's new winter beater?

I just got back from a cruise to Bermuda. 8)

Down there I saw a lot of Opels, Renaults, a few VW Polos, the international Ford Ranger... and a BMW 118i hatch or two. :thumbsup:

Edited by Lamar

A new Mini Clubman, those things are really cool

A new black Sequoia...even black can't mask the bloated fat beasts that they are

A new black Pilot following an older tan Pilot. The old one is bland but the new one is just ugly...it's like a big fat Jeep Liberty with a braces and huge eyeglasses.

A black Charger SRT8

Was back in Millwaukee area again saw a 2008 G8 GT in black with 19's it was wonderful would have been better in white. Saw lots of new Turds but more GMT-900's at the Brewers game. It was one after another. Who said the truck and SUV market is dead for GM? Also saw a Bentley sedan, (big one), a Buick LaX Super in coca and it looked bitching blew me and my sister off in her RX-300. It was driven by a 50 something man and his hot wife. Also saw a Buick Lucerne Special Edition in Pearl White and I think it was a 2009 with a 3.9. Saw lots of Camry's a few new Malibu's in LTZ trim stood out nicely and a ton of Trailblazers and two SS's. I also saw a sweet 1972 Olds 98 in brown with a 455 and a cream top with mags, it was a hard top too 68! Had a nice sound to here as well. But I saw enough new Tahoe's and Silverado's to make any Chevy truck lover happy. Also saw alot of new Aciada's way more than I expected. Even so the new Buick Enclave must be selling well because they were all over. Another thing I saw was a 1986-1987 Buick GN with GNX clone rims and all. Dodge dealer today had a new Challenger SRT-8 it was freakin sweet.

Edited by gm4life

Been seein' U-Boat T-Birds around lately. Also, while seeing a black Charger with black 20s isn't unusual, a black LS400 on black 20s--DROPPED--is. And it looked darn sexy. I love when people customize cars that aren't the usual suspects.

Spotted a Genesis at local dealer while driving by, maybe I'll get out that way today to take a closer look.

Also, we got 3 new MKS sedans in, and two are gone already. Sold a silver and pearl white, still have an all-black, loaded AWD example. Like the Taurus/Sable, it is a high, big, imposing car. Very nice, imo.

Two '09 Aveo5's at local dealer, just off the truck, still "wrapped". One black metallic, the other "Tahiti Green" (looked aqua blue to me). They were sad little cars, especially with their "GM" badges crooked on the green one.

Edited by ocnblu

Saturday while food shopping for my little guy's birthday party/cookout I saw a 1970 El Camino SS 396 three parking spots down from my car. It was a dark green with a green vinyl top (not black like most I've seen), and a 4-speed on the floor. It looks to be a daily driver and in mostly original condition. For it's age it was a real sweet ride! (Camino would've been happy)

Saturday while food shopping for my little guy's birthday party/cookout I saw a 1970 El Camino SS 396 three parking spots down from my car. It was a dark green with a green vinyl top (not black like most I've seen), and a 4-speed on the floor. It looks to be a daily driver and in mostly original condition. For it's age it was a real sweet ride! (Camino would've been salivating)

Fixed. :AH-HA_wink:

Chrysler 300C SRT-8 my neighbor and a my sons friends dad just got it. It is black on black a loaded 2006 with 25K on her. He loves it and broke 150 mph in it! He only buys American other vehicles include a 1994 Suburban LT, a 1999 Suburban LT, a 2002 Saturn L300, a 2005 Equinox LT AWD and his 300C SRT.

Another Challenger this morning in Santa Monica (black SRT8 to be exact)

Which reminded me that on Saturday I actually saw someone driving a damn Ram SRT10 truck. Have you ever seen the EPA gas mileage on that thing? 9/12. There's Lamborghini and musclecar drivers out there that wish they had a shotgun to blow that thing off the road with.

A Smart with the canvas top rolled back and a terrified- looking young girl at the wheel. Her father? was riding shotgun and looking a bit nervous as well. The car was in rush hour traffic and I thought to myself that there is simply no way I would ride in that thing on a deserted road let alone in traffic like that.

A Smart with the canvas top rolled back and a terrified- looking young girl at the wheel. Her father? was riding shotgun and looking a bit nervous as well. The car was in rush hour traffic and I thought to myself that there is simply no way I would ride in that thing on a deserted road let alone in traffic like that.

I'm sure Smarts require adjustment for an American public used to more long legged cars.

Okay, here's some pictures of the '75 Caprice Estate 6-passenger station wagon I spotted locally for sale (FYI: 79k original miles, extra parts, minimal rust, $2,000 OBO):

DSCN7413.jpg

DSCN7415.jpg

DSCN7416.jpg

PM me if you want the phone #. Car is located in southern NJ, not far from the NJ Turnpike, Route 206, and Interstate 295.